State Tournament Seedings

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mnnstar

State Tournament Seedings

Post by Mnnstar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:09 am

I know it is early but I am curious how the seeding meeting works.
I went to the MSHSL website and this is all I found.
PROJECTED PAIRINGS:
Boys' Class AA/A:
A seeding meeting to determine state tournament pairings will be held on
the Saturday preceding the state
tournament. The participating coaches will seed teams 1-5 in their respective
tournament, and the remaining teams, will be determined by a blind draw
Obviously it is subjective; just curious what the meeting criteria is. Is it LSQ ranking?

Lace'emUp

Re: State Tournament Seedings

Post by Lace'emUp » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Mnnstar wrote:I know it is early but I am curious how the seeding meeting works.
I went to the MSHSL website and this is all I found.
PROJECTED PAIRINGS:
Boys' Class AA/A:
A seeding meeting to determine state tournament pairings will be held on
the Saturday preceding the state
tournament. The participating coaches will seed teams 1-5 in their respective
tournament, and the remaining teams, will be determined by a blind draw
Obviously it is subjective; just curious what the meeting criteria is. Is it LSQ ranking?
Below is the "Seeding Policy" from the Section 5AA 2017-18 Handbook. I would think the state tournament meeting would be similar to that noted below. If that is the case, then coaches can use any reasoning they want to rank/seed a team. However, note the 3rd form of seeding listed - Point System. Within that portion of the policy, the point system used can be found at minnestoa-scores.net, which is the QRF system. Whether coaches actually use it or not in the face-to-face meeting is still the question.

XIII SEEDING POLICY

When seeding for section tournaments at the discretion of the Region Committee the Section must adopt one of the following seeding systems. With either Face to Face or Electronic, there should be criteria established by which coaches are to rank the teams.

Face to Face: Coaches must meet at one location, share information and vote on the placement. This may be used when schools are located in close proximity to each other. When seeding face to face it is highly recommended that if the coaches’ vote, the high and the low is thrown out. If there is a tie, the first tie breaker is Head to Head competition. If that does not break the tie, a coin flip is used to break the tie. All rankings are shared so that all coaches can see how each school seeded each of the other schools.

Electronic: Coaches contact a meeting via conference call where they share information about their teams – or that information is shared electronically. Coaches then vote electronically by using the same system as used by the MSHSL for State Tournaments. Each coach ranks all of the schools in the section except their own. One high score and one low score is thrown out. Points are totaled and the lowest total is the seed, etc. If there is a tie, the first tie breaker is Head to Head competition. If that does not break the tie, a coin flip is used to break the tie. All rankings are shared so that all coaches can see how each school seeded each of the other schools.

Point System: All seeding may be conducted by the MSHSL point system. This point system will give a school points for victories based on the size of school of the opponent and the season record of the opponent – the point system automatically seeds the teams and will be found on the following website: minnestoa-scores.net. If there is a tie, the first tie breaker is Head to Head competition. If still tied, the next tie breaker is section winning percentage; followed by overall winning percentage. If still tied, a coin flip is used to break the tie.