Preseason section finalists

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Post by kniven »

7AA general consensus seems to be Duluth East and Elk River. Makes sense.
Browniemagoo

Post by Browniemagoo »

kniven wrote:7AA general consensus seems to be Duluth East and Elk River. Makes sense.
General consensus is that 7AA title will belong to one heck of a choir.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Browniemagoo wrote:
kniven wrote:7AA general consensus seems to be Duluth East and Elk River. Makes sense.
General consensus is that 7AA title will belong to one heck of a choir.
Absolutely! 7AA choir concerts are the best!:)
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

As much as I'd like to believe all of the preseason hype about Greenway, it's one thing to look good on paper and another thing to look good on the ice. Greenway has some big challenges to crack the top 10 in A. They do have some very talented forwards that will be led by Ben Troumbly and Dante Lawson but they graduated the entire defensive corpse. The defensemen last year were of good size and could move the puck. They'll have a good one in Miller but beyond that very questionable. Greenway will be very small. The touted bantam team members were all on the small side (other then Miller) and they are still small. Whether or not they can take the physical play at the high school level will have to be proven. Greenway scrimmages Hill-Murray next weekend and then play Rapids on November 28 and Virginia on December 1. Those will be a good indication of how good Greenway is and how much they will need to improve to be a top 10 team.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Greenway is an excellent, true, single A, hockey program. Unfortunately, Greenway plays in the same section as a double AA youth program that plays a AA regular season schedule as well in high school but then magically drops to A for section and state playoffs. - not ridiculing here. just stating a fact. They are a single A school enrollment wise, but a AA hockey program. They just choose to where to play based on their enrollment - not their hockey program.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

greenwayraider wrote:As much as I'd like to believe all of the preseason hype about Greenway, it's one thing to look good on paper and another thing to look good on the ice. Greenway has some big challenges to crack the top 10 in A. They do have some very talented forwards that will be led by Ben Troumbly and Dante Lawson but they graduated the entire defensive corpse. The defensemen last year were of good size and could move the puck. They'll have a good one in Miller but beyond that very questionable. Greenway will be very small. The touted bantam team members were all on the small side (other then Miller) and they are still small. Whether or not they can take the physical play at the high school level will have to be proven. Greenway scrimmages Hill-Murray next weekend and then play Rapids on November 28 and Virginia on December 1. Those will be a good indication of how good Greenway is and how much they will need to improve to be a top 10 team.
7A prediction

1. Sandbagtown
2. Virginia
3. Greenway
4. Eveleth
5. Hibbing
6. I-Falls
7. Denfeld
8. North Shore
9. Proctor
10. Ely

I think Virginia and Greenway will be a couple of great battles this year. Hopefully they will meet in the 7A semis. The Raiders have more top talent, but Virginia is deeper and more experienced. Could just come down to goaltending.

Hibbing lost a ton to graduation and will likely struggle offensively. Eveleth seems to be on the rise and may host a first round playoff game. Not too sure how the rest of the section will be, but Denfeld appears to be hurting.

Hermantown will be "down" so that's why the AD scheduled Wayzata, Lakeville South, EP, and BSM the first four games of the season. :roll:
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

kniven wrote:Greenway is an excellent, true, single A, hockey program. Unfortunately, Greenway plays in the same section as a double AA youth program that plays a AA regular season schedule as well in high school but then magically drops to A for section and state playoffs. - not ridiculing here. just stating a fact. They are a single A school enrollment wise, but a AA hockey program. They just choose to where to play based on their enrollment - not their hockey program.
How many dead horses does this forum have? Yawnnnnnn.....
kniven

Post by kniven »

Sorry zoom. My bad......
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

kniven wrote:Sorry zoom. My bad......
I get it, I really do. I just don't understand why every forum topic turns into a Hermantown argument as soon as 7A is brought up.

Regarding Greenway: They have a shot at being a top 10 team. They are an interesting team to follow from afar, and I can't help but root for them each year.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Any word if Greenway found a “Finn” goalie or if one of the other kids will be able to step up?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

They found a Finn goalie. Small kid, probably 5’6”. SCSU coaching staff found him.