What in the world just happened to the Hermantown Hawks?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
defense wrote:Hermantown just played their first AA playoff game. Alex is for all intents and purposes a AA program youth on up to HS. They were a late hold out to go to class A.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Alexandria to AA in two years. My two cents.
I was wondering about that today watching the game. Have not been to Alexandria for over a decade but thought that town was pretty good sized population to be a single A team.
Currently the smallest “true” AA team by enrollment is St. Louis Park at 1,240. Mahtomedi and Alexandria are at 1,136 and 1,120, respectively. So they are two of the larger Class A schools. Alex was previously AA in enrollment from 1993 to 2005, but the growth of exurban schools, I and opening of some new ones, pushed them back down to the A level.

That said, the two schools would have to jump over a few fast growing ones, such as Sartell and Northfield, to reach the AA level for enrollment.
Thanks for the information. So they are essentially Rapids size. but don't opt up. I think there hockey program is growing so maybe in a few years they will take a shot at the AA level. Hope to see em up some year soon. Nice team

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:10 pm

Who does Alex Co-op with in hockey?

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 pm

rainier2 wrote:
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:The whining about Hermantown will stop but the whining won’t stop. People will find someone else to whine about. Who has a good A program? Mahtomedi maybe? EGF has some decent teams coming up so maybe them? It won’t stop.
If one of those teams goes to 10 straight title games and three years without a loss to a single A team, then yes, the "whining" will continue.
Kind of sounds like we may have found one already in Alex. If so that didn’t take long. Like I said never ending cycle.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:30 pm

defense wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
defense wrote:Hermantown just played their first AA playoff game. Alex is for all intents and purposes a AA program youth on up to HS. They were a late hold out to go to class A.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Alexandria to AA in two years. My two cents.
I was wondering about that today watching the game. Have not been to Alexandria for over a decade but thought that town was pretty good sized population to be a single A team.
Currently the smallest “true” AA team by enrollment is St. Louis Park at 1,240. Mahtomedi and Alexandria are at 1,136 and 1,120, respectively. So they are two of the larger Class A schools. Alex was previously AA in enrollment from 1993 to 2005, but the growth of exurban schools, I and opening of some new ones, pushed them back down to the A level.

That said, the two schools would have to jump over a few fast growing ones, such as Sartell and Northfield, to reach the AA level for enrollment.
Alex should opt up. I don't care if their enrollment is on one side or the other. Their program is big and strong. They should be proud. And I think they will be proud.
They’ve been to four state tournaments (not counting the Tier II one), with this being their third at the A level, and you’re calling for them to opt up? Geez man, let’s just enjoy this run and see how the Cardinals fare tomorrow. They hadn’t even won a game in the Class A tourney until this year.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 pm

WendyClark wrote:Who does Alex Co-op with in hockey?
No one. It is just called Alexandria Area HS due to the large physical size of the district.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:34 pm

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
rainier2 wrote:
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:The whining about Hermantown will stop but the whining won’t stop. People will find someone else to whine about. Who has a good A program? Mahtomedi maybe? EGF has some decent teams coming up so maybe them? It won’t stop.
If one of those teams goes to 10 straight title games and three years without a loss to a single A team, then yes, the "whining" will continue.
Kind of sounds like we may have found one already in Alex. If so that didn’t take long. Like I said never ending cycle.
Feel free to not read the "whining" posts. That's one way you could avoid it.

defense

Post by defense » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
defense wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:

Alex should opt up. I don't care if their enrollment is on one side or the other. Their program is big and strong. They should be proud. And I think they will be proud.
They’ve been to four state tournaments (not counting the Tier II one), with this being their third at the A level, and you’re calling for them to opt up? Geez man, let’s just enjoy this run and see how the Cardinals fare tomorrow. They hadn’t even won a game in the Class A tourney until this year.
Let's just talk the stature of the program. Should be proud they are that substantial. Not whining, and I don't really care what they do. Just saying take a stock of the program once. AA caliber.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Just to clarify. Alexandria is not AA at youth level. They play A hockey all the way up. They do schedule some AA games and tournaments, but they are A. To say that they should opt up during the first year of any success at state is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, the are one of the bigger A teams in terms of enrollment, but c'mon man. Let them enjoy it a bit before going down that road. There are at least 4 schools that should opt up before Alex.

Time to take a shot at Moorhead though. They dropped Alex off their schedule this year. They were happy to schedule Alex when it was a 4 goal drubbing. But beat them and tie them and they run away. How did that work out for you spuds? I root for them over the city schools, but still am a bit salty over them bailing on the schedule.

StarsHockey

Post by StarsHockey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 am

Hermantown is a joke. Refer to hermantown thread. Thanks in advance

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:56 am

zooomx wrote:Just to clarify. Alexandria is not AA at youth level. They play A hockey all the way up. They do schedule some AA games and tournaments, but they are A. To say that they should opt up during the first year of any success at state is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, the are one of the bigger A teams in terms of enrollment, but c'mon man. Let them enjoy it a bit before going down that road. There are at least 4 schools that should opt up before Alex.

Time to take a shot at Moorhead though. They dropped Alex off their schedule this year. They were happy to schedule Alex when it was a 4 goal drubbing. But beat them and tie them and they run away. How did that work out for you spuds? I root for them over the city schools, but still am a bit salty over them bailing on the schedule.
No one said they shouldn't enjoy, and by all means win today. And enjoy that and hang that banner with pride win or lose today. And celebrate it. But Alexandria is a AA caliber program. Same as Hibbing, same as Hermantown. Ultimate success be damned. Enrollment be damned. Youth level of play be damned. And no there is no whining about it, they may do what they chose. But I would love to see them in AA. Off the top of my head they played for the 8AA championship in 02 and 03. Jumped in 05?? I think. Yeah, they were sure being run over. In the days before youth hockey went to A and AS, Alexandria was regularly a power in D15 with Moorhead, Brainerd, Fergus Falls from time to time, Detroit Lakes.. Just because Minnesota hockey chose to go this way doesn't change the fact that at least three out of four teams playing today ( I know nothing of orono) could compete in AA. Alex rolled 3 lines and 6 D all year I heard. That statement says it all. Alex hockey is kind of a model program in their area.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:02 am

defense wrote:
zooomx wrote:Just to clarify. Alexandria is not AA at youth level. They play A hockey all the way up. They do schedule some AA games and tournaments, but they are A. To say that they should opt up during the first year of any success at state is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, the are one of the bigger A teams in terms of enrollment, but c'mon man. Let them enjoy it a bit before going down that road. There are at least 4 schools that should opt up before Alex.

No one said they shouldn't enjoy, and by all means win today. And enjoy that and hang that banner with pride win or lose today. And celebrate it. But Alexandria is a AA caliber program. Same as Hibbing, same as Hermantown. Ultimate success be damned. Enrollment be damned. Youth level of play be damned. And no there is no whining about it, they may do what they chose. But I would love to see them in AA. Off the top of my head they played for the 8AA championship in 02 and 03. Jumped in 05?? I think. Yeah, they were sure being run over. In the days before youth hockey went to A and AS, Alexandria was regularly a power in D15 with Moorhead, Brainerd, Fergus Falls from time to time, Detroit Lakes.. Just because Minnesota hockey chose to go this way doesn't change the fact that at least three out of four teams playing today ( I know nothing of orono) could compete in AA. Alex rolled 3 lines and 6 D all year I heard. That statement says it all. Alex hockey is kind of a model program in their area.
:!: :!:
Good luck today to Alexandria area nice to have an outstate program doing a good job growing the game of hockey.

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am

That is correct oldtimer!! Alexandria would become the first state champion from the area A or AA. Guarantee hockey fans from all over d15 land will be behind the Cards... love em or hate em otherwise haha haha. I bet they bring a load of people too

BobSaget

Post by BobSaget » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:09 am

In my opinion, yesterday's game between Alexandria and Hermantown was a spitting image of the Alexandria/Cathedral game just a week prior, and pretty similar to the East/Edina game last night as well. Don't take anything away from Alexandria, this team is not a bunch of benders mucking it up and icing it the whole game. That said, they were probably less talented than the opposition, but far more willing to play the type of game necessary to win in the playoffs. Talented teams playing disciplined hockey are dangerous.

I guess I don't know how next year looks for Class A as a whole, but I do know that Section 6A will be even better represented next year. Alexandria and Cathedral each lose their top D, but both teams return practically everyone else.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:29 am

As others have noted, Hermantown was vulnerable this year. Anyone who shut down their top line was going to have a very good shot. Obviously, that's easier said than done, but sure enough, a team figured out how to do it, and sure enough, they won. The second line, not Watkins-Biondi-Herter, scored their lone goal. That's a real credit to Alexandria and the Doherty-Westlund line, which was matched with them often. And, of course, Powell stole the show yesterday too.

I also thought the Hawks really rode that top line to death in the 3rd period. I get it, they're the stars and you turn to them in a big situation, that's never an ideal formula. Even Grand Rapids last year got better minutes out of its lower lines. If there's a critique to be leveled at the Hawks, it's here. But they've been toying with fire in a lot of their recent playoff games against quality Class A competition, and sooner or later it was going to come back and bite them. But, the future is obviously bright for the Hawks, and while they'll miss Watkins in particular, they have a ton of talent coming up.

But right now, it's all about Alexandria. Congrats to the Cards on a great game plan and execution, and not clamming up when they had a late lead against the Hawks, as a few others have done. Should be a fun title game, and we'll crown a first-time champion this afternoon.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:42 am

So we know Hermantown hadn't lost to a Class A team since the 2015 title game, and they hadn't lost in the quarters or semis of the A tourney since 2009, but, does anyone know the last time they lost by 5 or more goals?

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:25 am

The thing with Alex is to see what the North Star Christian Academy does to the program. They have made it known that they will play at the AAA level. Will kods in thenprogram bolt over there with the lure of more games?

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:53 am

rainier2 wrote:So we know Hermantown hadn't lost to a Class A team since the 2015 title game, and they hadn't lost in the quarters or semis of the A tourney since 2009, but, does anyone know the last time they lost by 5 or more goals?
To a Class AA school: 6-1 vs Wayzata (11/29/13)
To a Class A school: 8-2 vs Lake of the Woods (12/27/03)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:55 am

rainier2 wrote:So we know Hermantown hadn't lost to a Class A team since the 2015 title game, and they hadn't lost in the quarters or semis of the A tourney since 2009, but, does anyone know the last time they lost by 5 or more goals?
Of course there are two ENG in there.

But on a better note, its nice to see ORONO and ALEX going at it.

go Cards!

Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:55 am

So, the thought process seems to be that if an A sized school builds up their program to be successful against programs their size, their reward is that they need to jump a class and start over again at the bottom? Doesn’t make sense to me. A school of 1000 students trying to compete against the big boys is at a huge disadvantage. If the lesser programs that can’t seem to compete at the A level should lobby for a third class instead of engaging in class warfare against the programs who are successful.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:57 am

Hermantown bounces back with a 4-0 zip game for third which everyone thought would be the ship game.

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Yoopskater wrote:So, the thought process seems to be that if an A sized school builds up their program to be successful against programs their size, their reward is that they need to jump a class and start over again at the bottom? Doesn’t make sense to me. A school of 1000 students trying to compete against the big boys is at a huge disadvantage. If the lesser programs that can’t seem to compete at the A level should lobby for a third class instead of engaging in class warfare against the programs who are successful.
Interesting yet, no. Alexandria hockey has been AA caliber since for as long as anyone here cares to remember. If they stay in A, fine. But they are AA caliber.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 pm

It will be nice to see a youth hockey single A team win the high school single A championship.

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:34 pm

kniven wrote:It will be nice to see a youth hockey single A team win the high school single A championship.
True. But. Where were you the last 2 years? Or however long the two class system has been around ??

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:40 pm

I’m just glad when a school that has a youth program wins !

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:49 pm

zooomx wrote:Time to take a shot at Moorhead though. They dropped Alex off their schedule this year. They were happy to schedule Alex when it was a 4 goal drubbing. But beat them and tie them and they run away. How did that work out for you spuds? I root for them over the city schools, but still am a bit salty over them bailing on the schedule.
Are you seriously implying Moorhead dropped Alexandria from their schedule because they were afraid to play them? I don’t know Moorheads schedule real well personally but taking a quick glance it looks like they added Wayzata, Lakeville North, St Thomas Academy and Centennial to the schedule this year. From a distance.....that looks a lot more like jumping into the fire than running from it doesn't it?