HS Hockey Podcast (Episode 16)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

HS Hockey Podcast (Episode 16)

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

This week's episode touches on last week, this week...past region/section upsets and this week.

We also talk POTY chatter, announce our 2 new HS events for next winter as well.

Lots of laughs and fun as usual.

http://bit.ly/2ldEGFW
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Good show about a great weekend of hockey!

A few comments:

No one mentioned the outstanding play of Danny Long to keep PL in the game. And congrats to all the Lakers, perhaps the best show of the day.

No one mentioned Tom Sats sighting at BIG #1 at HF/Tonka game. He was sitting next to Lee Smith who was taking notes on HF. Blades of Glory flags hanging in background. Someone should have gotten a photo.

Regarding YHH POTY controversy, I backed Blake but also stated Gavin was the best pure snipe and had the most goals of any of the three and one of top goal scorers in all AA , just a little behind Randklev.. So, who ends up getting the hat trick at Amsoil!!!!

Full disclosure: Tonys son is going to score the winning goal for Jeff against STA.

I think 1986 Hornets had 10 D1s

Agree Holum will be in goal

Warning to EP: Leivermann should stay back on blue line and not rush deep in the zone as he has tendency to do against easier opponents. Particularly in third period, otherwise risk blown D coverage with a breakaway HF goal to win it. That assume Moe has kept them in the game.

Hmmm, Danny Ryan picked Lakeville South to win 1AA for most of the season.! Sudden change of mind? South will win, better goaltending.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Hey Karl, thanks for giving Greenway some recognition. They have had a great season having defeated two top 10 teams (St. Paul Academy and East Grand Forks) and I think have been overlooked because of the long shadow that Hermantown casts. The only two teams in Class A that Greenway cannot compete with are Hermantown and Breck. They'll be down a little next year, but after that they will be a top ten team again.
SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 »

I tried to ride that L South train as long as possible but they will need a good offensive burst against Mr. Hockey snub Keaton Pehrson to win
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

WestMetro wrote:Good show about a great weekend of hockey!

A few comments:

No one mentioned the outstanding play of Danny Long to keep PL in the game. And congrats to all the Lakers, perhaps the best show of the day.

No one mentioned Tom Sats sighting at BIG #1 at HF/Tonka game. He was sitting next to Lee Smith who was taking notes on HF. Blades of Glory flags hanging in background. Someone should have gotten a photo.

Regarding YHH POTY controversy, I backed Blake but also stated Gavin was the best pure snipe and had the most goals of any of the three and one of top goal scorers in all AA , just a little behind Randklev.. So, who ends up getting the hat trick at Amsoil!!!!

Full disclosure: Tonys son is going to score the winning goal for Jeff against STA.

Warning to EP: Leivermann should stay back on blue line and not rush deep in the zone as he has tendency to do against easier opponents. Particularly in third period, otherwise risk blown D coverage with a breakaway HF goal to win it. That assume Moe has kept them in the game.

Hmmm, Danny Ryan picked Lakeville South to win 1AA for most of the season.! Sudden change of mind? South will win, better goaltending.
Spotted Sats at Braemar for the Eden Prairie/Prior Lake game. He was on the EP side towards the south goal.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

greenwayraider wrote:Hey Karl, thanks for giving Greenway some recognition. They have had a great season having defeated two top 10 teams (St. Paul Academy and East Grand Forks) and I think have been overlooked because of the long shadow that Hermantown casts. The only two teams in Class A that Greenway cannot compete with are Hermantown and Breck. They'll be down a little next year, but after that they will be a top ten team again.
No problem--I'm just hoping for a respectable showing on Wednesday. There was a lot of Miracle talk in the postgame interviews last night...they'll certainly need one in the final, though.

And goldy, hope you enjoyed your Northfield shoutout in there. :wink:
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

WestMetro wrote:Good show about a great weekend of hockey!

A few comments:

Danny Long did get missed, he was a rock for the Lakers.
My son...lol, anything's possible. STA is at least 3 goals better than JAGS. My nephew did it for Breck in 2011.
Karl may be onto something...Zach may start for Rapids.
86 Hornets (Mendel, Heinrich, Hank, Hank, Carroll, Moore are 6 off top of head)
Nicky has to be smart...agreed
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Someone can double check, but I have 10 in my file for the 86 Hornets

Jim Carroll – Mich Tech
Jay Moore – DU
Pete Hankinson – U of M
Tim Kuehl – Notre Dame
Ben Hankinson – U of M
Charlie Henrich – Mich Tech
Rob Mendel – Badgers
Jeff Sanderson – Badgers
John Carlin – Notre Dame
Mike O’Hara – SCSU
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Should have had Kuehl...that is 7 for sure. The other 3, I'm not sure. I'll check and edit later.

Like I said on the show...played against this team. Two times in my life I felt like a spectator on ice:

'79 Tonka PeeWee A (they didn't lose until State finals to Duluth Stewarts)
'86 Edina HS (they lost to Richfield)
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

All 10 have been confirmed. Wow nice work WM.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

YHH

I can't take credit for original research

My files I have in my computer are derived from other people's files, or posts over the years on various hockey sites.

Nevertheless, not bad for a senior citizen? Seniors with good research that stump YHH should get complementary lifetime upgrade to Elite status on YHH website?