Section 1A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jim9000

Section 1A

Post by Jim9000 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Any surprises?

Who looks to be the top dog this year?

Could there be more parity from top to bottom this year?

Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:54 pm

I have watched this section for along time. This might be the weakest this section has ever been. With Northfield and Red Wing gone it really hurts the depth.

In my opinion it is between 4 schools. (could be the year of the surprise)
Rochester Lourdes-very average, just beat New Ulm in ot and lost to Tartan 8-3!! season is still young
Albert Lea- always tough come the end of the year. See if that changes with new coach. 10 seniors on the roster.
Mankato East- Mix of young and old talent, solid goal tending, can they put the puck in the net. Are 1-2 as of now, win is 4-2 Hutchinson
Mankato WestSeems like it could be a down year for them. No high end talent but a bunch of hard workers. New goalie.

It will be interesting to see how this section plays out.

Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:41 pm

I must agree C_T, I've seen at least half of the teams in 1A. The section is way down this year IMO. Even the lower end teams seam to be struggling a lot more. Hopefully, it's just a down year, and not a sign of things to come.

Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 am

Bumping this up.

Still looks like the 1A teams are struggling top to bottom.
Are there any surprises in site?

Could a low seeded team make it to State?

Schnauzer1

Post by Schnauzer1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Mankato East seems to be capable of good play. However, for each impressive outing there seems to be a bad game to match it, on their list of completed games. It is comparably hard to score on them so that will keep them in a lot of games. They seem to be challenged to score goals so that will keep weaker teams in competition with them.

Lourdes is a middle-of-the-road team this season.

Section 1 is a little sloppy and the winner this year will likely have a more-than-average number of losses on their state tournament resume.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:49 pm

From where I sit the top 6

1 Albert Lea
2 Mankato East
3 Rochester Lourdes
4 Mankato West
5 Minnesota River
6 Austin

Any of the top 4 could make it, but I am cheering for MN River.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm

A lot of parity in 1A with Northfield out. My hunch is Albert Lea and East are the favorites but there have been a lot of 1 goal games played between the top 8 teams. East has played a tougher schedule than everyone else, that should give them an edge come playoffs.

Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am

From what I have seen so far, I totally agree with you Elliot.

I am surprised that Waseca is not doing a bit better.

Seems that Faribo is improved from last year- stud goalie.

Winona looks to be the same as previous years.

What the heck happened to LaCresent?

Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 am

My yearly question.

How do you think the seeding went?

Any upsets in the pigtail round or Quarters?

Any chance of postponing Tuesday night's games due to weather?

Not a lot of chatting on Section 1A this year.

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Jim9000 wrote:My yearly question.

Don't follow the section a ton. But I have to think with their play of late that the Minnesota River team has a decent shot at some upsets.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:14 pm

GoldyGopher wrote:
Jim9000 wrote:My yearly question.

Don't follow the section a ton. But I have to think with their play of late that the Minnesota River team has a decent shot at some upsets.
You beat me to the MR comment. While they lost to Albert Lea and Mankato Easr earlier in the season, the Bulldogs have recently been on a roll and I would not be surprised to see them knock off either or both of the top seeds.

Otherwise this section seems like it mostly will be chalk, unless you consider Lourdes over West to be an upset.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Hopefully they get the games in as the ice just keeps building on the roads and is supposed to continue, safety for players and fans has to be a major consideration tomorrow.

If Lourdes beats West I think they will give Albert Lea a tough run, both of their previous games have been close Tiger wins.....and beating a team 3 times in row is tough. I saw East get bombed by Century last week by playing defense like it was an NHL all star game, not a game for the conference championship (and Century doesn't score a whole lot) That threw up enough of a red flag for me to give the edge to Albert Lea or possibly Lourdes. Minnesota River by beating Luverne sure caught my attention though and just maybe the Bulldogs are peaking at the right time.

It won't be the best hockey in terms of quality, but I think it should be very competitive hockey which makes for a good tournament.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Lourdes 3
Albert Lea 2 (ot)

A very close and hard fought game, in the end puck luck went Lourdes way and the Eagles tied up and won the game on deflections. AL deserved better but that is hockey.

Mankato East 3
Minnesota River 1

Again a close game, East got a couple of soft goals to go up 2-0 early but that was just about it for scoring. MR put 40 shots on net but Cousey played really well to keep East ahead. MR is young, I think I counted 4 seniors, the Bulldogs could be really good next year....they have some real nice players and can keep pressure on for extended stretches.