Minnesota Hockey redistricting?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Minnesota Hockey redistricting?

Post by elliott70 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 am

If you could move teams in and out of your district, or any district, what would you do?

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:15 am

Eliminate districts......or at least determine districts later, maybe Jan 1.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:09 am

goldy313 wrote:Eliminate districts......or at least determine districts later, maybe Jan 1.
Assuming you mean district play-offs.

Administering, game scheduling, representation at MH level somewhat requires districts.

ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Does it really matter the state and the districts do what they want anyway just like MSHSL.
They tell certain teams you have to be AA or A all by school size don’t matter how many kids come out. I live in a area that yes by the school size they should have a A and AA team at peewees and bantams but with the drop in numbers they should be playin a A schedule but nope MN and this district comes right in and say nope you can’t have a A team AA only.
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 am

ndirishfighting wrote:Does it really matter the state and the districts do what they want anyway just like MSHSL.
They tell certain teams you have to be AA or A all by school size don’t matter how many kids come out. I live in a area that yes by the school size they should have a A and AA team at peewees and bantams but with the drop in numbers they should be playin a A schedule but nope MN and this district comes right in and say nope you can’t have a A team AA only.
While the District Director does have the power to make the final determination as to what level a team plays, a conversation with him/her may go along way in that determination. However; this is not a redistricting issue.

AA - A: If your association wants to change its designation they can complete the request form and submit it to the committee for review. If that has not been done than the local association needs to re-think their approach. If done, and denied then a grievance can be filed and it can be reviewed again.

If you want you can PM me or email me or call me and we can discuss it more.

email
elliottm@paulbunyan.net
cell
218 766 4433

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 am

elliott70 wrote:AA - A: If your association wants to change its designation they can complete the request form and submit it to the committee for review. If that has not been done than the local association needs to re-think their approach. If done, and denied then a grievance can be filed and it can be reviewed again.
I assume you are talking about changing designation after team declarations have been made and teams have been formed and rostered with USA Hockey. Before that point, an association can basically declare whatever they want as long as the District Director approves it.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:11 am

blueline_6 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:AA - A: If your association wants to change its designation they can complete the request form and submit it to the committee for review. If that has not been done than the local association needs to re-think their approach. If done, and denied then a grievance can be filed and it can be reviewed again.
I assume you are talking about changing designation after team declarations have been made and teams have been formed and rostered with USA Hockey. Before that point, an association can basically declare whatever they want as long as the District Director approves it.
MH assigns teams based on their high school in regard to AA - A (and previous year designation).
Once this is done (sometime in August if memory serves me) an association can petition to play up to AA or to play down to A.

As far as other designation, yes, the local declares what level their team is and that is that - in D16 we discuss it prior to season and if everyone is on board the D9strict Director approves it (sometimes with stipulations).

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am

elliott70 wrote:
blueline_6 wrote:
MH assigns teams based on their high school in regard to AA - A (and previous year designation).
Once this is done (sometime in August if memory serves me) an association can petition to play up to AA or to play down to A.

As far as other designation, yes, the local declares what level their team is and that is that - in D16 we discuss it prior to season and if everyone is on board the D9strict Director approves it (sometimes with stipulations).
So MH assigns teams AA or A at the Bantam/Peewee level based on high school? I never knew that. I wish MH would establish some guidelines for overall team declaration. e.g. if you have X number of kids at PW, then here is the guideline for your team declarations at PW. A lot of associaitons struggle every year with deciding to declare AA and A, or AA and then B1 as the next team. If everyone operated under same guidelines it would eliminate some guesswork.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:27 am

blueline_6 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
blueline_6 wrote:

So MH assigns teams AA or A at the Bantam/Peewee level based on high school? I never knew that. I wish MH would establish some guidelines for overall team declaration. e.g. if you have X number of kids at PW, then here is the guideline for your team declarations at PW. A lot of associaitons struggle every year with deciding to declare AA and A, or AA and then B1 as the next team. If everyone operated under same guidelines it would eliminate some guesswork.
Good point.
I brought this up about ten years ago, but it was not acted on.
I will bring it up again.

dlow

Post by dlow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:37 am

To answer the original question in this thread:

Forest Lake from to D10
JCNSP to D2
Woodbury to D2
Becker/Big Lake to D5
Burnsville to D8
Northfield maybe to D8

And, yes a pipe dream, but build dead associations back up and recreate D1.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 am

dlow wrote:To answer the original question in this thread:

Forest Lake from to D10
JCNSP to D2
Woodbury to D2
Becker/Big Lake to D5
Burnsville to D8
Northfield maybe to D8

Where would you suggest Becker/Big Lake use as their home rink if they were in D5? Currently they use Princeton as their home rink. Does Monticello have enough unused ice time that they could support another association? My guess is they don't. Buffalo has two sheets but do they have unused ice time to support another association?

And I'd rather see Chisago Lakes go to D2 than Forest Lake to D10. Don't need to spread D10 out more than it is. D10 seems like it should be more of a "North Metro" district and have a geographical size closer to 2, 3, 6 & 8.
Pine City and More in D10 is like if you had Owatonna in D8 or Mankato in D6.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:15 pm

blueline_6 wrote:

Forest Lake from to D10
JCNSP to D2
Woodbury to D2
Becker/Big Lake to D5
Burnsville to D8
Northfield maybe to D8

Where would you suggest Becker/Big Lake use as their home rink if they were in D5? Currently they use Princeton as their home rink. Does Monticello have enough unused ice time that they could support another association? My guess is they don't. Buffalo has two sheets but do they have unused ice time to support another association?

And I'd rather see Chisago Lakes go to D2 than Forest Lake to D10. Don't need to spread D10 out more than it is. D10 seems like it should be more of a "North Metro" district and have a geographical size closer to 2, 3, 6 & 8.
Pine City and More in D10 is like if you had Owatonna in D8 or Mankato in D6.
Anytime I see a geographical discussion I laugh, since we are in District 15. Look at that district, then come back and tell us your drive is too far. :shock:

That being said, there are times that I wouldn't mind seeing Alexandria in District 5. Still a lot of driving, but at least it would be mostly interstate AND quite a few more teams to play on the girls side.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:46 am

zooomx wrote:
blueline_6 wrote:

Forest Lake from to D10
JCNSP to D2
Woodbury to D2
Becker/Big Lake to D5
Burnsville to D8
Northfield maybe to D8

Pine City and Mora in D10 is like if you had Owatonna in D8 or Mankato in D6.
Anytime I see a geographical discussion I laugh, since we are in District 15. Look at that district, then come back and tell us your drive is too far. :shock:

That being said, there are times that I wouldn't mind seeing Alexandria in District 5. Still a lot of driving, but at least it would be mostly interstate AND quite a few more teams to play on the girls side.
Yes the people who live in 4, 9, 11, 12, 15 & 16 all have to deal with long drives. But I don't know how you fix that unless you want to have a bunch of districts with 5-6 associations. It's a population density issue.

My point was more that I don't see why MN Hockey would want to add more associations to a district that is already one of the biggest in terms of member associations.

oldgoalie85

Post by oldgoalie85 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Forest Lake belomgs in D10, next to Blaine,Cenn,NBranch,east bethel,and chisago. New Richmond, Hudsen,Highlad,Oakdale no fun for 5pm game with traffic.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:48 am

oldgoalie85 wrote:Forest Lake belomgs in D10, next to Blaine,Cenn,NBranch,east bethel,and chisago. New Richmond, Hudsen,Highlad,Oakdale no fun for 5pm game with traffic.
So driving to Princeton, Mora and Elk River at 5pm will be easier?

Also, I didn't realize D2 included Wisconsin associations. They are not listed as D2 members on the MN Hockey website.

Hockey 4 Ever

D4 & D5

Post by Hockey 4 Ever » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 am

A friend of mine has a daughter in D5 and he stated D4 & D5 need to work together. Willmar, Hutchinson and Litchfield would be good candidates for D4 because of location. STMA needs to get out of D5 especially on the girls side of the program. The boys program is declining as you don't see them in the rankings or news anymore. Maybe D5 is good for the boys, but not for the girls program. He stated the girls A teams have to play in D10 and only STMA and Buffalo have an A team at the U10 level. Shame on St. Cloud for not declaring an A team and D5 for allowing it.

oldgoalie85

Post by oldgoalie85 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:24 pm

yes going north at 5 is better than going south, {from FL]