Hermantown at Greenway on 1/16

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenwayraider

Hermantown at Greenway on 1/16

Post by greenwayraider »

A little comparison. Greenway has played one top 10 AA team and was put in running time. Hermantown wins vs AA or at the very least is competitive. The one comparison that give the Raiders some hope is that Cathedral gave Hermantown some trouble so maybe Greenway can to. The game is at Hodgins-Berardo Arena. The last time the two played there it was a 2-1 Hermantown victory. Hermantown's size and depth will be tough to beat. Greenway's defensemen are going to have to be very careful not to pinch at the blueline because Hermantown will burn them. Like to see a close game but expect a 5-1 Hawks win.
elliott70

Re: Hermantown at Greenway on 1/16

Post by elliott70 »

greenwayraider wrote:A little comparison. Greenway has played one top 10 AA team and was put in running time. Hermantown wins vs AA or at the very least is competitive. The one comparison that give the Raiders some hope is that Cathedral gave Hermantown some trouble so maybe Greenway can to. The game is at Hodgins-Berardo Arena. The last time the two played there it was a 2-1 Hermantown victory. Hermantown's size and depth will be tough to beat. Greenway's defensemen are going to have to be very careful not to pinch at the blueline because Hermantown will burn them. Like to see a close game but expect a 5-1 Hawks win.
Reverse jinx????
Need Lee's approval.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Hey, a Single A team needs every and any little edge when you face Hermantown to have any chance.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

greenwayraider wrote:Hey, a Single A team needs every and any little edge when you face Hermantown to have any chance.
:D
kniven

Post by kniven »

greenwayraider wrote:Hey, a Single A team needs every and any little edge when you face Hermantown to have any chance.
You got that right, green. Hermantown hockey has a top 10 hockey program/system in the entire state every year. It’s very impressive indeed.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Biggest game for Greenway in some time but also for Hermantown.

I should drive over.

Anyone from Coleraine have an inkling on the crowd size?
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Should be a good sized crowd but don’t expect it to be the size of a Hibbing or Rapids game. Hermantown doesn’t bring many fans.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Spontaneous road trip night, hopefully Hwy. 2 is in decent shape. Hoping for a decent game. See ya there, Elliott! :wink:
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Hermantown has too many horses in the stable.. 6-2

Sure hope they move to AA with those very talented youth teams coming up.. I'd love to root for them again.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

MrBoDangles wrote:Hermantown has too many horses in the stable.. 6-2

Sure hope they move to AA with those very talented youth teams coming up.. I'd love to root for them again.
Don't hold your breath. Parents don't open-enroll their players there to earn their way to State. It has to be automatic.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Hermantown 2, Greenway 1. End of two. Sog 26-24 Greenway.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Hermantown wins 4-2.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

4-2 Hermantown with an empty netter. What a great game. Hermantown out shot Greenway 10-0 at the beginning of the game. Final shots on goal favored Greenway by a couple. I think it was 34-32. Biondi scored the winning goal off the back of the goalie from the side of the net. The biggest change in Greenway’s lineup was moving Lantz to defense. The kid is a sophomore and maybe is 5’ tall and 90 lbs but his speed, passing and stick handling greatly improved Greenway’s ability to break out of their zone. Most entertaining game of the year. Biondi and Watkins are what makes Hermantown good.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Good game. We made the long trek from GR to Coleraine hoping to see an upset. Take away the first several minutes and Greenway made a solid showing. That first few minutes of the game dug a hole for the Raiders; it had me wondering if green was the new orange.

Greenway's failure to score during the 5-minute PP later in the third seemed a killer, but then they tied it up and seemed to have H-town on their heels. I guess you can't let the puck hang around your net too long, or it eventually will go in.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

That game was well worth the road trip. After the Hermantown onslaught in the first few minutes, Greenway really settled in and carried play for large portions of the game. I'd say their second line is clearly better than that of the Hawks, their puck possession game is solid for a Class A team, and once they started getting players to the net as the game went along, they created some very good chances.

Hermantown obviously has the most potent line in Class A, but to be honest, they're pretty much a one-line team offensively. The fact that they've slid Elliott Peterson up to be the second line center only underscores this. They're still very good and deserve credit for rallying for the win in a hostile environment after giving up the tying goal and down a top line forward to an ejection. But this team is beatable, both in a rematch with Greenway and probably by most of the teams they could plausibly play in the state semis and final, too.

My concerns about Greenway going forward are 1) lack of depth (I don't think the 3rd line ever saw the ice) and 2) how they'll handle the Hawks outside the friendly confines of Hodgins-Berardo and in a place like Amsoil. Of course they have to get that far first. The lack of depth showed some in the 3rd period, when the major penalty just didn't have a ton of urgency, and when things crumbled after the initial burst of energy following the tying goal. But 5-on-5, they can skate with Hermantown, no problem. It's been a long time since we've been able to say that about someone in 7A.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

karl(east) wrote:That game was well worth the road trip. After the Hermantown onslaught in the first few minutes, Greenway really settled in and carried play for large portions of the game. I'd say their second line is clearly better than that of the Hawks, their puck possession game is solid for a Class A team, and once they started getting players to the net as the game went along, they created some very good chances.

Hermantown obviously has the most potent line in Class A, but to be honest, they're pretty much a one-line team offensively. The fact that they've slid Elliott Peterson up to be the second line center only underscores this. They're still very good and deserve credit for rallying for the win in a hostile environment after giving up the tying goal and down a top line forward to an ejection. But this team is beatable, both in a rematch with Greenway and probably by most of the teams they could plausibly play in the state semis and final, too.

My concerns about Greenway going forward are 1) lack of depth (I don't think the 3rd line ever saw the ice) and 2) how they'll handle the Hawks outside the friendly confines of Hodgins-Berardo and in a place like Amsoil. Of course they have to get that far first. The lack of depth showed some in the 3rd period, when the major penalty just didn't have a ton of urgency, and when things crumbled after the initial burst of energy following the tying goal. But 5-on-5, they can skate with Hermantown, no problem. It's been a long time since we've been able to say that about someone in 7A.
Peterson played center through youth hockey. Plante asked him to plat D the summer before 10th grade as the Hawks were to be short at D last year.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

karl(east) wrote:
Those are certainly two concerns but there isn’t anything Clafton can do about the first. Greenway only graduates approximately 75 kid so there will always be a depth problem. N-K contributes nothing. I have a feeling he will make the effect of the second one minimal. I think the biggest concern is their very slow starts against good teams. They were outshot by Cathedral 16-3 in the first period and 22-5 by Rosemount in the first period. They were down 3-0 before coming back and tying it in the third. I hope he can figure out how to solve this problem.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

The good news for Greenway is, once in the section finals and at state, there are plenty of commercial breaks. Hence, you can roll your best lines more often and hide some shortcomings of depth.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
kniven

Post by kniven »

Immigrant Fan wrote:The good news for Greenway is, once in the section finals and at state, there are plenty of commercial breaks. Hence, you can roll your best lines more often and hide some shortcomings of depth.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... ve-survive

It’s amazing to see any single A hockey program compete with Hermantown in a High School hockey game. Especially after reading the above article. Hence some great single A hockey players from small towns across Minnesota nobody will ever hear about. Very, very impressive Greenway came this close. Unfortunate that the state of hockey won’t truly hear about the young kids on this Greenway squad.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

kniven wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:The good news for Greenway is, once in the section finals and at state, there are plenty of commercial breaks. Hence, you can roll your best lines more often and hide some shortcomings of depth.

It’s amazing to see any single A hockey program compete with Hermantown in a High School hockey game. Especially after reading the above article. Hence some great single A hockey players from small towns across Minnesota nobody will ever hear about. Very, very impressive Greenway came this close. Unfortunate that the state of hockey won’t truly hear about the young kids on this Greenway squad.
Once Hermantown goes to AA it will not propel these two teams to state.
Its more about economics and resources.

MSHSL tried to 'fix' this with Tier 1 and 2. No one wants a tourney where it is just the bad teams. What MSHSL needs to do is find a system that correlates the supporting youth program to the high school program. And that is not going to happen.

Do not drink the Kool-Aid.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Maybe not, but it would have propelled Greenway to State last year and this year. A true Single A Program with 20 total Bantam Skaters that had a great group come through the cycle. That's what the A tournament was created for.

Yes, it's about Economics. Hermantown pulled in over $1.3 Million in Per Pupil State Aid from open-enrollment last year. Hockey is their biggest draw. They probably won't risk that by giving up the Automatic bid to State. Don't see them going AA.

MSHSL tried to 'fix' this with Tier 1 and 2. No one wants a tourney where it is just the bad teams. What MSHSL needs to do is find a system that correlates the supporting youth program to the high school program. And that is not going to happen.

Greenway and Hibbing both had top 5 Single A teams in the last 4 years. Hardly bad teams.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... ve-survive

Maybe not, but it would have propelled Greenway to State last year and this year. A true Single A Program with 20 total Bantam Skaters that had a great group come through the cycle. That's what the A tournament was created for.

Yes, it's about Economics. Hermantown pulled in over $1.3 Million in Per Pupil State Aid from open-enrollment last year. Hockey is their biggest draw. They probably won't risk that by giving up the Automatic bid to State. Don't see them going AA.

Greenway and Hibbing both had top 5 Single A teams in the last 4 years. Hardly bad teams.

Yes, everyone knows you hate Hermantown.
Yes, a lot of people would like to see Hermantown play AA.
BUT, the decision making power is in the hands of a few.
You make every thread about how bad ALL of Hermantown is because they play by the rules. You attack the kids for cryin' out loud.
We know, we knew before your rants, that Hermantown has certain advantages.

In Bemidji the kids chant we hate Moorhead. Well they put a good product on the ice (field - court). We know they have more resources then we do and yet when they move on from sections (we still 'hate' them) but we still cheer for them.

Give it a rest. You are getting old.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Once Hermantown goes to AA it will not propel these two teams to state.

You make every thread about how bad ALL of Hermantown is because they play by the rules. You attack the kids for cryin' out loud.

In Bemidji the kids chant we hate Moorhead. Well they put a good product on the ice (field - court). We know they have more resources then we do and yet when they move on from sections (we still 'hate' them) but we still cheer for them.

I don't hate Hermantown, I have many friends who live there. Where do you think I get all of my information? Show me where I have ever attacked a kid from anywhere. I didn't make this thread about Hermantown, someone else brought up Hermantown. Go back and read it again.

Saying I hate Hermantown is an effort to discredit the messenger and not that facts. It's a common cop-out from the debate because you took what I said personally. Never a good idea to make debates personal, accomplishes nothing. Focus on the facts and point out anything I said above that isn't true if you wish. Or you could just say you're done debating and I would respect that. I'll leave this thread to others now.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Once Hermantown goes to AA it will not propel these two teams to state.

=D>
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

"They don't want their kids to have to work or earn anything. Instead of preparing kids for the path in life, they would rather try to prepare the path. You saw the result in the State Tourney last year, they were all sleepwalking through it. "