What's up with Cloquet hockey??

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Post by kniven »

Hermhawkey wrote:Sad, sad, sad. Having been around Esse for many years I think he is a class act. He deserves better. He was on the cusp of getting great players. It would have been exactly what he deserved. Not this.

JL does not belong anywhere near kids. The behavior I have witnessed is exactly what is wrong with the parent coach/legends in their own mind types.
He brings that to a new level. If he is the new coach I would feel very sorry for those great kids and parents.
In my son's last year of Hockey, JL15 and his boys, arrived on the scene. JL15 jumped right in. The summer of 2013-2014, he joined Esse and the staff for summer hockey camps in Cloquet. It was awesome! To see and watch my son, first year squirt, being instructed by the this recently retired NHLer and former Cloquet Lumberjack.

I have been to plenty of youth hockey practices and games. I've talked to JL15, his kids, and family plenty of times in the rink and outside of the rink. I have never had an issue with anybody. Brian Durand and JL5 were/are an excellent tandem on the bench for all those CEC youth hockey squads from peewee's up to bantams. On the bus and in the arena....always a pleasure to shake the hand and talk with a Langenbrunner. Watching Esse and Langenbrunner at practice coaching our boys, for me, was......well it just won't get any better than that. Coming into the locker room and seeing Esse and Jamie talking to our boys about the game of hockey.....well it was pretty awesome for me! =)

I just heard of JL15 being let go from the high school staff last week - for the first time. I had no idea why. This Thursday AM I hear that Coach Esse and the entire staff resigning. Oly COW! I had no idea why.

I hear some rumblings from the Metro, and had no idea. I talked to Coach Esse, the next day's paper said Esse and his staff resigned, and KarlEast blog came out. JL15 and Brian Durand are outstanding coaches. Coach Esse and his entire staff resign suddenly. There is nothing more sad than Coach Esse and his staff leaving on somebody else terms.

That is my only regret. That Coach Dave Esse and his staff have resigned suddenly. Not because they wanted to.....but they had to. That's all.

Karl East's blog/column blew my doors off. It shatters something inside that I thought could never be shattered. All i can think about is those kids of mine. Those kids. Those kids. Those kids. Those kids.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Regardless of his coaching ability or the extent to which detractors may embellish his behavior as a youth coach, I would think that hiring the person who just drove out the old coach isn't exactly the best plan for keeping the peace in a divided program.

I'm not really on the ground here; my account was all secondhand. But I've heard basically the same account from everyone I've heard from. Nor do I think the school's administration is naive to what happened.

Credit to kniven for getting to the heart of the issue, too.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

karl(east) wrote:Regardless of his coaching ability or the extent to which detractors may embellish his behavior as a youth coach, I would think that hiring the person who just drove out the old coach isn't exactly the best plan for keeping the peace in a divided program.

I'm not really on the ground here; my account was all secondhand. But I've heard basically the same account from everyone I've heard from. Nor do I think the school's administration is naive to what happened.

Well, if he wins.......see Lakeville North......

However this kind of stuff rarely works out well in any sport and seems to have long term negative effects not only in that sport but athletic department wide as a precedent has been set.
kniven

Post by kniven »

goldy313 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Regardless of his coaching ability or the extent to which detractors may embellish his behavior as a youth coach, I would think that hiring the person who just drove out the old coach isn't exactly the best plan for keeping the peace in a divided program.

Well, if he wins.......see Lakeville North......

However this kind of stuff rarely works out well in any sport and seems to have long term negative effects not only in that sport but athletic department wide as a precedent has been set.
Exactly. Cloquet hockey used to mean something. Now it's just another typical hockey program. I'm still a fan, always. But it's just like the rest now. Five years ago with Michaud and now this with Langenbrunner. My sister died of cancer in 2010. CEC hockey was always there for me/ I could always count on it every winter to help me heal and forget. It certainly isn't that any longer. Kids are secondary and the head coach third on the list.....with greed, hate, give me some, and "it's mine on top of that list. So disappointing.

Unbelievable. !

I never thought CEC high school boys hockey would be that kind of program that can not deal with success. Maybe that's why we opt up to AA. Because we rarely win in AA. Goodness forbid that CEC boys move to A. Oh my......they might actually win. Got to respect Duluth East and Hermantown hockey. At least they can handle winning. And CEC needs to quit crying that Hermantown needs to move up to 7AA. They would consistently kick the snot out of you. And they could handle it. CEC boys hockey people, not Esse and the kids, can handle loosing just fine. It's what they are used to. Or goodness forbid we the people need to take over and do it the right way! Fire everybody and we will finally win the right way! It's mine!!! And around and round we go!

Sorry. I'm having a bad day. Sister and mom both died of cancer since 2010. And I don't have my hockey team anymore to lean on. Utterly depressing indeed. I'll be fine though. Just let me vent. "Sigh"
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Don't understand all the commotion that Esse stepped down. Great guy, but in terms of winning games, his track record isn't that great the last 10 years. Yes high school hockey is more than winning, but in a hockey town it's important.

I think Jamie is a great coach and could do really well with the talent Cloquet has. Could possibly attract more people to the program as well and light a fire in the program.

Trent Klatt is a former NHLer and has had huge success so far. Jamie was a far better player, and knows more about the game. Give him a shot.

Bottom line- everyone who's saying it would be "terrible for the program" are kidding themselves. Having one of the best American hockey players in the history of the game as your high school coach is not a bad thing. It actually could turn out really well.

Yes, it's politics, but so is the rest of life. Welcome to the rest of the sports world, Cloquet.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

[quote="Slammer"]Don't understand all the commotion that Esse stepped down. Great guy, but in terms of winning games, his track record isn't that great the last 10 years. Yes high school hockey is more than winning, but in a hockey town it's important.

I think Jamie is a great coach and could do really well with the talent Cloquet has. Could possibly attract more people to the program as well and light a fire in the program.

Trent Klatt is a former NHLer and has had huge success so far. Jamie was a far better player, and knows more about the game. Give him a shot.

Bottom line- everyone who's saying it would be "terrible for the program" are kidding themselves. Having one of the best American hockey players in the history of the game as your high school coach is not a bad thing. It actually could turn out really well.

Yes, it's politics, but so is the rest of life. Welcome to the rest of th
e sports world, Cloquet.[/quot

Just curious. How do you know that Jamie knows more about the game than Trent?
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

Slammer I agree. He's a good guy, but enough already with the hero worshipping. Goodness.

The team hasn't gotten to a section final in the last 10 years; yes it more about wins and losses but this is a fact.

It's about building relationships, having fun with the kids, teaching them the game, being positive. The school board didn't eliminate the team / sport. The guy resigned. Time to let it rest.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

Hermhawkey wrote:Sad, sad, sad. Having been around Esse for many years I think he is a class act. He deserves better. He was on the cusp of getting great players. It would have been exactly what he deserved. Not this.

JL does not belong anywhere near kids. The behavior I have witnessed is exactly what is wrong with the parent coach/legends in their own mind types.
He brings that to a new level. If he is the new coach I would feel very sorry for those great kids and parents.
Herm- Thanks for ripping a true hockey legend; considering every time he coached a game vs. Hermantown his teams won. Before you rip a NHL'er, from any city or town for that matter, maybe Hermantown should produce one first.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

Herm- Thanks for ripping a true hockey legend; considering every time he coached a game vs. Hermantown his teams won. Before you rip a NHL'er, from any city or town for that matter, maybe Hermantown should produce one first.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

mulefarm wrote:
Slammer wrote:Don't understand all the commotion that Esse stepped down. Great guy, but in terms of winning games, his track record isn't that great the last 10 years. Yes high school hockey is more than winning, but in a hockey town it's important.

Yes, it's politics, but so is the rest of life. Welcome to the rest of th
e sports world, Cloquet.[/quot

Just curious. How do you know that Jamie knows more about the game than Trent?
Because he is pretty high on the points list and was one of the best in the history of the NHL in the playoffs. Also led his team to multiple Stanley cups.

Maybe he doesn't know more about the actual game, but he sure as hell knows how to win at the highest of levels. Having a legend NHL player as your head coach who knows how to win is a dream come true for a small town hockey program. I hope they don't blow that chance.

Jamie could be an assistant coach in the NHL right now if he wanted to. Could probably get a head coaching job in the next five years if he wanted. Getting him as your HIGH SCHOOL coach would be as Trump would say, "A big league deal."

He was Captain America for crying out loud. People who are saying he's unfit to coach a small town high school hockey team are insane.

(Assuming Jamie even wants the job)
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Me thinks some of you haven't been spending much time in youth rinks over the past few years.

Im guessing Knivens views on the situation are probably more informed than most on this topic. Let's give him a little credit for inside knowledge most of us don't have.
blueblood

Former players as coaches

Post by blueblood »

Being a former great player doesnt make you a great coach. Wayne Gretzky iwas the greatest NHL player but as a coach, meh.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

Section 8 guy wrote:Me thinks some of you haven't been spending much time in youth rinks over the past few years.

Im guessing Knivens views on the situation are probably more informed than most on this topic. Let's give him a little credit for inside knowledge most of us don't have.
What makes him more informed? Has he gotten all sides?? I just do not like people taking cheap shots at Jamie, he has been a captain at every level he played at a Cloquet icon and people on here are ripping him???

Kniven let it go, the program did not start in 2013 when you arrived it has a proud history
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:Me thinks some of you haven't been spending much time in youth rinks over the past few years.

What makes him more informed? Has he gotten all sides?? I just do not like people taking cheap shots at Jamie, he has been a captain at every level he played at a Cloquet icon and people on here are ripping him???

Kniven let it go, the program did not start in 2013 when you arrived it has a proud history
Your right SP. JL15 has had an amazing NHL career, and I love his kids and family. I have let it go. A proud history before I arrived - heck yes: I'm an idiot. Esse was and is my coach. And he and his entire staff forced out. CEC hockey always a favorite of mine, but I am done. Love the kids always in that program - they know that :).
blueblood

C-E-C

Post by blueblood »

SpOiled fan with a great start to his Day 1 postings on the forum [-o< [-X

P.S. I didn't misspell the name.
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:

Oh. Your right on another point. The program did not start when JL15 arrived a few years ago. It has a proud history.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

I think we can all agree that taking JL comes with obvious risks. But is he even interested in the job?

My experience has been that most (not all) guys who played at the level he did have a very tough time adjusting to coaching a team versus just focusing on his own kids. Likewise some parents (and fans) will be quick to scream favoritism every time his kid goes out for a power play.

I have met JL a few times and have seen him coach a number of times. To me he appears a little to focused on his kids and doesn't seem to give the other coaches, players and especially refs the respect they each deserve. Again, just my observation.

With that there is no doubt he has forgotten more about hockey then most of us will ever know. If he can channel that experience and focus on building the program long term then he deserves a fair chance. He has proven he loves his community by moving back there and that does say something about the mans character.

I think the one question that only he can answer is would he take the job if he had no kids in the program. If the answer is absolutely yes, then he's your man. If it's anything else but absolutely yes then it's anyone's guess how this all plays out.
The Next One

Post by The Next One »

Here is a guy that we should all have the utmost respect for, be excited to see at the rinks, and is one of the most accomplished American born/mn born players of all time. At a mn hockey regional a few yrs ago there wasn't a person outside of cloquet(maybe)that had any respect for him, wanted to be around him, or talk to him. He was the biggest jackass in the arena. I only saw it 1st hand that weekend but heard from others he is like that all the time. I found it quite sad actually.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

The Next One wrote:Here is a guy that we should all have the utmost respect for, be excited to see at the rinks, and is one of the most accomplished American born/mn born players of all time. At a mn hockey regional a few yrs ago there wasn't a person outside of cloquet(maybe)that had any respect for him, wanted to be around him, or talk to him. He was the biggest jackass in the arena. I only saw it 1st hand that weekend but heard from others he is like that all the time. I found it quite sad actually.
If this is the case I feel sorry for the kid. Everyone in the program wouldn't mind if the kid leaves for other opportunities just to get rid of the parent. I have seen it in other programs recently.
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

Slammer wrote:Trent Klatt is a former NHLer and has had huge success so far. Jamie was a far better player, and knows more about the game. Give him a shot.

Yes, it's politics, but so is the rest of life. Welcome to the rest of the sports world, Cloquet.
Seen many former NHLers come through various teams and programs over the years - more often than not, they end up being poor coaches. Just sayin'.
kniven

Post by kniven »

The Next One wrote:Here is a guy that we should all have the utmost respect for, be excited to see at the rinks, and is one of the most accomplished American born/mn born players of all time. At a mn hockey regional a few yrs ago there wasn't a person outside of cloquet(maybe)that had any respect for him, wanted to be around him, or talk to him. He was the biggest jackass in the arena. I only saw it 1st hand that weekend but heard from others he is like that all the time. I found it quite sad actually.
Now. Let's imagine this type of person is told by a high school head coach that we don't need you. My oh my.

I give Coach Esse a lot of credit for standing up for his boys even though he knew obviously what would transpire, which it did.

Again, I have much respect for JL15. Huge fan always and his kids and family are awesome! Unfortunately, I'm probably hated now. I hope not. Just love here. Agree to disagree but no hating. Isn't a hockey program a family? No "I" in a family. But "We". Or "mine" but "ours". As players, the strong survive? Or is it "who you know".

The "real world" and this "mess" couldn't be more opposite. "Do your job or you'll be replaced". Is it the CEO that decides your job or the politicians kid.

Work hard for what you want, or just take it over and do what I want. It be a lot easier to just take it over for sure. Heck. Who wants to follow a system that's been in place before me. Believe the "one" or the many. The workers or the watchers? I'm an idiot! I don't know....All I know is what my "real work " experience has taught me. Is water still wet, or is that night always correct...
kniven

Post by kniven »

Standing up to someone who can kick your a** isn't an easy thing to do. Especially when your a grown man.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Three most difficult words to say. "I am sorry". I can't say these words often enough. If I did, life would be easier.

I am sorry. I say this to everybody I've pissed off. I am not perfect by any means. But saying these three words is a start.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:Three most difficult words to say. "I am sorry". I can't say these words often enough. If I did, life would be easier.

I am sorry. I say this to everybody I've pissed off. I am not perfect by any means. But saying these three words is a start.
You seem to be pretty sure this is a one sided argument; or at least that is what your portraying on here. Have you talked to anyone, beside Esse, who is involved with the situation?

There is ALWAYS 2 sides to every story.
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:Three most difficult words to say. "I am sorry". I can't say these words often enough. If I did, life would be easier.

You seem to be pretty sure this is a one sided argument; or at least that is what your portraying on here. Have you talked to anyone, beside Esse, who is involved with the situation?

There is ALWAYS 2 sides to every story.

https://apatientcycle.com/2017/05/13/exit-dave-esse/
Please read.