Kids breaking sticks over knee after a loss

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GottaloveHShockey

Kids breaking sticks over knee after a loss

Post by GottaloveHShockey »

I’ve seen this happen several times this year after a loss. Obviously very poor sportsmanship. Should there be the consequence for this or do you think it should be let go? Personally, if I were a coach I’d make my team skate in result of this because I’m not about that poor sportsmanship at all. What do you think?
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Why would you make the team skate for an individual act. Punish the individual.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Hold on here!
What kind of loss?

A blow out loss, yes poor sportsmanship.

A close loss or last minutes/second loss, that’s a passion and I will take that kid on my team any day.

A loss where no body shows up and your team just lets go, like no one cares?

I have broke more than enough sticks, to wake not the team up but myself also.

I kid that breaks his stick isn’t always a poor sport.
It’s a kid that also has a passion, care and heart for his team!
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
WarmUpTheBus

Re: Kids breaking sticks over knee after a loss

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

GottaloveHShockey wrote:I’ve seen this happen several times this year after a loss. Obviously very poor sportsmanship. Should there be the consequence for this or do you think it should be let go? Personally, if I were a coach I’d make my team skate in result of this because I’m not about that poor sportsmanship at all. What do you think?
Make the kid get a job and pay for his own sticks.
ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 »

If my kid did this I wouldn’t buy them a new stick. Sorry I don’t see any passion for the game in doing this only ones selfishness and/or showboating.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

GottaloveHShockey wrote:Should there be the consequence for this
No.
Be kind. Rewind.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

End of the season...no problem.

Random game where some kid (ANY kid) does that. Should be consequences. Skate ‘em, sit ‘em, make him pay for it, etc.

Game has been played for 100 years and that hasn’t been tolerated. Only reason it would ever be tolerated is if you choose to tolerate it. It’s a choice in almost 100% of the cases. That’s not “passion”. It’s bad behavior. If you let it go you are TEACHING it to be part of the game. It’s never been part of the game and never should be part of the game. Don’t teach poor behavior. Sports 101.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

ndirishfighting wrote:Hold on here!
What kind of loss?

A blow out loss, yes poor sportsmanship.

A close loss or last minutes/second loss, that’s a passion and I will take that kid on my team any day.

A loss where no body shows up and your team just lets go, like no one cares?

I have broke more than enough sticks, to wake not the team up but myself also.

I kid that breaks his stick isn’t always a poor sport.
It’s a kid that also has a passion, care and heart for his team!
If it’s a $250 stick & it’s my kid...he’s going to know better than smashing a perfectly good stick out of frustration. 😉 😲
GottaloveHShockey

Post by GottaloveHShockey »

I agree, I do not think it’s passion in any instance at all. I think it’s a reflection of bad character. There are many better ways to show your passion rather than snapping your stick over your knee. If that were my kid I, too, would tell them sign up for overtime hours to pay it off.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

GottaloveHShockey wrote:Should there be the consequence for this or do you think it should be let go?
The consequence is that my kid would have to buy his own stick. If he looks at me and asks for a new stick, I’d say, “Don’t even try me”. Without going too far off a tangent, it’s a teaching moment to accept the consequences from every action/decision.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
Yoopskater

Breaking sticks

Post by Yoopskater »

Show the passion during the game. Kids who do that have gotten away with tantrums all their life.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Maybe was at day 27 and stick was still under warranty. Appreciate the kids creativity in this case. :)
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Hand him the Sherwood and say go get em. If he complains, tell him to go buy a new one with his own money.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Maybe was at day 27 and stick was still under warranty. Appreciate the kids creativity in this case. :)
Now that I could (maybe) live with, but you still have to pay the UPS costs to ship the stick to east coast & back...about $30 bucks 😉☝️