AA Official Seeds

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
hockey59 wrote:Amazing to realize Edina put EVERY team in the Lake conf on running time (at one point this season) goes 26-2, advances to State and is NOT the #1 seed. But that’s what happens when...the only team you lost to (twice) was another Lake conf team. 🤗 I’m really looking forward to the likely match up of Edina vs DE...think it could rival the BSM vs Edina semifinal from 2008. And STA has something to prove IMO against a dangerous Cougar! 😉
Minnetonka is a lot tougher matchup for Edina than Duluth East.
How would you know that the 2 teams (Cake vs. Hounds) have not played each other.
Check their 2017-2018 regular season & Section games. Edina cake wasn’t on that he schedule, Tonka cake was (for DE) Now they could have scrimmaged? Maybe, but doubt it. Even though Curt played at UMD and Mike is a icon at DE...rumor has it they aren’t exactly fishing buddies 😉😲
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well said 59! You being so much younger and better looking than me, thanks for having my back!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Northwoods...

Several epic matchups between Randolph and Giles. Always pretty close. 2015, 2013,2011 just in recent memory I think. Karl has verified in the past, that East is the only team in the state that has a winning record against Hornets in the winners bracket. So there you go...
HornetsFan

Post by HornetsFan »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Westy, you are forgetting how the great Randini completely out coached Giles last time these 2 met at Xcel with a very lean lineup.
State is a clean slate expect a dandy if the 2 make semi's

I got no horse in the race and love the match ups!!
Hard to call it outcoaching when Edina was missing their best player that game (Malmquist out w/ lower body injury) ;)

How lucky would we be to have these two teams meet in the semi's this year... going to be a great weekend of hockey!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:That's a bit of an assumption as the Cake and Hounds have not played each other in 2018.
It is an informed opinion. I've seen the better teams in Minnesota play a lot this season.

Did not see - Lakeville North
6 - Minnetonka
4 - St. Thomas Academy
1 - Hill-Murray
2 - Centennial
12 or 13 Edina
2 - Duluth East
once last summer at Braemar - St. Michael-Albertville

The game plan to defeat Edina this year seems to be cross your fingers and hope they have lackadaisical lapses where the defense turns the puck over onto the tape of your best player. It worked for Centennial, White Bear Lake, and Minnetonka.

Skippers are the only team capable of beating Edina on a day the Hornets play well.

Not a lot of attention has been given to how well Edina's goaltending has been for over a month.

If you ask me, it is a huge assumption on the part of many that Duluth East can give Edina a game. Very little scoring beyond one line, and most of the goals on that line are scored by one guy.

Anyone is beatable. All that said, if Edina plays well next week watch out. As Karl indicated a month ago this is a team capable of burying all three opponents at state.
Be kind. Rewind.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

O-townClown wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:That's a bit of an assumption as the Cake and Hounds have not played each other in 2018.
It is an informed opinion. I've seen the better teams in Minnesota play a lot this season.

6 - Minnetonka
4 - St. Thomas Academy
1 - Hill-Murray
2 - Centennial
12 or 13 Edina
2 - Duluth East

The game plan to defeat Edina this year seems to be cross your fingers and hope they have lackadaisical lapses where the defense turns the puck over onto the tape of your best player. It worked for Centennial, White Bear Lake, and Minnetonka.

Skippers are the only team capable of beating Edina on a day the Hornets play well.

Not a lot of attention has been given to how well Edina's goaltending has been for over a month.

If you ask me, it is a huge assumption on the part of many that Duluth East can give Edina a game. Very little scoring beyond one line, and most of the goals on that line are scored by one guy.

Anyone is beatable. All that said, if Edina plays well next week watch out. As Karl indicated a month ago this is a team capable of burying all three opponents at state.
That’s simply not what happened when Tonka beat Edina at Ridder. At least that night, they were clearly the better team (I was there) Was also there When Hornets put Tonka on running time at Braemar, and when Tonka edged Hornets at Pagel. If they meet, it will be a hell of a final. Both still have a lot of work ahead. And if they meet (I’ve seen DE 6-7 times, they WILL give Edina a game, count on it.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

hockey59 wrote: That’s simply not what happened when Tonka beat Edina at Ridder. At least that night, they were clearly the better team (I was there) Was also there When Hornets put Tonka on running time at Braemar, and when Tonka edged Hornets at Pagel. If they meet, it will be a hell of a final. Both still have a lot of work ahead. And if they meet (I’ve seen DE 6-7 times, they WILL give Edina a game, count on it.

Edina had a 2-1 lead late in the first at Ridder, then went on the power play. In his own end, BB17 lazied a lofted backhand pass that was knocked down (pretty sure it was Molenaar) who walked in to score when the goalie was caught off guard. It was a big turn.

Minnetonka absolutely dominated the second period. Edina had maybe 4 shots for the entire period, three coming on one shift. Third period was even up, but by then the game was out of reach. (Compare "one bad period" from Edina to how other teams have multiple games forgiven...a complete double standard.)

Had Edina scored on the PP the lead would have been 3-1 and the game takes a much different turn. The description I gave is PRECISELY what happened in that one. Third Edina-Minnetonka game was different.

Minnetonka is the only team capable of beating Edina on a day they play well. So let's focus on how someone else is going to take down the Hornets. It'll come down to traps, good goaltending, and - guess what - capitalizing on the turnovers from Edina's defense. If they make them.

The reverence for Mike Randolph-led teams is fine, but at what point are people going to give Curt Giles one-tenth of the credit?

2007-15
9 state tournament appearances in 9 years
3 titles
1 runner-up
1 third place
2 consolation
2 trips no hardware

Wayzata with O'Leary as coach was supposed to be the Hornets' bugaboo, or so the story went all season. The Wayzata Way by playing O'Leary's style would certainly give Edina a good game. It was over midway through the first.

I think Edina only had four games where they didn't win by 3 goals or more. Maybe there was a 5th late.

You are selling Edina way short.
Be kind. Rewind.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WestMetro wrote:Northwoods...

Several epic matchups between Randolph and Giles. Always pretty close. 2015, 2013,2011 just in recent memory I think. Karl has verified in the past, that East is the only team in the state that has a winning record against Hornets in the winners bracket. So there you go...
That is why they pay you guys the big bucks. You boys don't miss a beat! :lol:
northwoods oldtimer

O-townClown wrote:

6 - Minnetonka
4 - St. Thomas Academy
1 - Hill-Murray
2 - Centennial
12 or 13 Edina
2 - Duluth East

Transitive property of equality does not work in hockey its been pretty well proven over many years of ice hockey. Glad you got out to see some games and teams this season as you saw a lot of very good teams.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

O-townClown wrote:
hockey59 wrote: That’s simply not what happened when Tonka beat Edina at Ridder. At least that night, they were clearly the better team (I was there) Was also there When Hornets put Tonka on running time at Braemar, and when Tonka edged Hornets at Pagel. If they meet, it will be a hell of a final. Both still have a lot of work ahead. And if they meet (I’ve seen DE 6-7 times, they WILL give Edina a game, count on it.

Edina had a 2-1 lead late in the first at Ridder, then went on the power play. In his own end, BB17 lazied a lofted backhand pass that was knocked down (pretty sure it was Molenaar) who walked in to score when the goalie was caught off guard. It was a big turn.

Minnetonka absolutely dominated the second period. Edina had maybe 4 shots for the entire period, three coming on one shift. Third period was even up, but by then the game was out of reach. (Compare "one bad period" from Edina to how other teams have multiple games forgiven...a complete double standard.)

Had Edina scored on the PP the lead would have been 3-1 and the game takes a much different turn. The description I gave is PRECISELY what happened in that one. Third Edina-Minnetonka game was different.

Minnetonka is the only team capable of beating Edina on a day they play well. So let's focus on how someone else is going to take down the Hornets. It'll come down to traps, good goaltending, and - guess what - capitalizing on the turnovers from Edina's defense. If they make them.

The reverence for Mike Randolph-led teams is fine, but at what point are people going to give Curt Giles one-tenth of the credit?

2007-15
9 state tournament appearances in 9 years
3 titles
1 runner-up
1 third place
2 consolation
2 trips no hardware

Wayzata with O'Leary as coach was supposed to be the Hornets' bugaboo, or so the story went all season. The Wayzata Way by playing O'Leary's style would certainly give Edina a good game. It was over midway through the first.

I think Edina only had four games where they didn't win by 3 goals or more. Maybe there was a 5th late.

You are selling Edina way short.
My youngest son was a senior on Anoka’s 2016 team...accordingly, I have no dog in the fight. I’ll stipulate that when they are firing on all cylinders, Edina is the most talented team in the field. But I think you’re over simplying it if you believe Edina simply has to avoid getting sloppy (and or lazy)..and the Title is THEIRS for the taking. And you may be in for a rude awakening around 9:30pm Friday night (regarding the Hounds & Hornets) 😭 And I have AMPLE respect for Giles, I’ve followed his career since we (both) attended UMD in the late 70’s, Curt was great player, great guy, & now a great coach! But c’mon, with the talent he’s had at his disposal during his years at Edina...I’m pretty sure (even I ) could have coached them to at least one title 😉😳😲🤣 All kidding aside...Friday night is going to AWESOME!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Lots deserved talk bout Tonka, East and Edina, but let’s not forget that a hot goalie can change everything, just look at the Section finals; and the best goalie in the tournament is Atticus Kelly from STA !!!!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

hockey59 wrote:And I have AMPLE respect for Giles, I’ve followed his career since we (both) attended UMD in the late 70’s, Curt was great player, great guy, & now a great coach! But c’mon, with the talent he’s had at his disposal during his years at Edina...I’m pretty sure (even I ) could have coached them to at least one title 😉😳😲🤣
There is no question players win games. Mike Krzyzewski had one dog year and chose to sit it out by scheduling surgery. It was his chance to win games with a lesser team. I hear ya' on Giles. Or Saterdalen or Ikola. Even Randolph. His best teams had great players. Nobody seems to find a way to consistently win with inferior players.
Be kind. Rewind.
northwoods oldtimer

WestMetro wrote:Lots deserved talk bout Tonka, East and Edina, but let’s not forget that a hot goalie can change everything, just look at the Section finals; and the best goalie in the tournament is Atticus Kelly from STA !!!!
Good observation Westy! Have we had a state tournament where a goalie has not stole a game to advance his team? I cannot recall.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

hockey59 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Good prediction last nite 59!

Agree with your comments today. The random draw things is a myth. They just seed the whole thing by final LPH poll.

Yes the Edina /East game will be great Friday night, Edina might be smelling weakness after the Andover game.
The point West Metro & I agree on is...since they started seeding 1-5 & random drawn 6-8 a number of years ago, the random draw has more often than not, produced pairings that closely mimick the LPH or even more accurately, Karl’s rankings. When this happens over a course of several years, logically & mathematically, it certainly appears the drawn is more like “quasi” Random 😲. That’s all WM & I are alluding too...do we have actual proof...no.🤗 But if it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck...maybe...😳😎
OK, but what would be the point of rigging the random draw? Who is advantaged by it? No one is going to play the Little Sisters of the Poor. You do get to play a lesser team, but eventually you need to beat someone. I don't think Tonka or Edina care much who they play between the 3 unseeded teams.

The point of seeding was so that the better teams wouldn't meet in the first round, which used to happen.Beyond that it doesn't much matter.

So again, what's the motivation for the crime? I haven't heard one.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

They obviously don’t agree with the random draw , and the point is they think the full seeding pairings makes for a fairer and better trny

Again, I’m not saying I disagree , but then just get rid of the random draw wording in the mshsl Trny rules
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote:They obviously don’t agree with the random draw , and the point is they think the full seeding pairings makes for a fairer and better trny

Again, I’m not saying I disagree , but then just get rid of the random draw wording in the mshsl Trny rules
BINGO
East Side Pioneer Guy

WestMetro wrote:They obviously don’t agree with the random draw , and the point is they think the full seeding pairings makes for a fairer and better trny

My point is they say there is a conspiracy. What does anyone gain by it? Why would there be one?

I don't care one way or another if it's seeded 1-8 or 1-5. My point is they say there is a conspiracy. What does anyone gain by it?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

This article states unequivocally that random draw is still used for the 6-8 teams. Really amazing probabilities that it keeps working out to the lph rankings , but I guess that’s the case

http://m.startribune.com/boys-hockey-to ... 475752283/
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote:This article states unequivocally that random draw is still used for the 6-8 teams. Really amazing probabilities that it keeps working out to the lph rankings , but I guess that’s the case

Yeah, if the Star Tribune says it is...it’s so...😉 😲. At least a certain fella from the east side of the metro’s... mind will be at ease now...Whew! ☝️
East Side Pioneer Guy

hockey59 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:This article states unequivocally that random draw is still used for the 6-8 teams. Really amazing probabilities that it keeps working out to the lph rankings , but I guess that’s the case

Yeah, if the Star Tribune says it is...it’s so...😉 😲. At least a certain fella from the east side of the metro’s... mind will be at ease now...Whew! ☝️
Heh heh. I assure you my mind is at ease; what with the Pioneers (annoyingly) back at the X with nothing to lose. But this article will not quiet the skeptics who are unable to provide a motivation for MSHSL seeding shenanigans. They will remain ill at ease.

I don't recall the name of it off hand, but opinion researchers have determined that when confronted with evidence that they is no basis for their beliefs, most people will actually double down on their beliefs. Strange but true.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

Heh heh. I assure you my mind is at ease; what with the Pioneers (annoyingly) back at the X with nothing to lose. But this article will not quiet the skeptics who are unable to provide a motivation for MSHSL seeding shenanigans. They will remain ill at ease.

I don't recall the name of it off hand, but opinion researchers have determined that when confronted with evidence that they is no basis for their beliefs, most people will actually double down on their beliefs. Strange but true.
The evidence is called MATH. But let’s just move on, your insistance that a CONSPIRACY has to be occurring...for the officials (to play) with the numbers a bit to get the 1-8 matchups to correlate with State Rankings...yeah your correct, ZERO CHANCE of that happening 😉😳. My God, it’s just an opinion...it’s not that big of a deal...😎
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

If it is truly random the odds of drawing the #1 seed would be 1 in 3, the odds of it happening 2 years in a row would be 1 in 9, and so on. If you are section 3A and you drew the #1 seed 5 times in 6 years you might not believe it is a random draw.

I don't know what there is to gain by rigging the draw but if you are from 3A the math doesn't really work out for it being truly random. (of course this year 3A didn't get the #1 seed)

I would like to see the MSHSL put in a rule that keeps conference teams from playing each other in the first round.
East Side Pioneer Guy

goldy313 wrote:If it is truly random the odds of drawing the #1 seed would be 1 in 3, the odds of it happening 2 years in a row would be 1 in 9, and so on. If you are section 3A and you drew the #1 seed 5 times in 6 years you might not believe it is a random draw.

I don't know what there is to gain by rigging the draw but if you are from 3A the math doesn't really work out for it being truly random. (of course this year 3A didn't get the #1 seed)

I would like to see the MSHSL put in a rule that keeps conference teams from playing each other in the first round.
Who cares about conferences? A Conference is a voluntary organization of schools, and are, for the most part, not directly creatures of the MSHSL. I think it's stupid the way MLB won't let the wild card team play the #1 team if they are from the same division. Lowest seed draws highest seed. If HM had managed the #5 seed, would STA get an easier draw by getting an unseeded team? Would HM play #3 instead of #4? Switching unseeded teams may not matter much, but I don't see the problem anyway.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree with 59 and Goldy, the math probabilities are unbelievable.

But cant believe MSHSL would feed David LaVaque a direct lie for his article.

If it happens again next year, then..........?????????
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
goldy313 wrote:If it is truly random the odds of drawing the #1 seed would be 1 in 3, the odds of it happening 2 years in a row would be 1 in 9, and so on. If you are section 3A and you drew the #1 seed 5 times in 6 years you might not believe it is a random draw.

Who cares about conferences? A Conference is a voluntary organization of schools, and are, for the most part, not directly creatures of the MSHSL. I think it's stupid the way MLB won't let the wild card team play the #1 team if they are from the same division. Lowest seed draws highest seed. If HM had managed the #5 seed, would STA get an easier draw by getting an unseeded team? Would HM play #3 instead of #4? Switching unseeded teams may not matter much, but I don't see the problem anyway.
That MLB thing is no longer a rule since they went to 2 wild-cards: divisional opponents can meet now

And agreed: conferences should have no bearing on the tournament draw