Another hockey hair video (Hockey is Life)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JerseyDave

Another hockey hair video (Hockey is Life)

Post by JerseyDave »

Hockey is Life studio hosts rank the flow from the state tourney introductions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5VmBc08gU
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

I, for one, is personally "tired" from this whole hockey hair bit . It was cute the first couple years but lately it has gotten pretty stale. I wish the kids would come up with something new or better yet just skate to the blue line and say hi mom. No wait...Hi dad...That would be fresh. Give the old man some love

If not, I'm taking all bets that in the next year or so we will see wigs, curling irons and portable hair blowers brought out onto the ice..

Until this hockey hair grandstand has run it's course, I'll be cheering for St Thomas. Kids there still appreciate a good haircut.
:D
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

I am afraid with the winner this year we are going to see the same thing on the girls side. But maybe that was the point. Seems like sponsors have taken over.
yesiplayedhockey

I get why it exists. Clicks equal money

I've just chosen to stay away from watching any of it

Funny thing is you rarely see the top kids worried about stuff like this. Back in July when some kids are boycotting haircuts, the top kids are out in the driveway shooting pucks, working out and pretending they are in the championship game coming down on a breakaway with 5 seconds left in the game
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

yesiplayedhockey wrote:I, for one, is personally "tired" from this whole hockey hair bit . It was cute the first couple years but lately it has gotten pretty stale. I wish the kids would come up with something new or better yet just skate to the blue line and say hi mom. No wait...Hi dad...That would be fresh. Give the old man some love

If not, I'm taking all bets that in the next year or so we will see wigs, curling irons and portable hair blowers brought out onto the ice..

Until this hockey hair grandstand has run it's course, I'll be cheering for St Thomas. Kids there still appreciate a good haircut.
:D
I agree, it's gotten completely ridiculous. I saw one kid skate out to the camera, remove his pony tail and throw his head back so all of his hair fell out. That kid would have been punched in the face when I played. I agree that it was refreshing to see the STA kids. They actually looked like respectable young men. Not sure when or why that went out of style.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Perhaps it's not as fresh as it was but it's still fun. From this year's video I love the mention of Boeser with this line:

"There's not a barber in the state of Minnesota that doesn't know Brock beats scissors"

Quality.
yesiplayedhockey

I just saw that part of the proceeds of this actually go to charity

As a result, I need to change my stance on this and I certainly hope the charity makes a ton of money.

Now don't get me started on how bad Celly celebrations have gotten over the past few years. I can't find anywhere there's a charity benefiting from an all-celly team.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

yesiplayedhockey wrote:Now don't get me started on how bad Celly celebrations have gotten over the past few years. I can't find anywhere there's a charity benefiting from an all-celly team.
You know how after scoring a goal players will go over to their bench and give everyone high fives? Nothing wrong with it, but I've often wondered, are there any teams left out there, at any level, that don't do this?

Back in the stone age when I played, after scoring a goal and lifting your arms up, you'd just go back to center ice and take your position for the next faceoff (assuming your coach is not switching lines). Anyway I thought it would be refreshing, and different, to see this again. Maybe some day....
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
yesiplayedhockey wrote:Now don't get me started on how bad Celly celebrations have gotten over the past few years. I can't find anywhere there's a charity benefiting from an all-celly team.
You know how after scoring a goal players will go over to their bench and give everyone high fives? Nothing wrong with it, but I've often wondered, are there any teams left out there, at any level, that don't do this?

Back in the stone age when I played, after scoring a goal and lifting your arms up, you'd just go back to center ice and take your position for the next faceoff (assuming your coach is not switching lines). Anyway I thought it would be refreshing, and different, to see this again. Maybe some day....
Dave Esse didn't allow his Cloquet teams to do the bench high fives and he didn't allow personal, look at me cellys. I really wish there were more coaches like that.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Jeffy95 wrote: Dave Esse didn't allow his Cloquet teams to do the bench high fives and he didn't allow personal, look at me cellys. I really wish there were more coaches like that.
I blame Dino Ciccarelli for starting it all.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I blame the Minnetonka Coaches' dad.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

GoldenBear wrote:I blame the Minnetonka Coaches' dad.
I love quoting myself: I do miss the shuffle though, as Luke would say: "that should be grandfathered in"
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

MNHockeyFan wrote:

Honestly, this is a predominately Minnesota thing. Other areas of the country the players, more or less, do not do a fly-by of the bench. Mostly just a group celebration of the players on the ice and return to center ice for the face-off.

As to the all-hair team, let the kids have some fun, it's for charity, and it brings some pub to the state tournament. NBCSN even covered the video between periods of an NHL game the other night and threw out some pub about how great the MN State Tournament is. Can't be a bad thing.