Duluth East- back to 7AA dominance?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Wet Paint

Re: Duluth East- back to 7AA dominance?

Post by Wet Paint »

Slammer wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Slammer wrote:With the news of Hain, McLaughlin, and Stejkal all not returning for Rapids, does this mean the East era is back?

East is almost returning all of their skaters and were within a ringed post of going to state. Who knows what could have happened there since Rapids won it all.

I think this team might have their best shot of winning at all since the 90’s. Very deep and young.

What do you think ushsho?
Definitely the team to beat. I'm anxious to see what Elk River has but East has always had their number in the playoffs. Would be great to see the Hounds hang another banner.
Elk River could have a team with all NHL superstars and they would still choke at the Amsoil.
You know how it goes. Some teams just can't handle playing on the other team's home ice when the play offs get into high gear.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

I see Blake M. Is not ready to hand the title to the next greatest team in Mn hockey history just yet.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Very surprised to see Blake coming back. Probably isn’t enough for GR to get through.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Slammer wrote:Very surprised to see Blake coming back. Probably isn’t enough for GR to get through.
Slammy, you need to get better sources.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Slammer wrote:Very surprised to see Blake coming back. Probably isn’t enough for GR to get through.
Well I know Hain and the netminder were leaving. Just didn’t make sense for Blaine to come back after winning a championship.

I actually think it’s a poor decision hockey wise for him.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Slammer wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
Well I know Hain and the netminder were leaving. Just didn’t make sense for Blaine to come back after winning a championship.

I actually think it’s a poor decision hockey wise for him.
Lucia most likely didn't recommend it.
kniven

Post by kniven »

You got to figure with Blake and Holum back for their senior season, Grand Rapids will have one of the best goalies in the state and the best forward in the state playing for the defending champs this year. Rapids will be fine. PS. Holum could easily be the best goalie in the state this year.

1. East
2. Elk/Rapids
3. Rapids/Elk
4. CEC/Andover
5. Marshall
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Glad to see Blake coming back for senior year. I liked his reasoning for it too. It's nice to see a young guy looking on to later life and not wanting to regret leaving early. He is also surrounded by people with plenty of knowledge on advancing hockey careers.

Repeating a season like last year is always tough but his return certainly makes them a contender. They have some real nice players around him and, as Kniven mentioned, Holum is as good of a goalie as anyone in the state.

As good as East, Cloquet, and the Elks are, McClaughlin's return, will make 7AA better.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

kniven wrote:You got to figure with Blake and Holum back for their senior season, Grand Rapids will have one of the best goalies in the state and the best forward in the state playing for the defending champs this year. Rapids will be fine. PS. Holum could easily be the best goalie in the state this year.

1. East
2. Elk/Rapids
3. Rapids/Elk
4. CEC/Andover
5. Marshall
Marshall would be 6 in this scenario.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote:You got to figure with Blake and Holum back for their senior season, Grand Rapids will have one of the best goalies in the state and the best forward in the state playing for the defending champs this year. Rapids will be fine. PS. Holum could easily be the best goalie in the state this year.

1. East
2. Elk/Rapids
3. Rapids/Elk
4. CEC/Andover
5. Marshall
Marshall would be 6 in this scenario.
And I would think that there will be a serious battle to secure a top two seed and avoid a QF knife fight with the likes of an Andover or DM. Of course, we are coming off a season where Rapids seemingly sandbagged their way to a state title, so who knows in this section.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

As good as Blake is, I don't think that moves Rapids past Elk River and Cloquet. It does make them a very dangerous team to have to play come Sections. One of the biggest challenges is having a new head coach again. Klatt did a terrific job of getting things turned around in time for the Sectionals. Marinucci may or may not be able to match Klatt's coaching.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Varsity Roster
# Name Pos Grade
4 Will Fisher D 12
5 Garret Worth F 12
8 Austin Jouppi F 12
11 Nick Lanigan F 12
15 Ricky Lyle F 11
20 Hunter Paine D 11
21 Carson Cochran D 11
22 Ryder Donovan F 11
23 Ian Mageau F 12
24 Jack FitzGerald F 11
25 Luke LaMaster D 12
28 Logan Anderson F 10
30 Lukan Hanson G 11
37 Brendan Baker F 11

Here is the listed players on this years Duluth East roster. They have 12 Elite league players on elite league roster. So pretty much ever player listed. And only 4 are seniors. For crying out loud! Will it ever end...Duluth East dominance. Maybe a year here and there. Oh well. What's a person gonna do.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

kniven wrote:Varsity Roster
# Name Pos Grade
4 Will Fisher D 12
5 Garret Worth F 12
8 Austin Jouppi F 12
11 Nick Lanigan F 12
15 Ricky Lyle F 11
20 Hunter Paine D 11
21 Carson Cochran D 11
22 Ryder Donovan F 11
23 Ian Mageau F 12
24 Jack FitzGerald F 11
25 Luke LaMaster D 12
28 Logan Anderson F 10
30 Lukan Hanson G 11
37 Brendan Baker F 11

Here is the listed players on this years Duluth East roster. They have 12 Elite league players on elite league roster. So pretty much ever player listed. And only 4 are seniors. For crying out loud! Will it ever end...Duluth East dominance. Maybe a year here and there. Oh well. What's a person gonna do.
Duluth East is pulling the best players from the entire city of Duluth and beyond so the answer to your question is: No, it will never end.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Duluth East is pulling the best players from the entire city of Duluth and beyond so the answer to your question is: No, it will never end.[/quote]

Actually, I am OK with it. =)
218 needs a big AA school with numbers to be able to compete regularly with the metro hockey juggernauts.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:Varsity Roster
# Name Pos Grade
4 Will Fisher D 12
5 Garret Worth F 12
8 Austin Jouppi F 12
11 Nick Lanigan F 12
15 Ricky Lyle F 11
20 Hunter Paine D 11
21 Carson Cochran D 11
22 Ryder Donovan F 11
23 Ian Mageau F 12
24 Jack FitzGerald F 11
25 Luke LaMaster D 12
28 Logan Anderson F 10
30 Lukan Hanson G 11
37 Brendan Baker F 11

It is pretty amazing what they've been able to do when you think about it. The numbers aren't what they used to be, (Only 3 PeeWee teams last year) but there they are at the top of 7AA every year. They've set the bar high and every kid wants to reach it. Randolph is more involved in the Youth program than any coach I've seen and it makes a huge difference. It's the mindset they have of wanting to compete against and beat the best. There just aren't any programs like it outside of a couple in the Metro. Don't see them slowing down any time soon.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

pekyman wrote:Duluth East is pulling the best players from the entire city of Duluth and beyond so the answer to your question is: No, it will never end.
Isn't this the criticism so often leveled at Hermantown, which based on comments here has had good success "pulling the best players" from outside its borders?

Note: Personally I have no problem with either as long as they stay within MSHSL's rules.
gitter

Post by gitter »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
pekyman wrote:Duluth East is pulling the best players from the entire city of Duluth and beyond so the answer to your question is: No, it will never end.
Isn't this the criticism so often leveled at Hermantown, which based on comments here has had good success "pulling the best players" from outside its borders?

Note: Personally I have no problem with either as long as they stay within MSHSL's rules.
I think the criticism with that is - if you're doing it, you should at least be playing AA.

Not to get that debate all enraged again...
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

After watching North/Hounds this weekend, not only Hounds first in section, but first/tied for first in state? O/D/GT all super, and great size , and as usual a very physical bunch of kids.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:After watching North/Hounds this weekend, not only Hounds first in section, but first/tied for first in state? O/D/GT all super, and great size , and as usual a very physical bunch of kids.
Duluth East will be painfully good this year. #sigh
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

The Elks have Jack and a few other tricks boys. Let's not crown East just yet..
norcon

Post by norcon »

greenwayraider wrote:As good as Blake is, I don't think that moves Rapids past Elk River and Cloquet. It does make them a very dangerous team to have to play come Sections. One of the biggest challenges is having a new head coach again. Klatt did a terrific job of getting things turned around in time for the Sectionals. Marinucci may or may not be able to match Klatt's coaching.
Personally, I think a lot of you experts have given Klatt way too much credit for what transpired once the playoffs started last year. They were arguably one of the three best teams in the state at Christmas time and shortly thereafter he started screwing around with the line combinations. They struggled big time until Miller, Hain and McLaughlin were reunited. It wasn't rocket science. Even Coach Randolph commented after the tournament that this line may have been the best to play in state tournament history. Why would you mess with that? From what I've heard, Klatt hasn't returned to school at the U, as he stated as his reason for resigning the second time around. Pretty wishy washy to me. :roll:
kniven

Post by kniven »

wolfman wrote:The Elks have Jack and a few other tricks boys. Let's not crown East just yet..
Agreed. Heavy favorites Duluth East will be though. They will still have to get through ER, GR, ANDOVER, CLQ and MARSHALL. 7AA is a gauntlet for sure....
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

wolfman wrote:The Elks have Jack and a few other tricks boys. Let's not crown East just yet..
I don't think anyone is crowning them, just saying they are the favorite. Pretty tough to dispute that right now. They are loaded for Bear this year and we know Randolph will have them ready come playoff time. Good case for Preseason #1 in my opinion.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Jeffy95 wrote:
I don't think anyone is crowning them, just saying they are the favorite. Pretty tough to dispute that right now. They are loaded for Bear this year and we know Randolph will have them ready come playoff time. Good case for Preseason #1 in my opinion.
With all that talent they are number 1 preseason, no question about it. Force in 2018
kniven

Post by kniven »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
With all that talent they are number 1 preseason, no question about it. Force in 2018
This has got to be the most talented team Duluth East hockey has had in 20 years. I mean 12 Elite league players? Wow....