7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:Final score 5-1, Holy Family. Rapids held on pretty well until the middle of the 2nd period, but HF pulled away. According to the arena scoreboard HF had 73 SOG! My calculations say that is about a 93% save percentage. Holum had a terrific game.

I think GR is playing much better now than several weeks ago. Losing still hurts, but it looks like it is a work in progress.
How is getting outshot 77-13 and losing 5-1 an improvement? Other than Holum standing on his head which is expected in front of this team. Where is the improvement? Give us some raw data to prove the improvement. Quick review of shot totals doesn't really indicate improvement. So what is your benchmark in throwing out the statement?
The Andover game was not close match. Andover outshot Rapids 38-15 and won the game 6-1 which in hockey is losing by a significant margin. Enough with the nonsense!

Teams in the section improving are the following:
Andover
Duluth Marshal
Elk River
East
I appreciate your input but maybe you should stick to the 7A thread. I am sorry your prom date ran off with a big stud wearing orange and black but c'mon- that was a long time ago. You gotta let it go man.

Here is tip that might be helpful- Run over to Duluth Trading and get yourself some of those Buck Naked Underdudes- according to the commercial they are awesome.

You should be a little more upbeat given the fact that Greenway has a good team. Most Rapids people, like me, are hoping that they can take down Hermantown and get to St. Paul.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Immigrant Fan wrote:Final score 5-1, Holy Family. Rapids held on pretty well until the middle of the 2nd period, but HF pulled away. According to the arena scoreboard HF had 73 SOG! My calculations say that is about a 93% save percentage. Holum had a terrific game.

I think GR is playing much better now than several weeks ago. Losing still hurts, but it looks like it is a work in progress.
How is getting outshot 77-13 and losing 5-1 an improvement? Other than Holum standing on his head which is expected in front of this team. Where is the improvement? Give us some raw data to prove the improvement. Quick review of shot totals doesn't really indicate improvement. So what is your benchmark in throwing out the statement?
The Andover game was not close match. Andover outshot Rapids 38-15 and won the game 6-1 which in hockey is losing by a significant margin. Enough with the nonsense!

Andover
Duluth Marshal
Elk River
East
Get over yourself. I'm not even gonna waste my time explaining or defending GR's improvement.

Find something that makes you happy in life. Cleary it is not high school hockey, perpetually negative.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

I saw Gabe was credited with 72 saves, so 77 shots on goal. Which is 4th in the MSHSL record books for most saves in a game! Congrats Gabe! Outstanding!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
kniven

Post by kniven »

north_bear wrote:

I saw Gabe was credited with 72 saves, so 77 shots on goal. Which is 4th in the MSHSL record books for most saves in a game! Congrats Gabe! Outstanding!
Agreed.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:Andover and Duluth Marshall handling Centennial and Maple Grove. 7AA is officially out of control!
I think it shows too that whoever coached the Cloquet kids in youth hockey with the success they had must have been a pretty good coach. I think Smalls can get it done but maybe reach out and get some help. Motivation and discipline seems to be an issue
grindiangrad-80

Andover
Duluth Marshal
Elk River
East
I'm pretty sure HF beat your team 7-1 last night and according to you, your team is really good and well coached. I'm all ears.... What you got?
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:

Andover
Duluth Marshal
Elk River
East
I'm pretty sure HF beat your team 7-1 last night and according to you, your team is really good and well coached. I'm all ears.... What you got?
A 5-1 victory.
grindiangrad-80

greenwayraider wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote: How is getting outshot 77-13 and losing 5-1 an improvement? Other than Holum standing on his head which is expected in front of this team. Where is the improvement? Give us some raw data to prove the improvement. Quick review of shot totals doesn't really indicate improvement. So what is your benchmark in throwing out the statement?

Andover
Duluth Marshal
Elk River
East
A 5-1 victory.
I'm confused. Who did you beat 5-1?
grindiangrad-80

Maybe you and your boyfriend Northwoods could carpool down to Duluth Trading.
:)
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:

Andover
Duluth Marshal
Elk River
East

I appreciate your input but maybe you should stick to the 7A thread. I am sorry your prom date ran off with a big stud wearing orange and black but c'mon- that was a long time ago. You gotta let it go man.

Here is tip that might be helpful- Run over to Duluth Trading and get yourself some of those Buck Naked Underdudes- according to the commercial they are awesome.

You should be a little more upbeat given the fact that Greenway has a good team. Most Rapids people, like me, are hoping that they can take down Hermantown and get to St. Paul.
Can provide some signs of improvement other then conjecture and innuendo?
Others who don't follow the team that closely might like to know what areas indicate improvement.
northwoods oldtimer

north_bear wrote:

Andover
Duluth Marshal
Elk River
East
Get over yourself. I'm not even gonna waste my time explaining or defending GR's improvement.

Find something that makes you happy in life. Cleary it is not high school hockey, perpetually negative.
Is there some indicators to show Rapids improvement?

FACT Teams in the section improving are the following:
Andover 10-3 5.46 GPG - 2.46 GAA
Duluth Marshal 10-3-1 5 GPG = 1.71 GAA
Elk River 10-4 5.36 GPG - 2.86 GAA
East 8-0-3 4.36 GPG - 2.64 GAA
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:Andover and Duluth Marshall handling Centennial and Maple Grove. 7AA is officially out of control!
I think it shows too that whoever coached the Cloquet kids in youth hockey with the success they had must have been a pretty good coach. I think Smalls can get it done but maybe reach out and get some help. Motivation and discipline seems to be an issue
Motivation, discipline AND you could probably throw many more into this.....consistency would be a big one. Maybe teaching the young men respect for the game and officials and not blaming everyone under the sun when a game doesn't go your way.
blueblood

7AA

Post by blueblood »

Is the cold air affecting the 218’ers MN nice attitudes? If this whole topic goes any farther south, I propose the forum overlord reinstate sats81 and let the real fun begin....
Play Like a Champion Today
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

north_bear wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote: How is getting outshot 77-13 and losing 5-1 an improvement? Other than Holum standing on his head which is expected in front of this team. Where is the improvement? Give us some raw data to prove the improvement. Quick review of shot totals doesn't really indicate improvement. So what is your benchmark in throwing out the statement?

Andover
Duluth Marshal
Elk River
East

Those stats are meaningless without comparing them to say the first five games of the year. Right now they are just stats, there is no way to say those teams have improved from the start of the season.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

I think 7AA had a pretty good day with East besting Minnetonka and Andover pounding Centennial. Not originally being from here, I don't have the deep-seated animosity towards programs up-the-range or from the less-west portions of Duluth. So, I am generally happy to see success from anywhere in the 218.

Although Northwoods' tone suggests larger personal issues, in general it is a fair enough question. Not to mention, I appreciate his apparently growing interest in big boy hockey.

I contemplated conducting a discriminant analysis or principal components analysis to statistically demonstrate my reasons for feeling that I see improvement, but this is for fun, so I will fallback on the "Eye Test" method.

GR is sitting at 3-10-1 right now. Their "quality" losses are against Edina, Eden Prairie, Elk River, Brainerd, Moorhead, Andover, and Holy Family. Given the upper-echelon players they lost prior to the season, AND given Karl's most recent AA rankings, those are all predictable losses. The other three losses are against Greenway and Virginia (somewhere towards the top 10 of A teams) and BSM. Those also happen to be their first 3 games of the season.

GR saw a lot of running time games prior to Christmas. They also tended to give-up goals in bunches, which suggested the better teams could overwhelm GR when top teams took time to take an interest in the game. There were games where success seemed to be measured by clearing the puck from GR's zone, passes went to no one frequently, and whiffing on the puck was common.

In recent games, GR has stayed competitive longer into the games they lose, battled to a tie with a decent Maple Grove team. GR kept it a little bit more interesting for longer against a top 5 Holy Family team than one would expect from the early season GR. There are times now when GR actually sustains pressure in the opponent's end of the ice, passes actually go to teammates, GR is able to advance the puck out of their own end with purpose, and I am seeing fewer whiffs on pucks.

It looks like they are able to compete well against clearly superior teams until they start to wear-down. I am not seeing a team quitting or playing with their heads down. They look like they are trying to improve within the context of playing an elite schedule.

So, yes, I feel they are playing better, as they figure out how to play while missing many pieces and with a new coach. This is what I am seeing.

So, snarl and snipe all you like, Northwoods, but the only person tasting your vinegar is yourself. It is a down year for the team in GR, but hockey is alive and well. We'll be back.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
northwoods oldtimer

Immigrant Fan wrote:I think 7AA had a pretty good day with East besting Minnetonka and Andover pounding Centennial. Not originally being from here, I don't have the deep-seated animosity towards programs up-the-range or from the less-west portions of Duluth. So, I am generally happy to see success from anywhere in the 218.

Although Northwoods' tone suggests larger personal issues, in general it is a fair enough question. Not to mention, I appreciate his apparently growing interest in big boy hockey.

I contemplated conducting a discriminant analysis or principal components analysis to statistically demonstrate my reasons for feeling that I see improvement, but this is for fun, so I will fallback on the "Eye Test" method.

GR is sitting at 3-10-1 right now. Their "quality" losses are against Edina, Eden Prairie, Elk River, Brainerd, Moorhead, Andover, and Holy Family. Given the upper-echelon players they lost prior to the season, AND given Karl's most recent AA rankings, those are all predictable losses. The other three losses are against Greenway and Virginia (somewhere towards the top 10 of A teams) and BSM. Those also happen to be their first 3 games of the season.

GR saw a lot of running time games prior to Christmas. They also tended to give-up goals in bunches, which suggested the better teams could overwhelm GR when top teams took time to take an interest in the game. There were games where success seemed to be measured by clearing the puck from GR's zone, passes went to no one frequently, and whiffing on the puck was common.

In recent games, GR has stayed competitive longer into the games they lose, battled to a tie with a decent Maple Grove team. GR kept it a little bit more interesting for longer against a top 5 Holy Family team than one would expect from the early season GR. There are times now when GR actually sustains pressure in the opponent's end of the ice, passes actually go to teammates, GR is able to advance the puck out of their own end with purpose, and I am seeing fewer whiffs on pucks.

It looks like they are able to compete well against clearly superior teams until they start to wear-down. I am not seeing a team quitting or playing with their heads down. They look like they are trying to improve within the context of playing an elite schedule.

So, yes, I feel they are playing better, as they figure out how to play while missing many pieces and with a new coach. This is what I am seeing.

So, snarl and snipe all you like, Northwoods, but the only person tasting your vinegar is yourself. It is a down year for the team in GR, but hockey is alive and well. We'll be back.
ImmigrantADFan. good break down for the Thunder. Thanks for sharing some insight. Some of your fan base get pretty defensive when asked a few questions. You guys take your free shots all you want.
I praised the goalie Holum and I think the young Clafton kid has held up extremely well in games he has been placed in.

Still the best teams trending upwards are
East
Elks
Andover
Duluth Marshall
Expect to see those 4 down in semi finals.
Stay on topic.
northwoods oldtimer

north_bear wrote:
north_bear wrote: Get over yourself. I'm not even gonna waste my time explaining or defending GR's improvement.

Those stats are meaningless without comparing them to say the first five games of the year. Right now they are just stats, there is no way to say those teams have improved from the start of the season.
Karl is giving the teams listed above some credibility.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 953#714953
kniven

Post by kniven »

Duluth Marshall in Cloquet tomorrow night. DM playing great recently and CEC is not playing well. The purple need this one, but they needed the Andover game even more. This is the only matchup this regular season with DM. I can see the purple winning, but objectively don’t see it happening. CLQ running out of meaningful 7AA matchups to climb into a top 4 seed. Duluth East game. Even if they found a way to win that one, they would still be on the outside looking in. They need to forget about where they seed and get their MOJO back. I believe they can and will figure things out. I’m a huge fan -what else would a huge fan hope for! Grand Rapids fan(s) understand right. A huge fan to the end no matter. “It’s not easy being a huge fan”. “If it were, everybody would do it”!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

kniven wrote:Duluth Marshall in Cloquet tomorrow night. DM playing great recently and CEC is not playing well. The purple need this one, but they needed the Andover game even more. This is the only matchup this regular season with DM. I can see the purple winning, but objectively don’t see it happening. CLQ running out of meaningful 7AA matchups to climb into a top 4 seed. Duluth East game. Even if they found a way to win that one, they would still be on the outside looking in. They need to forget about where they seed and get their MOJO back. I believe they can and will figure things out. I’m a huge fan -what else would a huge fan hope for! Grand Rapids fan(s) understand right. A huge fan to the end no matter. “It’s not easy being a huge fan”. “If it were, everybody would do it”!
Knivvsy, meaningful 7AA matchups have gone by the wayside. You need to focus on beating any AA teams with decent records and get Proctor off the schedule. Elk could beat Andover twice and still finish behind them in seeding if they lose to many games.
northwoods oldtimer

alcloseshaver wrote:
kniven wrote:Duluth Marshall in Cloquet tomorrow night. DM playing great recently and CEC is not playing well. The purple need this one, but they needed the Andover game even more. This is the only matchup this regular season with DM. I can see the purple winning, but objectively don’t see it happening. CLQ running out of meaningful 7AA matchups to climb into a top 4 seed. Duluth East game. Even if they found a way to win that one, they would still be on the outside looking in. They need to forget about where they seed and get their MOJO back. I believe they can and will figure things out. I’m a huge fan -what else would a huge fan hope for! Grand Rapids fan(s) understand right. A huge fan to the end no matter. “It’s not easy being a huge fan”. “If it were, everybody would do it”!
Knivvsy, meaningful 7AA matchups have gone by the wayside. You need to focus on beating any AA teams with decent records and get Proctor off the schedule. Elk could beat Andover twice and still finish behind them in seeding if they lose to many games.
That QRF is goofy! So section head to head doesn't mean much?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

alcloseshaver wrote:
It doesn't mean any more or any less than any other games a team plays, and that's a little screwy, for lack of a more descriptive word. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
northwoods oldtimer

east hockey wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Knivvsy, meaningful 7AA matchups have gone by the wayside. You need to focus on beating any AA teams with decent records and get Proctor off the schedule. Elk could beat Andover twice and still finish behind them in seeding if they lose to many games.
It doesn't mean any more or any less than any other games a team plays, and that's a little screwy, for lack of a more descriptive word. :mrgreen:

Lee
Wow! Why the change? Was the section forced to QRF? Do all sections have to use QRF for section rankings? It is going to take a long time for an old man to get used to this new rankings for section. Twilight zone stuff.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Only 7AA is using it and it was voted on by the schools. East and Marshall were the only 2 schools to vote against using it. The thought was it would eliminate any posturing like having Rapids as the 4 seed last year. If it is continued to be used teams could look at who they schedule if section games are not that important.
kniven

Post by kniven »

alcloseshaver wrote:Only 7AA is using it and it was voted on by the schools. East and Marshall were the only 2 schools to vote against using it. The thought was it would eliminate any posturing like having Rapids as the 4 seed last year. If it is continued to be used teams could look at who they schedule if section games are not that important.
So I’m confused. Are the coaches meeting or not? I think it stinks when section games don’t mean much.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

kniven wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Only 7AA is using it and it was voted on by the schools. East and Marshall were the only 2 schools to vote against using it. The thought was it would eliminate any posturing like having Rapids as the 4 seed last year. If it is continued to be used teams could look at who they schedule if section games are not that important.
So I’m confused. Are the coaches meeting or not? I think it stinks when section games don’t mean much.
No coaches meeting, you can check it on the Minnesota-scores web site every Monday.