HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worth to Arizona State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Latest Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl(east)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Worth to Arizona State Reply with quote

Garrett Worth has committed to ASU. Was only a matter of time before he wound up somewhere.
JerseyDave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Worth to Arizona State Reply with quote

karl(east) wrote:
Garrett Worth has committed to ASU. Was only a matter of time before he wound up somewhere.

LOL, I randomly checked his Twitter feed earlier in the night and there was nothing there. Here's his announcement:
https://twitter.com/HockeyWorth/status/980974914269097984

Congratulations to ASU and Mr. Worth!
Net Presence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Worth to Arizona State Reply with quote

karl(east) wrote:

So, was on a Delta flight yesterday from Minny to Phoenix for a vacation and Garrett and his dad were seated on the flight nearby. Saw them meet up with an ASU assistant at baggage check. Said “hi” and wished him luck on his visit. Heard he had visited UMD — not sure if it was official or unofficial— within the last couple weeks and, that other schools had shown real interest recently as well. So, was certainly surprised he was visiting an “independent”. Obviously, my previous post about him possibly going to either UMD or St. Cloud was off the mark. I wouldn’t be surprised if ASU offered him a “full” as I don’t believe the other schools he’d spoken with had. Admittedly, the level of scholarship the other schools had offered (if any) is second hand info so, may not be accurate. Regardless, sincere congrats to him. I really believe he is a special talent and now he gets another opportunity to prove it.
karl(east)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Worth to Arizona State Reply with quote

Net Presence wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

So, was on a Delta flight yesterday from Minny to Phoenix for a vacation and Garrett and his dad were seated on the flight nearby. Saw them meet up with an ASU assistant at baggage check. Said “hi” and wished him luck on his visit. Heard he had visited UMD — not sure if it was official or unofficial— within the last couple weeks and, that other schools had shown real interest recently as well. So, was certainly surprised he was visiting an “independent”. Obviously, my previous post about him possibly going to either UMD or St. Cloud was off the mark. I wouldn’t be surprised if ASU offered him a “full” as I don’t believe the other schools he’d spoken with had. Admittedly, the level of scholarship the other schools had offered (if any) is second hand info so, may not be accurate. Regardless, sincere congrats to him. I really believe he is a special talent and now he gets another opportunity to prove it.

The St. Cloud rumors were hot for a bit there, but the situation at St. Cloud changed pretty dramatically over the past two weeks, so I guess I'm not surprised that particular avenue didn't appeal as much. And while I'm certainly not saying he couldn't have thrived at UMD, I also think Garrett is the sort of kid who might benefit from some time away from Duluth. I think it's a good fit for a number of reasons.
hockey59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth to Arizona State Reply with quote

karl(east) wrote:
Net Presence wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

The St. Cloud rumors were hot for a bit there, but the situation at St. Cloud changed pretty dramatically over the past two weeks, so I guess I'm not surprised that particular avenue didn't appeal as much. And while I'm certainly not saying he couldn't have thrived at UMD, I also think Garrett is the sort of kid who might benefit from some time away from Duluth. I think it's a good fit for a number of reasons.

I do too, Congrats to GW! I can think of worse things than busting your butt on the ice & in the weight room Then...relaxing pool side in 85 degree weather! Seems like this may appeal to GW (among many players in the coming years) Wink Laughing Very Happy
CakeScout17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Worth to ASU Reply with quote

Joining Koumontzis at ASU. Could be 2 parts of a very entertaining line in the future...WORTHy of a road trip in the winter?

I'd say so.
grindiangrad-80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Worth to ASU Reply with quote

CakeScout17 wrote:
Joining Koumontzis at ASU. Could be 2 parts of a very entertaining line in the future...WORTHy of a road trip in the winter?

I'd say so.

Agree. And I would add that when I think of hockey Arizona certainly never comes to mind.

Attracting players like these guys could change that in a hurry though.
TheNightman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Worth to ASU Reply with quote

CakeScout17 wrote:

I'd say so.

Teddy Lagerback also.
goldy313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a whole lot of chatter of Arizona State dropping hockey...no conference, no D-1 arena, no support ftom the Pac 12, etc,

I hope they don't as the Southwest could be a boom for hockey. But still.......going to Alabama Birmingham West is risky.
Net Presence

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldy313 wrote:
There is a whole lot of chatter of Arizona State dropping hockey...no conference, no D-1 arena, no support ftom the Pac 12, etc,

I hope they don't as the Southwest could be a boom for hockey. But still.......going to Alabama Birmingham West is risky.

Goldy -- genuine question and not trying to be snarky or a smart--- are you able to cite or provide any linfo/links to stories that support your statement that ASU's program is in jeopardy? I ask because ASU's Board of Regents recently approved plans to both upgrade their current basketball arena as well as build a new hockey arena next door. This is from the ASU season thread in the USCHO Div. I Forums:

Quote Originally Posted by Revs89.2 View Post
Here we go! I know many have been looking for a true tangible piece of movement on our building. This is a huge step. The Arizona Board of Regents oversees the three public universities in the state. This paves the way for the projects to begin, pending their approval.

http://arizonasports.com/story/13920...on-tap-at-asu/
A follow up to the above ... today the ABOR Business and Finance Committee unanimously approved the plan and it will now go to the the full board for their approval in February.

The above poster (Revs89.2) then followed up with this post 14 days later:

02-08-2018, 08:36 PM #79

Re: Arizona State Sun Devils 2017-18 -- Year Three!
The new hockey arena has been fully approved by the ABOR! The project tis now free to move forward. Expect ASU to come out shortly with the drawings, timetable etc. But great news in Tempe!

https://arizonasports.com/story/1408...-hockey-home/?

Seems unlikely this program is in any immediate jeopardy if this info is accurate. Plus, there's solid second-hand info that both the Big 10 and NCHC both told ASU they'd be very interested in adding ASU to their conferences IF ASU could get their building situation resolved sooner rather than later. Again, I'm interested in seeing whatever information you might have that supports your statement.
Schotzy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They approved plans back in February for a new rink. Story Here:
http://arizonasports.com/story/1408600/plans-approved-renovated-wells-fargo-arena-new-asu-hockey-home/

Their current space, Oceanside Ice Arena, has a capacity of less than 800. I can see why conferences would put the pressure on the program to pony up for a bigger venue before they would be admitted. My guess is ASU will be NCHC bound in the next 2-to-3 years. I am basing that solely on geography with CC, Denver, and Nebraska-Omaha being the closest teams in terms of travel.
highgloveside

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a funny note, the Gophers have a couple thousand unused seats they could sell to ASU to help build their new arena. I think it's the same color maroon Laughing
goldy313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Net Presence......

Thank you for the info. I knew their current structure was not compatible with D-1 hockey and the money to move forward was in limbo.....at best. I think one school making a go of it will entice more in the Southwest ( USC, Arizona, UCLA, UNLV, etc) growing there is better than growing in Iowa or Nebraska.

Fwiw your links are dead, likey a subscription issue.
north_bear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Garret.

Rather surprised a more hockey prominent state/program didn't pick him up. Definitely don't think Arizona State when you think of hockey. I think he'll do well wherever he ends up, unfortunate the local schools/conferences or the eastern schools didn't pick him up.
northwoods oldtimer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

north_bear wrote:
Congrats to Garret.

Rather surprised a more hockey prominent state/program didn't pick him up. Definitely don't think Arizona State when you think of hockey. I think he'll do well wherever he ends up, unfortunate the local schools/conferences or the eastern schools didn't pick him up.

BSU has too much scoring offense didn't need his talent Wink
jdh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word from a classmate on Garret Worth is that poor grades kept schools away from recruiting him.
highgloveside

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously dude? First, I Hope the "Classmate" is a straight A student. Second It's probably harder to get into ASU academic wise or at least the same as 3 of the D1 hockey programs in this state and one to the North and West. No need to throw the kids name out there as a poor student from rumors of classmates. This is not to say ASU might let things slide from a GPA standpoint but don't think for one minute that many other schools don't do the same thing. Many kids don't get their act together until they get to college, this young man is taking a flyer and trying something new and different. Sounds to me like he may be starting to get his act together already and help grow the game of hockey in the process. Good for him Smile
mulefarm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously a very talented player , must be something that coaches are worrried about.
Jeffy95

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every kid screws up from time to time. I'm just glad he's been given a chance. That's all anyone can ask for. What he does with it will be up to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Latest Topics) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: