Don Lucia

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:44 pm

Also mix in the fact that when the U plays at Duluth or Nodak you can't get it on TV in a huge part of the Gopher viewing area. That blows my mind.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:54 pm

Every game should be on FSN. Seriously, BTN can air the other schools.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:07 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:Every game should be on FSN. Seriously, BTN can air the other schools.
Even the Wild are on FSN+ when there's a conflict with the Wolves. Also occasionally on NBCSN. As for BTN, it has a much wider reach than FSN, so I don't see it as a problem.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:16 pm

NM

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:57 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:Some of your points are right on but please remember

1. Gopher hockey has to compete against the Wild now in terms of money and attention. That is not easy....Again free tickets for the students. There is no good reason why they shouldn't get free tickets. I heard that the previous AD who was fired required hockey tickets to be bought in conjunction with football tickets. If that is the case then we made the right decision to fire that clown. The student section is the key to bring energy back to the arena

2. We need a process to take back season tickets for long standing absentee. I had season tickets for 8 years and I remember the 4 seats in front of me sat vacant for 90 percent of the games

3. Sell beer...Simply put, it's time

4. Shrink the ice....Again...it's time

5. Get UND on the schedule every year..Figure that out. Can't be that tough

6. Get the right people on board who can work their magic with the Big 10 on the many many scheduling and tv issues they have..

7. Hire the best coach...I don't care if he went to Crookston community college..But don't hire a snake oil salesman the like football team tried years ago

8. Get hockey associations to every game. No reason 10-15 youth teams couldn't be at each home game.

9. Get better at recruiting the right 20 kids not the 20 best.

10. Get better in the PR and social media business. Fake Don Lucia was awesome and even Lucia got a kick out him. He was fair, he wasn't mean and he, in his own little weird way, represented gopher hockey in a positive fun way
Shrinking the ice is easier said than done. It would have to be lowered several feet. All of the entrances to the ice would have to be lowered, i.e. locker room entrances, Zamboni entrance. I'm guessing it would result in pretty extensive modifications in the refrigeration system. I'm sure it's quite expensive. On the plus side it would add several hundred seats if they ever fill the place up again.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Mite-dad wrote:The questions I have are, was he getting the right kids (he seems to get the most hyped from MN every year)? Are the kids spoiled to the point they don't know how to muck and grind? Was Don not capable of getting the kids to work their tails off? Would a different coach have done better with what kids he's gotten?
:idea:

Agree. 80% of their roster lives within 8 miles of each other..

*Some great talent in that small area, but an obvious need to expand their range.. I see a positive - new look Gophers coming.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Lots of good comments here. I think we're seeing echoes that so many of the complaints were just hollow gripes. Now that Lucia is gone those go away and we have to see substance in order to take this complaints or gripes seriously.

I remember when the national soccer team finally went to Klinsman after passing on him the time before. He was out a few years later. It really wasn't Klinsman they wanted, they just want to see American soccer transition to the elite level with Brazil and Germany. Much easier said than done.

Funny comment about fans showing up by getting North Dakota on the schedule every year. The reason I laugh is they do play next season....in Las Vegas!

Hard to believe in this day and age people can't figure out which channel the games are on if they really do want to watch. My mom is 81 and she is always pumped in the morning for whatever game she plans on watching that night. She checks the newspaper for the sports listings and writes it down so she can find it on her cable system. Tonight it was Gonzaga that had her attention. I guess not all are as resourceful.
Be kind. Rewind.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 pm

http://www.citypages.com/news/how-don-l ... /477582963

Just a shame people could feel this way. For any faults "The Don" may have had you can't say he wasn't a good coach. You don't make it that long anywhere without knowing what you're doing. There is much more to the recruiting process than the writer could possibly know. It's almost like some guy who coached in the USHL and nobody would hire him for a D1 job is the root of the mudslinging?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:18 pm

I see the U is paying Don his full salary! Don’t blame Don, but the U is great at spending taxpayers dollars ! I guess they aren’t really accountable to anyone?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:29 pm

highgloveside wrote:http://www.citypages.com/news/how-don-l ... /477582963

Just a shame people could feel this way. For any faults "The Don" may have had you can't say he wasn't a good coach. You don't make it that long anywhere without knowing what you're doing. There is much more to the recruiting process than the writer could possibly know. It's almost like some guy who coached in the USHL and nobody would hire him for a D1 job is the root of the mudslinging?
Not to mention that Don gave a nice 1/2 hour speech to the Big10 Network on the way out. The mudslinger you mentioned resigned from his coaching job without comment.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Now hearing the Bob Motzko rumor as much as the Todd Richards rumor.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks for sharing. I don't think the article is bad. Comments below it are split. Many think the writer is an idiot.

Attendance is down. Lucia is no longer Head Coach. What else is he supposed to write to attempt an explanation of these events? People can disagree, but that's up to the reader. It's obviously an opinion piece and not something shared across the AP wire.
Be kind. Rewind.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:36 am

WestMetro wrote:Now hearing the Bob Motzko rumor as much as the Todd Richards rumor.
Losing to Air Force is not going to help. That's right up there with losing to Holy Cross!

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:10 pm

highgloveside wrote:http://www.citypages.com/news/how-don-l ... /477582963

Very accurate article imo

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 am

So much for the Big Ten being weak. LOL!