ONE MONTH TO SECTIONS

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nu2hockey

ONE MONTH TO SECTIONS

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Since we have about a month before play-offs. I thought it would be interesting to see what the top teams have on their plates. Mainly, I looked at the present top 10 in AA by LPH and the top 5 in class A. Then I looked at the top 2 teams ranked in each section for class AA.

rank,team,# games left,top opponents yet to play

1. Blake (7) Farm,Breck,Edina,SPU,SPU,Blaine,Cent
2. Cent (8.) ER/Z,Blaine,Andover,Blake
3. Edina (11) Tonka,EP,Wzata,Blake,Tonka,EP,ER/Z
4. HM (7) MG,Blaine,ER/Z,CDH
5. Andover (10) MG,ER/Z,GR/G,Cent
6. Flake (9) GR/G,CDH
7. Blaine (10) MG,Cent,HM,Blake,Tonka
8. Tonka (8.) Edina,Wzata,Lvl S,Edina,Wzata,EP,Blaine
9. MG (8.) Andover,Blaine,ER/Z,HM
10. B/LF (7) TRF,Roseau

In class AA, Blake,Edina and Tonka have STRONG schedules to finish...Once these play out, you will see changes in the top of the SOS

When looking at the top 2 teams in each section, 15/16 are ranked in top 20. The lone exception is Burnsville in 3AA.

1. Breck (9) SPU,Blake,Wzata,Alex
2. Warroad (7) EGF,TRF,Roseau
3. TRF (10) B/LF,Warroad,SPU,EGF,Roseau
4. Alex (8.) GR/G,Breck
5. RW (9) SSP

Class A is so difficult...The winner could very well come out of these top 5,but after watching some of these play, cases can be made for other teams to pull off some upsets...SPU,SSP,EGF come to mind...Duluth Marshall or P/H....with Mahtomedi tying TRF even New Ulm , now that would be crazy..

itsfoilcoach

Re: ONE MONTH TO SECTIONS

Post by itsfoilcoach » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:01 pm

nu2hockey wrote:Since we have about a month before play-offs. I thought it would be interesting to see what the top teams have on their plates. Mainly, I looked at the present top 10 in AA by LPH and the top 5 in class A. Then I looked at the top 2 teams ranked in each section for class AA.

6. Flake (9) GR/G,CDH
10. B/LF (7) TRF,Roseau

In class AA, Blake,Edina and Tonka have STRONG schedules to finish...Once these play out, you will see changes in the top of the SOS

When looking at the top 2 teams in each section, 15/16 are ranked in top 20. The lone exception is Burnsville in 3AA.

4. Alex (8.) GR/G,Breck
5. RW (9) SSP

Class A is so difficult...The winner could very well come out of these top 5,but after watching some of these play, cases can be made for other teams to pull off some upsets...SPU,SSP,EGF come to mind...Duluth Marshall or P/H....with Mahtomedi tying TRF even New Ulm , now that would be crazy..
Very cool topic.. Your spot on. It could be a crazy playoff. But there is a belief that has held true over the years, and in this sport in particular. Building a team from the back up. Whether its association hockey, or the NHL, good goalies win championships, and can tilt the scale in anygame at anytime. I am sure we all can pull many NHL examples over the years, as well as high school playoff hockey over the years that substantiates this thought. Maybe this thinking can tilt the scales in guessing the outcomes of some of these games?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:07 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:Since we have about a month before play-offs. I thought it would be interesting to see what the top teams have on their plates. Mainly, I looked at the present top 10 in AA by LPH and the top 5 in class A. Then I looked at the top 2 teams ranked in each section for class AA.

6. Flake (9) GR/G,CDH
10. B/LF (7) TRF,Roseau

4. Alex (8.) GR/G,Breck
5. RW (9) SSP

Very cool topic.. Your spot on. It could be a crazy playoff. But there is a belief that has held true over the years, and in this sport in particular. Building a team from the back up. Whether its association hockey, or the NHL, good goalies win championships, and can tilt the scale in anygame at anytime. I am sure we all can pull many NHL examples over the years, as well as high school playoff hockey over the years that substantiates this thought. Maybe this thinking can tilt the scales in guessing the outcomes of some of these games?
You are spot on a hot goalie can win you a championship. I have seen it may times on both the boys Karl Gorhing Apple Valley (UND), Alex Dobchuk EP. Who would you say has the best chance of getting a hot goalie this year? Maple Grove has a good one. So do WBL, Cent, Blake, FLake, Blaine, Roseau, Brainerd, Minnetonka and Eastview in AA. In A EGF, TRF, SPU, SSP, Breck, Hibbing,

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Mnnstar wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:

6. Flake (9) GR/G,CDH
10. B/LF (7) TRF,Roseau

4. Alex (8.) GR/G,Breck
5. RW (9) SSP

You are spot on a hot goalie can win you a championship. I have seen it may times on both the boys Karl Gorhing Apple Valley (UND), Alex Dobchuk EP. Who would you say has the best chance of getting a hot goalie this year? Maple Grove has a good one. So do WBL, Cent, Blake, FLake, Blaine, Roseau, Brainerd, Minnetonka and Eastview in AA. In A EGF, TRF, SPU, SSP, Breck, Hibbing,

Your right. Well that made things a lot easier ! Point well taken. Sooo at least you narrowed it down though. Lol.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm

I am confused on how seeding works for section tournaments. I have always thought seeding was based on head to head section play. Yesterday I was told it was overall record first then record in section play. Which scenario is right?

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm

In the past, in girls hockey, the coaches have a conf call ...they can use what every criteria to support their vote that they want..truth is , that the seedings in girls hockey means VERY little in sections. Most likely, the coaches look at LPH rankings and then records for those not ranked.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm

I have heard a couple of things over the years. I believe that it is voted upon by the section coaches. Prior to the vote I thought that they utilized QRF in some way as well...

I also think that they look at H2H scores and games within district as another way of doing the seeding thing. All seems to be sort of intertwined. I have used this site some in looking at QRF and section rankings:

http://www.minnesota-scores.net/classqr ... 0&class=-2

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Honestly, I consider the QRF to be the LEAST of any of the ranking systems. What people want is a ranking that resembles what takes place on the ice. In years past and now, the QRF makes me shake my head...but, that's probably just me