4AA 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Sparlimb wrote:
inthetwine wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:There is no benefit to being 2 as opposed to 3. Given that WBL isn't that overpowering, there isn't much difference between 3 & 4 either. Beat them in the semis, beat them in the final, there's not much difference. Five through eight is really irrelevant, unless you draw WBL. They have proven vulnerable in the first round.

While this may well be the most open or balanced section, it's not very interesting. To be interesting requires interesting teams, and WBL barely qualifies.

If Hill isn't in the final, no way I'll go. For one, none of these is anything to write home about. And given that the game is at Aldrich, it's only worth the hassle if A) your team is in it or B) it's features two quality teams. That's the draw back of having this game at Aldrich, it's a big barrier to the more neutral fans.
Other than there is no benefit to 2 or 3, the rest of this post makes no sense at all.
Makes sense to me. I'll be at Mariucci watching those two section finals because there are teams that can do something at state. 4AA is looking like 2 and out again. Hill is terrible, so WBL better take advantage and win it this year. They don't get that many chances anymore.
Typical Pioneer fans, the only get on the bus when the team is doing good.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Sorry fellas, I'm not a homer. I give my honest assessment of both Hill and the section. Using Karl's ratings, it's just not a great year for Section 4. White Bear at #7 and Hill and Stillwater not even in the top 15 and both flirting with .500, Tartan not even mentioned in the top 25? That is not a compelling story line. But if you want to make like it is go ahead. That will be like wetting your pants outside tonight: it will give you a warm feeling, but only for a little while.

But hey, on reflection, inthewine is right. There is a huge difference between beating White Bear in the semis as opposed to the finals. And seeds 5-8 are very relevant, they often go deep into the section tournament and have won the section several times. White Bear is a very interesting team, a potent threat to playing be at 7PM on March 10, as they often have in the past. And with the section final being played at the very spacious Aldrich Arena, it will be a simple matter to walk up to the box office a few minutes before face off, waltz and find a great seat.

Yup, that Tartan-White Bear final will be must see TV for sure. And there will be no finals at Mariucci that night so Sparlimb will be able to go too!
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

Remind me again, what is the WBL state tournament, round 1 record?
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Bayside Tigers wrote:Remind me again, what is the WBL state tournament, round 1 record?
Now, now! You must be just another bitter Pioneers fan. Besides, the Bears don't always make it out of the first round of the section tournament. A Stillwater- Tartan final would be a lot of fun.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

The Bears state quarterfinal history is quite impressive. I wonder how many overtimes they have played in the quarterfinals without scoring. In their 20 somethingth quarterfinal (2011) they played 2 OTs without scoring. Does anyone know how many of their games went to OT?
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

They had an overtime game with Moorhead in 2001. I believe it was just one overtime.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

I'm hoping for an Irondale v NSP final. Not sure who'd I cheer for.
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

No, I’m serious, what is it 0-27? I like to cheer for the streaks. I don’t know what’s better, WBL round 1 or Moorhead in championship games. Only 0-8, but perhaps they count for more with the championship on the line. 2018 would be great if we could add to both these streaks this year.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

HM is playing better of late, could be a tough out.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:There is no benefit to being 2 as opposed to 3. Given that WBL isn't that overpowering, there isn't much difference between 3 & 4 either. Beat them in the semis, beat them in the final, there's not much difference. Five through eight is really irrelevant, unless you draw WBL. They have proven vulnerable in the first round.

While this may well be the most open or balanced section, it's not very interesting. To be interesting requires interesting teams, and WBL barely qualifies.

If Hill isn't in the final, no way I'll go. For one, none of these is anything to write home about. And given that the game is at Aldrich, it's only worth the hassle if A) your team is in it or B) it's features two quality teams. That's the draw back of having this game at Aldrich, it's a big barrier to the more neutral fans.
its somewhat peaceful at Aldrich section final night past couple years, very much unlike Mariachi which is a get in the arena buy a ticket crowd disaster.

they pre sell tickets so buy them 2 days early, limits sales, its a nice full crowd, early arrival so no last minute surge, but no significant lines to get in and the fire marshall is happy. parking lot not perfect but not as horrid as leaving Mariucci Arena.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

We will know tomorrow, but I think MInnscores has it right.