Today Feels Like the Day after Christmas

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

507Ole

Today Feels Like the Day after Christmas

Post by 507Ole »

We look forward to the culmination of a high school hockey season all year and as I was driving home last night after the game I got that same feeling I do every year. What a great season! This year's tournament was all you could ask for. The A tournament was arguably the best it has ever been. The AA tournament was full of close games and two long time and storied northern teams made it to the Championship game. This season was so unpredictable and gave all of us so much to talk about. Thanks to all of you who make it even more enjoyable to watch and follow!
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I always go through this withdrawal/reflection period for some days following the state tournament. After the championship game, just like that, it's over with for another eight months. This is the most fun I've had watching this season than in recent years. Got to watch, either in person or online, many state tournament caliber type games this year, and being able to share those experiences with friends and family members. Parity amongst the teams made it interesting and provided for many surprises during the year. Unpredictable to say the least. We also had a talented senior class, led by Casey Mittelstadt, perhaps a top ten NHL prospect that we see come out of the state once in a decade or so. Unlike the Minnesota 2006 top ten draft class of Erik Johnson, Kyle Okposo, and Peter Mueller, Mittelstadt stuck with high school hockey.

We'll ponder how the year will go next season, and if there's a chance of a championship run. As we see another senior class move on to success in Division I or junior hockey, another group of kids comes in to fill the void left on the roster. We'll watch raw talent evolve into something special before our eyes, perhaps becoming that next elite player and/or team, which makes high school hockey so exciting to watch.

Eight months can't get here soon enough.
Last edited by ryguyMN on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Like the 2008 class that stuck around. Gardiner, Ness and Lee!