What's up with Cloquet hockey??

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Post by kniven »

I'll probably go into hiding now. I don't need my a** kicked.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:Three most difficult words to say. "I am sorry". I can't say these words often enough. If I did, life would be easier.

I am sorry. I say this to everybody I've pissed off. I am not perfect by any means. But saying these three words is a start.
You seem to be pretty sure this is a one sided argument; or at least that is what your portraying on here. Have you talked to anyone, beside Esse, who is involved with the situation?

There is ALWAYS 2 sides to every story.
I do not see two sides to the story here?? Time to move on

https://apatientcycle.com/2017/05/13/exit-dave-esse/
Please read.
goaline

Post by goaline »

TheMayor wrote:
Slammer wrote:Trent Klatt is a former NHLer and has had huge success so far. Jamie was a far better player, and knows more about the game. Give him a shot.

Bottom line- everyone who's saying it would be "terrible for the program" are kidding themselves. Having one of the best American hockey players in the history of the game as your high school coach is not a bad thing. It actually could turn out really well.

Yes, it's politics, but so is the rest of life. Welcome to the rest of the sports world, Cloquet.
Seen many former NHLers come through various teams and programs over the years - more often than not, they end up being poor coaches. Just sayin'.

Coach Klatt was just what Rapids needed when they needed it, instilling discipline in a team that lacked it. But the body of work remains ahead -- he walked into a team with rare talent that previously won Bantam state and finally played to their ability/ potential. We'll know more about the body of work and his acumen as he pieces together less talented teams for the foreseeable future...
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
The Next One wrote:Here is a guy that we should all have the utmost respect for, be excited to see at the rinks, and is one of the most accomplished American born/mn born players of all time. At a mn hockey regional a few yrs ago there wasn't a person outside of cloquet(maybe)that had any respect for him, wanted to be around him, or talk to him. He was the biggest jackass in the arena. I only saw it 1st hand that weekend but heard from others he is like that all the time. I found it quite sad actually.
If this is the case I feel sorry for the kid. Everyone in the program wouldn't mind if the kid leaves for other opportunities just to get rid of the parent. I have seen it in other programs recently.
Holy Family comes out on top with some new recruits
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I think it is the process that leads up to much of the coaching turnover that bothers me and others the most. What is done is nearly always done behind closed doors with nearly everyone left with questions as to why a change was made. School districts get to hide behind data privacy laws and in most cases the replaced coach is a district employee and can't speak up.....I can think of a couple of notable exceptions where the school board ended up looking silly and probably broke the law, but those cases are rare due to the fear of speaking out.

What bothers me the most is how easy it is in many places for a very small group of people to go behind the scenes and get a coach replaced or get them to resign just to get away from chaos that group of people create. It is silly and drives good people away from coaching.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

goldy313 wrote:I think it is the process that leads up to much of the coaching turnover that bothers me and others the most. What is done is nearly always done behind closed doors with nearly everyone left with questions as to why a change was made. School districts get to hide behind data privacy laws and in most cases the replaced coach is a district employee and can't speak up.....I can think of a couple of notable exceptions where the school board ended up looking silly and probably broke the law, but those cases are rare due to the fear of speaking out.

What bothers me the most is how easy it is in many places for a very small group of people to go behind the scenes and get a coach replaced or get them to resign just to get away from chaos that group of people create. It is silly and drives good people away from coaching.
Exactly this. I think reasonable people can disagree on the merits of the old coach (though hopefully these opinions are grounded in understanding of the talent he had to work with relative to his opponents) and those of his potential replacement. What is not in question, however many "sides to the story" there may be, is the fact that certain people played a role in bringing about this sequence of events. That is a story that, when possible, needs to be told, and has implications for what happens next.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

karl(east) wrote:
goldy313 wrote:I think it is the process that leads up to much of the coaching turnover that bothers me and others the most. What is done is nearly always done behind closed doors with nearly everyone left with questions as to why a change was made. School districts get to hide behind data privacy laws and in most cases the replaced coach is a district employee and can't speak up.....I can think of a couple of notable exceptions where the school board ended up looking silly and probably broke the law, but those cases are rare due to the fear of speaking out.

Exactly this. I think reasonable people can disagree on the merits of the old coach (though hopefully these opinions are grounded in understanding of the talent he had to work with relative to his opponents) and those of his potential replacement. What is not in question, however many "sides to the story" there may be, is the fact that certain people played a role in bringing about this sequence of events. That is a story that, when possible, needs to be told, and has implications for what happens next.
No problem with the former coach here, just be fair to all sides no one on here knows exactly what happened
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

There are also situations where the coaches' behavior has been inappropriate and the player/players are afraid to speak up in fear of retribution. The attitude is "I'll graduate in a year or 2. I'll just keep quiet and let someone else worry about it when I am gone."
kniven

Post by kniven »

Wow. Things are really bad here in Cloquet. It's going to be what it's going to be. Hopefully in 4 years there is something honest and real left to rebuild on. in 2013, had to wait till the dust settled and rebuild. It seems it will be that way again in 4 years when the current regime comes and goes.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:Wow. Things are really bad here in Cloquet. It's going to be what it's going to be. Hopefully in 4 years there is something honest and real left to rebuild on. in 2013, had to wait till the dust settled and rebuild. It seems it will be that way again in 4 years when the current regime comes and goes.
Reading your stuff you seem like a good guy, for the sake of your players let it go
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:Wow. Things are really bad here in Cloquet. It's going to be what it's going to be. Hopefully in 4 years there is something honest and real left to rebuild on. in 2013, had to wait till the dust settled and rebuild. It seems it will be that way again in 4 years when the current regime comes and goes.
Reading your stuff you seem like a good guy, for the sake of your players let it go
I have let it go, but I'm not going to be bullied. I'm on the verge of spilling my guts......for the players. I have nothing worth anything anyways. And your new on here so I'm assuming your a watch dog for the dictator. This thread I'm sure is going to be locked. You can tell your boss I'm not afraid. Let it go or else, right. Sounds like a threat.

Oh. And I've pretty much already volunteered everything I have to the media. They can do with it whatever they want. I could care less. Tell your boss it's really sad he had to declare war on the Cloquet community.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
I have let it go, but I'm not going to be bullied. I'm on the verge of spilling my guts......for the players. I have nothing worth anything anyways. And your new on here so I'm assuming your a watch dog for the dictator. This thread I'm sure is going to be locked. You can tell your boss I'm not afraid. Let it go or else, right. Sounds like a threat.

Oh. And I've pretty much already volunteered everything I have to the media. They can do with it whatever they want. I could care less. Tell your boss it's really sad he had to declare war on the Cloquet community.
Did not say let it go or else said "let it go" I think everyone is moving forward but you, no threat here, no bully here just common sense
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote: Reading your stuff you seem like a good guy, for the sake of your players let it go

Did not say let it go or else said "let it go" I think everyone is moving forward but you, no threat here, no bully here just common sense
We all need to take a breath here. I have to admit that I do not know all of (or even some of) the workings behind Cloquet hockey and all of it's machinations. However, with that said, we are talking about youth sports here. Kids' games. I get that in MN it is more of a religion and that is OK. I have been other places and had other things be religions also. We are not curing cancer. The Iran nuke deal is still there. Afghanistan is an issue as is Iraq and Chicago. This can't get to the point that we are threatening each other and talking about getting beaten up. It just can't. Sure, one group got ousted and another appears to be on it's way in. You still have a house payment to make and your insurance is due also. Relax. Go with the flow. The kids will be fine. This can't get this nasty over a game played on ice with a stick and rubber puck.

I probably should not have jumped in here but I have to admit that I have a tendency to do dumb stuff at times. Seriously, we need to get back to bashing on private schools and Hermantown which is what this forum is maintained for in the first place.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Wet Paint wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote: I have let it go, but I'm not going to be bullied. I'm on the verge of spilling my guts......for the players. I have nothing worth anything anyways. And your new on here so I'm assuming your a watch dog for the dictator. This thread I'm sure is going to be locked. You can tell your boss I'm not afraid. Let it go or else, right. Sounds like a threat.

We all need to take a breath here. I have to admit that I do not know all of (or even some of) the workings behind Cloquet hockey and all of it's machinations. However, with that said, we are talking about youth sports here. Kids' games. I get that in MN it is more of a religion and that is OK. I have been other places and had other things be religions also. We are not curing cancer. The Iran nuke deal is still there. Afghanistan is an issue as is Iraq and Chicago. This can't get to the point that we are threatening each other and talking about getting beaten up. It just can't. Sure, one group got ousted and another appears to be on it's way in. You still have a house payment to make and your insurance is due also. Relax. Go with the flow. The kids will be fine. This can't get this nasty over a game played on ice with a stick and rubber puck.

I probably should not have jumped in here but I have to admit that I have a tendency to do dumb stuff at times. Seriously, we need to get back to bashing on private schools and Hermantown which is what this forum is maintained for in the first place.
You are right. I'm just so sad from all the feedback I'm getting in regards to how this guy bullies. It's unfortunate. The kids will adapt N survive in their own way and doing what their parents tell them to do. And I am going to defend the good, because its right. The bad scream and yell and hate and the good get intimated and fall back. I'm not going to do that.

is it possible to love and defend? Most people think you have to hate to defend. It's frustrating people accept what they hate instead of the good they've had. Sad

I'm sorry I'm pissing people off. I'm defending the good. We agree to disagree, that's all. Life goes on.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote: Did not say let it go or else said "let it go" I think everyone is moving forward but you, no threat here, no bully here just common sense

You are right. I'm just so sad from all the feedback I'm getting in regards to how this guy bullies. It's unfortunate. The kids will adapt N survive in their own way and doing what their parents tell them to do. And I am going to defend the good, because its right. The bad scream and yell and hate and the good get intimated and fall back. I'm not going to do that.

is it possible to love and defend? Most people think you have to hate to defend. It's frustrating people accept what they hate instead of the good they've had. Sad

I'm sorry I'm pissing people off. I'm defending the good. We agree to disagree, that's all. Life goes on.
What guy bullies??? me, the coach, the principal, a parent?? really no idea where you are coming from, there is no bully here
Browniemagoo

Post by Browniemagoo »

kniven wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote: Did not say let it go or else said "let it go" I think everyone is moving forward but you, no threat here, no bully here just common sense

I agree that the live streaming of choir concerts must continue!
kniven

Post by kniven »

Browniemagoo wrote:
kniven wrote:
Wet Paint wrote: We all need to take a breath here. I have to admit that I do not know all of (or even some of) the workings behind Cloquet hockey and all of it's machinations. However, with that said, we are talking about youth sports here. Kids' games. I get that in MN it is more of a religion and that is OK. I have been other places and had other things be religions also. We are not curing cancer. The Iran nuke deal is still there. Afghanistan is an issue as is Iraq and Chicago. This can't get to the point that we are threatening each other and talking about getting beaten up. It just can't. Sure, one group got ousted and another appears to be on it's way in. You still have a house payment to make and your insurance is due also. Relax. Go with the flow. The kids will be fine. This can't get this nasty over a game played on ice with a stick and rubber puck.

Oh heck yes! Choir concerts rule! :)
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

kniven wrote:
Browniemagoo wrote:
kniven wrote: You are right. I'm just so sad from all the feedback I'm getting in regards to how this guy bullies. It's unfortunate. The kids will adapt N survive in their own way and doing what their parents tell them to do. And I am going to defend the good, because its right. The bad scream and yell and hate and the good get intimated and fall back. I'm not going to do that.

Oh heck yes! Choir concerts rule! :)
hear, hear ... best concert choir I ever watched ... instant classic. Please stream more [-o< [-o< [-o<
kniven

Post by kniven »

Grand Rapids had a great choir last year. Alto's and tenor's were outstanding :))).
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

After reading the general boblee's response on coaching thread; I agree that thread went wrong way. Kniven, what's the latest on applicants? I've heard different names: smalley, peart, Meisner, shae Walters (???), Reid Larson, Millen. Also a current Duluth East bantam coach. (Don't remember name) Any of them true? You still talk to esse? I'd guess he would want a former lumberjack Meisner to get the job instead someone from outside?
kniven

Post by kniven »

Upfan111 wrote:After reading the general boblee's response on coaching thread; I agree that thread went wrong way. Kniven, what's the latest on applicants? I've heard different names: smalley, peart, Meisner, shae Walters (???), Reid Larson, Millen. Also a current Duluth East bantam coach. (Don't remember name) Any of them true? You still talk to esse? I'd guess he would want a former lumberjack Meisner to get the job instead someone from outside?
I haven't heard anything official, but it sounds as though Meisner will be the new head coach. As far as his staff......who knows. I do still talk with coach Esse, but we don't talk about the current situation. Esse has moved on. And so have I. I'm not from Cloquet. Just a big fan so I don't know Meisner, or his days of playing for Cloquet. I just want the kids to be ok.
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:After reading the general boblee's response on coaching thread; I agree that thread went wrong way. Kniven, what's the latest on applicants? I've heard different names: smalley, peart, Meisner, shae Walters (???), Reid Larson, Millen. Also a current Duluth East bantam coach. (Don't remember name) Any of them true? You still talk to esse? I'd guess he would want a former lumberjack Meisner to get the job instead someone from outside?
I haven't heard anything official, but it sounds as though Meisner will be the new head coach. As far as his staff......who knows. I do still talk with coach Esse, but we don't talk about the current situation. Esse has moved on. And so have I. I'm not from Cloquet. Just a big fan so I don't know Meisner, or his days of playing for Cloquet. I just want the kids to be ok.
I was talking to some parents of CEC hockey players this week. It seems Meisner was on the bench with Jaimie and Durand at the youth hockey levels with the kids now playing high school puck. It seems he's got a good relationship with the kids so that is great. He sounds like the best option I'm thinking.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

kniven wrote:
kniven wrote:
I was talking to some parents of CEC hockey players this week. It seems Meisner was on the bench with Jaimie and Durand at the youth hockey levels with the kids now playing high school puck. It seems he's got a good relationship with the kids so that is great. He sounds like the best option I'm thinking.
Meisner would do a great job!
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Is the job closed noW or is it still open?
kniven

Post by kniven »

Rocketwrister wrote:Is the job closed noW or is it still open?
Good question. I don't know......