YHH HS Hockey Podcast: State Tourney Preview

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

YHH HS Hockey Podcast: State Tourney Preview

Post by karl(east) » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:24 am

In this week's edition:

-Favorite moments from sections
-We walk through the brackets, A and AA
-Karl and Danny go down the rabbit hole looking at some historical records
-Danny may or may not be excited for the Tourney
-Karl does not sound like the biggest East homer of the three of us

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... _id=967184

Thanks for listening!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Liked the show! Well done boys!

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Danny alluding to STA hanging a Schwan's Gold banner...was the comedic highlight of the podcast! :lol:

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:29 pm

A lot of time devoted to pick ems this week, but they provided some really good insight into pretty much every team in the tournament. I know guys are "hoping" for a top 4 semifinal Friday, but I always love cheering for an underdog story or two!

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 pm

YHH interviews numerous players before state:
https://www.youtube.com/user/YouthHockeyHub/videos

sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 pm

who are the the kids to watch for this year in the tourney? are there any kids who will single handedly take over a game like, a kid like kloos or mittelstadt?

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:19 pm

sterfry9 wrote:who are the the kids to watch for this year in the tourney? are there any kids who will single handedly take over a game like, a kid like kloos or mittelstadt?
Edina's Sammy Walker can take over a game---speedy Sammy can put up points in a hurry. There are other Mr. Hockey finalists in the state field too, but Sammy is in a league of his own.

eazy98

Post by eazy98 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:39 pm

A few players to watch in the AA games.

Edina
Sammy Walker (#10) - As previously mentioned, he's the best player in the state. Electric speed with all of the other tools.
Ben Brinkman (#17) - A do it all D-man. He'll play lock down D, rush the puck up ice, jump into the rush, or flatten guys in the corners.
Demetrius Koumountiz (#23) - Anchor of the talented 2nd line. Nice shot, creates space, has a little edge.
Jett Jungels (#22) - 1st liner with Walker. Scores a lot. Going to Northern Michigan.
Mike Vorlicky (#20) - Anchor on the 2nd pair of D. Solid all around game.
Mason Nevers (#18) - 55 points and plays on the top line with Walker and Jungels. Unnoticed but in the right places all the time.
Lewis Crosby (#11) - Nice compliment to Koumoutiz on the 2nd line. 33 points.

Lakeville North
Garret Daly (#16) - Best player on the team. Do it all D-man. Will play with lots of physicality when needed.
Blake Brandt (#7) and Spencer Schneider (#14) - Nice duo on the top line. Schneider has a little more pop and flash to his game. Brandt gets to the tough areas and makes things happen.

Duluth East
- Other people on here can tell you way more about these guys than me. The WMD 1st line is where it all starts.
Garrett Worth (#5) - Scores goals and provides high end offense. Fun. 38 regular season goals.
Ian Mageau (#23) and Ryder Donovan (#22) - The other portions of the WMD line. They have lots of points. Others can fill in their strengths.
Luke LaMaster (#25) - High end D-man. 35 points regular season points.

STMA - Haven't seen them play.

Minnetonka
- Bobby Brink (#9) - The most fun to watch. Forward committed to Denver. Does everything well.
- Josh Luedtke (#3) - Anchor on the back end. Creates offense and plays solid D.
- Bayless (#29), Molenaar (#10), Loheit (#8) are also nice players. Haven't seen them enough to know the detail.

Hill-Murray
- Ben Helgeson (#9) - Best player on the team. Big forward.
- Nick Pierre (#11) - 8th grader that has been scoring a lot since entering the lineup in late January.

St. Thomas
- Payton Matsui (#14) - Fast and creates chances with that speed.
- Ray Christy (#15) and Rob Christy (#11) - Brother who each rack up the points.
- Chase Foley (#17) - Scoring D-man. Moves the puck well.

Centennial
- Lucas McGregor (#11) - He's the main attraction and scores almost at will.

It's a start.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:07 pm

eazy98 wrote:A few players to watch in the AA games.
Thanks for the list! Looking forward to watching these guys on the stream.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:18 pm

eazy98 wrote:A few players to watch in the AA games.

Edina
Sammy Walker (#10) - As previously mentioned, he's the best player in the state. Electric speed with all of the other tools.

Mason Nevers (#18) - 55 points and plays on the top line with Walker and Jungels. Unnoticed but in the right places all the time.
I like your description of Walker's "electric speed" which is why I think he's most dangerous. He almost single-handedly brought back Edina in their third game with Tonka.

As a Tonka fan, I agree Bobby Brink is most fun to watch (and a dangerous combo with Jack Bayless). I'd put Joe Molenaar in the "unnoticed" category in the same way as Nevers. He's not really unnoticed (familiar hockey name?), but I don't think he's committed anywhere yet as a senior and somewhat overshadowed by teammates. I'm not a hockey expert, just watching from afar but I've watched numerous Tonka games online and he's a scorer and a sniper. He also put up five goals in an Elite League championship, playing with Walker.

http://www.hselitehockey.com/news/fifth ... the-winner
Last edited by JerseyDave on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:40 pm

I have a preview here with players to watch and numbers: https://apatientcycle.com/2018/03/04/st ... view-2018/

These descriptions are the same as the ones in the threads on this forum for the quarterfinal games.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:28 am

Easy88

Deekay does create space, but he plays in traffic. Thrives there and seeks it out, then uses his superior skating techniques to protect the puck and make plays. Kenny Wu would be proud.

I know you know all this because you’ve obviously seen him play. Only pointing this out as clarification for someone who may not. He’s one of a kind. You’ll never see another Deekay.

Contrast to Walker. He’s so fast he just takes space. Blows by people. Fun to watch and also effective, nothing alike.

Can’t wait to watch Daly.

Last shoutout. You won’t notice Reiners, but he’s awfully good and a perfect player on this team. Steady. Solid.
Be kind. Rewind.

eazy98

Post by eazy98 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 am

O-townClown wrote:Easy88

Deekay does create space, but he plays in traffic. Thrives there and seeks it out, then uses his superior skating techniques to protect the puck and make plays. Kenny Wu would be proud.

I know you know all this because you’ve obviously seen him play. Only pointing this out as clarification for someone who may not. He’s one of a kind. You’ll never see another Deekay.
Very true on thriving in traffic. I call it his flipper move. He'll circle the top of the zone pushing off/changing direction with one foot. He passes out of this position when he sees and opening or will break to the net. It's effective.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 am

Contrast to Walker. He’s so fast he just takes space. Blows by people. Fun to watch and also effective, nothing alike.

Last shoutout. You won’t notice Reiners, but he’s awfully good and a perfect player on this team. Steady. Solid.
I’ve seen DK play several times & he’s shifty and creative. Needs to work on situational awareness though, like up 7-1 on EP in the 3rd period, after throwing a huge open ice hit earlier in the game, he skated down the left side through the neutral zone & then toe dragged a defender to the middle, beautiful move, right up to the point where Jack Jensen, coming on the ice on line change, had him lined up & when he tie dragged to the middle...obliterated DK with an open ice hit (which didn’t draw a penalty) and left DK wobbling to the bench & not returning to the game.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:42 am

The Star-Tribune Hockey Hub's Fab 50 Players in the Tourney
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/894569

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm

hockey59 wrote:

I’ve seen DK play several times & he’s shifty and creative. Needs to work on situational awareness though, like up 7-1 on EP in the 3rd period, after throwing a huge open ice hit earlier in the game, he skated down the left side through the neutral zone & then toe dragged a defender to the middle, beautiful move, right up to the point where Jack Jensen, coming on the ice on line change, had him lined up & when he tie dragged to the middle...obliterated DK with an open ice hit (which didn’t draw a penalty) and left DK wobbling to the bench & not returning to the game.
Just for the record, Jensen was penalized for the hit. It just wasn’t assessed right away - not until DK got to the bench and officials conversed amongst themselves that a penalty was called. Jensen essentially didn’t serve any time since it was running time, and the penalty clock was running during official/coach exchanges at each bench. I didn’t get a good look at the hit to see if it was a charge. I don’t believe there was contact to the head.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy