Elite player to Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Elite player to Hermantown

Post by greenwayraider » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:00 am

Heard that a top player in his age group from Ely is transferring to Hermantown. He will be attending an assessment camp in New York this summer. Out of approximately 100 players who tried out he made the final cut of 20. He will be a freshman at Hermantown this fall.

kniven

Re: Elite player to Hermantown

Post by kniven » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:42 am

greenwayraider wrote:Heard that a top player in his age group from Ely is transferring to Hermantown. He will be attending an assessment camp in New York this summer. Out of approximately 100 players who tried out he made the final cut of 20. He will be a freshman at Hermantown this fall.
Makes sense. What outlying kid wouldn't want to play hockey at Hermantown. #1 destination for A hockey in the state. That's very attractive for the kids. And their players are being recruited beyond high school too. If they were in AA, they would just be another program. Stay we're you are Hermantown. Well done! I think Cloquet and Marshall need to go A and put something in the way of their march to state every year. As of right now, it's generally a cake walk.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:22 pm

kniven wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Heard that a top player in his age group from Ely is transferring to Hermantown. He will be attending an assessment camp in New York this summer. Out of approximately 100 players who tried out he made the final cut of 20. He will be a freshman at Hermantown this fall.
Makes sense. What outlying kid wouldn't want to play hockey at Hermantown. #1 destination for A hockey in the state. That's very attractive for the kids. And their players are being recruited beyond high school too. If they were in AA, they would just be another program. Stay we're you are Hermantown. Well done! I think Cloquet and Marshall need to go A and put something in the way of their march to state every year. As of right now, it's generally a cake walk.
Just another program? They have beaten the AA champ two years in a row, and would have been a top 2-3 seed in 7AA most seasons for a decade now. Getting to state is a cakewalk for them because they have the talent to be a strong AA program. I know your world has been shaken by the turmoil in Cloquet, but don't spiral down into insanity, Kniven. :)
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

rainier

Post by rainier » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:49 pm

rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:
Just another program? They have beaten the AA champ two years in a row, and would have been a top 2-3 seed in 7AA most seasons for a decade now. Getting to state is a cakewalk for them because they have the talent to be a strong AA program. I know your world has been shaken by the turmoil in Cloquet, but don't spiral down into insanity, Kniven. :)
I'll add that I have no problem with the kid transferring to Hermantown. They do have a great program and he will face the best competition--until the playoffs start.

Looking back on this past year's tourney, the contrast between the A and AA champs is stark. The vast majority of fans were rooting for GR, a team that opts up to AA, to win it all, while the vast majority of fans were completely bored with Hermantown winning A again. (The Hawk players seemed bored with it too.)

Any GR fans out there willing to trade your last two years of great AA success for all of Hermantown's years of A success? Didn't think so. I don't think anyone would make that trade.

Again, Hermantown is an excellent program and it makes sense that a kid would want to play there. His presence will bolster what is already a strong group coming up from Pee Wees. Hopefully once Hermantown weathers the two heartbreaking "down" years they are facing they will finally give their kids the challenge they have earned.

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Who cares

:shock: :shock: :shock:

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:07 am

WendyClark wrote:Who cares

I don't really care. But it's fun and interesting :). #218puck

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:24 am

It will be interesting to see if he plays another year of Bantams or go into high school.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:32 am

rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:
I'll add that I have no problem with the kid transferring to Hermantown. They do have a great program and he will face the best competition--until the playoffs start.

Looking back on this past year's tourney, the contrast between the A and AA champs is stark. The vast majority of fans were rooting for GR, a team that opts up to AA, to win it all, while the vast majority of fans were completely bored with Hermantown winning A again. (The Hawk players seemed bored with it too.)

Any GR fans out there willing to trade your last two years of great AA success for all of Hermantown's years of A success? Didn't think so. I don't think anyone would make that trade.

Again, Hermantown is an excellent program and it makes sense that a kid would want to play there. His presence will bolster what is already a strong group coming up from Pee Wees. Hopefully once Hermantown weathers the two heartbreaking "down" years they are facing they will finally give their kids the challenge they have earned.
It hasn't been that long ago that Hermantown won all 3 of their games in OT to win Class A state. What a cakewalk that was! I for one, greatly enjoyed watching the Class A tournament, and I am not from Hermantown. I really think the angst is a little overblown here.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:08 pm

kniven wrote:
WendyClark wrote:Who cares

I don't really care. But it's fun and interesting :). #218puck
No angst with me. I see Hermantown play every year. They are always big, strong, powerful, and fast. A team that keeps coming at you. Rolling 4 lines of depth/talent at forward and their defenseman! Wow-over the years! I've got nothing but respect for Hawks hockey. A Win is aWin no matter how you get there. The Hawks punish opponents generally. Very impressive system indeed

BP

Post by BP » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:03 pm

kniven wrote:
It will be interesting to see if he plays another year of Bantams or go into high school.

He played Varsity for Ely as an 8th grader last year. He won't be going back to bantams.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 pm

BP wrote:
kniven wrote:

He played Varsity for Ely as an 8th grader last year. He won't be going back to bantams.
Nice! I can't wait too see this kid. A lot of people underestimate the Hawks this upcoming year. They will be dominate once again.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:07 pm

zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:

It hasn't been that long ago that Hermantown won all 3 of their games in OT to win Class A state. What a cakewalk that was! I for one, greatly enjoyed watching the Class A tournament, and I am not from Hermantown. I really think the angst is a little overblown here.
Yeah, a team that goes to the A title game eight years in a row, competes well in AA all through youth, and regularly beats top AA competition at the high school level-including beating the last two AA champs-is right where they belong in Class A. :roll:

The average shots on goal in the three tourney games was 58-25; they dominated those games, and didn't look very interested while they were doing it, likely because they watched teams they knew they could beat advance in the AA tourney. If opposing A teams' goalies continue to stand on their heads while the Hermantown goalie plays uncharacteristically poor, then yes, the A tourney will be close. But I wouldn't bet on it.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:21 pm

I don't think Hermantown should move up. I do believe Cloquet and Duluth Marshall should play where they belong: A. Cloquet and Marshall will never get a wiff of the state tourney playing with the big boys. If they do, it will be once every 10- 20 years. And no chance to win the ship at state.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 pm

kniven wrote:I don't think Hermantown should move up. I do believe Cloquet and Duluth Marshall should play where they belong: A. Cloquet and Marshall will never get a wiff of the state tourney playing with the big boys. If they do, it will be once every 10- 20 years. And no chance to win the ship at state.[/quote

That's quite a different thought then what you've said in the past with old regime.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:37 pm

Upfan111 wrote:
kniven wrote:I don't think Hermantown should move up. I do believe Cloquet and Duluth Marshall should play where they belong: A. Cloquet and Marshall will never get a wiff of the state tourney playing with the big boys. If they do, it will be once every 10- 20 years. And no chance to win the ship at state.[/quote

That's quite a different thought then what you've said in the past with old regime.
Very true. Not only is CEC class A, but also CEC gets very, very rarely gets transfers in to play for them. It would sure be nice to see the kids in purple have a good chance year in and out make it to state. Play AA in youth, but A in high school. Kids work extremely hard and every year, generally fall way short of a state appearance. Hermantown would still be the favorite most years in 7A. But getting through East, Elk River, Grand Rapids, and big program Andover (enrollment) is generally not going to happen. Generally, CEC doesn't even play the schedule Hermantown or even Marshall play in the regular season. CEC girls are now in 7A. The boys should. E there as well.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 am

rainier wrote:
zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:

Yeah, a team that goes to the A title game eight years in a row, competes well in AA all through youth, and regularly beats top AA competition at the high school level-including beating the last two AA champs-is right where they belong in Class A. :roll:

The average shots on goal in the three tourney games was 58-25; they dominated those games, and didn't look very interested while they were doing it, likely because they watched teams they knew they could beat advance in the AA tourney. If opposing A teams' goalies continue to stand on their heads while the Hermantown goalie plays uncharacteristically poor, then yes, the A tourney will be close. But I wouldn't bet on it.
Yeah, likely what was going through each players head, was " we could likely beat teams advancing in AA, so I will not be interested in playing in a State Tournament game" Geeez. Let's give no credit to the other 3 teams that played them tough. Let's just cry like babies about Hermantown 12 months a year. I never said they belong in Class A... I said the angst is a little overblown. If they move up, then everyone will move on to teams like EGF to move up... it .... will... never.... end.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:57 am

zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:

Yeah, likely what was going through each players head, was " we could likely beat teams advancing in AA, so I will not be interested in playing in a State Tournament game" Geeez. Let's give no credit to the other 3 teams that played them tough. Let's just cry like babies about Hermantown 12 months a year. I never said they belong in Class A... I said the angst is a little overblown. If they move up, then everyone will move on to teams like EGF to move up... it .... will... never.... end.
If you'd been paying attention the last few years you would know that isn't true. EGF won back to back titles and every kid was from EGF. Everyone in the State was rooting for them. Hermantown had 5 players last year who live outside the District, plus several more who moved in for Hockey. Their top player each of the last two years has lived outside the District. Their top player for this next year was a transfer, and now another Freshman Phenom coming in from Ely with another to follow, (According to YHH). Their Youth Association is loaded with top players who open-enroll there specifically to play Hockey.

Nobody has ever said they should move up because they're good. It's because they have all of the advantages that no other Class A school has, which is what puts them over the edge. They play AA hockey all through youth. Both 7AA and 7A would be instantly better if they played where they belong. I think that's all people are saying. They have far more transfers than East, Rapids or Cloquet. So why shouldn't they be facing off against them in Sections when it matters? What Hockey fan doesn't want to see that?

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:15 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:

If you'd been paying attention the last few years you would know that isn't true. EGF won back to back titles and every kid was from EGF. Everyone in the State was rooting for them. Hermantown had 5 players last year who live outside the District, plus several more who moved in for Hockey. Their top player each of the last two years has lived outside the District. Their top player for this next year was a transfer, and now another Freshman Phenom coming in from Ely with another to follow, (According to YHH). Their Youth Association is loaded with top players who open-enroll there specifically to play Hockey.

Nobody has ever said they should move up because they're good. It's because they have all of the advantages that no other Class A school has, which is what puts them over the edge. They play AA hockey all through youth. Both 7AA and 7A would be instantly better if they played where they belong. I think that's all people are saying. They have far more transfers than East, Rapids or Cloquet. So why shouldn't they be facing off against them in Sections when it matters? What Hockey fan doesn't want to see that?
I believe I have been paying attention, and it is true that once Hermantown moves up, you will all move on to the next best team. If Cathedral goes on a run, or EGF does, you will all jump on them to move up. You telling me that EGF never has move ins from Grand Forks, or Crookston? Never? I have stated multiple times, that my call would be for Hermantown to go AA, but that is their call.

However, for the sake of argument: What advantage does Hermantown have that every other A team couldn't also have? That they are good, and people want to be part of it? Kids are transferring and open-enrolling all over the state because of hockey (which is sad). Success breeds success. Look at Delano, Mahtomedi, Alexandria, Sartell, Northfield... all programs coming on strong. Any of their youth programs could go AA just as easy as Hermantown does.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:41 am

zooomx wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:

I believe I have been paying attention, and it is true that once Hermantown moves up, you will all move on to the next best team. If Cathedral goes on a run, or EGF does, you will all jump on them to move up. You telling me that EGF never has move ins from Grand Forks, or Crookston? Never? I have stated multiple times, that my call would be for Hermantown to go AA, but that is their call.

However, for the sake of argument: What advantage does Hermantown have that every other A team couldn't also have? That they are good, and people want to be part of it? Kids are transferring and open-enrolling all over the state because of hockey (which is sad). Success breeds success. Look at Delano, Mahtomedi, Alexandria, Sartell, Northfield... all programs coming on strong. Any of their youth programs could go AA just as easy as Hermantown does.
Kids don't transfer from Grand Forks to EGF, ask someone from there. It's sacrilege to do that there, like it used to be in most places. Every kid on those two title teams was from EGF.

The Duluth MSA had a population of 279,771 in 2010, the second largest in the State. Hermantown gets top players from all of it. If you can't see the difference between them and the other Class A communities then you probably don't want to, which is fine.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:52 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
zooomx wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
zooomx wrote:
rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:

Kids don't transfer from Grand Forks to EGF, ask someone from there. It's sacrilege to do that there, like it used to be in most places. Every kid on those two title teams was from EGF.

The Duluth MSA had a population of 279,771 in 2010, the second largest in the State. Hermantown gets top players from all of it. If you can't see the difference between them and the other Class A communities then you probably don't want to, which is fine.
Yes, but how is that an unfair advantage? Single A schools in the Metro have far more quality hockey players in their back yard. My point is Hermantown is not a private school. Just a public school that happens to be fed by a great youth program.

My bigger point is that the true reason they should move up is because they are so good. Take on the next challenge. I do not feel that they should move up due to unfair advantages.

BP

Post by BP » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:01 pm

The biggest issue with Hermantown is that the top brass complained that they can't compete with "metro all-star teams" when they were losing to Breck and STA. They act like they are Ely or Kittson Central - a super small town with not a lot of numbers and can't compete with the big schools and ALL of their kids are from inside the borders of H'town - when everyone knows that is not the case. No one has an issue with them being good - it's being a hypocrite and the fact that they play AA all youth years AND have a predominately AA High School schedule. Combine with beating the past two AA champions - then you have an issue. EVERYONE loves the small town story - building into a power etc. They have done a great job in building a GREAT program, year in and year out - hats off to everyone that has done it. BUT, you can't say all those things, perform the way you do, LOADS of D1 guys, and stay in A without everyone being up in arms. End of the day - that is what it. AND - they had 8 guys in the Elite League this year - not bad for an A team.

Class A teams will have good groups coming through - no doubt (see EGF, SPA, Mahtomedi, Delano, etc). But to sustain it for over a decade, be in state title game for 8 straight years, have multiple kids from outside the district, play AA as a youth then A in HS, etc - that is the problem. I have nothing but respect for how the community and the previous staff did building what they have - it's awesome and other communities should model themselves after it. That said, move up and no one will say a word anymore and in fact - they will be the lovable northern team at State and everyone will be pulling for them like Rapids, Roseau, Warroad, etc.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm

BP wrote:The biggest issue with Hermantown is that the top brass complained that they can't compete with "metro all-star teams" when they were losing to Breck and STA. They act like they are Ely or Kittson Central - a super small town with not a lot of numbers and can't compete with the big schools and ALL of their kids are from inside the borders of H'town - when everyone knows that is not the case. No one has an issue with them being good - it's being a hypocrite and the fact that they play AA all youth years AND have a predominately AA High School schedule. Combine with beating the past two AA champions - then you have an issue. EVERYONE loves the small town story - building into a power etc. They have done a great job in building a GREAT program, year in and year out - hats off to everyone that has done it. BUT, you can't say all those things, perform the way you do, LOADS of D1 guys, and stay in A without everyone being up in arms. End of the day - that is what it. AND - they had 8 guys in the Elite League this year - not bad for an A team.

Class A teams will have good groups coming through - no doubt (see EGF, SPA, Mahtomedi, Delano, etc). But to sustain it for over a decade, be in state title game for 8 straight years, have multiple kids from outside the district, play AA as a youth then A in HS, etc - that is the problem. I have nothing but respect for how the community and the previous staff did building what they have - it's awesome and other communities should model themselves after it. That said, move up and no one will say a word anymore and in fact - they will be the lovable northern team at State and everyone will be pulling for them like Rapids, Roseau, Warroad, etc.
This. Can't say it much better than that.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:23 pm

kniven wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:

Very true. Not only is CEC class A, but also CEC gets very, very rarely gets transfers in to play for them. It would sure be nice to see the kids in purple have a good chance year in and out make it to state. Play AA in youth, but A in high school. Kids work extremely hard and every year, generally fall way short of a state appearance. Hermantown would still be the favorite most years in 7A. But getting through East, Elk River, Grand Rapids, and big program Andover (enrollment) is generally not going to happen. Generally, CEC doesn't even play the schedule Hermantown or even Marshall play in the regular season. CEC girls are now in 7A. The boys should. E there as well.
Cloquet used to get many many transfers, 5 NHL players in a town that sized non of whom played A Hockey, UMD captain I salute that program not tear it down, good for them and 7AA, Look for Grand Rapids to take a big slide, I believe it was you that said Rapids does not lose players would not lose players, cannot remember last time Andover beat Cloquet, 1.elks 2.east. 3.cloquet

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Not tearing it down. If people can defend Hermantown playing A, then why not Cloquet. We agree to disagree. That's all.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:23 pm

kniven wrote:Not tearing it down. If people can defend Hermantown playing A, then why not Cloquet. We agree to disagree. That's all.
There was a time Cloquet and East as well as Elk River were accused of recruiting, why? because they had good players, and players came because they wanted to play with the good homegrown talent.times are different now true but I think the current group can play with anyone, time will tell. To compare the girls and boys program is ridiculous, we are all waiting for you to jump back on the bandwagon