AA QF: Hill-Murray vs. #1 Minnetonka

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Pioneers
24%
Skippers
76%

Total votes: 25

karl(east)

AA QF: Hill-Murray vs. #1 Minnetonka

Post by karl(east) » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 am

HILL-MURRAY VS. #1 MINNETONKA
-Another battle of two heavy hitters in Minnesota hockey, and a rematch of a 2010 4-overtime classic won by the Skippers; Hill also beat Tonka in the 2006 quarters. Minnetonka won a regular season game 4-2 in December, while Hill leads the all-time series 11-7-1.

Hill-Murray (13-11-4, #20, 2-seed in 4AA
State appearances: 29 (2 in a row)
Championships: 3 (1983, 1991, 2008)
Key section win: 3-1 over #6 White Bear Lake
-Despite a losing regular season, the Pioneers came on strong toward the end, and their upset of White Bear Lake was no stunner. The late season call-up of eighth grader Nick Pierre (11) catalyzed the offense, but he’s just one of a number of very young players with bright futures here. Junior Ben Helgeson (9) and senior Michael Fleischhacker (15) are the veteran leaders, and sophomore Charlie Strobel (27) brings a familiar Hill-Murray name. Like most good Hill teams, they have a couple of veterans leading the way on the blue line in Brett Oberle (19) and Joey Petronack (12), while Matthew Fleischhacker (14) is a freshman standout. If this group continues to play the disciplined hockey we’ve come to expect out of Bill Lechner-coached teams in the playoffs, they’ll be a tough out. They come in with a five-game losing streak in Tourney play.

Minnetonka (24-2-2, #1, 1-seed in 2AA)
State appearances: 6 (first since 2010)
Key section wins: 4-1 over #23 Chaska, 5-4 (2OT) vs #6 Holy Family
-The Skippers claim the top seed with two wins in three games against Edina, and put forth a team with no real weaknesses as they pursue their first state title. They roll three quality lines, and distribute their top forwards to create balance. Sophomore Bobby Brink (9) and junior Jack Bayless (29) pace the offense, while Mr. Hockey finalist Luke Loheit (8) brings a heavy game and will be matched against other teams’ top lines. Joe Molenaar (10) and Teddy Lagerback (34) round out the leading scorers. Josh Luedtke (3) and Grant Docter (2) are both dynamic defensemen, while Charlie Glockner (1) is one of the stronger goalies in the state when he’s on his game. This group won back-to-back Bantam state titles, and will now aim to deliver on its promise under first-year head coach Sean Goldsworthy.
Last edited by karl(east) on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:33 pm

From the Green perspective, there are only two positives here. One is an experienced coach vs. a first time tournament coach. (Am i right on that? Class A tourney doesn't count - isn't the big stage.) Second, Hill's got nothing to lose and can play loose. As long as it's not a blow out, and it could get ugly during the 3rd, they're playing with house money.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:43 pm

From the way the regular season went and what I saw at Mariucci the other night, this was the best draw HM could get. They don't have the horses to play with Tonka if the Skippers choose to play a disciplined game and attack with their depth. But shaky goaltending could cost the Skippers (if it is anywhere near as bad as Wed night). I still think Tonka wins easily, but I've seen stranger things. I didn't think HM could beat WBL either.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Agree on HM coaching advantage which also translates to kids nerves or steadiness. I was amazed the discipline the young Pioneer team showed Friday nite. And energy level kept up all the way thru the 3rd.

If I were Tonka coach, Id be a little worried about #1 goalie tending at Mariucci, and be thinking about rostering up all 3 goalies instead of two at the X.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:25 pm

KSTP's state tourney preview of Tonka (interview w/coach and players):

http://kstp.com/sports/minnetonka-skipp ... w/4813470/

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:12 am

Tonka 4 HM 1 Tonka Just has too much speed, skill & depth for a really young HM team...that is playing its best hockey of the year. The key will be HM playing well in the 1st period (to keep it close) Credit needs to be given to one hell of a team in (Holy Family) pushing Tonka to the abyss of defeat...certainly the best team to fall short of State (in heartbreaking fashion) these past 2 years.

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:06 am

hockey59 wrote:Tonka 4 HM 1 Tonka Just has too much speed, skill & depth for a really young HM team...that is playing its best hockey of the year. The key will be HM playing well in the 1st period (to keep it close) Credit needs to be given to one hell of a team in (Holy Family) pushing Tonka to the abyss of defeat...certainly the best team to fall short of State (in heartbreaking fashion) these past 2 years.
I am going to disagree on that last statement. I don't think that was even Holy Family's best team to not make state in the last two years.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:05 pm

green4 wrote:
hockey59 wrote:Tonka 4 HM 1 Tonka Just has too much speed, skill & depth for a really young HM team...that is playing its best hockey of the year. The key will be HM playing well in the 1st period (to keep it close) Credit needs to be given to one hell of a team in (Holy Family) pushing Tonka to the abyss of defeat...certainly the best team to fall short of State (in heartbreaking fashion) these past 2 years.
I am going to disagree on that last statement. I don't think that was even Holy Family's best team to not make state in the last two years.
Green4, I think you misunderstood my statement, or I didn’t word it well enough. To clarify, HF’s team last year was better than this years. But they ran into the EP Mittelstadt’s & Leivermann’s. I also think EP’s team in 2016 was superior to their 2017 team & the tougher State Tourney loss to swallow (for EP fans)...but that’s just speculation...both were tough.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 pm

i think I would take the 2016 EP team over 2017 too. Perhaps the biggest difference between the 2016 and 2017 rosters was loss of Michael Graham.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 pm

Free game audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEvDQ33CrT8

Tied up at 1 with 12 minutes remaining in the first period.

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Looking like Barry Switzer and the skippers are gonna hang half a hundred on em

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:57 pm

hockey59 wrote:Tonka 4 HM 1 Tonka Just has too much speed, skill & depth for a really young HM team...that is playing its best hockey of the year. The key will be HM playing well in the 1st period (to keep it close)
Good prediction so far.

UPDATE: Prediction still holding up. 5-2 after second period. Tonka's fast start in the first period is hurting HM.

FINAL: 6-2 Tonka, HM couldn't recover from the early blitz and couldn't take advantage of PP opportunities

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:09 pm

I know the score is more important than shots, but in no aspect other than score was that HF Tonka game close. About everything wrong that could have happened for Tonka that night did, and they still won. HF was a solid team this year, but I’d say Andover and Cretin we’re far superior teams to not make state (Cretin as evidence by their 10-1 shalacking of HF in regular season).

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
I know the score is more important than shots, but in no aspect other than score was that HF Tonka game close. About everything wrong that could have happened for Tonka that night did, and they still won. HF was a solid team this year, but I’d say Andover and Cretin we’re far superior teams to not make state (Cretin as evidence by their 10-1 shalacking of HF in regular season).
Yeah...and I REALLY LIKE this Tonka team...but if a certain D from HF (whose number I won’t mention) simply takes his right skate and drags the puck against the boards, rather than trying to play it from his stick to his skate & fails to execute, 34 for Tonka is not likely to dislodge the puck within a few seconds (rather than almost instantly) and then center the puck, which somehow squirts threw to # 3 for Tonka, who shoots, it gets blocked near the net & 34 then prys the rebound loose and into the net with 3.4 seconds in regulation, Tonka LOSES!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Came away from this game wondering why Tonka didn’t get 3-4 more goals.
Although I saw Brink and a few others skating the puck around so much trying to kill time in the third period, I wonder if they didn’t have instructions to take the foot off the gas even though it was a little too early for my comfort level

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:27 pm

hockey59 wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Yeah...and I REALLY LIKE this Tonka team...but if a certain D from HF (whose number I won’t mention) simply takes his right skate and drags the puck against the boards, rather than trying to play it from his stick to his skate & fails to execute, 34 for Tonka is not likely to dislodge the puck within a few seconds (rather than almost instantly) and then center the puck, which somehow squirts threw to # 3 for Tonka, who shoots, it gets blocked near the net & 34 then prys the rebound loose and into the net with 3.4 seconds in regulation, Tonka LOSES!
Very true. Given the situation at the end, Tonka was lucky to get out of it.