Trent Klatt stepping down at GR....

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:24 pm

mulefarm wrote:
norcon wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:Heard same thing from Rapids fans. The top guys are leaving and there isn't a lot in the cupboard. May not be the entire reason Klatt is leaving but I would bet it was a big part of it!
I personally spoke to one of the top guys today and he informed me that he hasn't decided yet as to where he will be playing next fall and it sounds like the same for the others as well. Trent did a nice job with the team this season but remember this same group won the state AA bantam championship just a few years ago. Not like he turned the program around. Plenty of capable candidates available, just in GR alone. Life will go on for the Halloween machine.
I don't think GR would have won the title without Trent.
Agreed

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:55 am

kniven wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
norcon wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:Heard same thing from Rapids fans. The top guys are leaving and there isn't a lot in the cupboard. May not be the entire reason Klatt is leaving but I would bet it was a big part of it!
I personally spoke to one of the top guys today and he informed me that he hasn't decided yet as to where he will be playing next fall and it sounds like the same for the others as well. Trent did a nice job with the team this season but remember this same group won the state AA bantam championship just a few years ago. Not like he turned the program around. Plenty of capable candidates available, just in GR alone. Life will go on for the Halloween machine.
Agreed
In general, what is more important. Great coaching or good players? In high school hockey.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:51 am

kniven wrote:
kniven wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
norcon wrote:
Agreed
In general, what is more important. Great coaching or good players? In high school hockey.
Good players make great coaches.
(Based on win-loss, tournament appearances and those things that seem to be more tangible)

Tripod

Post by Tripod » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:32 am

It was fun to observe Coach Klatt at the tourney last season. He was into it! He was all-in for his players, wanted them to reach the top - and it showed. A great ambassador for MN high school hockey.

YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Blake moved from Elk River second year PeeWee (after the death of his father). Micah open enrolled and played first year PeeWee in GR.

Top teams have been getting top players to arrive for a long time...no glass house is safe.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Heard today that Blake is indeed going to USHL n Gavin is headed to Development program.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:Heard today that Blake is indeed going to USHL n Gavin is headed to Development program.
Interesting these boys are moving on early. Especially when this group went t state beating the current senior/junior tandem at Cloquet. #uneverknowiguess.

Upfan111

Re: Trent Klatt stepping down at GR....

Post by Upfan111 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:13 pm

kniven wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:
Slammer wrote:Wow. What a shocker this morning. Seems to have come out of nowhere.

Klatt is stepping down to pursue his college degree this year. I'm assuming he's doing this so he can coach at the U of M.

Link- https://twitter.com/tklatt26/status/871014835634536449
Not really a shocker. Miller is gone, Stejkal/Hain/ Mclaughin most likely not coming back and losing most of his D to graduation he saw the writing on the wall.
I disagree. Those boys are coming back. Just my opinion. Coach Klatt a great guy who has other priorities more important in his life, and he can't commit 100%, which a great program like Rapids needs from its leader. There are droves of fine coaches getting in line to coach this team.

And to say coaches come and go depending on talent? Hogwash. Coaches want to be there through lean and good years: builds character:). Rapids will be just fine. S/H/M will be back. Rapids doesn't loose many pucksters early.....

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:21 pm

mulefarm wrote:
norcon wrote:
. I agree that coach Klatt did a great job. But he did have the horses also. Not sure how many D1 players they will end up with the last 2 years but it has to be as many as they've had in 37 years.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:46 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
norcon wrote:
. I agree that coach Klatt did a great job. But he did have the horses also. Not sure how many D1 players they will end up with the last 2 years but it has to be as many as they've had in 37 years.
Not even close. I don't think they'll have more than 8 from the last 2 teams. They've had way more than that in the 37 years prior to that. They were some great teams that came up short over that time frame.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:31 am

The Duluth East Era of Dominance Is Back!

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:50 am

Slammer wrote:The Duluth East Era of Dominance Is Back!
Agreed.

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:46 pm

yippee :?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:13 pm

North bear- I think the 76 GR team produced 13 D-1s. Don't think any other GR team since has been close to that. Did any get as high as 9 ? don't think any got to double digits

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:00 pm

north_bear wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
norcon wrote:
Not even close. I don't think they'll have more than 8 from the last 2 teams. They've had way more than that in the 37 years prior to that. They were some great teams that came up short over that time frame.
I meant on the ice at the same time. Not 37 years combined. I understand why you thought I meant different. I should have worded it differently.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Sad to see Klatt go. I won't say I'm stunned; he never struck me as a HS coaching lifer in the way some others do, and there may be a bit of a chicken-or-egg question now with any early departures, but I'll hold off on that speculation for now.

One could certainly say he came along at the right time, based on the talent they had, but I believe GR had more D-I players than East the three years prior to his arrival, too, but those all came to naught. He did a good job of guiding a skilled group through a lot of ups and downs and had them peaking at the right time both years. He also seemed like a class act and a leader who held his team to a high standard. It took some skill to bring this group along, and Klatt had it. And while there was some incredible talent on this past year's team, they didn't exactly fit the prototypical mold of a championship team, either. Rapids will miss him, though I expect this position will bring out some very capable applicants. Whoever takes it just needs to be ready for the spotlight in Rapids, which is as intense as any out there.

No shortage of offseason intrigue up in this part of the state this year. We'll see what comes next...

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:52 am

ttt

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:07 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
north_bear wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
norcon wrote:
I meant on the ice at the same time. Not 37 years combined. I understand why you thought I meant different. I should have worded it differently.
Ahh I gotcha now. That makes sense.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Any news in GROOMS? Who's applying? Who is going to get the job.

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:42 am

Relatively quiet front, actually. My guess is Nuch.