6AA Final: Wayzata v. Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Trojans or Hornets?

Trojans
17%
Hornets
83%

Total votes: 24

gitter

6AA Final: Wayzata v. Edina

Post by gitter »

Wayzata has Edina's number in sections the last couple years...who takes it this year?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Edina is too good this year to be denied.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I'd say Edina, but with O'Leary's Wayzata teams you never know what to expect.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

The Trojans will try their best to Wayzata the game up and turn it into a snooze fest, but this year’s Edina team is too fast and skilled for that strategy to work for the whole game.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Last year wasn't a "huge" shock to me that Wayzata won. They only lost 1-0 in the last regular season game & it seemed clear that they had a blueprint on how to win: be physical, play with a lead, keep the score low. Obviously getting the goalie game of the year from Waz helped in everything, but they scored early, built confidence, and got Edina to get frustrated. Plus with their experience, it wasn't a super shock.

This year, however, I will admit that I will be shocked if Edina loses. They're more experienced this year, which will help. They've probably had this game circled on their calendar since last year's loss. Plus, I think Edina's just flat out better. They don't have just multiple lines....they have multiple scoring lines. They have more talent on the back end, and they have the best player on the ice (Walker).

One thing Wayzata has that helps them is some guys with experience & they won't be intimidated by Edina, which is something I always thought happened to Burnsville in their section final games against Edina. But I think it will take a goaltender performance that outdoes last years plus some other things to go the Trojans' way for Wayzata to pull off the upset this year.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Edina 5 Wayzata 2 (en) Edina will have to shart themselves (with the talented team they have this year) to lose in the Final.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Edina should win. However, I do like the senior group for Wayzata. The first half of first period will dictate weather it's an Edina four goal victory or nail biting time for the Hornets. I'm afraid the game may get ugly as Wayzata will play uber physical as that and good goal tending has been recipe in past years. Can Brinkman play a good game this year when they need him to be a poised leader? Does Edina have a goalie that will stop over 75% of the shots? I hope it's a close game. GB
CakeScout17

Can we wiretap O'Leary ?

Post by CakeScout17 »

while practicing at PIC? See what the strategy will be versus the Hornet?
Same as last two years - 'no breaky, no fixy'? or deploy something else?
Doesn't matter...right Curt?
Wayzata was better overall team last year although their record doesn't show it - they had better team chemistry and believe in what O'Leary preaches - its 'all about Sections'. Regular season records, rankings, hype mean nothing. Its about RINGS. These Wayzata seniors know that...theyre long, play hard and will frustrate Edina. It will be closer than last couple of contests this year. Course an unreal goalie performance sure helped them last two years as well - got to give credit where its due - the Trojan rose to the occasion at the right time.
Wong is playing well, but Prior Lake is not Edina. However, STLP is not Wayzata...not in late February anyway.
It will be tight. Team that scores first will probably win...Smells like Cake to me but might be 4-3 or or 3-2. Very close. All about the precious 3rd period in the end...Cretin out skated Wayzata in 3rd period this last Saturday and if not for solid Wong effort Cretin would be preparing for the Hornet. Wayzata with about 10-12 min left in 3rd look gassed and very heavy-legged. No offensive punch at all. Thats recipe for Sammy and the boys to feast...
I feel like BB17 is key - if he's solid in his own zone, doesn't force the play and avoids the sloppy T/O? The others follow and play crisp. When BB17 gets off his game? The others follow...Message to rest of boys is this - step on the gas and NEVER LET UP. Be who you are and rise above the chippy play (Wayzata's North is one to watch for this...) that is sure to come to try and bait you in to their game and dumb penalties.
I'm rambling...so I'll stop.
State of Hockey should root for the Hornet - if they want a better state tourney for all - just sayin.
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

I saw someone said on twitter these games are almost sold out. I find that hard to believe, but don’t want to drive up there if they are actually sold out.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

GopherHockey wrote:I saw someone said on twitter these games are almost sold out. I find that hard to believe, but don’t want to drive up there if they are actually sold out.
Is someone reputable?

I haven't seen any mention of advance sale so that seems unlikely.
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

This file says plenty of seats available. Box office has not opened.

https://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/upload/MSHS ... inals.docx
Be kind. Rewind.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

GopherHockey wrote:I saw someone said on twitter these games are almost sold out. I find that hard to believe, but don’t want to drive up there if they are actually sold out.
Maybe one of the schools is sold out of their allotment that was given to them, but I would find it very hard to believe that it's sold out, considering the past few years.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Deekay scores screened 5 hole on the game’s first SOG. 1-0
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Gentle Ben. PP 2-0
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Rare third line goal for Edina. Borst bangs home Swanson’s rebound. 3-0
Be kind. Rewind.
DaddysMoney

Post by DaddysMoney »

3-0 after one. Sounds like Edina's speed/skill is overwhelming the dick-bags.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Never say Nevers, on the hookup from Jett. 4-0
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Schmidt at the game’s midpoint. 4-1
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Jett PP 5-1
Be kind. Rewind.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

6-1. Shot came from point. Vorlicky
Be kind. Rewind.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Clearly not sold out
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

A total of 7 goals scored so far through two periods, and 6 of them have been unassisted? Is that possible? :roll:
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Jett PP 7-1
Be kind. Rewind.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Well, Minnetonka and Holy Family won't be running too far behind the scheduled 8 pm start.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

alcloseshaver wrote:Clearly not sold out
How do you know? I haven't seen any photos at the MN Hockey Hub blog and State of Hockey is only broadcasting audio. Thanks.