AA Championship Game: #5 Grand Rapids vs. #3 Moorhead

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who you got?

Indians
52%
Spuds
48%

Total votes: 27

Slammer

AA Championship Game: #5 Grand Rapids vs. #3 Moorhead

Post by Slammer »

A 218 Northern battle. Couldn't have written a better script for this one, folks. A dream tourney. Who you got?

I'm going with the Indians. They just will not be denied.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

That would be great but The Spuds are looking good too. Its "Up for Grabs"
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

This just in, Stejskal is really good. He was the difference tonight and could be tomorrow. I'm going with Rapids. Love the All Northern final, can't ask for anything more than that. Well, except maybe Roseau vs. Bemidji, but that's neither here nor there.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Sports is reality tv at its best. The raw emotiom is real, as a long suffering Elk River fan would know. Lou nailed it with his comments on Klatt, the guy played 1,000 NHL and to see his reaction. Then cut to the EP kids...real .
grindiangrad-80

alcloseshaver wrote:Sports is reality tv at its best. The raw emotiom is real, as a long suffering Elk River fan would know. Lou nailed it with his comments on Klatt, the guy played 1,000 NHL and to see his reaction. Then cut to the EP kids...real .
Agree with all of that. We have all been on both sides of those games.
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

Section 8 Feelin' great all the way to taking state

Where are you Slappy?
grindiangrad-80

WendyClark wrote:Section 8 Feelin' great all the way to taking state

Where are you Slappy?
I hear that train a coming
it's rolling 'round the bend
and I aint seen the sunshine since
I don't know when
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:

Where are you Slappy?
I don't know when
Train kept a-rolling all night long
With a heave and a hoe
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Every Day I Need Attention Nanny is not gonna sleep well tonight!
😂😂😂😂😂

That poor sob might have a heart attack!
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I hope no one is tuning out because Casey is done. As a unit, this GR group is just as compelling, and of course Moorhead is still looking for #1 in try #8.

Looking at the last seven, though: 2 were extreme longshots that had upset their way to the final (2001, 2009), 2 ran into the Jefferson dynasty, the really really good 95 team got Spehar'd, the 04 team was also very good but played that elite Centennial team...that leaves 2005 as maybe the only year where they really should have won. That team had a certain senior defenseman named Jon Ammerman on it...

My point: this Spuds team is a nice combination of talent and also lack of pressure or high expectations, given their youth. They're just out there playing very good hockey, and haven't had to endure anywhere near the roller coaster Rapids has. But Rapids is incredibly well battle-tested, on a roll, and seems to be putting it all together.

I'll be in the Spud camp tomorrow night--nice to root for a northern team that isn't a rival--but if I were a betting man, my money would be on Rapids right now.
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

karl(east) wrote:I hope no one is tuning out because Casey is done. As a unit, this GR group is just as compelling, and of course Moorhead is still looking for #1 in try #8.

Looking at the last seven, though: 2 were extreme longshots that had upset their way to the final (2001, 2009), 2 ran into the Jefferson dynasty, the really really good 95 team got Spehar'd, the 04 team was also very good but played that elite Centennial team...that leaves 2005 as maybe the only year where they really should have won. That team had a certain senior defenseman named Jon Ammerman on it...

My point: this Spuds team is a nice combination of talent and also lack of pressure or high expectations, given their youth. They're just out there playing very good hockey, and haven't had to endure anywhere near the roller coaster Rapids has. But Rapids is incredibly well battle-tested, on a roll, and seems to be putting it all together.

I'll be in the Spud camp tomorrow night--nice to root for a northern team that isn't a rival--but if I were a betting man, my money would be on Rapids right now.
Being a diehard Spuds fan for a long time, it pains me to say this but I have to agree with you, Karl. Grand Rapids just seems like they are on a roll right now. The Spuds struggled in the first and third periods against Lakeville South. I think their youth really showed. If the Spuds start out slow again against GR, like they did against Lakeville South, they will find themselves down a couple goals early and have a big hill to climb.

I hope they prove me wrong though and finally bring home the big prize.
Last edited by CitiesSpudsGuy on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
sparty

Post by sparty »

I've never said no to Moorhead.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Moorhead is the more skilled team. They will win.
grindiangrad-80

Not sure what tonight will bring but I hope both teams really enjoy the moment. Right now the Injuns and Spuds are about as pumped as you can get. Take it all in. You guys have earned this day.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

I think a lot of people think GR is the team of destiny, but from what I saw Moorhead plays better as a team. Also, from my limited exposure to both teams, I think the goalie match-up is pretty much a toss-up the way both tendys are playing.
That being said, the top-end talent of GR is so hard to ignore. I live in NYC, so I haven't seen them much outside of state tourney games, but McGlaughlin is the best player I've seen in the AA tournament; I have a feeling he will have a big game, like two goals and an assist.
GR wins, 4-3, probably in OT. Should be exciting!
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:
karl(east) wrote:I hope no one is tuning out because Casey is done. As a unit, this GR group is just as compelling, and of course Moorhead is still looking for #1 in try #8.

Being a diehard Spuds fan for a long time, it pains me to say this but I have to agree with you, Karl. Grand Rapids just seems like they are on a roll right now. The Spuds struggled in the first and third periods against Lakeville South. I think their youth really showed. If the Spuds start out slow again against GR, like they did against Lakeville South, they will find themselves down a couple goals early and have a big hill to climb.

I wouldn't say their performance against LS was an indicator of not being as good as GR. I think LS really came out hard and physical against Moorhead. Take nothing from LS in that game. Moorhead will do fine tomorrow. I honestly don't know who to root for.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

So, here comes the Spuds.
Maybe this time they can win it all.
Hey, I just remembered there was a song written about it

Written, no less, by the late great George Harrison: I wish I could put the music to it, but most of you know how it goes..

I believe it went something like this:

Here comes the Spuds, do do do do,
Here comes the Spuds, and I say, it's all right.......

Music Interlude.......

Little doubters, it's been a long cold lonely winter..
Little doubters, it seems like years since they've been here...
But, here comes the Spuds, do do do do,
Here comes the Spuds, And I say,
it's all right

Music Interlude....

Little doubters, the smiles are returning to their faces
Little doubters, it seems like years since they've been here..

But, here comes the Spuds, do do do do
Here comes the Spuds,
And I say it's all right..

Music interlude...

Spuds Spuds Spuds here they come.....

Music interlude

Little doubters, I know the ice will soon be melting,

Music interlude

But here comes the Spuds, do do do do
Here comes the Spuds, and I say,
It's all right,

Yea, here comes the Spuds, do do do do,
Here comes the Spuds,
And I say, it's all right[/b] \:D/
What is a Green Wave anyway?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I like the fact that the early balloting is about 50\50

Looking forward to seeing these two great and storied teams match up in an epic final game

I'll tell you one thing, whoever doesn't win tonite has a good chance of being right back here next year in the championship game. Both loaded with super
underclassmen, including several MH finalists next year
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TTpuckster wrote:So, here comes the Spuds.
Maybe this time they can win it all.
Hey, I just remembered there was a song written about it

Written, no less, by the late great George Harrison: I wish I could put the music to it, but most of you know how it goes..

I believe it went something like this:

Here comes the Spuds, do do do do,
Here comes the Spuds, and I say, it's all right.......

Music Interlude.......

Little doubters, it's been a long cold lonely winter..
Little doubters, it seems like years since they've been here...
But, here comes the Spuds, do do do do,
Here comes the Spuds, And I say,
it's all right

Music Interlude....

Little doubters, the smiles are returning to their faces

But, here comes the Spuds, do do do do
Here comes the Spuds,
And I say it's all right..

Music interlude...

Music interlude

Little doubters, I know the ice will soon be melting,

Music interlude

But here comes the Spuds, do do do do
Here comes the Spuds, and I say,
It's all right,

Yea, here comes the Spuds, do do do do,
Here comes the Spuds,
And I say, it's all right[/b] \:D/
:D :D
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

If Rapids goalie plays like last night they will win, no question. I'll be pulling for Moorhead tonight though.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Not tuning out but ticket prices for tonight's game are dropping on Craigslist.
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

Mite-dad wrote:
CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:

I wouldn't say their performance against LS was an indicator of not being as good as GR. I think LS really came out hard and physical against Moorhead. Take nothing from LS in that game. Moorhead will do fine tomorrow. I honestly don't know who to root for.
No, I'm not saying they aren't as good as GR. They beat GR back in February, so I know they can do it. And yes, I give LS a lot of credit last night for the way they played. They gave the Spuds fits with their forecheck and they never gave up. My opinion comes from watching this Spuds team all year and I can tell you that they have had a tendency to start out slow in games all year long, and they let "lesser" teams hang with them a lot longer than they should, then they pull away in the 3rd period. My point is that if they do that against a hot team like GR (and GR is by no means a "lesser" team) tonight, they could find themselves in a hole early.

I've also seen them jump on teams early in games too, like against Brainerd in the section semis and Roseau in the section championship. So it could go either way.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:

Where are you Slappy?
I don't know when
The 5th line center is racing for the X, cow plow attached I'm sure.

If they can keep Morinville out of the arena, Moorhead has a shot.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Rapids is hot, but Spuds have the consistency that I like to see. They had the harder road to the finals and I think it will show tonight. Their goalie will put on a show and Moorhead will win 4-1.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Draw a line across the state from Duluth to Moorhead. Certainly no one is tuning out north of that line. Couldn't care less what those folks south of the line do. I tune out plenty when its two south/Metro teams playing for a title.

After 37 years, it's time an IRC team returns the championship to where it belongs. Moorhead will have their shot again in 2018 in another All-North final against Duluth East.

Go Rapids!!!