Seniors playing JV Hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warmskin

Seniors playing JV Hockey

Post by warmskin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Is it a MSHL rule or is it the discretion of each coach whether seniors can play on JV? I know most schools do not have seniors on JV but I can't find anything about it in MSHL rules.

kniven

Re: Seniors playing JV Hockey

Post by kniven » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:33 pm

warmskin wrote:Is it a MSHL rule or is it the discretion of each coach whether seniors can play on JV? I know most schools do not have seniors on JV but I can't find anything about it in MSHL rules.
I was curious about that also. Cloquet played seniors a ton on jv last year. Which led to seniors quiting during the season. Seniors would rather get cut then play jv. Coaches need to cut seniors if jv hockey is an option for them their senior year.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:28 pm

Greenway had one senior on the jv last year. For a small program they need every player that still wants to play hockey. The choice was the kid's. He hadn't gone out for hockey last year, but missed it so he came back to play jv. Good result for all.

karl(east)

Re: Seniors playing JV Hockey

Post by karl(east) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 pm

There's certainly no rule against it. Copying a post of mine from a recent thread:
karl(east) wrote:As for seniors, yes, they can play JV, but a number of coaches shy away from keeping them...they want those JV spots for kids who could plausibly contribute at varsity in a year or two, and there's some risk of weird dynamics if a senior has stuck with the program for a while but still isn't getting varsity ice time. (Sometimes it's easier to just cut than deal with a locker room issue.) A number of other coaches, even those who have big numbers, would rather have a 4th line of underclassmen getting more playing time on JV than sitting around on the bench at the varsity level and only skating a couple of shifts. When East has used a 4th line with regularity, it's often been made up of reliable, hardworking seniors who have earned their dues and have nothing to gain from playing lots of JV.
Follow-up comments noted that it's a bit more common for players like backup goalies to play JV as seniors, that some teams use JV for rehab assignments for varsity players, and that in many cases, playing Junior Gold may be preferable for a senior who isn't going to be getting much in the way of varsity ice time.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 pm

Every community is different.......

We are at a point where JV hockey is not a given, at least in the Big Nine Conference (I believe Austin, Century, East, Faribault, and Winona have all been unable to field a JV team recently) I don't think that the Big Nine is unusual in that regard. Also given tightening athletic budgets, cutting 2 seniors at $300 a player from a 14 kid squad makes no sense.

Daulton21

Post by Daulton21 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:57 pm

I believe some of it is driven by the rules of the conference. The Suburban East Conference, from my understanding, does not allow, Sr's; unless approved (example the scenario of a limited goalie situation).

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Daulton21 wrote:I believe some of it is driven by the rules of the conference. The Suburban East Conference, from my understanding, does not allow, Sr's; unless approved (example the scenario of a limited goalie situation).
I'm getting old, so the memory isn't what it once was, but I recall WBL having a transfer a long while ago that wasn't able to play varsity until January 1, so he played JV until allowed on varsity.