Sharing arenas/selling ice

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ndirishfighting

Sharing arenas/selling ice

Post by ndirishfighting »

I'm curious how many schools share arenas? Then sell ice to other associations?
Besides Apple Valley,Eagan,Eastview,Minnehaha,Inver Grove.
All I see is Eagan was good along with Apple Valley til they lost talent and kids then Eastview came into the picture and steals ice from all the youth teams.
Why doesn't Eastview and others like that go build there own arena?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Doesn't Eastview buy ice from 5-6 different arenas?

Rinks decide who they enter into contracts with for ice purchasing. Most rinks that have established relationships with an association will give that association the opportunity to renew the same contract each year before making any of that ice available to other purchasers. However, if an association decides to lower the amount of ice they are purchasing, it is very difficult to go back and increase it again at a later time. Ice time is a limited resource, if you give it up someone else will likely grab it. My guess is that is what has happened in that area. If Eagan and Apple Valley have had declining participation, then they would need less ice time and likely Eastview has been grabbing whatever is made available.

If you really want to know what's going on with ice allocation, talk to the rink managers.
observer

Post by observer »

No, to very few, rinks are profitable. All the recently constructed ones have had a difficult time being profitable. Mostly related to summer drop in demand.