MAML Enrollment

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

elliott70 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
elliott70 wrote: But a lot of schools can say at least some of that.

There are plenty of small schools that get pounded on a regular basis but have no where to go.

They only pull a kid or two from the other schools but yet they pull a kid or two from other schools.

Not blaming MAML or others but how do explain their size to the Bagleys of the world.

I am happy they are having success this year but you have your success then move up. That's what some are telling Hermantown.

MSHSL needs to look at what they are doing and decide on what it is they are trying to accomplish and the make rules that work.
They won a quarterfinal game on their first trip to state. Not like we are dealing with a perennial powerhouse where this discussion is even necessary.

If they are told they have to move up, what's to stop them from just dumping the co-op and staying at A? Most of the players are from Monticello anyways. I can guarantee LDC isn't taking on the numbers and moving to AA.. Where would you like these kids to play then? I suppose Buffalo is an option but I believe they have quite a few kids in their program already. Funny no one complains about Becker/Big Lake enrollment numbers when they are beating them by 10 goals. God forbid they start winning and we have to have this conversation again.
I think some of us are 'complaining' (perhaps questioning) the system.
For some of us, it is not MAML but any of the teams that are playing down because they cannot compete. Again for some of us, that is not valid. Compete does not mean win but to be allowed on the field of play. Everyone has that opportunity and the opportunity to participate in post season.

There are teams that play up and seldom get to section finals let alone the X. There are plenty of A level teams that never (seldom) win a game in play-offs. Winning, losing getting thumped should not be the criteria.

If it is then we need AAA and B level so everyone gets a shot at winning at some point.
Brilliant :!:
The U invented swagger.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

There are plenty of small schools that get pounded on a regular basis but have no where to go.

They only pull a kid or two from the other schools but yet they pull a kid or two from other schools.

Not blaming MAML or others but how do explain their size to the Bagleys of the world.

I am happy they are having success this year but you have your success then move up. That's what some are telling Hermantown.

MSHSL needs to look at what they are doing and decide on what it is they are trying to accomplish and the make rules that work.
They won a quarterfinal game on their first trip to state. Not like we are dealing with a perennial powerhouse where this discussion is even necessary.

If they are told they have to move up, what's to stop them from just dumping the co-op and staying at A? Most of the players are from Monticello anyways. I can guarantee LDC isn't taking on the numbers and moving to AA.. Where would you like these kids to play then? I suppose Buffalo is an option but I believe they have quite a few kids in their program already. Funny no one complains about Becker/Big Lake enrollment numbers when they are beating them by 10 goals. God forbid they start winning and we have to have this conversation again.
For some of us, it is not MAML but any of the teams that are playing down because they cannot compete. Again for some of us, that is not valid. Compete does not mean win but to be allowed on the field of play. Everyone has that opportunity and the opportunity to participate in post season.

There are teams that play up and seldom get to section finals let alone the X. There are plenty of A level teams that never (seldom) win a game in play-offs. Winning, losing getting thumped should not be the criteria.

If it is then we need AAA and B level so everyone gets a shot at winning at some point.
There's no way the MSHSL let them move down because they aren't winning. Has to be more to it then that. My guess is that they told them they were dropping the Co-Op if they had to play AA. Then you would have kids with nowhere to play. That kind of thing will get the MSHSL's attention.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

elliott70 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

You think that's why MAML is playing in A? To try and win a title? Maybe they want to be somewhat competitive at a level their association numbers reflect. Maybe starting a program and having to play the Spuds and Rams in the early 2000's was a mistake for whoever put them there. Hard to get young players and parents to come out and build/support association numbers when some coach thinks it's okay to run a score up to 27-0 in the first round of a section game on a new program, give me a break.

Hockey is so much different than every other sport where school enrollment numbers are a big factor in success and the fact that this conversation is still going on is embarrassing. What does them playing AA on most years do for the Rams, Spuds, Jacks, and Warriors come sections? It's usually a wasted game on the schedule for those teams with little to no challenge. Chisago Lakes, Princeton and so on should like a little challenge. Before the second game this year Princeton had beaten MAML in 7 consecutive games so clearly we are not dealing with a dynasty. Zwack leaves after this year as do a lot of the players you saw yesterday. If this is as good as it gets for MAML the next several years what's the difference? Not like they are blowing anyone in A out of the water. When they get to 8 straight trips to state and have association numbers that are skyrocketing suggesting they play AA get back to me.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: They won a quarterfinal game on their first trip to state. Not like we are dealing with a perennial powerhouse where this discussion is even necessary.

There's no way the MSHSL let them move down because they aren't winning. Has to be more to it then that. My guess is that they told them they were dropping the Co-Op if they had to play AA. Then you would have kids with nowhere to play. That kind of thing will get the MSHSL's attention.
Agreed.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

The question I have is how long does the MSHSL allow teams like MAML to play in the wrong class? Someone has mentioned on here that enrollment doesn't matter. That is true for privates and if we want to get into the "recruiting" issue then it doesn't matter for a few schools that do that, but don't be silly and say enrollment doesn't matter especially with established programs. If it didn't, then why isn't Baudette able to win Section 8A on occasion and heck if it doesn't matter, why doesn't their 20 varsity players beat up on Moorheads 60 or more potential varsity players?? Is the opt up/opt down available to schools in other sports? Maybe it is time for the high school league to make schools play where they belong by size. At some point it would take some of the appeal of the privates away. If they were not allowed to compete in AA some kids would maybe stay in their association instead of going there. No situation will be good for everyone. As Elliot mentioned maybe then we need more classes, but I do not get allowing teams to opt down. There are plenty of Class A programs that will never see a state tournament, so why a AA program gets to move down because they have trouble making a state tournament is somewhat baffling.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Green and White Fan wrote:The question I have is how long does the MSHSL allow teams like MAML to play in the wrong class? Someone has mentioned on here that enrollment doesn't matter. That is true for privates and if we want to get into the "recruiting" issue then it doesn't matter for a few schools that do that, but don't be silly and say enrollment doesn't matter especially with established programs. If it didn't, then why isn't Baudette able to win Section 8A on occasion and heck if it doesn't matter, why doesn't their 20 varsity players beat up on Moorheads 60 or more potential varsity players?? Is the opt up/opt down available to schools in other sports? Maybe it is time for the high school league to make schools play where they belong by size. At some point it would take some of the appeal of the privates away. If they were not allowed to compete in AA some kids would maybe stay in their association instead of going there. No situation will be good for everyone. As Elliot mentioned maybe then we need more classes, but I do not get allowing teams to opt down. There are plenty of Class A programs that will never see a state tournament, so why a AA program gets to move down because they have trouble making a state tournament is somewhat baffling.
What do you suggest the MSHSL does with the few Annandale and Maple Lake players that want to play hockey? I would be open to hear any and all suggestions you have. The only thing that would make me sad is loosing the Moose name and having to use the Magic. I guarantee you smarter people than you and I (and especially BoDangles) have had this debate before on thought this was the best option for now.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MrBoDangles wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

Yes! "Dump" the co-op and do things legit without the help of Ward and the two others that are among their top 6 scorers.

:-$
"Just dump the co-op and stay in A"

GoldyGopher's best advice in the whole debate.. :lol:
moosepaw

Buffalo

Post by moosepaw »

Send Anndale/Maple Lake to Buffalo they are already AA distance is just as close if not closer only 10 miles.....
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: They won a quarterfinal game on their first trip to state. Not like we are dealing with a perennial powerhouse where this discussion is even necessary.

Monti would have been on par with willmar or sauk without the co-op..

So that obviously didn't happen..
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: I think some of us are 'complaining' (perhaps questioning) the system.

Monti would have been on par with willmar or sauk without the co-op..

So that obviously didn't happen..
Don't you have a Princeton game to go watch? Oh wait.....
MrBoDangles

Re: Buffalo

Post by MrBoDangles »

moosepaw wrote:Send Anndale/Maple Lake to Buffalo they are already AA distance is just as close if not closer only 10 miles.....
:idea:
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

I am not so certain that is a MSHSL issue to deal with. I am guessing there are kids all over the state in hockey and other sports that have these issues. I do know with co-ops that the high school league uses the host schools numbers and then they have a factoring system for the enrollment of the other participants and free and reduced lunch students drive enrollment numbers down. I believe that the new number for AA hockey is an enrollment of 1179 and Monticello on their own is getting close to that. The high school league does allow districts to petition to opt down. Many schools look to opt down in football and many are denied. What schools do in football is play at a lower class to be competitive and have a decent season, but then have to move to their correct class for playoffs, which usually does not end well. It is a difficult process as you hate to see kids not having an opportunity, but you have to weigh that against making things unfair for a larger amount of kids whose team is playing where it belongs.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

moosepaw wrote:Send Anndale/Maple Lake to Buffalo they are already AA distance is just as close if not closer only 10 miles.....
And I'm not saying they shouldn't do that if that's an option. I don't know that it's been offered or if it has why Annandale and Maple Lake wouldn't take it. I'm from the area so I am well aware of the locations. If I had to venture a guess it's maybe because Buffalo's program is saturated with higher numbers than Monticello is. Maybe those in charge in Annandale and Maple lake don't want to see their kids get dumped on the Junior Gold team unless they absolutely have no other options?

Like I said merely speculation but I'm sure there is a reason Annandale and Maple Lake have been playing with Monticello and not Buffalo, and it goes back to when they were initially placed in AA so it has nothing to do with a better chance to win in a lower class.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
I know of some players from Annandale/Maple Lake doing this in the past. I think it's a good solution.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Roy01 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
I know of some players from Annandale/Maple Lake doing this in the past. I think it's a good solution.
I don't think it's a bad situation at all either. There has to be a reason why they haven't already though which is what I'm getting at.
jhpreus123

Post by jhpreus123 »

There are a ton of items to consider and many valid points being made. Items of importance that are being missed in discussing MAML A/AA are:

1) MAML Youth Association owns arena, Monticello Schools operates it.
2) Annandale, Maple Lake and Monticello Youth have a written Co Op Agreement.
3) The agreement is honored by the AD's of each school (Monticello's AD is in charge)
4) The communities in the Co Op want to support the organization as a whole.
5) There are other factors that are in play and the program has been going through a "building phase".
6) The program has found stability in their Coaching Staff (where historically it was a revolving door).

So simply stating move A/ML to Buffalo is not a solution as they (in the past) were not in favor of taking new kids on..
Last edited by jhpreus123 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

GoldyGopher wrote:
Roy01 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: :idea:
I don't think it's a bad situation at all either. There has to be a reason why they haven't already though which is what I'm getting at.
I'm assuming that when the team was formed Monticello needed the numbers from Annandale and Maple Lake to field a team.
The U invented swagger.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

GoldyGopher wrote:
Green and White Fan wrote:The question I have is how long does the MSHSL allow teams like MAML to play in the wrong class? Someone has mentioned on here that enrollment doesn't matter. That is true for privates and if we want to get into the "recruiting" issue then it doesn't matter for a few schools that do that, but don't be silly and say enrollment doesn't matter especially with established programs. If it didn't, then why isn't Baudette able to win Section 8A on occasion and heck if it doesn't matter, why doesn't their 20 varsity players beat up on Moorheads 60 or more potential varsity players?? Is the opt up/opt down available to schools in other sports? Maybe it is time for the high school league to make schools play where they belong by size. At some point it would take some of the appeal of the privates away. If they were not allowed to compete in AA some kids would maybe stay in their association instead of going there. No situation will be good for everyone. As Elliot mentioned maybe then we need more classes, but I do not get allowing teams to opt down. There are plenty of Class A programs that will never see a state tournament, so why a AA program gets to move down because they have trouble making a state tournament is somewhat baffling.
What do you suggest the MSHSL does with the few Annandale and Maple Lake players that want to play hockey? I would be open to hear any and all suggestions you have. The only thing that would make me sad is loosing the Moose name and having to use the Magic. I guarantee you smarter people than you and I (and especially BoDangles) have had this debate before on thought this was the best option for now.
The solution is easy. If your combined enrollment is over then you play AA as you are pulling kids from both schools. The criteria that the MSHSL set was based on enrollment(not youth association numbers or chances of winning the section) so then don't pick and choose who the criteria does not apply to. If they want the two classes to be each schools picks where they want to be then make it that way! And heck if places like Bagley, Hallock etc feel their best chance to go to state is in Bantam B's then maybe they should be able to opt down there too? Also just because you're in AA doesn't mean you have to schedule difficult teams. There is no rule that says you must schedule all your section teams or only play AA teams. You can schedule A teams and then when it comes to playoffs you play AA where the rules say you should. The state tournament should be for the best teams. Plain and simple. Just because your kid is on a mediocre team doesn't mean they deserve a trip to the state tournament. If they want a participation medal tell them to join something else.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
The solution is easy. If your combined enrollment is over then you play AA as you are pulling kids from both schools. The criteria that the MSHSL set was based on enrollment(not youth association numbers or chances of winning the section) so then don't pick and choose who the criteria does not apply to. If they want the two classes to be each schools picks where they want to be then make it that way! And heck if places like Bagley, Hallock etc feel their best chance to go to state is in Bantam B's then maybe they should be able to opt down there too? Also just because you're in AA doesn't mean you have to schedule difficult teams. There is no rule that says you must schedule all your section teams or only play AA teams. You can schedule A teams and then when it comes to playoffs you play AA where the rules say you should. The state tournament should be for the best teams. Plain and simple. Just because your kid is on a mediocre team doesn't mean they deserve a trip to the state tournament. If they want a participation medal tell them to join something else.
Except for you can't schedule whoever you want. You have to play the teams in your conference. Unless you're an independent like Cathedral.
The U invented swagger.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: What do you suggest the MSHSL does with the few Annandale and Maple Lake players that want to play hockey? I would be open to hear any and all suggestions you have. The only thing that would make me sad is loosing the Moose name and having to use the Magic. I guarantee you smarter people than you and I (and especially BoDangles) have had this debate before on thought this was the best option for now.
Except for you can't schedule whoever you want. You have to play the teams in your conference. Unless you're an independent like Cathedral.
1. As you said you can choose not to be in a conference. 2. In this particular case if they wanted to stay in the conference it would mandate they play 4 AA games( Buffalo, Rogers, Cambridge-Isanti, STMA). 3. Conferences have no ties really to what class or section you play in for playoffs. Many of the conferences are mixed A/AA. Seems like a little to non factor
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
Scroll back a page or 2, find the other 8-10 schools with enrollment numbers too high and head to the MSHSL office to do your complaining. You seem to have all the answers to make the MSHSL fair, perhaps you will be getting a call from the white house to start brainstorming ideas for the world. Monticello didn't just email every other team in the MSHSL and say "hey, we are going to play class A for a few years and try and drop a banner". They went through a process and got approved. Your problem isn't with MAML, it's with the MSHSL.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
7TIMECHAMPS wrote: The solution is easy. If your combined enrollment is over then you play AA as you are pulling kids from both schools. The criteria that the MSHSL set was based on enrollment(not youth association numbers or chances of winning the section) so then don't pick and choose who the criteria does not apply to. If they want the two classes to be each schools picks where they want to be then make it that way! And heck if places like Bagley, Hallock etc feel their best chance to go to state is in Bantam B's then maybe they should be able to opt down there too? Also just because you're in AA doesn't mean you have to schedule difficult teams. There is no rule that says you must schedule all your section teams or only play AA teams. You can schedule A teams and then when it comes to playoffs you play AA where the rules say you should. The state tournament should be for the best teams. Plain and simple. Just because your kid is on a mediocre team doesn't mean they deserve a trip to the state tournament. If they want a participation medal tell them to join something else.
1. As you said you can choose not to be in a conference. 2. In this particular case if they wanted to stay in the conference it would mandate they play 4 AA games( Buffalo, Rogers, Cambridge-Isanti, STMA). 3. Conferences have no ties really to what class or section you play in for playoffs. Many of the conferences are mixed A/AA. Seems like a little to non factor
Good luck getting every team in the state to agree to leave their conferences. You said that schools can just schedule whoever they want, they simply cannot. That seems to make it a factor.
The U invented swagger.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

GoldyGopher wrote:
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: What do you suggest the MSHSL does with the few Annandale and Maple Lake players that want to play hockey? I would be open to hear any and all suggestions you have. The only thing that would make me sad is loosing the Moose name and having to use the Magic. I guarantee you smarter people than you and I (and especially BoDangles) have had this debate before on thought this was the best option for now.
Scroll back a page or 2, find the other 8-10 schools with enrollment numbers too high and head to the MSHSL office to do your complaining. You seem to have all the answers to make the MSHSL fair, perhaps you will be getting a call from the white house to start brainstorming ideas for the world. Monticello didn't just email every other team in the MSHSL and say "hey, we are going to play class A for a few years and try and drop a banner". They went through a process and got approved. Your problem isn't with MAML, it's with the MSHSL.
Maybe you scroll back a page or two and see that I said I don't have a problem with MAML going to A state in particular. My problem is with the MSHSL you are right. And yes I do have the solution and it is quite easy. If you set rules or parameters then follow them and don't make exceptions. And as to the conferences everyone doesn't have to drop out of their conference. Only if you feel you can't compete with the AA in your conference do you drop out. And using MAML as an example they do then have flexibility to schedule who they want for 84% of their games so then I will say little factor as 16 is small in comparison to 84.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
7TIMECHAMPS wrote: The solution is easy. If your combined enrollment is over then you play AA as you are pulling kids from both schools. The criteria that the MSHSL set was based on enrollment(not youth association numbers or chances of winning the section) so then don't pick and choose who the criteria does not apply to. If they want the two classes to be each schools picks where they want to be then make it that way! And heck if places like Bagley, Hallock etc feel their best chance to go to state is in Bantam B's then maybe they should be able to opt down there too? Also just because you're in AA doesn't mean you have to schedule difficult teams. There is no rule that says you must schedule all your section teams or only play AA teams. You can schedule A teams and then when it comes to playoffs you play AA where the rules say you should. The state tournament should be for the best teams. Plain and simple. Just because your kid is on a mediocre team doesn't mean they deserve a trip to the state tournament. If they want a participation medal tell them to join something else.
Maybe you scroll back a page or two and see that I said I don't have a problem with MAML going to A state in particular. My problem is with the MSHSL you are right. And yes I do have the solution and it is quite easy. If you set rules or parameters then follow them and don't make exceptions. And as to the conferences everyone doesn't have to drop out of their conference. Only if you feel you can't compete with the AA in your conference do you drop out. And using MAML as an example they do then have flexibility to schedule who they want for 84% of their games so then I will say little factor as 16 is small in comparison to 84.
You realize that Goldy Gopher and GoldyGopher are two separate people, correct?
The U invented swagger.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
Conferences don't bother me. Personally I think they should do away with them tho. Play everyone in your section 2 times (depending on amount of teams) and schedule non sectional opponents as needed to get to the amount of games you want under 25. But that's not the point I'm getting at. I think for the time being with the number of kids going out for hockey that Monticello is fine in A. You don't, we can disagree. I guarantee that win at the X is only going to help their program getting young kids to join hockey though which is kind of the idea of getting their program on track.