Grand Rapids at Greenway, 11/28/17

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

4-0 end of two. Shots 27-8. Greenway goalie stopped a penalty shot.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Injuns playing harder in the 3rd. 4-1 now.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

5-1 Greenway. Dagger.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Can't wait to hear Karl's response about the game.

Until then Boom down goes the big dogs!
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Between the first and second they have a shot contest where the participant has to make a shot from the blue, the other blue line and the opposite goal line. A guy did it and the crowd was cheering. He opened up his jacket and showed his Rapids sweatshirt. I’ve never heard cheers change to boos so fast. It was hilarious.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Rapids could have easily won this game if they were faster, handled the puck better, passed better, played with more energy and drive, had better vision and awareness, and a couple other things I can't remember.

I thought Greenway seemed well prepared and a step ahead all evening. They were so good they probably didn't need the green laser pointer on the Rapids goalie and other players about the time the fifth goal went in. It would not have made a difference in the outcome, but I don't think it is supposed to happen.

OK, with this game over, Greenway is now my 7A team I'm hoping will drop H-town. In 7AA, the T-hawks have plenty of ways to improve. Stopping weight training with the 12 ounce curls is a good first step.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

greenwayraider wrote:Between the first and second they have a shot contest where the participant has to make a shot from the blue, the other blue line and the opposite goal line. A guy did it and the crowd was cheering. He opened up his jacket and showed his Rapids sweatshirt. I’ve never heard cheers change to boos so fast. It was hilarious.
Greenway won the game, but Rapids won between the periods!
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Fun trip! There were a handful of empty seats at the far end of the arena where the sightlines are presumably awful, but it was a packed, loud house. I'm not sure what the capacity at Hodgins-Berrardo is, but there had to be a couple of thousand there, most of them in green. I was glad that I arrived when I did (just over an hour before puck drop, midway through the 2nd period of JV) to claim one of the few remaining decent spots along the railing, and parking on the other side of the overpass was a good call for a quick and easy exit.

Greeway is a fun group to watch, and I think they're worthy of a top ten Class A ranking. As a team they're pretty small (excepting the massive Christian Miller), but they've got 2+ lines' worth of shifty forwards who are hard to get off the puck, and they controlled play in the offensive zone for long stretches in this one. Donte Lawson is their leader, Rajala is a force, Troumbly had some moments, and another sophomore, Mitchell Vekich, had a pair of goals. The defense was very active jumping into the play; this worries me some against a team like Hermantown that could burn them in transition, but it's also a very young group given all the players it lost to graduation, and has the potential to tighten up and be pretty good. Hyttinen was solid in goal; he moves well and has a quick glove, though he will need to rein in some of those rebounds.

The return of Rapids' missing players will certainly help their depth. That said, none of the MIA were really the veteran returners I expect to lead the way for this team, and there's a real question of where the points will come from. Koenig had a nice night, DeGiuseppi and Mischke and Heitkamp were reliable as you'd expect, but...I just didn't see the skill they'll need to compete with the better teams in the section. Their best best is probably to hunker down in front of Holum and play tight team defense, which I think they are capable of, given their size and experience from last season. With their tough schedule, they'll either find a way or it will be ugly.

In the end, it was well worth the road trip. No chickens on the ice, but there was a Greenway kid dressed as one in the stands, and the fans were good and rowdy. The guy in the shooting contest popping his GR sweatshirt was probably the highlight of the night for Rapids. And a shoutout to the Greenway guy next to me who realized who I was from Twitter a little while after the game ended :lol:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Immigrant Fan wrote: In 7AA, the T-hawks have plenty of ways to improve. Stopping weight training with the 12 ounce curls is a good first step.
I sure hope that isn't true. I hope there isn't "functional training" going on, all this crap about balancing on a bosu with pink 5 lb. dumbbells and air squats. Sadly this non-sense goes on even at the D1 level and in pro sports where terrible strength and conditioning coaches are just hiding behind the genetics of already very strong athletes. If you want to actually "train" and not do "random exercise", just watch the videos in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRqB30 ... EqXbDABu2R
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Excellent reporting Karl!

Congrats to the Raiders ! Another huge moment in Minnesota high school hockey history
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Back on topic it is cool to see Greenway having success. I hope they can give H-town a run for their money in 7A.
comp1911

Post by comp1911 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote: In 7AA, the T-hawks have plenty of ways to improve. Stopping weight training with the 12 ounce curls is a good first step.
I sure hope that isn't true. I hope there isn't "functional training" going on, all this crap about balancing on a bosu with pink 5 lb. dumbbells and air squats. Sadly this non-sense goes on even at the D1 level and in pro sports where terrible strength and conditioning coaches are just hiding behind the genetics of already very strong athletes. If you want to actually "train" and not do "random exercise", just watch the videos in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRqB30 ... EqXbDABu2R
Either you have awesome sarcasm or you need to read that post again, lol.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

The capacity of Hodgins-Berardo is 2,400. My guess is 2,300 last night. I think the crowd was a little bigger for the Hibbing game. Btw, Greenway was missing senior Axsel Jensen due to an injury. He is expected back in three weeks. Strong kid who will most likely be switched to defense. He will provide some size and speed.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

comp1911 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
My thoughts exactly haha.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

comp1911 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Some sarcasm, maybe slightly triggered. Wouldn't be the first time.
comp1911

Post by comp1911 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
comp1911 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: I sure hope that isn't true. I hope there isn't "functional training" going on, all this crap about balancing on a bosu with pink 5 lb. dumbbells and air squats. Sadly this non-sense goes on even at the D1 level and in pro sports where terrible strength and conditioning coaches are just hiding behind the genetics of already very strong athletes. If you want to actually "train" and not do "random exercise", just watch the videos in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRqB30 ... EqXbDABu2R
What if I drink beer while in the squat rack?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

comp1911 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
comp1911 wrote: Either you have awesome sarcasm or you need to read that post again, lol.
As long as it isn't some macrobrew I think it is a great idea, especially if working out at the gym at GRHS... :lol:
comp1911

Post by comp1911 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
comp1911 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Some sarcasm, maybe slightly triggered. Wouldn't be the first time.
As long as it isn't some macrobrew I think it is a great idea, especially if working out at the gym at GRHS... :lol:
That will have to do since the racks are gone from the IRA.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

north_bear wrote:
comp1911 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Immigrant Fan you should get fired from your AD position at Rapids.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

comp1911 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
comp1911 wrote: What if I drink beer while in the squat rack?
Is this true or an attempt to trigger? At any rate, I did hear on KOZY a couple weeks ago that the IRA Civic Center is looking to renovate and expand. Sounds like there are some really cool ideas out there like putting a walkway between the two rinks where you could go from each side of the walkway to see each rink.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
comp1911 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: As long as it isn't some macrobrew I think it is a great idea, especially if working out at the gym at GRHS... :lol:
Is this true or an attempt to trigger? At any rate, I did hear on KOZY a couple weeks ago that the IRA Civic Center is looking to renovate and expand. Sounds like there are some really cool ideas out there like putting a walkway between the two rinks where you could go from each side of the walkway to see each rink.
Had a kid who got picked up by a team that was headed to Chicago for a tourney a few years ago and they played at the Young America Center. The YAC has that sort of a set up. You can stand on top of the bleachers and walk back and forth and watch 2 games on 2 different rinks. The main issue was noise. The whistles on rink 1 sounded like they were on rink 2 and several times kids from out of town who were not familiar with that stopped play because they thought the whistle had blown. I would assume that there is a way to fix that but it did make for some interesting events until they players got used to it.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Wet Paint wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
comp1911 wrote: That will have to do since the racks are gone from the IRA.
Had a kid who got picked up by a team that was headed to Chicago for a tourney a few years ago and they played at the Young America Center. The YAC has that sort of a set up. You can stand on top of the bleachers and walk back and forth and watch 2 games on 2 different rinks. The main issue was noise. The whistles on rink 1 sounded like they were on rink 2 and several times kids from out of town who were not familiar with that stopped play because they thought the whistle had blown. I would assume that there is a way to fix that but it did make for some interesting events until they players got used to it.
Like the MAC in St Cloud without the noise problem.