AA Championship Game: #3 Duluth East vs. #1 Minnetonka

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Duluth East
47%
Minnetonka
53%

Total votes: 32

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

alcloseshaver wrote:
east hockey wrote:Not East's night.

Lee
Oh well, not my decade...Al
Not White Bear's century. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Anyone check on Karl's status?
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

A turned skate isn't necessarily grounds for disallowing a goal. It has more to do with a distinct kicking motion, which I didn't see happen.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

ryguyMN wrote:A turned skate isn't necessarily grounds for disallowing a goal. It has more to do with a distinct kicking motion, which I didn't see happen.
That's also how I remember the rule.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

north_bear wrote:
ryguyMN wrote:A turned skate isn't necessarily grounds for disallowing a goal. It has more to do with a distinct kicking motion, which I didn't see happen.
That's also how I remember the rule.
That is the rule and skate never moved toward the net to direct the puck.

Tonka took more penalties than normal and that's their fault but DE didn't take advantage of their chances. Tonka seemed to win most of the puck battles as well and seemed to be a step quicker when it counted.

Two very good teams and this time Tonka came out on top.
tezer13

Post by tezer13 »

Great game. Two great teams. Fun game to watch - would have been more fun if East could have hit some open nets :(

If those two teams played 10 times my guess is it would be 5-5.

Congrats Tonka - very happy for you to win your first title.

Now I have to deliver a dollar to my Tonka bud - dang it.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

tezer13 wrote:Great game. Two great teams. Fun game to watch - would have been more fun if East could have hit some open nets :(

If those two teams played 10 times my guess is it would be 5-5.

Congrats Tonka - very happy for you to win your first title.

Now I have to deliver a dollar to my Tonka bud - dang it.
For some reason that exchange in the movie Trading Places just came to mind.

"I won"

"I lost. One dollar"

"Thank you, Louis"

:mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

It just wasn't WMD's night to shine. 22 had some jump in his step but for the most part 5 and 23 were non factors in the biggest game, most likely due to the grinding game against Edina. Fatigue factor hurt number 5 the hardest as he is key to East offensive success. That line logged tons of minutes Friday. We are all human and its tough for that body to recover even at 17 and 18.
East second line was on fire and poor number 8 had so many chances clang off the pipe (was it 3 if I recall?). Great game for an outsider to watch. Would have been nice to see a section 7AA team win it back to back. Just was not in the cards tonight (missed opportunity after missed opportunity) and thats the harsh lesson this game teaches us all.

Congrats to the Skippers watched that group win Bantams back in 2015. They are a very good team. Elliot, lumberjacks could have used Bobby Brink.

Side note: this is second year in a row that the Bantam AA champions group has followed up with a HS state title. Should that trend continue in 2019 it will Minnetonka hoisting the trophy once again in March of 2019. Followed by White Bear Lake in 2020.

You can come off the ledge now Zach Halvorson :lol:
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

green4

Post by green4 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:It just wasn't WMD's night to shine. 22 had some jump in his step but for the most part 5 and 23 were non factors in the biggest game, most likely due to the grinding game against Edina. Fatigue factor hurt number 5 the hardest as he is key to East offensive success. That line logged tons of minutes Friday. We are all human and its tough for that body to recover even at 17 and 18.
East second line was on fire and poor number 8 had so many chances clang off the pipe (was it 3 if I recall?). Great game for an outsider to watch. Would have been nice to see a section 7AA team win it back to back. Just was not in the cards tonight (missed opportunity after missed opportunity) and thats the harsh lesson this game teaches us all.

Congrats to the Skippers watched that group win Bantams back in 2015. They are a very good team. Elliot, lumberjacks could have used Bobby Brink.

Side note: this is second year in a row that the Bantam AA champions group has followed up with a HS state title. Should that trend continue in 2019 it will Minnetonka hoisting the trophy once again in March of 2019. Followed by White Bear Lake in 2020.

You can come off the ledge now Zach Halvorson :lol:
If Tonka brings all their juniors and sophomores they would be favorites yet again I would imagine.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree with that Green4
GottaloveHShockey

Post by GottaloveHShockey »

Great tournament! First round games, MEH, but after that it was all solid hockey! Happy to see Tonka take home their first title! As said above, the game was just not going Duluth East’s way.

Also, a bit back people were giving me a little bit of a hard time for putting Bobby Brink in the top 5 players of the state. Doubt many people would disagree now! Kid was the buzz of the state tourney. Every where I’d go people were talking about how crafty, talented & amazing he is. He’s a work of art on ice.

All things aside, Tonka as a team did an awesome job making their way to the title! Great job!! Go Tonka!! \:D/
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

GottaLove

You were not alone!

WestMetro
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018

Yes Tonka has many similarities to Edina re game plan. But Hounds will have to contend with one thing that is very unique. A kid by the name of Bobby Brink. 200 foot player with skills in every aspect of the game. Breakaway scoring threat obviously. But more frequently, battling in the corners on the forecheck to recapture the puck, or battling someone bigger in the low slot to maintain position for the quick shot in congestion or the tip. Picks his passes patiently. Smart disrupting things in Dzone, and looking for breakout. Gets most faceoffs. Absolutely relentless on whole shift. Has a strong leadership presence on ice even though only a sophomore. Could go on and on. Course , the hounds saw him already at Tonka this year, so they know he is the whole package.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

While I still think it’s arguable regarding Bobby Brink being top 5 in the State...I agree he’s clearly top 10! 😉💪. The more you watch him play, the more you LOVE HIM as a hockey player! My thought on the key to Tonka’s 1st Title...which my son first observed during the Tonka game vs Edina at Ridder, was how well the top 4 Tonka D, not just Luedtke & Docter, but Hicks & his partner too (5 & 20) almost effortlessly handled the puck. Accordingly, I think Tonka, not Edina or DE...was the hardest team to pin in their own zone on the forecheck. And while Loheit, Elder & Molenaar were pretty much the only relatively tall, Power Forward type players on Tonka, it goes to show that if your skilled & creative enough & gritty enough, lack of size can to overcome on the way to a AA Title. Also think Tonka was the most creative & best team at passing & puck control. Edina was the most offensively explosive team, NOT even close & DE had the best combination (of being) a skilled, heavy team playing a structured style. Any of these 3 teams could have been State Champions this season based on the fickle will of the Hockey Gods. BUT...this was Minnetonka’s year...CONGRATS to a worthy CHAMPION!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

east hockey wrote:
CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:
east hockey wrote: Yeah, they'd only be six runner-ups short. :mrgreen:

Lee
Well if my counting skills are accurate, East has now lost 6 title games after tonight's loss. Are the Hounds trying to be better than the Spuds at winning AND losing state title games? Only 2 more losses and they tie Moorhead, Lee!
Nah. Moorhead with zero titles trumps all. Oh, Hill-Murray has eight losses, also.

Lee
Did I hear right that Randolph has been to 9 championships with only two wins.?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

hockey59 wrote:My God...Hunter Paine is a tripping & (Penalty drawing) hockey playing machine tonight 😉
Is this the same player that had to be helped off the ice twice? only to return to the ice for his next shift?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

That was quite a game. Only the 2nd championship game I have ever attended. The few guys I was with plan to make it an annual. How the puck didn't end up in the net a few more times still blows our minds today. It's incredible how quickly a seemingly golden opportunity can turn into a quick transition the other way. Stuff happens fast out there.

Another cool thing we saw was after 1st period in concession area a girl taking a few pics with some other college age kids. She had a gold medal. We probably should have went over and gave her high fives and congrats. Another good memory for a few old geezers.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Excellent points 59, upon further review, clarifying that probably top 10 better describes, but any way you look at it he was the difference maker last night which is what I was trying to predict before Saturdays game . I would like to see stats , I bet he was only the ice 30+ minutes?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Side note: this is second year in a row that the Bantam AA champions group has followed up with a HS state title. Should that trend continue in 2019 it will Minnetonka hoisting the trophy once again in March of 2019. Followed by White Bear Lake in 2020.
Don’t get the hopes of the poor Bears fans up like that, since we already know how that story will end!

On the A side, Orono won the 2015 and 2016 Bantam championships, so they could follow a similar pattern as Tonka.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote:Excellent points 59, upon further review, clarifying that probably top 10 better describes, but any way you look at it he was the difference maker last night which is what I was trying to predict before Saturdays game . I would like to see stats , I bet he was only the ice 30+ minutes?
Bobby was amazing...Glockner shut the door.. Luedtke & Docter played last night like the best D tandem in AA hockey! Bobby had the key tying (1st) goal in the Title game & the pivotal (short handed) go ahead goal against the Cougars...quite a clutch performance by the sophomore star 👍
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

hockey59 wrote:Bobby had the key tying (1st) goal in the Title game & the pivotal (short handed) go ahead goal against the Cougars...quite a clutch performance by the sophomore star 👍
Brink is so much fun to watch, I sure hope he's not done at Tonka. I'll predict he'll come back because so many of his teammates are returning, they'll go for the repeat (like the back-to-back bantam titles). He also has at least younger brother (Henri) who also plays hockey so hopefully he wants to stay close to home with his family instead of joining the USHL.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Stang5280 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Side note: this is second year in a row that the Bantam AA champions group has followed up with a HS state title. Should that trend continue in 2019 it will Minnetonka hoisting the trophy once again in March of 2019. Followed by White Bear Lake in 2020.
Don’t get the hopes of the poor Bears fans up like that, since we already know how that story will end!

On the A side, Orono won the 2015 and 2016 Bantam championships, so they could follow a similar pattern as Tonka.
I'm pulling for those hard luck Bear fans to come through in 2020!
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

WestMetro wrote:Excellent points 59, upon further review, clarifying that probably top 10 better describes, but any way you look at it he was the difference maker last night which is what I was trying to predict before Saturdays game . I would like to see stats , I bet he was only the ice 30+ minutes?
Here's the championship game box score, but it doesn't show player minutes:
http://mshsl.org/mshsl/showgameinfo.asp?game=1105300
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Youtube guy recaps the state finals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3RcQ6pfv3s
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Another cool thing we saw was after 1st period in concession area a girl taking a few pics with some other college age kids. She had a gold medal. We probably should have went over and gave her high fives and congrats. Another good memory for a few old geezers.
I think it was the goalie of the USA women's Olympic gold medal team, who held off the Canadians in the shootout to end the game:
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760