DEast and Tonka

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The winner will be?

Tonka
62%
DEast
38%

Total votes: 26

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

kniven wrote:
BodyShots wrote:DE is overrated! I'm going with Tonka 5-2.
Duluth East had 12 of their varsity playing for the Elite League North this fall. That’s 12 of the best hockey players in 218 skate for the Hounds. I’m sure the junior and senior classes were at state multiple times as peewee and bantams.
Didn't several players on Tonka win 1 or 2 AA Bantam titles and at least a few were on the title winning Elite League team?
WestMetro wrote:Excellent history Karl!!

And yes, I am going with the Hounds saturday based on aggressive forecheck with size advantage, and also trapping in neutral and D zone
Marshall had good size too but were no match for Tonka. The same could be said for Moorhead. And while DE has about a 1 inch average advantage per the Hub's rosters, they only average 5 pounds heavier not including the goalies. Also not sure you'll find a more aggressive forecheck than the one the Skippers have.

Just sayin....
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

SS

being in the West Metro , every so often I have to pick against the West Metro , otherwise people think I always pick for West Metro😀
tezer13

Post by tezer13 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
kniven wrote: Duluth East had 12 of their varsity playing for the Elite League North this fall. That’s 12 of the best hockey players in 218 skate for the Hounds. I’m sure the junior and senior classes were at state multiple times as peewee and bantams.
And based on that, everybody thought they were going to be dominate and run away with 7AA. Some suggested they were going to be the top team in the state.

Based on their last 5 games, I'm not seeing the domination:

- Tied Cloquet who WBL beat rather convincingly. Plus they had to score with 4 seconds left to get the tie.
- Beat Cent by 2 goals and needed the last 2 in the final 5 minutes to get by them.
- Slipped by DM in OT. Again needing a late goal in the third to tie it up.
- Escaped LN with 2 power play goals to win by a goal.
- Tied a Blaine team that has struggled this year.

Not to mention they were lucky to escape WBL with a tie, if their goalie didn't play way over his head in the OT. And WBL had how many Elite players this summer? (1)

OVERRATED.
I always have to laugh at what short memories people have. You have to go back quite a few years to see East be dominant, (not dominate) in the regular season. I don't think Randolph is too concerned about what happens before the playoffs.
I have seen the Hounds 5 times and they have been dominant. The shots have been hugely lopsided and I know that it can be misleading, but we are not talking 30-23, we are talking 47-21, 66-22, 46-25 etc. The shots and gameplay have been in the other end most of those games, so they also dominated game play. The only two places they have not dominated in from what I have seen are probably the two most important places; in nets and on the scoreboard.

Cloquet went 4/6 on the PP and East outshot them 47-21. The East PK has only given up one goal in its other 8 games (95+%)

They dominated Centenial throughout the game and Hockey Hub still has the shots wrong, they were 43-20.

I did not see much of DM.

And Blaine was completely on their heals the whole game. East missed 3 tap-ins in the 2nd that could have blown it open (but didn't - that's the rub)

So while we who know and watch them can say they have underperformed, they still have not lost and have not only been the better team, but clearly better in most cases.

Again the rub will be is can they get the goal tending and can they start finishing? If they don't correct this, it will leave them open in the PO's by letting teams stick around and there are a lot of good ones in 7AA.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Appears this game will be streamed on The Cube

https://thecube.com/event/minnetonka-se ... gh--770400
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Yes YYH is doing the game tomorrow.
mnmouth wrote:Appears this game will be streamed on The Cube

https://thecube.com/event/minnetonka-se ... gh--770400
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

kniven wrote:
Duluth East had 12 of their varsity playing for the Elite League North this fall. That’s 12 of the best hockey players in 218 skate for the Hounds. I’m sure the junior and senior classes were at state multiple times as peewee and bantams.
Tonka junior and senior classes won Bantam AA state tournaments. Duluth East didn't make either Tournament. Grand Rapids 2015 and Cloquet 2016.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
kniven wrote:
Tonka junior and senior classes won Bantam AA state tournaments. Duluth East didn't make either Tournament. Grand Rapids 2015 and Cloquet 2016.
How can that be?!!!! 12 elite league players. I guess that’s hockey for you.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

kniven wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
kniven wrote: Duluth East had 12 of their varsity playing for the Elite League North this fall. That’s 12 of the best hockey players in 218 skate for the Hounds. I’m sure the junior and senior classes were at state multiple times as peewee and bantams.
Kniven, just a thought, but being in the Elite league doesn't always mean you are the "best" players. There are some kids that play other sports during the summer, some don't want to make the long drive (especially those from the North!), and others are pushed by their coaches to fill all available slots.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

kniven wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
My sarcasm detector has been on the fritz lately.
kniven

Post by kniven »

I know. I just find it interesting having 12 elite league players. I do respect the heck out of Hounds hockey though. East and Hermantown are just going to average 8 elite league players every year in 218 hockey.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Tonight's game is streaming on the Sate of hockey site.

http://www.stateofhockey.com/live-streaming
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
CakeScout17

Snapshot you are correct...

Post by CakeScout17 »

Tonka with the Bantam AA title followed up by WBL this past spring, 2017.

Yes, Fall 2017 Elite league, Team SW, had 6 MTKA players including Glockner in net. One of strongest Elite teams I have ever seen. The Tonka kids fore-checked, back-checked all over the place and its that attitude that seemingly carried over to the Edina D-men especially as they now just appear to be playing a different game in HS play. Combined w/ Loheit, Brink and Co. Sammy, Jett and Co for the Hornets were flying, had more open lanes and passing just as crisp as could be - some of the most entertaining hockey Ive seen at any level (save for a deep NHL playoff run around these parts) so its been awhile. Team SW, ran away with the Elite League.

I've checked twice and although a minor detail DE carried 11, not 12 in the Elite League. Solid kids with talent who play hard, but seems 3-4 too many? Politics? "Who you know"? Filling roster req? - and isn't the Elite League administered, at least in part, by some fine folks off the Great Lake? Not knocking, just wondering.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Worth, LaMaster and I believe at least one more, played Varsity as Freshman. That could possibly affect a Bantam team...
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:Tonka junior and senior classes won Bantam AA state tournaments. Duluth East didn't make either Tournament. Grand Rapids 2015 and Cloquet 2016.
Worth, LaMaster and I believe at least one more, played Varsity as Freshman. That could possibly affect a Bantam team...
maybe they were too old to remain in Bantams. It happens.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote: How can that be?!!!! 12 elite league players. I guess that’s hockey for you.
Nope, they all moved up early. Not too old.
karl(east)

Re: Snapshot you are correct...

Post by karl(east) »

CakeScout17 wrote:Tonka with the Bantam AA title followed up by WBL this past spring, 2017.

Yes, Fall 2017 Elite league, Team SW, had 6 MTKA players including Glockner in net. One of strongest Elite teams I have ever seen. The Tonka kids fore-checked, back-checked all over the place and its that attitude that seemingly carried over to the Edina D-men especially as they now just appear to be playing a different game in HS play. Combined w/ Loheit, Brink and Co. Sammy, Jett and Co for the Hornets were flying, had more open lanes and passing just as crisp as could be - some of the most entertaining hockey Ive seen at any level (save for a deep NHL playoff run around these parts) so its been awhile. Team SW, ran away with the Elite League.

I've checked twice and although a minor detail DE carried 11, not 12 in the Elite League. Solid kids with talent who play hard, but seems 3-4 too many? Politics? "Who you know"? Filling roster req? - and isn't the Elite League administered, at least in part, by some fine folks off the Great Lake? Not knocking, just wondering.
It's worth remembering that the Elite League Team North roster draws from a much smaller number of teams than the other ones do. It's just easier for a couple of teams to dominate it, especially if it's a somewhat thinner year at any particular position among the handful of teams that tend to rule the roost. Some of this current crop slipped in last year when the pool was particularly thin on D; this year was fairly thin in NE MN among goaltenders. It's long been the case that East, and to a somewhat lesser extent Hermantown and GR, have had a ton of Elite Leaguers. I don't think they would have had 11 if they were in the Metro, but I also don't think it's some grand political plot, either.

And yes, four bantam-eligible Hounds (Worth, Mageau, LaMaster, and Donovan) were busy playing in the HS state championship game three seasons ago. That started a trend of East regularly pulling bantams up to HS that has continued since, so take any bantam results over the past few seasons with a grain of salt.

Back to the present...good matchup between the two remaining undefeated teams. I cracked on the podcast this week that there's no good reason to think East should win this game given recent history; the Hounds certainly have more to prove given results to date this season, especially in back. I'm also curious to see how East's top line does against Tonka, and who wins the depth battle given that both these teams have three viable lines. A Tonka win, and the current rankings basically solidify, with East maybe dropping a spot or two depending on the margin; an East win, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with the top five. Looking forward to it.
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Jeffy95 wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: Worth, LaMaster and I believe at least one more, played Varsity as Freshman. That could possibly affect a Bantam team...
Worth, LaMaster, Mageau, and Donovan moved up in 2014-15, and Lyle, Paine, and Cochran all moved up in 2015-16. All had at least one year of bantams left but moved up early. In fact, Donovan never played bantam hockey....He moved up in 8th grade.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Duluthguy wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:maybe they were too old to remain in Bantams. It happens.
Worth, LaMaster, Mageau, and Donovan moved up in 2014-15, and Lyle, Paine, and Cochran all moved up in 2015-16. All had at least one year of bantams left but moved up early. In fact, Donovan never played bantam hockey....He moved up in 8th grade.
So I guess that means Paine played his 1st year of Bantams for Superior? (8th grade) 😉😊 Anybody who plays youth hockey in Superior is always claimed by them going forward 😎
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

hockey59 wrote:
Duluthguy wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: Nope, they all moved up early. Not too old.
So I guess that means Paine played his 1st year of Bantams for Superior? (8th grade) 😉😊 Anybody who plays youth hockey in Superior is always claimed as a Spartan going forward 😎
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Very nice early goal by Tonka where Brink found D-man Hicks trailing into the zone. Mid-period equalizer scored on the PP by Worth. Anyone's game. All square after one.
Be kind. Rewind.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

O-townClown wrote:Very nice early goal by Tonka where Brink found D-man Hicks trailing into the zone. Mid-period equalizer scored on the PP by Worth. Anyone's game. All square after one.
Come on Hounds!!!!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Very nice second period for Duluth East. They successfully killed two penalties and notched two goals to take a 3-1 lead. Jouppi from Lyle & Baker. Worth again, this time from Fisher and Mr. Magoo.
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Margin cut in half. Loheit upstairs on PP makes it 3-2.
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

4-2 en

Duluth East, Tonka, and Edina are all contenders for the state. I'd throw St. Thomas in there too.
Be kind. Rewind.
duluth dave

Post by duluth dave »

not to bad considering on the road and played last night.