Duluth East- back to 7AA dominance?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Slammer

Duluth East- back to 7AA dominance?

Post by Slammer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:27 pm

With the news of Hain, McLaughlin, and Stejkal all not returning for Rapids, does this mean the East era is back?

East is almost returning all of their skaters and were within a ringed post of going to state. Who knows what could have happened there since Rapids won it all.

I think this team might have their best shot of winning at all since the 90’s. Very deep and young.

What do you think ushsho?

Usthockey13

Re: Duluth East- back to 7AA dominance?

Post by Usthockey13 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:38 am

Slammer wrote:With the news of Hain, McLaughlin, and Stejkal all not returning for Rapids, does this mean the East era is back?

East is almost returning all of their skaters and were within a ringed post of going to state. Who knows what could have happened there since Rapids won it all.

I think this team might have their best shot of winning at all since the 90’s. Very deep and young.

I would say its going to be one of their better chances. All top 9 forwards return and they return 4 D from last season. Plus they have 15 kids coming up from their bantam AA team

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:52 am

Slammer wrote:With the news of Hain, McLaughlin, and Stejkal all not returning for Rapids, does this mean the East era is back?

Agreed. Duluth East era is back. Lots of good kids, a great coach, and system that has worked for years and years.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:18 am

Definitely the team to beat. I'm anxious to see what Elk River has but East has always had their number in the playoffs. Would be great to see the Hounds hang another banner.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:38 am

Perhaps the Duluth East era of 'dominance' is returning. They really haven't gone anywhere, 7 straight trips to State between 2009-2015, with two State championship appearances, plus two Section final losses in 2016 & 2017 that went down to the final seconds one year, and to OT against the eventual state champion most recently.

I think this will be East's best team since 2011-12, and maybe their best since 1998, when they also had exceptional team chemistry and scoring depth. What might concern East fans is that the 2011-12 team did not seem to improve upon their surprise run to the 2011 epic title game that next season. In-season injuries to Nate Repensky and Trevor Olson did not help, but neither did the butt-kicking laid on them by Minnetonka that seemed to cast doubt upon the team and coaching staff in general. That team just seemed to coast along and fittingly were ambushed by a well-coached, opportunistic Lakeville South club in the 2012 State quarters.

What ought to concern the rest of the state is that, barring something unforeseen, the 2017-18 team will be loaded with skill, tenacity and size. Moorhead will likely start the season top-ranked, and Edina will be a handful (if everyone returns) but the Hounds might be the best team.

boblee

Post by boblee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Did I miss official announcements from McLaughlin and Stejskal?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:54 pm

boblee wrote:

Very doubtful that they come back. Even if they do, East is still the favorite and it's probably not that close.

boblee

Post by boblee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
boblee wrote:

Very doubtful that they come back. Even if they do, East is still the favorite and it's probably not that close.
I don't expect them to return. Duluth East can be the favorite. Can it be "news" if it didn't actually happen?

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:31 pm

I don't think they will get past Hermantown. Do I recall according to you, Hermantown will be AA this year as you saw the signed papers...... I guess you would also have seen the news if the GR players are coming back or not????

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Can we just give them the trophy this summer?

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:13 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:Can we just give them the trophy this summer?
No meaningful contributions coming from you on this summer diversion, eh?

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:31 pm

mnmouth wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Can we just give them the trophy this summer?
No meaningful contributions coming from you on this summer diversion, eh?
My summer contribution is the other thread.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Obviously anytime you return three intact lines that all did some scoring last year, there's a lot to like about a team. That's probably even more true for a system-driven team like East that relies on chemistry and players knowing the forecheck. The key up front will be the top line, which was fine last year but frankly the point levels there should be more than the mid-30s, given the talent level. Mageau, Donovan, and Worth need to take the next step together. On D, there's no doubt they can move the puck with Paine and LaMaster. My main question is how well they can lock down defensively, though having a healthy Will Fisher will be a big boost, as he was sorely missed at the end of last season. They've got a new guy in goal, too, though I know they have confidence in him.

This is probably the most skilled East team since 2012, yes. (Though the 2013 squad played above their talent level...a 4-loss regular season and a 2-seed at State, with a narrow loss to an otherwise dominant state champ, whom they beat during the regular season, is awfully good.) And the 2012 team shows the risk for this one: that team built up and was great at midseason but then flat-lined down the stretch and into the Tournament. I think that's the potential downside of being such a system-driven team. They run the risk of just mashing the same buttons instead of using their natural creativity or adjusting to situations. That's something the coaching staff will have to manage.

Beyond what the Hounds can control, this is certainly a fairly favorable 7AA on paper. The two teams they've been battling tooth and nail for the section title over the past 5 seasons, Rapids and Elk River, lose a lot...though there's still a little question as to exactly how much. I expect the Elks to reload and will probably still have them at preseason #2, barring unforeseen departures. Rapids, on the other hand, is probably facing a couple of lean years on the front end, though they will still have some vets who know how to win a trophy and a goalie who can steal one.

Then you've got the rising powers. Cloquet will get some hype for good reason, though there are question marks in a few places, most notably behind the bench; we'll see if they can take Rapids' place as the second northern power here. Andover is on the upswing, but my guess is they're probably still a year away. Marshall was young and will be better, but I'm not sure there's enough in the cupboard to match East or Elk River's depth.

Lots to learn before we hand out any trophies. The tournament at Braemar in a couple of weeks should give us some early clues as to where they're at.

HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Once Karl or Tony Scott tell us Blake and Zach are gone all I think Grand Rapids has next year is Michael Heitkamp, Gabe Holum, Miskovich, Cooper Brodzinski and Hunter Bischoff.

Elk River don't sleep on those guys...they have a LOADED bantam aa class coming in. Austen Humphrey and Zach Michaelis are the real deal. Neilson on defense and Majeres in goal. My bold prediction for the year is that they win 7AA.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:33 am

HockeyonFire wrote:

Once Karl or Tony Scott tell us Blake and Zach are gone all I think Grand Rapids has next year is Michael Heitkamp, Gabe Holum, Miskovich, Cooper Brodzinski and Hunter Bischoff.

Elk River don't sleep on those guys...they have a LOADED bantam aa class coming in. Austen Humphrey and Zach Michaelis are the real deal. Neilson on defense and Majeres in goal. My bold prediction for the year is that they win 7AA.
If a person sleeps on Elk River.....they've got a mental disorder.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:08 am

kniven wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote:

If a person sleeps on Elk River.....they've got a mental disorder.
The Elks are coming to the Greyhounds dog pen for a game this winter? I believe the Hounds went to Elk country last year. I will be at this game for sure! KarlEast!!!! Save me a seat :)

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:08 pm

I want the seat between Kniven and Karl. Lee and Shaver can sit in front of us. Dream 5some 😏

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:39 pm

wolfman wrote:I want the seat between Kniven and Karl. Lee and Shaver can sit in front of us. Dream 5some 😏
Should be doable. We had Lee, Al, and myself all in a row for the 3rd period of Elky-Rapids at Amsoil last year. (Sorry for the reminder, Al.) :D

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:18 pm

karl(east) wrote:
wolfman wrote:I want the seat between Kniven and Karl. Lee and Shaver can sit in front of us. Dream 5some 😏
Should be doable. We had Lee, Al, and myself all in a row for the 3rd period of Elky-Rapids at Amsoil last year. (Sorry for the reminder, Al.) :D
Then I dove over the railing... It has been quite a run up there...

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:04 pm

There is a lot to enjoy between now and the high school hockey season. But I'm starting to get the itch. I will be an interesting season for me, much different than my last 5. I'm looking forward to just being a super huge fan this year and just watching the game I love: Minnesota High School Hockey 218 style :)))

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

I would add Jack Burnson to the list of meaningful returnees for Rapids. He has a super motor and last year was showing the burst, creativity and audacity that Miller displayed his Junior season. I was hopeful he would be on a line with Hain and McLaughlin.

Whatever happens, heh, heh, heh...2017.

Oh yeah, and at the X in 2018, whether it is East, Cloquet, Moorhead, Roseau, GR, or anyone else from 218, I'll be there wearing black and orange rooting for you.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Immigrant Fan wrote:I would add Jack Burnson to the list of meaningful returnees for Rapids. He has a super motor and last year was showing the burst, creativity and audacity that Miller displayed his Junior season. I was hopeful he would be on a line with Hain and McLaughlin.

Whatever happens, heh, heh, heh...2017.

Oh yeah, and at the X in 2018, whether it is East, Cloquet, Moorhead, Roseau, GR, or anyone else from 218, I'll be there wearing black and orange rooting for you.
That is awesome Immigrant fan! That is for me too! I about had a stoke when Rapids won it last year - nothing better than 218 getting the crown. :)

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 am

Jeffy95 wrote:

Definitely the team to beat. I'm anxious to see what Elk River has but East has always had their number in the playoffs. Would be great to see the Hounds hang another banner.
Elk River could have a team with all NHL superstars and they would still choke at the Amsoil.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Duluth East summer/fall scrimmages

I'll be depending on Duluth East fan to let me know when your boys are playing hockey this late summer/fall up north. The Elite league will be very interesting this fall too. Team North(218) should be fun to watch. I will be filming and youtubing the games played in Duluth.

I'm very intrigued with Coach Randolph and his team this year. Much respect for coach. I say "hi" to him and shake his hand every time I see him.

formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 pm

kniven wrote:Duluth East summer/fall scrimmages

I'll be depending on Duluth East fan to let me know when your boys are playing hockey this late summer/fall up north. The Elite league will be very interesting this fall too. Team North(218) should be fun to watch. I will be filming and youtubing the games played in Duluth.

I'm very intrigued with Coach Randolph and his team this year. Much respect for coach. I say "hi" to him and shake his hand every time I see him.
hmmm