Rising and declining programs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Re: Rising and declining programs

Post by kniven »

Stang5280 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
kniven wrote:It's sad to say, but I think 218 hockey has been declining for years. With the exception of Duluth East and Hermantown. When East, Hermantown, and Rapids usually fill 15-18 slots a year average in the Elite league. Heck, Duluth East has 12 this year. Cloquet supposedly has tons of talent and on the up and up the next couple years.... has 2 players on the Elite league rosters. Hermantown and Rapids are down this year....they are 2nd and 3rd with the most high school players on Elite league rosters.
I respectfully disagree with you Kniven. Every program will have it ebbs and flows but it's hard to say that 7AA is in decline when the 4 seed (and I believe they deserved to be the 4 seed) won the state tournament last year. That was after a tight quarter final game and an absolute miracle finish in the semis and another - anyone could win this game- final. That was after East survived the CEC game.

If the 7A teams didn't have to contend with Hermantown they would be competitive at state also. IMHO
I think you’re both correct in some respects. Where 218 hockey seems to have taken a hit over the past few decades is the depth of quality programs. Some of the traditionally strong programs such as International Falls, Eveleth, and even Warroad have fallen on hard times and are essentially irrelevant (not to mention the weaker teams that are barely hanging on). On the other hand, there has been a consolidation of talent into the top-flight programs like East, Hermantown, Rapids, and Moorhead. Whether these two phenomena are related is up for debate, but it certainly does seem too convenient when stud players appear on your doorstep from places like Ely or Fergus Falls.

One notable exception to this trend is Greenway, which managed to claw its way from the deathbed back to 7A prominence (albeit permanently blocked by Hermantown). From what I understand this renaissance was fueled mainly through a grassroots push to increase youth participation. So this feat can be accomplished, but it seems difficult to pull off.

Well stated. And yes....consolidation of talent is absolutely correct. Duluth East, Moorhead, Grand Rapids, and Hermantown. I'm ok though. For me and my purple warriors, it's about the journey not the end result...for me anyway. These 4 teams are the only teams north, generally speaking, that have a shot winning an AA state title. Single A could and would be so exciting up north. But unfortunately, want to sit at the cool table and be popular by association only. Sitting at the other lunch table might not be as cool, but your going to be a player at that table and you will make a difference with those kids versus the other cool table and just sitting there hoping you can be as cool as them some day. It's sad actually. Spending day after day after day thinking of what you could be instead of who you are.
zooomx

Re: Rising and declining programs

Post by zooomx »

kniven wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote: I respectfully disagree with you Kniven. Every program will have it ebbs and flows but it's hard to say that 7AA is in decline when the 4 seed (and I believe they deserved to be the 4 seed) won the state tournament last year. That was after a tight quarter final game and an absolute miracle finish in the semis and another - anyone could win this game- final. That was after East survived the CEC game.

If the 7A teams didn't have to contend with Hermantown they would be competitive at state also. IMHO
I think you’re both correct in some respects. Where 218 hockey seems to have taken a hit over the past few decades is the depth of quality programs. Some of the traditionally strong programs such as International Falls, Eveleth, and even Warroad have fallen on hard times and are essentially irrelevant (not to mention the weaker teams that are barely hanging on). On the other hand, there has been a consolidation of talent into the top-flight programs like East, Hermantown, Rapids, and Moorhead. Whether these two phenomena are related is up for debate, but it certainly does seem too convenient when stud players appear on your doorstep from places like Ely or Fergus Falls.

One notable exception to this trend is Greenway, which managed to claw its way from the deathbed back to 7A prominence (albeit permanently blocked by Hermantown). From what I understand this renaissance was fueled mainly through a grassroots push to increase youth participation. So this feat can be accomplished, but it seems difficult to pull off.

Well stated. And yes....consolidation of talent is absolutely correct. Duluth East, Moorhead, Grand Rapids, and Hermantown. I'm ok though. For me and my purple warriors, it's about the journey not the end result...for me anyway. These 4 teams are the only teams north, generally speaking, that have a shot winning an AA state title. Single A could and would be so exciting up north. But unfortunately, want to sit at the cool table and be popular by association only. Sitting at the other lunch table might not be as cool, but your going to be a player at that table and you will make a difference with those kids versus the other cool table and just sitting there hoping you can be as cool as them some day. It's sad actually. Spending day after day after day thinking of what you could be instead of who you are.
I don't know if you can really say 218 is "down" versus maybe the rest of the state is "up". Most northern schools are at a huge disadvantage due to sheer numbers. It is going to take a really special group of players to emerge from a youth program that only has one or two teams at both Bantams and Pee Wees and do damage state wide. Most of the AA high schools in the metro are fed by youth programs that have 5-10 teams at each level. Back when 218 hockey was more relevant, there were far fewer players state wide. There are a lot of solid programs in 218 and schools just outside of 218. Yes, player movement is an issue. But overall, I think north hockey is doing fine and probably overachieving when you look at size of the feeder programs.