Breaking News:Bruce Plante is stepping down!! No joke!!

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

Breaking News:Bruce Plante is stepping down!! No joke!!

Post by hermantown2000 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:11 pm

This is not a rumor!! I checked the Duluth News Tribunes website and Bruce Plante has announced he is stepping down. Plante is leaving behind quite a legacy
12 state tournament trips in the last 20 years for the Hawks under Plante!!
8 state campionship game appearances(Eveleth in the late 40's to the mid 50's had a longer state championship game run).
3 Class A titles.
He will be missed!!

hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Correction: It was announced on the WDIO TV(Duluth) website. Sorry for the error

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 pm

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

"A" list material here Karl. Colorful characters will always be missed in my book.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:"A" list material here Karl. Colorful characters will always be missed in my book.
Agreed. Bruce will be missed by many. Include me in the many. Interesting to see who takes over this juggernaut of a hockey program. One of the best jobs in the state I'm thinking. I wonder if it will be sooner or later. I'll be patient I guess.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:17 am

kniven wrote:Interesting to see who takes over this juggernaut of a hockey program. One of the best jobs in the state I'm thinking.
Then again there will be lots of pressure on the new coach to keep it going. It will be next to impossible to improve on the success that Mr. Plante was able to achieve.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:53 am

It will be interesting to get the new coaches take on "A" vs "AA". To bad this decision wasn't made before the new assignments came out.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 am

kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:"A" list material here Karl. Colorful characters will always be missed in my book.
Agreed. Bruce will be missed by many. Include me in the many. Interesting to see who takes over this juggernaut of a hockey program. One of the best jobs in the state I'm thinking. I wonder if it will be sooner or later. I'll be patient I guess.
My guess is Pat Andrews who left the Bantam AA team last year to become an assistant coach for the HS team (JV) . Hermantown will be fine with the likes of Pionk and Leblanc developing players in the youth program.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Expect Hermantown to make a big drop the next few years.

I don't think they'll be at the X next year.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:19 pm

I would say their rebuilding, but with open enrollment they'll be able to reload.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Slammer wrote:Expect Hermantown to make a big drop the next few years.

Hermantown doesn't know what the word rebuilding means. Their string of state trips at the X won't be interrupted next year. I watched their JV several times dominating opponents last year. No drop off

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:56 am

kniven wrote:

Hermantown doesn't know what the word rebuilding means. Their string of state trips at the X won't be interrupted next year. I watched their JV several times dominating opponents last year. No drop off
I am a little skeptical that JV success impacts Varsity results the following year. Yes, a few role players move up and contribute to depth, but Bantams will dictate future success waaaay more than JV.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:02 pm

zooomx wrote:
kniven wrote:

I am a little skeptical that JV success impacts Varsity results the following year. Yes, a few role players move up and contribute to depth, but Bantams will dictate future success waaaay more than JV.
I would agree this is true in most programs. But, Hermantown hockey isn't most programs. With all that top end talent the last couple years, the local talent had to play somewhere. They will dominate single A competition once again.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:22 am

They will be at the X again next year and every year after that. There is no 7A team that can compete with them. The only way that could possibly change is if the Colorado kid left early for Juniors. But I think that's very doubtful.

Everyone talks about their Bantam team being "down" this year. Greenway took 3rd in State in Bantam A and Hermantown beat them 6-3. No other 7A Bantam team is even close.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:

They will be at the X again next year and every year after that. There is no 7A team that can compete with them. The only way that could possibly change is if the Colorado kid left early for Juniors. But I think that's very doubtful.

Everyone talks about their Bantam team being "down" this year. Greenway took 3rd in State in Bantam A and Hermantown beat them 6-3. No other 7A Bantam team is even close.
Totally agree

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:56 am

BodyShots wrote:It will be interesting to get the new coaches take on "A" vs "AA". To bad this decision wasn't made before the new assignments came out.
I think it will be at least 4 more years before they would go AA.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 am

Slammer wrote:I would say their rebuilding, but with open enrollment they'll be able to reload.
Are you suggesting Hermantown will be getting some open enrollees to show up from around Duluth to join next years Varsity? Cite one example of a kid that came later than Bantams in the history of our program. Maybe Jeffy can help you. Your credibility was gone with "Hermantown is opting up, I have seen the petition."

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm

BodyShots wrote:It will be interesting to get the new coaches take on "A" vs "AA". To bad this decision wasn't made before the new assignments came out.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what the new coach thinks. The decision is made by the Administration with pressure from the parents. Like most things nowadays, it comes down to money. Open-Enrollment is Hermantown's Cash Cow, and Hockey with the Automatic trips to the X are the draw. They pulled in over $4 Million in Per-Pupil aid from the State last year for open-enrolled kids. With that kind of money coming in, they aren't going to mess with what they have going.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what the new coach thinks. The decision is made by the Administration with pressure from the parents. Like most things nowadays, it comes down to money. Open-Enrollment is Hermantown's Cash Cow, and Hockey with the Automatic trips to the X are the draw. They pulled in over $4 Million in Per-Pupil aid from the State last year for open-enrolled kids. With that kind of money coming in, they aren't going to mess with what they have going.
Exactey! I woudn't either - As far as A or AA for Hermantown. If they stay in A...good for them. If they opt up to AA.....good for them. It is what it is =)

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:

16-30-0. That was Hermantown Bantam AA record last year. I would say that is a down year. But, even some of our better Bantam AA teams have not been far above .500 in AA. Clearly could be Bantam A. But then people would complain about that! I would add Hermantown Bantam A team won only a couple games all year. It is what our association has chosen to do.
Maybe, if Greenway would follow Hermantown's model and play Bantam AA they would have more success in HS.

ILTG

Post by ILTG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Maybe, if Greenway would follow Hermantown's model and play Bantam AA they would have more success in HS.[/quote]

Honestly I don't even know where to begin with a statement like this. I wish is was as easy as just playing AA.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Hermhawkey wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Maybe, if Greenway would follow Hermantown's model and play Bantam AA they would have more success in HS.
Uh, yeah. Greenway had 20 total skaters at Bantam last year. How many Bantam AA teams trot out 10 skaters? Those are the Programs Hermantown is "competing" against in 7A.

rainier

Post by rainier » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Hermhawkey wrote:
Slammer wrote:I would say their rebuilding, but with open enrollment they'll be able to reload.
Are you suggesting Hermantown will be getting some open enrollees to show up from around Duluth to join next years Varsity? Cite one example of a kid that came later than Bantams in the history of our program. Maybe Jeffy can help you. Your credibility was gone with "Hermantown is opting up, I have seen the petition."
Eric Gotz-he transferred to Hermantown as a sophomore.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

sanryam

Post by sanryam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:46 am

Why do people still respond to Slammer? He is an obvious troll.

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:26 am

rainier wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:
Eric Gotz-he transferred to Hermantown as a sophomore.
He wasn't an open enrollee.