YHH HS Hockey Podcast, 12/3/17

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

YHH HS Hockey Podcast, 12/3/17

Post by karl(east) »

In this week's edition:

-Last week's big games
-Jon Gruden Picks (Who would you take to lead several prominent programs when their current coach leaves? Wishful thinking edition)
-My AA top 10
-"Lost" Teams (Teams from history that had a bunch of talent that you may not remember today...teams from less prominent programs that had one great year, or past greats with a sudden return to glory...it's a fun feature)
-Upcoming games and Pick'Ems

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... _id=967184
kniven

Re: YHH HS Hockey Podcast, 12/3/17

Post by kniven »

I just listened to the podcast. Lots of good information on high school hockey teams. These podcasts make things more interesting during the season. Thanks boys
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Couldn’t agree more. A big thanks to Karl for attending the Greenway-Rapids game and all the positive, remarks. Hope you can make the trip up when Hermantowm comes to Hodgins-Berardo.
kniven

Post by kniven »

greenwayraider wrote:Couldn’t agree more. A big thanks to Karl for attending the Greenway-Rapids game and all the positive, remarks. Hope you can make the trip up when Hermantowm comes to Hodgins-Berardo.
It is pretty cool with KarlEast comes to one of your favorite teams games - or for that matter anybody from the Youth Hockey Hub podcast. Kinda feels like celebrity's have come to watch. I always hope my team plays well when KarlEast or anyone of the boys from YHH comes to watch.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

kniven wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Couldn’t agree more. A big thanks to Karl for attending the Greenway-Rapids game and all the positive, remarks. Hope you can make the trip up when Hermantowm comes to Hodgins-Berardo.
It is pretty cool with KarlEast comes to one of your favorite teams games - or for that matter anybody from the Youth Hockey Hub podcast. Kinda feels like celebrity's have come to watch. I always hope my team plays well when KarlEast or anyone of the boys from YHH comes to watch.

Jesus dude, you angling for a job at YHH? It's a website ran by a dude who is in marketing who gets paid a lot of money by Gentry to make sure thing 1 and thing 2 get plenty of publicity. While I appreciate their coverage of youth hockey tournaments, to say these guys are experts is a bit of a stretch.
kniven

Post by kniven »

No. Jesus would be KarlEast. Hockey “Jesus” that is. I have a gig already. 👍🏿
Stang5280

Section alignments

Post by Stang5280 »

A bit of a belated reply, but I really enjoyed this week’s podcast, particularly the trivia segment regarding “lost” excellent teams. I wanted to add a few factoids to the discussion about strangely aligned sections from the one class era. While Section 2 and its three metro, St. Cloud, and Duluth brackets certainly took the cake, there were a few other odd ones.

Section 3 was a strangely gerrymandered grouping, stretching from Stillwater and Forest Lake in the northeastern suburbs all the way to Osseo and Park Center in the northwest. It basically resulted in Hill Murray and WBL meeting in the final every year. The metro bracket of Section 2 included schools like Blaine and Irondale, which were much closer to the majority of the Section 3 teams, and also Columbia Heights, which was south of several neighboring Section 3 schools.

Section 5 was also a bit of an oddball. It primarily consisted of the Minneapolis schools, Kennedy, Jefferson, and the neighboring private schools such as Breck, Blake, BSM, etc. But then Willmar and Litchfield were randomly thrown into that mix. Certainly there were a number of inner ring suburban schools that would have been a better geographic fit for this section.

Not that the current sectional alignments don’t have their geographical oddities, but it was even worse in the past.
karl(east)

Re: Section alignments

Post by karl(east) »

Stang5280 wrote:A bit of a belated reply, but I really enjoyed this week’s podcast, particularly the trivia segment regarding “lost” excellent teams. I wanted to add a few factoids to the discussion about strangely aligned sections from the one class era. While Section 2 and its three metro, St. Cloud, and Duluth brackets certainly took the cake, there were a few other odd ones.

Section 3 was a strangely gerrymandered grouping, stretching from Stillwater and Forest Lake in the northeastern suburbs all the way to Osseo and Park Center in the northwest. It basically resulted in Hill Murray and WBL meeting in the final every year. The metro bracket of Section 2 included schools like Blaine and Irondale, which were much closer to the majority of the Section 3 teams, and also Columbia Heights, which was south of several neighboring Section 3 schools.

Section 5 was also a bit of an oddball. It primarily consisted of the Minneapolis schools, Kennedy, Jefferson, and the neighboring private schools such as Breck, Blake, BSM, etc. But then Willmar and Litchfield were randomly thrown into that mix. Certainly there were a number of inner ring suburban schools that would have been a better geographic fit for this section.

Not that the current sectional alignments don’t have their geographical oddities, but it was even worse in the past.
Interesting stuff, thanks...didn't realize how bizarre sections 3 and 5 were at the time. You'd think it would be fairly easy to divide the state into eight geographically logical sections with roughly the same number of teams in them, but it never really has been. And in those late days of the one-class tournament sections were huge, leading to any number of play-in games and funky brackets.

FYI, we're doing an evening recording for this week's podcast, so expect it later on.