Hermantown's New Coach: Patrick Andrews

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Hermantown's New Coach: Patrick Andrews

Post by greenwayraider » Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 am

From the Duluth News-Tribune

Patrick Andrews credits Bruce Plante for filling a void after Andrews lost his father, Pat, to lung cancer in the fall of 1995. Plante had just returned as boys hockey coach at Hermantown, and Andrews was a sophomore.

“Coach is one of my best friends,” Andrews said. “I think the world of him.”

Almost 22 years later, the 1998 Hermantown graduate has been tabbed to replace Plante atop one of Minnesota’s marquee clubs.

All that entails is following in the footsteps of a guy who amassed 547 victories while guiding the Hawks to 13 state tournaments and three championships over 28 seasons.

“I mean, how do you follow that?” Andrews said Tuesday. “You can’t.

“I’ve got huge shoes to fill. I just met with the team after school today and I told everybody, ‘All I can do is be me. I’m not (Plante).’ ”

Andrews, 37, teaches seventh grade social studies at Hermantown. This past winter, he was an assistant under Plante after coaching bantams for eight years. In fact, minus a detour to St. John’s for college, Andrews has been part of Hermantown hockey in some capacity since he started playing as a kindergartener.

As a senior captain in 1998, he delivered the game-winning goal with 21 seconds remaining to lift the Hawks past rival Proctor 4-3 in the Section 2A final. They went on to reach the state title game, losing to Eveleth-Gilbert.

That track record with the program bodes well for Andrews’ new gig, Plante said.

“First of all, he’s a Hermantown boy and he has Hermantown blood,” Plante said. “Just cares a lot about the program, and he’s well-respected in the community. Patrick’s a very big-hearted guy. He’ll take care of the kids.”

Andrews long knew he wanted to teach and coach, in part because of the example set by mentors he leaned on after his father’s death. That list includes current Hermantown boys soccer coach Dave Thompson.

“I didn’t end up president of the United States, so it’s not like I’m changing the world,” Andrews said. “But this is what I’ve always wanted to do.”

The hiring of Andrews is pending school board approval.

The Hawks went 29-1-1 this past season en route to their eighth straight Class A final. They’ve won two in a row following a dubious streak of six consecutive runner-up finishes. Along the way, they have sent a cadre of players to the NCAA Division I ranks. This winter alone, they featured a pair of Mr. Hockey finalists in Minnesota Duluth commit Dylan Samberg and Ryan Sandelin (Minnesota State-Mankato).

All the winning has unleashed cries for Hermantown to move up to Class AA.

Andrews knew the question was coming — is that in the cards?

“I believe that our program has developed into a double-A program. I think that’s going to happen, it’s just a matter of when,” he said. “We’re not going to rush it. We’re going to do it on our timeline, and what makes sense for us.”

Andrews did say that while outsiders base their opinions simply on wins and losses, the issue goes beyond that. Still, he said, “I do see that happening.”

This year’s team was senior-heavy, but the cupboard won’t be bare when the Hawks reconvene next November. Forward Tyler Watkins is expected to headline a talented group of returners. Andrews will have coached all of them, either in bantams or this past season. And he will be joined on the bench by longtime Hawks assistant Nate Buck.

That familiarity was important to Hermantown athletic director Beth Clark, but not as important as ensuring the school found the best fit.

“First and foremost, you want to hire the best possible candidate,” Clark said. “Pat obviously fit that bill.”

Clark was asked if she expected Andrews’ media interviews and post-game news conferences to be as entertaining as Plante’s were. He was known almost as much for his winning percentage as his one-liners and feather-ruffling.

Clark could only laugh.

“Bruce earned that over the years,” she said.

Andrews’ biggest coaching influence is Plante, but he’s worked alongside plenty of good ones, including Mike Sertich, the UMD icon. The two oversaw a bantam team together.

“To be able to drive all over Minnesota, just Sertie and I in his truck, I was on edge listening to Sertie talk hockey and tell stories,” Andrews said. “There are people who’d pay big money to do that.”

kniven

Re: Hermantown's New Coach: Patrick Andrews

Post by kniven » Tue May 23, 2017 7:54 pm

so will ther Hermantown Hawks have the same assistant coaches that served with Bruce? I'm looking forward to following the Hawks this coming winter. Lots of talent back with Watkins and company. The great goaltending the last several years and defenseman. How's the goaltending coming in? Would there be someone out there to update me on what were looking at this winter. Thanks