Mr. Hockey Finalists

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheNightman

Mr. Hockey Finalists

Post by TheNightman »

Now that we have an idea of who will be around, who's your top 10?

In no particular order I have:

Blake McLaughlin, Grand Rapids
Sam Walker, Edina
Demetrios Koumontzis, Edina
Carter Randklev, Moorhead
Ben Almquist, Holy Family
Lucas McGregor, Centennial
Brady Ziemer, Holy Family
Colin Schmidt, Wayzata
Tyler Watkins, Hermantown
Jack Olsen, Lakeville South

With Tabor, Marooney, Hartje, and Anderson leaving there aren't a lot of defensemen which is why I threw Olsen in.

Also, seems like there should be a Duluth East player but it's hard to say who the best senior on that team will be.
kniven

Re: Mr. Hockey Finalists

Post by kniven »

TheNightman wrote:Now that we have an idea of who will be around, who's your top 10?

Sam Walker, Edina
Colin Schmidt, Wayzata

With Tabor, Marooney, Hartje, and Anderson leaving there aren't a lot of defensemen which is why I threw Olsen in.

Also, seems like there should be a Duluth East player but it's hard to say who the best senior on that team will be.
Worth (F) and LaMaster (D) are senior studs big time for Duluth East this year. I think Blake will win the award this year. LaMaster a very, very good chance for D of the year, and Holum (G) up in the land of the orange will probably win the best net minder this year.

And kouzomouto is a Junior for Edina right? Only seniors can win mr. hockey right? just checking.....
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

kniven wrote:
TheNightman wrote:Now that we have an idea of who will be around, who's your top 10?

Sam Walker, Edina
Colin Schmidt, Wayzata

Worth (F) and LaMaster (D) are senior studs big time for Duluth East this year. I think Blake will win the award this year. LaMaster a very, very good chance for D of the year, and Holum (G) up in the land of the orange will probably win the best net minder this year.

And kouzomouto is a Junior for Edina right? Only seniors can win mr. hockey right? just checking.....
Koumontzis is a senior, I was actually really close to including LaMaster instead of Olsen.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Sam Walker, Edina
Colin Schmidt, Wayzata

LaMaster and Worth should be on there. Though no fault of his own, Watkins has zero chance. I would replace him and Olsen.
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

In no particular order for PRESEASON pics I have:

Sam Walker, Edina
Cole O'Connell, Moorhead
Garrett Worth, Duluth East

Best Teams (Edina, Moorhead, HF, Duluth E, Herm) in the State should have the Mr. Hockey candidates with exception of Blake (GR) because of what he did in USHL for PRESEASON
kniven

Post by kniven »

HockeyonFire wrote:In no particular order for PRESEASON pics I have:

Sam Walker, Edina
Cole O'Connell, Moorhead

Best Teams (Edina, Moorhead, HF, Duluth E, Herm) in the State should have the Mr. Hockey candidates with exception of Blake (GR) because of what he did in USHL for PRESEASON
How common is it for A team to have a mr. hockey winner on their roster. I think kouzamoko is a lock from what I’ve heard around the state. Kid sounds pretty amazing.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:

Sam Walker, Edina
Cole O'Connell, Moorhead

How common is it for A team to have a mr. hockey winner on their roster. I think kouzamoko is a lock from what I’ve heard around the state. Kid sounds pretty amazing.
Almost impossible. Jonny Pohl did it but was an Elite talent. It's really not fair to put those kids up there with the others that play a high AA schedule all season and especially playoffs.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

kniven wrote:

Sam Walker, Edina
Cole O'Connell, Moorhead

A lock to win? I'm not even sure if he'll be the best player on that team.

I think McLaughlin is the favorite.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote: How common is it for A team to have a mr. hockey winner on their roster. I think kouzamoko is a lock from what I’ve heard around the state. Kid sounds pretty amazing.
Almost impossible. Jonny Pohl did it but was an Elite talent. It's really not fair to put those kids up there with the others that play a high AA schedule all season and especially playoffs.
I generally agree with your sentiment, although there are usually a few Class A players nominated for the award every year (there were four last year). I could definitely see a player from one of the powerhouse teams like Hermantown or East Grand Forks winning at some point. Also, Blake Wheeler from Breck almost certainly would have won Mr. hockey in 2005 had he not left for the USHL, but he was a special talent like Pohl.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

McGlaugh and Walker will be top 2 vote getters , and it is Blake’s to lose

Koumo might lose some votes from Mshsl purists

Twat will be finalist for sure

Love O’Connell but not sure MH will have 2 finalists

Either Molenaar or Loheit are dark horse finalists

I’m not sure who I’d pick as the top two senior D ,
if only 2 made the top 10 finalists .
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Hand it to Blake right now... Leading the USHL in scoring in a before stint and he's coming back to play hs hockey. You'll probably see that kid's smile on every piece of Minnesota Hockey/mshsl advertisement for the next decade... :shock:
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Love me some speculation.

It would be hard to keep Watkins off the top 10 list as top Class A Senior.

Duluth East will have at least 1 player (my vote on November 7 is Worth, then Lamaster).

What makes this year so fun is the top two guys have some obstacles that Tufte and Mittelstadt didn't have. Blake will be playing for an inferior team and is not a lock to even make section final. Sammy plays for Edina, 0 Mr. Hockey from that school is a really odd, but real obstacle.

2 defensemen will emerge...Jack Olsen, Luke LaMaster, Garrett Daly, Tyler Borsch and Brady Ziemer are five that could emerge. Grant Anderson would have been a big name had he stayed.

The best part of the season is finding the guy who earns his way into the top ten with a big year (Bauer Neudecker)....here a five relative unknowns that I think could bloom because their team will succeed...Nate Bordson (Eastview), George Grannis (Duluth Marshall), Hayden Brickner (Centennial), Ian Mageau (East) and Cole O'Connell (Moorhead).
GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome »

Don't dismiss Walker too quickly, even though he's from Edina (ugh!). He's been a consistent high-level performer in every league he has played in since mites, and is very well-known throughout the state and USA Hockey. He's one of those hyper-competitive kids with a love for playing the game that few can match, and it shows in his performance. Would be a great representative for the state of hockey.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

GoBigorGoHome

I don't disagree at all. Sammy is top 1 or 2 and will perform that way this year. I only discount his chances because no Hornet has ever won, despite a few that were deserving that did not.

Recent memory says Dylan Malmquist was the best player in the state and did not win it. I'd argue he was best HS player when he was a junior, too.
Minn_Hockey

Post by Minn_Hockey »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:GoBigorGoHome

I don't disagree at all. Sammy is top 1 or 2 and will perform that way this year. I only discount his chances because no Hornet has ever won, despite a few that were deserving that did not.

Recent memory says Dylan Malmquist was the best player in the state and did not win it. I'd argue he was best HS player when he was a junior, too.
Malmquist had 32 points his junior year, seems tough to claim he was best in the state that year. Better argument that Novak was best in the state that year with 70 points as a junior.

Senior year Malmquist was hurt by having Wait outscore him (on a ppg basis) as a junior on the same team.
kniven

Post by kniven »

KarlEast - how many Greyhounds have won the prize, what year, and their name(s)? Oh who was the coach at East before Randolph arrived? Just curious......
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:KarlEast - how many Greyhounds have won the prize, what year, and their name(s)? Oh who was the coach at East before Randolph arrived? Just curious......
Spehar is the only one, 1996.

Art Amundson was the coach prior to Randolph. He had two sons who played right around that time.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:KarlEast - how many Greyhounds have won the prize, what year, and their name(s)? Oh who was the coach at East before Randolph arrived? Just curious......

Art Amundson was the coach prior to Randolph. He had two sons who played right around that time.
What year did Randolph take over for Art, and how long was Art there? The history of Duluth East hockey. There must be a website.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

What year did Randolph take over for Art, and how long was Art there? The history of Duluth East hockey. There must be a website.
If memory serves me correctly, Art was only there for two years in 86-87 and 87-88. I believe Randolph took over in 88-89.

Karl did a complete History of Duluth East Hockey on his blog awhile back. There should be links somewhere on this forum.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Thanks Jeffy! I can be critical and have my opinion, but I respect always what Duluth East has built over there. I’m looking forward to the 2 games CEC has against East this year......as always :)
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I think McLaughlin will take it. I can see him carrying an average Rapids squad to a respectable, perhaps, overachieving finish. Maybe even sneaking into the section final if they don't have to play Duluth East before then, but Elk River and Cloquet look to have strong teams this season. Walker would probably be my second choice, followed by the Moorhead boys, Randklev and O'Connell, 3a and b.

I don't see Demetrios Koumontzis being a factor because his high school hockey career wasn't done the "Minnesota way".
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
green4

Post by green4 »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:GoBigorGoHome

I am obviously an Edina homer, but I broke down the scoring numbers between Malmquist and Jaremko that year and I thought Malmquist had the better year. Malmquist put up 6 points against Elk River in the holiday tournament, which should have been the deciding factor. Malmquist had like 8 less points while playing much tougher competition. Obviously Wait having a good year gave people doubt, but after Malmquist got hurt at state I think it kills that arguement. Obviously the votes were already cast before Malmquist was hurt, but I think that was when it became clear he was the heart of that team.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: Spehar is the only one, 1996.

If memory serves me correctly, Art was only there for two years in 86-87 and 87-88. I believe Randolph took over in 88-89.

Karl did a complete History of Duluth East Hockey on his blog awhile back. There should be links somewhere on this forum.
Duluth East coaching history:

49-50: Frank Hart
50-51: ?
51-52: William Mancina and Karl Deppe
52-53: Alvin Ness
53-54 to 66-67: Glenn Rolle
67-68 to 83-84: Don Bourdeau
84-85 to 85-86: Bob Hill
86-87 to 87-88: Art Amundson
88-89 to 02-03: Mike Randolph
03-04: Todd Wentworth
04-05 to Present: Mike Randolph, Part 2

The complete sprawling blog series on East hockey history, now somewhat dated, starts here: https://apatientcycle.com/2013/06/07/ho ... roduction/

But, back on topic...I think you could go a number of different ways, depending on what you think Mr. Hockey should be. If you're a literalist when it comes to the very vague direction given to voters, it should go to the top-rated player by the scouts and media people who get a vote. This is how we've gotten kids who were injured for half of their senior seasons justified as being finalists. If it's the player with the best senior season regardless of who's around him, that helps the Sammy Walkers of the world (though McLaughlin would still have a strong claim, IMO). If it's a lifetime achievement award, or there is at least some factor for HS hockey purism, that hurts Koumontzis. If it's an MVP award, it should definitely go to someone like a McLaughlin or a Jaremko a couple years back. No one ever seems to really agree...
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

kniven

Post by kniven »

Good stuff boys! Hard to believe Spehar the only Greyhound to get the award. I was living in Mounds View at the time. That kid was unbelievable that is for sure. Testament for all the great high school hockey players that come out of the STATE OF HOCKEY! =)