3A 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

better late

3A 2017-2018

Post by better late »

Goldy apparently still on sabbatical so let’s get the party started: prohibitive favorite is Luverne. Lost 1 defender, 2 forwards and the goalie. Everyone else back with Tofteland ready and able to take the net. Some good reserves and some real good Bantams moving up. Who will be the challengers?
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

1 Luverne
2 Marshall
3 Litchfield
4 Hutchinson
5 New Ulm
6 Windom
7 Willmar
8 Redwood Valley
9 Fairmont
10 Morris Benson
11 Worthington
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Luverne 3 Park Rapids 3
Luverne 5 Sauk Rapids 0
Luverne 6 Monticello 0
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Luverne 6 Hutchinson 2
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

Tuesday Scores from 3A

Luverne-16
Fairmont-0

Mankato East-4
Hutch-2

Holy Family-9
Litch-0

Redwood-6
Windom-1

New Ulm-1
Lourdes-2

Tough game for Hutch right out of the gates. I'm a little surprised by the Redwood vs. Windom score. With the loss of Stremcha and Sommers I thought this might be a bit closer. Did I miss any games?
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

CherryPicker99 wrote:Tuesday Scores from 3A

Luverne-16
Fairmont-0

Mankato East-4
Hutch-2

Holy Family-9
Litch-0

Redwood-6
Windom-1

New Ulm-1
Lourdes-2

Tough game for Hutch right out of the gates. I'm a little surprised by the Redwood vs. Windom score. With the loss of Stremcha and Sommers I thought this might be a bit closer. Did I miss any games?
Thought the same thing about Windom, they lost two close games to Waconia and Litchfield then get thumped by RV.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

Windom's goalie may be able to keep them in some games but scoring is going to come at a premium for them.
I think they are about the eight-best team in the section.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

The new coach for Redwood, Blair Wassengeso, what's his story? Has he been involved with the Redwood program for awhile or new to town?
Teak

Post by Teak »

Marshall 5-0 Worthington, in Marshall at the beautiful Red Baron Arena.

SOG 56-8

Good to see Worthington with more skaters than they have had in a few years past. Their frosh goalie had 51 saves.
better late

Post by better late »

Luverne 5 Minnesota River 1, SOG 48-22
TrojanHockeyFan

Post by TrojanHockeyFan »

First full Hockey roster for Worthington in a number of years but team is overall very inexperienced and has three kids back from serious injuries last year. Freshman goalie played a solid game tonight but Marshall had the Trojans bottled up in their own end too much of the game. First game of the season at a tough place to play - I am biased but I think this group will surprise some teams this season who have no reason to take Worthington seriously based on recent history. Minnesota River tomorrow who gave Luverne a decent game tonight but lost 5-1.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

better late wrote:Luverne 5 Minnesota River 1, SOG 48-22
Kasyn Kruse had 4 in this one, he is electric every time he touches the puck.
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

Good start for the club. When you leave, have it better than when you arrived.
Teak

Post by Teak »

formersection3Afan wrote:
Good start for the club. When you leave, have it better than when you arrived.
Are you talking about Minnesota River?

I'm just glad they changed their name from LSPHTCUC or was it LSHSPCTCU, or LPCTCUSPH? The Cleveland, LeSueur-Henderson, Tri-City United, St. Peter coop sure needed an easier name to remember. :lol:
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Section Championship rematch tomorrow night in Luverne. The Cards have not been challenged two games in, anyone seen Marshall play and can they keep this one close?
Teak

Post by Teak »

Yuge wrote:Section Championship rematch tomorrow night in Luverne. The Cards have not been challenged two games in, anyone seen Marshall play and can they keep this one close?
I have seen every Marshall game this season (3) and to answer your question: No, this will be business as usual for Luverne 5-0, 6-0, 7-0, take your pick. Marshall has no one to match up with Kasyn Kruse.

In football, wrestling, volleyball, basketball, baseball country, Luverne focuses upon ice hockey and it shows on the ice.

What I like about this year's Marshall team is that they have only a few seniors, and their best players are junior or younger. They will be better in the next two years, but still not at Luverne's level. The sophomore defenseman, Kaleb Welvaert, is fun to watch. He is a very good skater.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Teak wrote:
Yuge wrote:Section Championship rematch tomorrow night in Luverne. The Cards have not been challenged two games in, anyone seen Marshall play and can they keep this one close?
I have seen every Marshall game this season (3) and to answer your question: No, this will be business as usual for Luverne 5-0, 6-0, 7-0, take your pick. Marshall has no one to match up with Kasyn Kruse.

In football, wrestling, volleyball, basketball, baseball country, Luverne focuses upon ice hockey and it shows on the ice.

What I like about this year's Marshall team is that they have only a few seniors, and their best players are junior or younger. They will be better in the next two years, but still not at Luverne's level. The sophomore defenseman, Kaleb Welvaert, is fun to watch. He is a very good skater.
Luverne 3 Marshall 1

Marshall will be kicking themselves all the way home tonight, Luverne was doing everything possible to lose a game but hung on. Marshall's Plante and Welvaert are nice looking players and the Goalie also played well. The Cards were off all night, they gave up basically a ENG when their goalie got caught off guard behind the net. Kruse had a great one timer set up from Serie for the Cards 1st goal followed by a PP goal from Dman Roberts. Kruse scored a highlight reel goal late in the 3rd to put it out of reach.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Yuge wrote:Luverne 3 Park Rapids 3
Luverne 5 Sauk Rapids 0
Luverne 6 Monticello 0
6-0 over Monticello in a scrimmage?
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Luverne 5 Sauk Rapids 0
Luverne 6 Monticello 0
Yea, that was ugly. Hate to make too many assumptions based on a scrimmage given all the variables but that was not close.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Yuge wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Luverne 5 Sauk Rapids 0
Luverne 6 Monticello 0
Yea, that was ugly. Hate to make too many assumptions based on a scrimmage given all the variables but that was not close.
They also lost Ward and Zwack, by far their two best players last year. They beat Chisago Lakes last night in a section final rematch 4-1 and are 4-0 on the season. Big game against Orono tomorrow night.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

GoldyGopher wrote:
Yuge wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: 6-0 over Monticello in a scrimmage?
They also lost Ward and Zwack, by far their two best players last year. They beat Chisago Lakes last night in a section final rematch 4-1 and are 4-0 on the season. Big game against Orono tomorrow night.
Monticello is a average team playing in the worst section in the state.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Yuge wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
Yuge wrote: Yea, that was ugly. Hate to make too many assumptions based on a scrimmage given all the variables but that was not close.
Monticello is a average team playing in the worst section in the state.
Average team is accurate. Worst section in the state is not something you can accurately say 4-5 games into the season. 3A is awful again too. But then again you seem to be an expert so you probably have all the facts that back up your theory.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

To the Parents of SPA/Summit Students... The message the AD and Coaching Staff just sent to YOUR Athletes might not be worth $32k + per year.... JMO.

Christ, you are already allowed unrestricted geographical access to players and allowed to play in a League that IS restricted to geographical access.

So when the going get's tough, get running I guess is the message? :roll:
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

fastncrash wrote:To the Parents of SPA/Summit Students... The message the AD and Coaching Staff just sent to YOUR Athletes might not be worth $32k + per year.... JMO.

Christ, you are already allowed unrestricted geographical access to players and allowed to play in a League that IS restricted to geographical access.

not sure what your talking about? please explain
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Chalk_Talk wrote:
fastncrash wrote:To the Parents of SPA/Summit Students... The message the AD and Coaching Staff just sent to YOUR Athletes might not be worth $32k + per year.... JMO.

not sure what your talking about? please explain
Apparently SPA is not making the trip on Saturday to play Luverne.