WBL vs Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins WBL or Edina?

Edina in running time
14%
Edina
73%
a tie
14%
White Bear Lake in OT
No votes

Total votes: 22

elliott70

WBL vs Edina

Post by elliott70 »

The pick 'em group has Edina the unanimous favorite.

Any 'bored' members give the Bears of WBL a chance?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I would give them a chance. It's just tough to bet against Edina.
kniven

Post by kniven »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I would give them a chance. It's just tough to bet against Edina.
I am pulling for the Bears in this one. I’m not one for green cake.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

I love the go fund me page so that the horn can broadcast the game. Apparently Edina charges to broadcast their games.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

The health status of Koumontzis and Crosby will play some role in the outcome. I can see this being a difference of a couple goals. I don't think a 100% healthy Edina team takes WBL to running time.

Healthy Edina team: Hornets W 5-2
<100% Healthy Edina team: Hornets W 4-2
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

pioneers wrote:I love the go fund me page so that the horn can broadcast the game. Apparently Edina charges to broadcast their games.
That's a cake move :P :wink:
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

ryguyMN wrote:The health status of Koumontzis and Crosby will play some role in the outcome. I can see this being a difference of a couple goals. I don't think a 100% healthy Edina team takes WBL to running time.

Based on Koumontzis‘ performance against Burnsville with either four or five goals in the game, depending on who you talk to, I think he’s going to ok for WBL...
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

ryguyMN wrote:
ryguyMN wrote:The health status of Koumontzis and Crosby will play some role in the outcome. I can see this being a difference of a couple goals. I don't think a 100% healthy Edina team takes WBL to running time.

Based on Koumontzis‘ performance against Burnsville with either four or five goals in the game, depending on who you talk to, I think he’s going to ok for WBL...
Crosby had a couple points as well, they're plenty healthy.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

ryguyMN wrote:Based on Koumontzis‘ performance against Burnsville with either four or five goals in the game, depending on who you talk to, I think he’s going to ok for WBL...
After a little delay, the box is up on MnHockeyHub.com showing him with 4 genos and still time to pick an apple.
Be kind. Rewind.
CakeScout17

DK & Crosby POV from Bville tilt on 1/2/18

Post by CakeScout17 »

Yes, the announcement at game had DK w/ the goal and Malmquist with the assist when opposite occurred. DK made slick pass to LM and LM buried it for the cross-ice goal, thus giving DK 4G/1A for a 5pt night. DK definitely feeling better and playing more confidently now post-concussion. DK even had a nice backcheck late in 1st period (one of only 2 checks from Edina all night which is disconcerting). By eye test? I'd say DK is at about 90-95%.

Crosby has the legs back but I might put him at about 80-85%. Word is he had flu over the holidays combined w/ nursing a 'slight shoulder sprain/separation' - LC, he's.a tough kid. LC is a leader. He's getting it back though by picking up 2A. (They put the DK/LC/LM line as top line vs. B'ville thus placing the SW/JJ/MN line as the #2). After this weeks slate of 3 games in 5 days - the boys will get a full week off to heal up and grind out some practices to gear up for Blaine and looming Tonka rematch at end of month on home ice.
And - they need it.

There seems to be something off w/ the chemistry overall though...its palpable. Tonka jolted them. Theres a basic level of confidence that seems shaken.
Tonka provided the blueprint on how to beat Edina:
Combine (every teams) innate desire to beat Edina with a physical, relentless forecheck. Don't simply watch Edina skate and try to hang with them - but attack them! If not, you'll end up in 3rd period running time. Chemistry-wise, the defense just seems off - theres a theme here that Karl (East) illustrated right after the Schwans Cup Tonka loss re: the sloppiness of Edina passes in their own zone. Its true. 2 passes and you should be out of your own zone but time and again B'ville forced Edina into sloppiness and frustration. Its at this point that BB seems to be forcing the issue which ends up leaving him twisted and falling down on ice (3x by my count last night) - literally tripping over his own feet. I don't recall ever seeing this lack of fundamentals the last two seasons and definitely not in the Elite league. BB soared and enjoyed real success this past Fall. I really thought the Edina boys, esp the defensive corps, thrived under Ranheim in Elite league play. Currently, they seem to actually be regressing. Coaching? Mental? Chemistry issue? TBD. As much as sophomore G Bell had nice outing vs. Bville, on the flipside I would be remiss if I didnt give kudos to the Burnsville goalie, Mauck. He truly made some nice saves and avoided a 10-1 outing. (He also held St Thomas Academy to 3 goals. Edina put up 6...go figure, right?).

Overall Edina is a very entertaining team with true speed and skill, worth the price of a $25.00 admission ticket - but lacks team size and just not enough 'jam' or 'sand' or whatever slang you prefer to illustrate 'physicality'. They 'should' get to state out of their section but winning it all will be a tall task w/o that JAM and top-flight goaltending. Godspeed boys.

Note: Im a total Edina homer, but really forcing the reality check. Its not easy, but objectivity is the goal.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Cake

Crosby and Walker have to exercise strong senior leadership , and others HAVE to follow . Specially if Giles not back on bench by Thursday

D has to play D first . Team has enough potent O to take care of itself .
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Good takes, CakeScout. The good news from an Edina perspective is that it's still early...the 2014 Hornets, who were probably the most dominant playoff team in recent memory, lost four games during the regular season. This WBL game will certainly be interesting, but the games I'll really be watching are the two Tonka rematches in Lake play, and also the games with Wayzata, who may not be as skilled but has a track record of giving the Hornets trouble. Do they make progress, and can they handle games against teams with similar skill or that can play a grinding, defensive style? We'll learn a lot about them before the end of the regular season.
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

The Horn has gotten enough money from the gofundme to broadcast the game tonight. With that in mind I am interested to see if anyone would be interested in a discord community or a group chat of sorts to discuss the game as its going on. My usual viewing party is not available to watch so I'm looking for people to watch/discuss the game. I have the discord link posted below. Free app for text or voice discussions. I know that the wild and nhl subreddits occasionally use these to discuss the games together.

https://discord.gg/GhvDg4
grindiangrad-80

Edina 3
White Bear Lake 2

after 2.

The Bears have played well and it looks to be an interesting 3rd.
grindiangrad-80

Bears tie it at 3 with 5:30 to go. Hang on.
grindiangrad-80

Kouzmantos off the crossbar with 3:30 to go.
grindiangrad-80

Sammy Walker with a breakaway is stonewalled by the Junior goalie for White Bear. Wow big finish coming.
grindiangrad-80

OT. SOG are 27-27.
grindiangrad-80

Edina wins in OT. Awesome game to watch.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I watched the second half of the game or so. Definitely entertaining, WBL certainly proved they deserve that top 5 ranking and while Edina probably had a slight territorial edge, they were pretty evenly matched. The WBL D held up pretty well, but all it took was one rough play at the end there to let Jungels walk in for the pretty backhanded game-winner.

Walker had a very impressive night--if anyone had any doubt, I don't think there should be much question that he deserves his Mr. Hockey frontrunner status. Koumontzis, on the other hand, seemed to be neutralized pretty well one on one. Their D seemed somewhat tighter than it was when I last saw them in the Holiday Classic, though they still push forward a lot more than Edina defenses usually do (especially Brinkman). WBL's top line seemed to get a ton of ice time toward the end, which I'm not sure was ideal given that the 2nd line at least seemed to be playing pretty well when it was out there. Foss had a solid game, too.
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

Karl I agree. The WBL first line played too much at the end and got tired. The period end and ot time out were good breathers. Still an exciting end to the game. Great game to watch over all.

The D played well for WBL but they need to clean out the slot on the pk. Edina had a guy just sitting in front screening Foss the whole time. The WBL pk was very condensed but didnt clear out. Edina on the other hand had a spread out ok and played agressive when in their zone. Some quick passes might get them disorganized but they did a very good job tonight.

I can't remember who but I read on the Schwans Cup thread that Tonkas physical play is the key to beating Edina and it showed again tonight. WBL was playing very physical. Edina was too but at the end of the game there were numerous big hits and it slowed down the very quick hornets. The transition game was Edinas all night but if the bears played the body not much Edina could do.

Over all very fun game to watch. Excited to watch this WBL team more and to see how Edina comes back in their next few games.
ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 »

Great game, even though the bears lost, they showed they are for real this year
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

That guy for that thing wrote:The Horn has gotten enough money from the gofundme to broadcast the game tonight.
Game was streamed three places.

Youth Hockey Hub
Horn
State of Hockey (MN Wild)
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

First period Edina had three very good chances but only registered about 5 shots. Bears put up more than a dozen and got one past Mackay. A friend said it best...every shot is an adventure.

Second period was all Edina and they notched three. Credit to the Bears for getting their best goal of the game late to go into intermission just down one.

Edina never got a goal to pull ahead. As good as they are, this is not a team built for close games or overtime. They are just so susceptible to giving up a bad goal at any moment.

Hornets won for three reasons.
  • Best team I've seen with zone entry
    Lethal PP at a 30% plus clip
    High end talent (tonight it was Walker and then Jungels with a beauty to win)
White Bear is definitely good.

Karl posted something in the past day that made me think. Edina won in 2014 and was unbeatable at the end. No close games at state. This team has enough talent to maybe do that. Somehow they have to work on their Achilles.

Semi-related note...every time I watch Brinkman he's so good that he seems bored. He gets a free pass because of the talent level, but it is time to eliminate the high risk plays. One friend always talks about "100% plays" where you know with certainty the pass will connect or the clear will leave the zone. I see a bunch of 80% plays that are really cool. If he could clean things up I am not sure anyone is better.
Be kind. Rewind.
grindiangrad-80

O-townClown wrote:First period Edina had three very good chances but only registered about 5 shots. Bears put up more than a dozen and got one past Mackay. A friend said it best...every shot is an adventure.

Second period was all Edina and they notched three. Credit to the Bears for getting their best goal of the game late to go into intermission just down one.

Edina never got a goal to pull ahead. As good as they are, this is not a team built for close games or overtime. They are just so susceptible to giving up a bad goal at any moment.

Hornets won for three reasons.
  • Best team I've seen with zone entry
    Lethal PP at a 30% plus clip
    High end talent (tonight it was Walker and then Jungels with a beauty to win)
White Bear is definitely good.

Karl posted something in the past day that made me think. Edina won in 2014 and was unbeatable at the end. No close games at state. This team has enough talent to maybe do that. Somehow they have to work on their Achilles.

Semi-related note...every time I watch Brinkman he's so good that he seems bored. He gets a free pass because of the talent level, but it is time to eliminate the high risk plays. One friend always talks about "100% plays" where you know with certainty the pass will connect or the clear will leave the zone. I see a bunch of 80% plays that are really cool. If he could clean things up I am not sure anyone is better.
Agree with most of this O Town. The one thing I disagree with- I would bet my grand kids retirement on Edina in OT everytime. It's been a good bet since I can remember.