First Section Tournament Game You Attended

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

First Section Tournament Game You Attended

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

With the section playoffs starting on Saturday I thought it would be fun to go down memory lane and post about the first Section Tourney game you attended.

For me it was in 1993 at the Hibbing Memorial Building. Section 7 semi-finals. Grand Rapids was upset by Duluth Denfeld 3-2 in OT that sunny and warm Saturday afternoon. Was really cool to see the mystique of that building and lots of memories there in the years to follow even though most of them were losses. I remember that the cheerleaders would make some sort of banner and hang it from a bridge that Rapids fans would see on the way to Hibbing, kinda built the excitement on the way over. Don't think back then I realized Semi-final Saturday would be my favorite day of the year every year.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

1975 - Grand Rapids vs Eveleth Section 7 final at Hibbing Memorial Building. Overload crowd. Both teams loaded with talent. Rapids 4-2 win on their way to title #1
gitter

Re: First Section Tournament Game You Attended

Post by gitter »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:With the section playoffs starting on Saturday I thought it would be fun to go down memory lane and post about the first Section Tourney game you attended.

For me it was in 1993 at the Hibbing Memorial Building. Section 7 semi-finals. Grand Rapids was upset by Duluth Denfeld 3-2 in OT that sunny and warm Saturday afternoon. Was really cool to see the mystique of that building and lots of memories there in the years to follow even though most of them were losses. I remember that the cheerleaders would make some sort of banner and hang it from a bridge that Rapids fans would see on the way to Hibbing, kinda built the excitement on the way over. Don't think back then I realized Semi-final Saturday would be my favorite day of the year every year.
Not to rain on your parade of fun memories...but GR was the 7 seed that year and upset a very good I-Falls team in the quarterfinals. which allowed them to then play 3rd seeded Denfeld in the semifinals.

Unless you mean 'upset' as you were upset that GR lost to Denfeld

:D
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

1991 7AA Final. East beat Cloquet in overtime, I forget if the final was 2-1 or 3-2. East went on to lose to Hill-Murray 5-3 in the championship game of the last single section/tier state tournament.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

I saw a couple of the great Moorhead vs Elk River battles in the 90s.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

What I can remember (maybe not the first but the one I remember), 1962
REGION 7 championship, Int'l. Falls and Coleraine (Greenway high school)
I think it was at the hippodrome in Eveleth but perhaps was in Hibbing (a great old building either way). My Dad took me, my sister went on the fan bus, I was too young. My older brothers were there, not sure how they got there. My mother and younger brother stayed home. Stopped in Orr on the way done and against my mother's admonishes I had a hamburger and fries and a COKE. Thanks, Dad.

I think my second favorite Bronco hockey player, Jim Amidon, scored the winning goal. The Broncos went to state and were the champions. My parents and sister went to the tourney. I had to stay home.

Great memory even if not 100% accurate.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

gitter wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:With the section playoffs starting on Saturday I thought it would be fun to go down memory lane and post about the first Section Tourney game you attended.

Not to rain on your parade of fun memories...but GR was the 7 seed that year and upset a very good I-Falls team in the quarterfinals. which allowed them to then play 3rd seeded Denfeld in the semifinals.

Sorry, you are wrong. 1992-93 season ended exactly as I stated. I was 11 years old and the pictures are still vivid in my mind. I was in Hibbing sitting in the orange painted section by the band. Rapids was wearing home whites. Graham Giesler was the goalie. Denfeld was the opponent.
Last edited by TheHockeyDJ on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Mite-dad wrote:I saw a couple of the great Moorhead vs Elk River battles in the 90s.
My favorite section game by far was witnessing the Spud-Elk 4OT thriller in 94 at the NHC.
gitter

Post by gitter »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
gitter wrote:

Sorry, you are wrong. 1992-93 season ended exactly as I stated.
One I was at Cloquet that year and two:

http://www.hmpioneers.net/hockey/playoffs.php?Year=1993
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Sorry I thought you meant GR lost to I falls in the quarters
jdh

First section tournament

Post by jdh »

Bemidji vs Roseau, Lumberjacks sliding through with a 5-4 win for their second trip to the State Tournament in 1973.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Traxler wrote:1991 7AA Final. East beat Cloquet in overtime, I forget if the final was 2-1 or 3-2. East went on to lose to Hill-Murray 5-3 in the championship game of the last single section/tier state tournament.
As I rethink this, was this Section 2 in 1991? Things were wonky back then…
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Traxler wrote:
Traxler wrote:1991 7AA Final. East beat Cloquet in overtime, I forget if the final was 2-1 or 3-2. East went on to lose to Hill-Murray 5-3 in the championship game of the last single section/tier state tournament.
As I rethink this, was this Section 2 in 1991? Things were wonky back then…
Yeah, Grand Rapids won Section 7 that season I'm fairly certain. I think 1991 was the year they beat Kennedy in the quarters before showing up hungover for the semi's and getting beat 11-0 or something by Hill Murray. Kinda of interesting it was possible for Rapids and East to meet in the state championship.
BP

Post by BP »

My first recollection was 4 section finals at the Met Center on a Friday and Saturday night in the mid 80's:

Friday was B'ville vs JM (Section 1) and Edina-Tonka (Section 6)
Saturday was Jeff-Kennedy (Section 5) and Hill-WBL (Section 3)

I then went every year. B'ville "ya mama" chants, tennis balls on the ice after a goal, both teams bands rocking it, classic uniforms by all 8 teams, building completely jammed - that's how you fall in love with MN HS Hockey for life.
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

1998 section 2A quarterfinal(Hermantown vs Chisago Lakes) at Hermantown. I was in 10th grade and in the Hermantown band. Hermantown easily beat Chisago. It was the year that marked the beginning of the Hawk's rise to one of the premiere progams in the state.
Last edited by hermantown2000 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Well elliott we cross paths again. My first memory is the 1962 Region 7 championship between Greenway and the Falls. The thought of Huffer Christianson still gets me upset. That little playmaker seemed to beat Greenway single handedly in that game and at State.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

1975 Section 2 semis down in the Cities--East beat Kellogg to advance to the section final at the Duluth Arena where we beat Cloquet.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

greenwayraider wrote:Well elliott we cross paths again. My first memory is the 1962 Region 7 championship between Greenway and the Falls. The thought of Huffer Christianson still gets me upset. That little playmaker seemed to beat Greenway single handedly in that game and at State.
Raiders had their own little rascal at the end of the decade.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

greenwayraider wrote:Well elliott we cross paths again. My first memory is the 1962 Region 7 championship between Greenway and the Falls. The thought of Huffer Christianson still gets me upset. That little playmaker seemed to beat Greenway single handedly in that game and at State.
Now everyone knows who the old guys are. :lol:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:1975 Section 2 semis down in the Cities--East beat Kellogg to advance to the section final at the Duluth Arena where we beat Cloquet.

Lee
Were you in your mid thirties at the time, at least old enough to buy a beer, could you drive yet, at least in elementary school?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote:
east hockey wrote:1975 Section 2 semis down in the Cities--East beat Kellogg to advance to the section final at the Duluth Arena where we beat Cloquet.

Lee
Were you in your mid thirties at the time, at least old enough to buy a beer, could you drive yet, at least in elementary school?
1. I'm not as old as you!
2. Not old enough--still bought
3. Just got my license that hockey season
4. Older than that!

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Lee
1. I'm not as old as you!
Well not by date of birth...

2. Not old enough--still bought
So you admit you are a criminal.
3. Just got my license that hockey season
At age 19?
4. Older than that!
Yes,of course (see 1. above)

Lee
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

mnmouth wrote:1975 - Grand Rapids vs Eveleth Section 7 final at Hibbing Memorial Building. Overload crowd. Both teams loaded with talent. Rapids 4-2 win on their way to title #1
I listened to that one on the radio. There was a ton of talent in that game including 2 future 1980 Olympians. ( 1 on each team)
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Close to elliott70's age, but if playing counts it would be the 1967 game between West St. Paul Sibley and White Bear Lake. Bear's won in triple overtime and I cried. :cry:

If playing does not equal attending then it would the 1974 final between Sibley and South St. Paul which my brother played in. The game was played at the old Civic Center before 12,500 people (they had to move it there from Wakota due to ticket demand). Don't remember the score, but Sibley won and advanced to State, where they eventually lost to Edina in the semi despite holding a 3-0 lead against them with less than 10 minutes to go! :evil:
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
mnmouth wrote:1975 - Grand Rapids vs Eveleth Section 7 final at Hibbing Memorial Building. Overload crowd. Both teams loaded with talent. Rapids 4-2 win on their way to title #1
I listened to that one on the radio. There was a ton of talent in that game including 2 future 1980 Olympians. ( 1 on each team)
Most people expected Virginia to be playing in that game after finishing 1st in the IRC that year. Rapids took them out 5-2 in the Semis, also at Hibbing, I believe