Edina Roster

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheNightman

Edina Roster

Post by TheNightman »

# Name Pos Grade
0 Garrett Mackay G 0
1 Ramsey Bell G 10
2 Jake Boltmann D 10
3 Drew Bishop D 11
5 Lucas Flemming D 10
6 Bjorn Swanson W 12
7 Liam Malmquist W 11
8 Grant Morton C 10
9 Peter Colby W 11
10 Sammy Walker C 12
11 Lewis Crosby W 12
12 Cole Cavanagh W 10
14 Evan Shoemaker C 12
17 Ben Brinkman D 11
19 Max Borst W 12
20 Mike Vorlicky D 11
21 Mason Reiners D 11
22 Jett Jungels W 11
23 Demetrios Komountzis C 12

Any surprises? Where is Mason Nevers?
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Are both of their goalies Sophomores?

Edit..... Mackay is a Senior.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Nightman, Nevers is on the roster per Minnesota State High School League site. GB
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Sorry for three posts on this. The MSHS site link is a good source for rosters once they are submitted by coaches/AD's. This is what is used to print off programs for games. Click link's for teams on schedule and you can quickly search rosters. GB
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

For those players that didn’t make the cut there is still a chance to wear the green and white. There is a small Northern Minnesota school that you may want to check out. Just hop on Highway 169 and you’ll be there in 3 1/2 hours.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

greenwayraider wrote:For those players that didn’t make the cut there is still a chance to wear the green and white. There is a small Northern Minnesota school that you may want to check out. Just hop on Highway 169 and you’ll be there in 3 1/2 hours.
Then another 2 hours west and north and you will be in Roseau.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

GoldenBear wrote:Nightman, Nevers is on the roster per Minnesota State High School League site. GB
That's where I pasted from, must have been updated since last night.
Doc Holliday

Re: Edina Roster

Post by Doc Holliday »

TheNightman wrote:Any surprises? Where is Mason Nevers?
Yes, a pleasant surprise: a goalie wearing the # 0. Always been a big fan of 0. :D
MNHockeyFan

Re: Edina Roster

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Doc Holliday wrote:
TheNightman wrote:Any surprises? Where is Mason Nevers?
Yes, a pleasant surprise: a goalie wearing the # 0. Always been a big fan of 0. :D
I don't recall ever seeing that before, but I like it - aka "Mr. Zero".
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Brinkman and Boltmann played HS as freshmen. Is the Williams kid that just committed to the Gophers not ready to this year? Would he have made the team?
CakeScout17

Reply to Bonin2121 re: Williams at Edina

Post by CakeScout17 »

Best as I've seen/heard is that Nick (Nicholas) Williams is loaded w/ potential, multi-sport athlete, smooth skater and steady head on his shoulders for his age as he just turned 15 this past Sept as a 2002 born. However, even for a 9th grader - he's undersized. I believe he's approx 5' 8" / 155 lbs...but we may see him brought up for selected Varsity games a few times this year for some exposure - He should do very well in Bantams then make leap for '18-'19. Williams was former Wiz Wyatt finalist as well.
CakeScout17

Mackays #

Post by CakeScout17 »

'0' would be kinda cool...however I think he's wearing #30. Edina goalies usually don '30' or '1' depending on who the starter is, upperclassmen chooses, etc. Willie Benjamin wore '1' title year of 2012-13.
Mackay may well be the key this year. On paper, Edina loaded and ready to go...Karl calls it though - the few holes you can poke are overall size & grit and the goalie. Was disappointed Mackay turned down Fall Elite league for Team CCM and opted to ride bench, appearing in only 1 live game for the MN Magicians.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Is BB captain again? CoCaptains?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

WM, funny you ask about captains. Last year when they announced sophomore captain at Edina I said to myself: Wayzata has a chance. It drove Copeland out and I know caused issues with other seniors. It showed during the section finals when it came down to crunch time for the Hornets. I won't get into specifics as Brinkman is a good high school hockey player and it wasn't his fault that Giles appointed him captain. Being a captain is earned through many summers of hard work and should only be given to Seniors. Especially at large programs. EP this year, Junior captain. We will see how that plays out. Captains lead; 10th and 11 graders may score more goals then some seniors but that isn't the captains job. GB
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

If you're a true leader you don't need any C on the chest. And if a kid actually quit the team just because he wasn't chosen captain, shame on him and shame on his parents. But I do agree the Edina coach should have never named a 10th grader as captain. That just added fuel to the fire and unless there was a really really good reason was a stupid move on behalf of their coach.

In general, I agree...If you must have captains, it's probably best to reward it to seniors...It's funny how some teams just name C's and some will have one C and a couple A's ... to me it's all just a little to silly and probably creates more drama than needed...Go play the game. When you head over to hoist up the trophy go as a team.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

So , does anyone know who is Hornet captain/co captains?

GB- Schmidt and Ness? Or?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

In my experience the captains have been voted on by the players at the end of the season and named at the year end banquet. A lot of work has to be done by the captains' parents over the course of the year and it gives them time to get things done. Typically the captains' parents get involved in fund raising, scheduling captains practices, acting as go betweens with the youth program, arranging accomodations for out of town trips and if lucky enough State Tournament arrangements. Maybe Edina does it differently.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Ness and Schmidt for Wayzata GB.
CakeScout17

Captaincy

Post by CakeScout17 »

Original question:
Presumably Brinkman and Walker (Sr and Jr)...Brinkman is solid as they come but I agree a So. captain is pushing it. He will achieve enough and receive plenty of accolades in his HS and college career - does he 'need' a 'C' as a sophomore? Probably not. Then again - IS that what drove Copeland to Waterloo. BC did play before and after in Waterloo as a Jr. but there were definite rumblings that a few seniors were not pleased w/ the BB as 'C' decision. However, Scheerer could never be a 'C'...not w/ that poor attitude and pouty play (look at what the Aces did - they cut him and off to the Magicians you go! Hey Bram...CC is watching!)
Im sure for 2017-18 its Walker and Brinkman and if theres a 3rd player involved or that sports the 'A' it would be the same player that ALL of the Edina players look up to and is their 'fave teammate' - Lewis Crosby. Great kid, great attitude, always hustling. We shall see...and that right soon!
Bluewhitefan

Re: Captaincy

Post by Bluewhitefan »

CakeScout17 wrote:Original question:
Presumably Brinkman and Walker (Sr and Jr)...Brinkman is solid as they come but I agree a So. captain is pushing it. He will achieve enough and receive plenty of accolades in his HS and college career - does he 'need' a 'C' as a sophomore? Probably not. Then again - IS that what drove Copeland to Waterloo. BC did play before and after in Waterloo as a Jr. but there were definite rumblings that a few seniors were not pleased w/ the BB as 'C' decision. However, Scheerer could never be a 'C'...not w/ that poor attitude and pouty play (look at what the Aces did - they cut him and off to the Magicians you go! Hey Bram...CC is watching!)
Im sure for 2017-18 its Walker and Brinkman and if theres a 3rd player involved or that sports the 'A' it would be the same player that ALL of the Edina players look up to and is their 'fave teammate' - Lewis Crosby. Great kid, great attitude, always hustling. We shall see...and that right soon!
Crosby is a captain - named at banquet last spring.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:In my experience the captains have been voted on by the players at the end of the season and named at the year end banquet. A lot of work has to be done by the captains' parents over the course of the year and it gives them time to get things done. Typically the captains' parents get involved in fund raising, scheduling captains practices, acting as go betweens with the youth program, arranging accomodations for out of town trips and if lucky enough State Tournament arrangements. Maybe Edina does it differently.
Exactly how Edina does it - Captains named at banquet in the spring.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

yes, players vote on it, but coach names captains. Coach has the final vote and he is the one tabulating them. GB
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

GoldenBear wrote:yes, players vote on it, but coach names captains. Coach has the final vote and he is the one tabulating them. GB
You got that right GB. I remember a captain being announced at the banquet and all the players looked at each other with surprise. You could see them whispering and when I asked my son about it afterwards, he said nobody voted for that player.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Crosby excellent choice!