Schwan’s Cup

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Schwan’s Cup

Post by j4241 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:14 pm

There is a chance for the remaining two unbeaten teams in AA to play in the championship game of the Gold bracket on Dec 30, 8pm at Ridder. Both have work to do first, but if it shapes up that way, a Blake/Centennial matchup should be another fantastic showcase of girls high school hockey at a great venue.

zooomx

Re: Schwan’s Cup

Post by zooomx » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:22 pm

j4241 wrote:There is a chance for the remaining two unbeaten teams in AA to play in the championship game of the Gold bracket on Dec 30, 8pm at Ridder. Both have work to do first, but if it shapes up that way, a Blake/Centennial matchup should be another fantastic showcase of girls high school hockey at a great venue.
About as exciting as watching the Yankees play the Red Sox in the ALCS. Hope one of them gets upset in order to set up a Cinderella story.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 am

zooomx wrote:
j4241 wrote:There is a chance for the remaining two unbeaten teams in AA to play in the championship game of the Gold bracket on Dec 30, 8pm at Ridder. Both have work to do first, but if it shapes up that way, a Blake/Centennial matchup should be another fantastic showcase of girls high school hockey at a great venue.
About as exciting as watching the Yankees play the Red Sox in the ALCS. Hope one of them gets upset in order to set up a Cinderella story.
Would you watch a Yankees / Red Soxs ALCS game if they played it on ice? If yes, and if #1 Blake ends up in the championship game with #2 Centennial, go watch that too. It will be better than the Yankees and Red Soxs on ice. All kidding aside, I would much rather see the current #1 team in the state play the #2 team. From the intensity of the Edina-Centennial match-up last Friday night, I would be surprised if this potential match-up would become a boring yawner. Plus, there's something like 8-10 D1 recruits that would be playing in that game. How would you not want to watch what could be a very good hockey game?

In my opinion, the only team that could be a "Cinderella" would be Andover. Not much of a Cinderella since they're a good team to start off with, and they have been playing very well lately. After losing 3 in a row to Blaine, Centennial, and Maple Grove, they have won 5 in a row against some pretty good teams that include Elk River, Forest Lake, Blaine, and Tonka. Someone gave them a wake-up call and they have responded.

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Lace'emUp wrote: Would you watch a Yankees / Red Soxs ALCS game if they played it on ice? If yes, and if #1 Blake ends up in the championship game with #2 Centennial, go watch that too. It will be better than the Yankees and Red Soxs on ice. All kidding aside, I would much rather see the current #1 team in the state play the #2 team. From the intensity of the Edina-Centennial match-up last Friday night, I would be surprised if this potential match-up would become a boring yawner. Plus, there's something like 8-10 D1 recruits that would be playing in that game. How would you not want to watch what could be a very good hockey game?

In my opinion, the only team that could be a "Cinderella" would be Andover. Not much of a Cinderella since they're a good team to start off with, and they have been playing very well lately. After losing 3 in a row to Blaine, Centennial, and Maple Grove, they have won 5 in a row against some pretty good teams that include Elk River, Forest Lake, Blaine, and Tonka. Someone gave them a wake-up call and they have responded.
Every team in MSHSL girls hockey could be a Cinderella story. By that I mean lose the fancy dress and get their shoes rocked off by any team out there. That's what happened to WBL today with a 0-3 loss to FLake. Even the refs were on our (WBL) side. I still wonder if the bounty is true that the MN refs put on FLakes head coach.

Back to the unbeatens. I will be at that game if it comes true. No need to watch WBL beat up on a couple out-of-state teams. At this point I would pick Centennial to win it. They are rolling high and have no desire to come down. Anyone that would miss that game if they had the chance is a fool, or they really don't care about MN girls hockey and want to bash everyone that loves the game.

And on to the next round we go.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:36 pm

IceHiker wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote: Would you watch a Yankees / Red Soxs ALCS game if they played it on ice? If yes, and if #1 Blake ends up in the championship game with #2 Centennial, go watch that too. It will be better than the Yankees and Red Soxs on ice. All kidding aside, I would much rather see the current #1 team in the state play the #2 team. From the intensity of the Edina-Centennial match-up last Friday night, I would be surprised if this potential match-up would become a boring yawner. Plus, there's something like 8-10 D1 recruits that would be playing in that game. How would you not want to watch what could be a very good hockey game?

Every team in MSHSL girls hockey could be a Cinderella story. By that I mean lose the fancy dress and get their shoes rocked off by any team out there. That's what happened to WBL today with a 0-3 loss to FLake. Even the refs were on our (WBL) side. I still wonder if the bounty is true that the MN refs put on FLakes head coach.

Back to the unbeatens. I will be at that game if it comes true. No need to watch WBL beat up on a couple out-of-state teams. At this point I would pick Centennial to win it. They are rolling high and have no desire to come down. Anyone that would miss that game if they had the chance is a fool, or they really don't care about MN girls hockey and want to bash everyone that loves the game.

And on to the next round we go.
It appears that FLake is back on track? Or will this be a continued roller-coaster ride? WBL is similar. One week they're flying high, the next week a coach quits and they lose a couple games.

I can get a sense of what you mean regarding the refs by seeing the 3rd period of the WBL-FLake box score. It was an even game until FLake scored 2 goals in the first half of the 3rd period. Then FLake had 2 penalties called on them to put WBL on the power play a couple times in the last half of the 3rd. I bet the tension was thick in the lobby after the game.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:51 pm

No doubt zooom will be home re reading Don Quixote, but for the rest of us, tonight should be a fantastic game! Blake will be without Maddy Wethington, but no excuses - both Blake and Centennial should be ready to play for this one!

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm

j4241 wrote:No doubt zooom will be home re reading Don Quixote, but for the rest of us, tonight should be a fantastic game! Blake will be without Maddy Wethington, but no excuses - both Blake and Centennial should be ready to play for this one!
Hey now, if I lived around there, and wasn't working I would definitely watch them square off. Just love to poke at the dynasty teams when I can. :twisted:

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:25 am

Lots of great hockey top down. Some surprises in regards to a few highly ranked A and AA teams in the gold division who really struggled.

Question - when did the USA u18s head out of town? Did they play in their Christmas tourneys?

Happy 2018 hockey fans

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:52 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Lots of great hockey top down. Some surprises in regards to a few highly ranked A and AA teams in the gold division who really struggled.

Question - when did the USA u18s head out of town? Did they play in their Christmas tourneys?

Happy 2018 hockey fans
They left Dec 28 to Florida then I believe they leave today to Russia

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:25 am

Thanks. That makes sense.

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Lots of great hockey top down. Some surprises in regards to a few highly ranked A and AA teams in the gold division who really struggled.

Happy 2018 hockey fans
I do not think many of the teams that had players leave were hurt. Blake and Minnetonka both won their respective tournaments without their top player.

WBL and ER already lost before their top players / goalie left for Florida.

Lakeville North, maybe with a loss in the championship game by 2 goals.

Red Wing lost big when T left, but then again there is not much of a team after her.

Who did I miss that was in a tournament? Either way, a team should not rely that heavy on one player. If that is the case the association coaches did not do their job of building better players at the younger ages. I think we give some of these players too much hype and it shows when most of them start playing college hockey. Then again a few (but just a few) of them deserve the hype.

Once again congratulations to Blake for a big win against Centennial. Like I said, stop the duo and you will win.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 pm

I was just curious when the u18s left as I missed seeing some of the girls play. I didn’t say anything about these absences affecting their teams or bracket outcomes? The gold teams I was referring to that really struggled didn’t have any Team USA players.

Again, ? I guess you needed to get that rant out even though it was unprovoked lol.

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:I was just curious when the u18s left as I missed seeing some of the girls play. I didn’t say anything about these absences affecting their teams or bracket outcomes? The gold teams I was referring to that really struggled didn’t have any Team USA players.

Again, ? I guess you needed to get that rant out even though it was unprovoked lol.
Well, when you make those two comments back to back in the same post others will assume you are talking about 'teams in the gold division who really struggled' because of their 'USA u18 heading out of town'.

As for a rant, it was all truth and facts. Like math, you can not argue about math, either it is correct or incorrect. Also, trying to engage in conversation from your post is not what I call provoking. I even asked if there was anyone I missed.

2 more days until Team USA u18s take the ice in Russia.