Single A teams that could do damage at state.

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Single A teams that could do damage at state.

Post by elliott70 »

Based on the competitive games last year just about anyone may have a shot to do well.

The top two (arguably per section)

So...

Section 1 Albert Lea or Mankato East - hopefully get to consolation championship

Section 2 Orono or Mound - hopefully get to championship game, maybe win 3rd place game

Section 3 Luverne or Litchfield - same as section 1

Section 4 Mahtomedi or So St Paul - Maht would have shot, So St Paul perhaps third place

Section 5 Monticello or North Branch either to win a game.

Section 6 St Cloud Cathedral or Sartell both could get to the final

Section 7 Hermantown or Greenway both have a shot at it all.

Section 8 East Grand Forks or Warroad get to the final and see what happens.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

I know you are limiting your predictions to two teams per section, but I would add Minneapolis as a dark horse to come out of 2A and win a game or two at state. Minneapolis is inconsistent and had a rough stretch in the middle of the season, but also has some nice victories over Orono, Mahtomedi, and also Blake and St. Cloud on the AA level. So clearly they can play with some of the better teams in the state, but it’s just a matter of actually stringing together several good games in a row.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Cathedral needed a phantom 5 minute power play to beat Luverne, I think Luverne was up 4-1 at the time. Litchfield beat Delano and Hutch beat Orono. There are some bad losses in there as well but 3A teams have been competitive with some of your favorites.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

goldy313 wrote:Cathedral needed a phantom 5 minute power play to beat Luverne, I think Luverne was up 4-1 at the time. Litchfield beat Delano and Hutch beat Orono. There are some bad losses in there as well but 3A teams have been competitive with some of your favorites.
I generally agree with your sentiment. Section 5 is less likely to pull a first round upset, despite the Monticello Cinderella story last year.
knights58

Post by knights58 »

phantom 5 minute call for Cathedral to beat Luverne? right...right...it's on video and ref was right there so pretty legit. The game was close because Luverne played harder than Cathedral for the first period...from there, Cathedral took over. Cathedral took them lightly, which is an issue with a team starting 10 sophomores and freshmen. They play 10 times Luverne maybe wins one.
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

knights58 wrote:phantom 5 minute call for Cathedral to beat Luverne? right...right...it's on video and ref was right there so pretty legit. The game was close because Luverne played harder than Cathedral for the first period...from there, Cathedral took over. Cathedral took them lightly, which is an issue with a team starting 10 sophomores and freshmen. They play 10 times Luverne maybe wins one.
The ONLY people who "Took over" that game had Black and White stripes. Period.
knights58

Post by knights58 »

The guys in stripes took over.....right right....lame....again, they play 10 times, Luverne maybe wins one. What's their signature win this year? LDC?
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

knights58 wrote:The guys in stripes took over.....right right....lame....again, they play 10 times, Luverne maybe wins one. What's their signature win this year? LDC?
"Rearview mirror prognostics" are clouding your clarity and judgment. These are TEENS. One day they can do one thing, and the next a completely different, for NO apparent reason. I suppose you subscribe to the theory that "Deserved" has a place in HS Hockey as well? The reason why they don't let scholars like yourself sit back and plan the State Tournament teams is a simple known fact, by SOME at least, that you still have to play the games. And even then, the almighty upset will weed out her share. Cathedral is very talented... doesn't change the fact that they were getting their butts handed to them before the Intervention started late in the second period.
knights58

Post by knights58 »

whatever, hockey expert. I suppose it was the refs who cost them against Minnesota River????? two things oh super duper know it all of everything high school hockey, that game turned early in the second period and genius the major penalty took place in the 3rd period. Facts are funny things to those who’s sight is clouded by emotions. Go back to the “no respect” closet where you belong