Single A Nov 30 rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Single A Nov 30 rankings

Post by elliott70 »

HSHW does not seem to be around so at least for today, I will give the single A fans something to discuss.

Top 10 as of November 30th.

1. Hermantown. 0-0-0. Who else? Defending champs, return some quality players, new coach but a guy that knows Hermantown hockey and has proven to be a quality coach at other levels.
Yet to play a game but start with stiff competition over the next 10 days:
Wayzata, Lakeville South, Eden Prairie and Benilde.

2. Orono 1-0-0. Tough to slot someone in this spot, but Orono could be the team that kicks Htown out of the top spot this year. Beat a good East Grand Forks team 5-3 at home to start the season. Coming up: Providence Academy, Holy Family and Monticello.

3. St Cloud Cathedral 1-0-0 Could be the #2 team. Beat Fergus Falls 5-0 to start the section campaign of on a strong note. Have: Warroad, East Grand Forks, Rochester Lourdes and Thief River Falls.

4. Delano 1-0-0. Another potential #2 and giant killer. Knocked off East Grand Forks to ruin the Green Wave opening weekend 3-2. Breck, Bloomington Kennedy and Chanhassen are on the horizon.

5. East Grand Forks 0-2-0. Also a quality team. Started with a weekend road trip and played two quality teams close. Have some challenges in the next ten days with Totino, St Cloud Cathedral, Park Rapids and Greenway.

6. Mahtomedi 0-0-0. Could be another very challenging team. Have not played yet and only two games in the next ten days. Hill-Murray will give us an idea of their strength and play North St Paul.

7. Greenway 2-0-0. If you read this board at all you have heard about the beat down of Grand Rapids and a victory over Mound West-Tonka. They have some real quality players, the typical iron range hard workers, a new goalie that looks to be top notch and a coach that knows hockey. Coming up: Virginia, Duluth Denfeld, and East Grand Forks.

8. Breck 1-1-0. Single A is not complete without a mention of Breck. Started with a surprising drubbing by Fargo Davies but bounced back to handle Pine City Area. Not a great start. Have Delano, Chaska and St Michaels in the next ten days.

9. Virginia 1-0-0. Beat their annual early season foe Little Falls at home 5-3. They are supposed to be the team to challenge Htown in section 7 this year. The next ten days will give us a good idea with Greenway, Int'l. Falls, Grand Rapids, Warroad and Northern Lakes.

10. Warroad 0-1-0. Could not find the net in their opener with Bemidji losing 3-zip. But Bemidji's Fitzgerald does that to teams. The next ten days will test them to see if they can hold this spot with: St. Cloud Cathedral, Sartell, Crookston, Virginia and Grand Rapids.

A lot of teams to consider for top ten spots including and in no particular order:
Alexandria,Thief River Falls, Monticello, Sartell, Luverne, St Paul Academy, Northfield, Minneapolis, Totino, and Fergus Falls.
Last edited by elliott70 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Virginia beat LF 5-3.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Mite-dad wrote:Virginia beat LF 5-3.
Thanks.
(A problem that at times I cannot read my own handwriting.)
zooomx

Re: Single A Nov 30 rankings

Post by zooomx »

elliott70 wrote:HSHW does not seem to be around so at least for today, I will give the single A fans something to discuss.

Top 10 as of November 30th.

1. Hermantown. 0-0-0. Who else? Defending champs, return some quality players, new coach but a guy that knows Hermantown hockey and has proven to be a quality coach at other levels.
Yet to play a game but start with stiff competition over the next 10 days:
Wayzata, Lakeville South, Eden Prairie and Benilde.

2. Orono 1-0-0. Tough to slot someone in this spot, but Orono could be the team that kicks Htown out of the top spot this year. Beat a good East Grand Forks team 5-3 at home to start the season. Coming up: Providence Academy, Holy Family and Monticello.

3. St Cloud Cathedral 1-0-0 Could be the #2 team. Beat Fergus Falls 5-0 to start the section campaign of on a strong note. Have: Warroad, East Grand Forks, Rochester Lourdes and Thief River Falls.

4. Delano 1-0-0. Another potential #2 and giant killer. Knocked off East Grand Forks to ruin the Green Wave opening weekend 3-2. Breck, Bloomington Kennedy and Chanhassen are on the horizon.

5. East Grand Forks 0-2-0. Also a quality team. Started with a weekend road trip and played two quality teams close. Have some challenges in the next ten days with Totino, St Cloud Cathedral, Park Rapids and Greenway.

6. Mahtomedi 0-0-0. Could be another very challenging team. Have not played yet and only two games in the next ten days. Hill-Murray will give us an idea of their strength and play North St Paul.

7. Greenway 2-0-0. If you read this board at all you have heard about the beat down of Grand Rapids and a victory over Mound West-Tonka. They have some real quality players, the typical iron range hard workers, a new goalie that looks to be top notch and a coach that knows hockey. Coming up: Virginia, Duluth Denfeld, and East Grand Forks.

8. Breck 1-1-1. Single A is not complete without a mention of Breck. Started with a surprising drubbing by Fargo Davies but bounced back to handle Pine City Area. Not a great start. Have Delano, Chaska and St Michaels in the next ten days.

9. Virginia 1-0-0. Beat their annual early season foe Little Falls at home 5-3. They are supposed to be the team to challenge Htown in section 7 this year. The next ten days will give us a good idea with Greenway, Int'l. Falls, Grand Rapids, Warroad and Northern Lakes.

10. Warroad 0-1-0. Could not find the net in their opener with Bemidji losing 3-zip. But Bemidji's Fitzgerald does that to teams. The next ten days will test them to see if they can hold this spot with: St. Cloud Cathedral, Sartell, Crookston, Virginia and Grand Rapids.

A lot of teams to consider for top ten spots including and in no particular order:
Alexandria,Thief River Falls, Monticello, Sartell, Luverne, St Paul Academy, Northfield, Minneapolis, Totino, and Fergus Falls.
Interesting, no Alex in your top 10. That's ok, I think they will be there when it matters. Well, maybe not your top 10, but the rest of them. :D

They are better than they looked Tuesday night.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: 8. Breck 1-1-1. Single A is not complete without a mention of Breck. Started with a surprising drubbing by Fargo Davies but bounced back to handle Pine City Area. Not a great start. Have Delano, Chaska and St Michaels in the next ten days.
Perhaps just a typo, but Breck does not have a tie. I was also surprised by the margin of victory that Fargo Davies put up, but they absolutely destroyed Marshall the next night, and in doing some reading Davies is considered to be a dark horse contender for the North Dakota championship this year. That may just be the Breck fan in me trying to justify the loss, but I’m not sure you can draw too many conclusions from that first game against a good out-of-state opponent.

Delano knocking off EGF was a rather a big surprise in my book. I assumed that the Tigers would fall off considerably after heavy losses to graduation and transfer. Really looking forward to the big game this weekend.
frozenponds

Post by frozenponds »

[quote="Stang5280"][quote="elliott70"] 8. Breck 1-1-1. Single A is not complete without a mention of Breck. Started with a surprising drubbing by Fargo Davies but bounced back to handle Pine City Area. Not a great start. Have Delano, Chaska and St Michaels in the next ten days.[/quote]

Perhaps just a typo, but Breck does not have a tie. I was also surprised by the margin of victory that Fargo Davies put up, but they absolutely destroyed Marshall the next night, and in doing some reading Davies is considered to be a dark horse contender for the North Dakota championship this year. That may just be the Breck fan in me trying to justify the loss, but I’m not sure you can draw too many conclusions from that first game against a good out-of-state opponent.
.[/quote]

A drubbing by Fargo Davies is not a surprise. They are a good team, AA comparable and have that new UND recruit straight out of Bantams.