Edina junior F Mason Nevers commits to Gophers

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:55 pm

WestMetro wrote:OTC- Anders Lee has been big NHL scorer in last few years and he came from very big deep Minnesota programs ?
He's been awesome. Kids like him are hard to categorize. If I recall his path correctly, he started in youth somewhere and then played Pee Wees in Edina before leaving to play Varsity at St. Thomas as an 8th grader.

For all a parent might think about what it would have been like if their kid grew up in Edina or a similar large association, there are undeniable advantages to being in a less crowded environment.

When the NHL is chock full of big scorers from Edina, White Bear Lake, Osseo-Maple Grove, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, and Wayzata I'll sing a different tune. It's great to see Lee and Boeser at least bucking the trend as scoring forwards from the Twin Cities.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Houndhockey wrote:You've missed the NCAA's 2 of the last 3 years. The last two times you've made it you've been bounced in the first round (one of those times to the Bulldogs I might add). All these 1st place finishes in the B10 and even back to the WCHA but nothing to show with the exception of 2013 where you got hammered by Union in the final, and the year previous to that you were bounced in the first round of the tourney as well. It just amazes me that they get the so called "creme of the crop" from MN and do nothing with it. Not sure if it was a Lucia thing or the players don't buy in to the system. Just seems to me that UMD took system players, coached them up, got them to buy in and now it's paying off big time
It just amazes me that so many Minnesotans have very little grasp on NCAA Division I hockey. Expectations are insanely high for whoever coaches the Gophers. I wish Motzko well.

Six conference titles in a row prior to this year and that is "nothing to show" in your world. Holy cow. Nothing to show is what Wisconsin has done over the same period. If it were so easy everyone would do it.

I would love to hear your definition of the so called "creme of the crop" is in order to learn your thoughts on college hockey recruiting. Who decides? More importantly, when?

One thing I've gleaned from recent results where Duluth East reached the state final in HS hockey - or in your words, had, "nothing to show" for the season - and Minnesota-Duluth won the NCAA Championship after backing in to the tournament on the last weekend of the season:

There's definitely a "Duluth Way" for hockey where individuals buy into the team concept and lunch pail hockey is valued over all else. Will over skill. Folks seem to take pride in that.

Great when it works.
Be kind. Rewind.

WestMetro
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Great recovery OTC!

"It's great to see Lee and Boeser at least bucking the trend as NHL scoring forwards from the Twin Cities."

O-townClown
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 pm

WestMetro wrote:Great recovery OTC!
I did say 'generally'!

My friend that does this for a living said years ago that Minnesota's scorers don't come from the big programs. A related discussion could be goaltending. When you measure success by excelling at NHL level there is a small n=. No matter where you are from.
Be kind. Rewind.

WestMetro
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Good technical response OTC!

Your points are thought provoking.

Mites now playing year round hockey. Same with Sq and PeeWees. Including skill and strength training. Up to 50-60 games. Same with bantams. Bantams are now better than varsity Deast HS in my era. HS has added Elite League and USHL before and after. Not to mention Blades and Machine playing elite competition.

Lots of elite Minn kids making it to D1

Some/Many to NHL

But, probably seems true, proportionately fewer Minnesotan NHL long career or NHL high point producers.

So what are the other provinces/countries kids and coaches doing that ours arent. You must have some specifics in mind?

O-townClown
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:08 am

WestMetro wrote:So what are the other provinces/countries kids and coaches doing that ours arent. You must have some specifics in mind?
The one thing I've always felt is that the Michigan model of shuttling the best players on to a few teams creates a hyper-competitive environment that results in the players with unlimited potential becoming better than they would have in Minnesota.

Jimmy Carson, Mike Modano are examples.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/national ... stats.html

Very few Minnesota forwards on that list and not many from the Twin Cities. Blake Wheeler is doing awfully well!

I don't know how to explain the success of defensemen like Reed Larson and Phil Housley. More recently Nick Leddy, Jake Gardiner, Justin Faulk, Brady Skjei, Ryan McDonagh.

Don't know why, but Minnesota seems to develop blueliners.
Be kind. Rewind.

wolfman
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Post by wolfman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 am

Martin elk river D in NHL
Prosser elk river D in NHL
Hillman elk river D in NHL
Otto Elk river F retired NHL
Highnote elk river F retired NHL
Ege Elk river D future NHL 😏
Maas elk river D future NHL 😏
Kirsted elk river D future NHL 😏
Jeremko elk river F future NHL 😏
Perbix brothers D and F future NHL 😏

xy
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 am

Post by xy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:15 am

This might surprise a lot of people: of the top 50 highest scoring Americans in NHL history on that list, I come up with just five (Housley, Broten, Christian, Cullen, Larson) who played in Minnesota and stayed in high school through their senior year. If you asked me to guess off the top of my head I certainly would have thought it was higher.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 3911
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:32 am

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:41 am

OTC! Good to see you took my old sermons to heart!

Key points:

-Brock was the gills for the fish in that pond. No Brock, then no tight games with Edina those seasons... He mostly carried the team while Edina had talented depth to lean on. Brock developed differently with more on his shoulders. Brock is now a stud in the NHL.

-Anders Lee was a destined little phenom in St. Francis.. his family then moved to Edina for work reasons and Anders played youth hockey there for a few years before heading to St Thomas.. then back to Edina.

-Edina puts out some great D1 talent but seems to fizzle at the NHL level. Should be a great discussion but people didn't want to hear it... (OTC 😉)
Something definately causes them to come short of the mark of where they should be. Split that talent up a bit maybe in youth instead of wearing undefeated peewee season hats?

-I really believe the Summer AAA explosion around 2007(?) was the great equalizer for minnesota hockey with the rest of the world. We used to hang up the skates.. for the most part.. until the next hockey season. We would still put out the good role player in the NHL because of the pond hockey abilities around here... but hardly any scorers. Now we're seeing some higher scorers and dynamic players from Minnesota in the league and it should only improve! Even Minnesota Hockey is getting on the bandwagon now with district and tier 1 teams that I used to say they should start to do all the time! (Sorry to toot my own horn, but some will remember clearly)

Minnesota Made
YHH tournaments/bantam leagues
Minnesota District/tier 1
Map/Velocity
All of these newer things are bringing Minnesota to new heights!

O-townClown
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:20 am

MrBoDangles wrote: -Edina puts out some great D1 talent but seems to fizzle at the NHL level. Should be a great discussion but people didn't want to hear it... (OTC 😉)

-I really believe the Summer AAA explosion around 2007(?) was the great equalizer for minnesota hockey with the rest of the world.

Even Minnesota Hockey is getting on the bandwagon now with district and tier 1 teams that I used to say they should start to do all the time! (Sorry to toot my own horn, but some will remember clearly)

All of these newer things are bringing Minnesota to new heights!
Bo, I'm not sure what you think I didn't want to hear about Edina. I'm quite familiar with the community, its history, and the hockey program. I do recall you whining incessantly about how kids from certain areas don't have the same opportunity as others. Versed in the matter due to my time as an administrator (Director of a USA Hockey affiliate), I told you to quit whining and move like everybody else that doesn't like their hockey option. It isn't Minnesota Hockey's responsibility to do everything; all they can do is provide an environment where the sport can flourish.

You are spot on about the increased opportunities resulting in accelerated development. Around 1984 or 1985 a HS All-Star team was sent to Massachusetts and they got smoked. The reason cited at the time was that the New Englanders played summer hockey and Minnesotans didn't. Not the case today and you know same-age Minnesotans will fare just fine with players from anywhere.

I definitely remember the idea for regional Tier I teams as yours. You get full credit from me on that. I never felt that Minnesota was ripe for Tier I hockey taking kids out of association hockey or the high schools. I don't recall you backing the before/after format they settled on, but maybe you did. What is VERY TROUBLING is how little support Minnesota's players have for the Tier I tournament. Kids would seem to prefer Blades over it. The Minnesota showings at Nationals last week were disappointing. (On the Boys side. Girls did great.) Boys played 18U Tier II and actually lost games?! What the heck?

The newer, modern things offered are clearly working. Most importantly, they've come without compromising the best thing Minnesota has - community hockey. Municipal rinks and volunteer coaches. I questioned everybody's Tier I dreams on this board when they didn't make sense, mainly because anything in Minnesota would not get the support of the USA Hockey affiliate unless it was good for all.

I think the present climate really is good for all.

Questions on what lies ahead with more hockey schools and programs like Gentry aspiring for Tier I hockey. It'll be interested.

I will always credit you with the regional Tier I support.
Be kind. Rewind.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 3911
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:32 am

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 am

O-townClown wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: -Edina puts out some great D1 talent but seems to fizzle at the NHL level. Should be a great discussion but people didn't want to hear it... (OTC 😉)

-I really believe the Summer AAA explosion around 2007(?) was the great equalizer for minnesota hockey with the rest of the world.

Even Minnesota Hockey is getting on the bandwagon now with district and tier 1 teams that I used to say they should start to do all the time! (Sorry to toot my own horn, but some will remember clearly)

All of these newer things are bringing Minnesota to new heights!
Bo, I'm not sure what you think I didn't want to hear about Edina. I'm quite familiar with the community, its history, and the hockey program. I do recall you whining incessantly about how kids from certain areas don't have the same opportunity as others. Versed in the matter due to my time as an administrator (Director of a USA Hockey affiliate), I told you to quit whining and move like everybody else that doesn't like their hockey option. It isn't Minnesota Hockey's responsibility to do everything; all they can do is provide an environment where the sport can flourish.

You are spot on about the increased opportunities resulting in accelerated development. Around 1984 or 1985 a HS All-Star team was sent to Massachusetts and they got smoked. The reason cited at the time was that the New Englanders played summer hockey and Minnesotans didn't. Not the case today and you know same-age Minnesotans will fare just fine with players from anywhere.

I definitely remember the idea for regional Tier I teams as yours. You get full credit from me on that. I never felt that Minnesota was ripe for Tier I hockey taking kids out of association hockey or the high schools. I don't recall you backing the before/after format they settled on, but maybe you did. What is VERY TROUBLING is how little support Minnesota's players have for the Tier I tournament. Kids would seem to prefer Blades over it. The Minnesota showings at Nationals last week were disappointing. (On the Boys side. Girls did great.) Boys played 18U Tier II and actually lost games?! What the heck?

The newer, modern things offered are clearly working. Most importantly, they've come without compromising the best thing Minnesota has - community hockey. Municipal rinks and volunteer coaches. I questioned everybody's Tier I dreams on this board when they didn't make sense, mainly because anything in Minnesota would not get the support of the USA Hockey affiliate unless it was good for all.

I think the present climate really is good for all.

Questions on what lies ahead with more hockey schools and programs like Gentry aspiring for Tier I hockey. It'll be interested.

I will always credit you with the regional Tier I support.
I had said what you just repeated about NHL scoring talent coming from not so big of ponds.. and then I asked the question about it seeming like Edina falling short on NHL talent.. Then you listed the very few guys from Edina back then. I then explained how some of them developed their scoring prowess elsewhere. We really seem to be on the same page now about carrying the load and development.. ?

I didn't whine back then.. I simply exposed idiocy! I still can't believe there was a time when B-1 kids couldn't try out for HP when "single" A was the highest level.. Tons of families with skilled kids left small associations because of this.. And then Minnesota Hockey would talk about wanting to grow the game and how they're able to find all the talent. The ill effects are still seen at some high school programs to this day!! Yes, these are the topics that would run for pages..
I exposed and they seemed to listen on many points..

WestMetro
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:35 pm

OTC/MBD- excellent points, but are you sure you guys arent from the 218?

InThePipes
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 am

Post by InThePipes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 pm

O-townClown wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: What is VERY TROUBLING is how little support Minnesota's players have for the Tier I tournament. Kids would seem to prefer Blades over it. The Minnesota showings at Nationals last week were disappointing. (On the Boys side. Girls did great.) Boys played 18U Tier II and actually lost games?! What the heck?
Right, not only preferring to play with the Blades, but in some cases also preferring the Blizzard, Magicians, Blue Army, etc...several of these "newer organizations" are now springing up for Fall Tier I. What are your thoughts on all of these programs in relation to the MN Hockey Tier I opportunities?

yesiplayedhockey
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:38 pm

It use to be a "big deal" to be chosen to play for the Blades or the Machine. I don't think that's the case anymore. Tons of great options closer to home that can now offer similar (and some may argue) better options.

Tier 1 isn't going away. It's just getting started. This fall so many kids will have to decide. Do I go Minnesota HP Tier 1 or do I join one of these many other options (Blades, Army, etc etc). Do I need to spend all that money for the out of state tournaments or can I find good fall hockey right here in Minnesota

You've heard this over and over. Minnesota kids do not have to travel to get discovered. Anyone telling you they do is simply reaching in your pocket and taking money from you. Is it fun, sure... but it's definitely not necessary.

I just hope Minnesota hockey limits the Tier 1 options in the winter. I doubt they can and I fear the day when all these top kids are playing on some Tier 1 team versus their hometown high school team. I see girls hockey going to this way sooner than later. I cringe thinking boys hockey could be heading that way as well

Thoughts? Elliott ? any insight?

InThePipes
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 am

Post by InThePipes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:It use to be a "big deal" to be chosen to play for the Blades or the Machine. I don't think that's the case anymore. Tons of great options closer to home that can now offer similar (and some may argue) better options.

Tier 1 isn't going away. It's just getting started. This fall so many kids will have to decide. Do I go Minnesota HP Tier 1 or do I join one of these many other options (Blades, Army, etc etc). Do I need to spend all that money for the out of state tournaments or can I find good fall hockey right here in Minnesota

You've heard this over and over. Minnesota kids do not have to travel to get discovered. Anyone telling you they do is simply reaching in your pocket and taking money from you. Is it fun, sure... but it's definitely not necessary.

I just hope Minnesota hockey limits the Tier 1 options in the winter. I doubt they can and I fear the day when all these top kids are playing on some Tier 1 team versus their hometown high school team. I see girls hockey going to this way sooner than later. I cringe thinking boys hockey could be heading that way as well

Thoughts? Elliott ? any insight?
The other potential challenge is with the MN Tier I program is around the tryout. It's certainly a double-edge sword as you theoretically end up with the most deserving players, but at the same time the uncertainty surrounding it could leave some people simply opening the checkbook and going for the "sure thing" and playing with one of these other organizations. Again, a majority of the players playing on these other teams would likely make a MN Hockey Tier I team for their district/section, but at the same time I think there are at least a subset of talented players who may leave just to avoid the uncertainty, because if you tryout and don't make it for some reason, many other options for the fall season will have already dried up.

Houndhockey
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:19 am

Post by Houndhockey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Houndhockey wrote:You've missed the NCAA's 2 of the last 3 years. The last two times you've made it you've been bounced in the first round (one of those times to the Bulldogs I might add). All these 1st place finishes in the B10 and even back to the WCHA but nothing to show with the exception of 2013 where you got hammered by Union in the final, and the year previous to that you were bounced in the first round of the tourney as well. It just amazes me that they get the so called "creme of the crop" from MN and do nothing with it. Not sure if it was a Lucia thing or the players don't buy in to the system. Just seems to me that UMD took system players, coached them up, got them to buy in and now it's paying off big time
It just amazes me that so many Minnesotans have very little grasp on NCAA Division I hockey. Expectations are insanely high for whoever coaches the Gophers. I wish Motzko well.

Six conference titles in a row prior to this year and that is "nothing to show" in your world. Holy cow. Nothing to show is what Wisconsin has done over the same period. If it were so easy everyone would do it.

I would love to hear your definition of the so called "creme of the crop" is in order to learn your thoughts on college hockey recruiting. Who decides? More importantly, when?

One thing I've gleaned from recent results where Duluth East reached the state final in HS hockey - or in your words, had, "nothing to show" for the season - and Minnesota-Duluth won the NCAA Championship after backing in to the tournament on the last weekend of the season:

There's definitely a "Duluth Way" for hockey where individuals buy into the team concept and lunch pail hockey is valued over all else. Will over skill. Folks seem to take pride in that.

Great when it works.
I'm sure most here are very impressed with the Gophs winning the B10 the last few years playing some tough talent!!! The reason the Natty Champs '"backed in" to the tourney this year is because of the talent they play on a weekly basis. I guess if the Dogs would have just been swept in the first round of the playoffs (like another MN team) it would have been better for them! It can't be denied that the NCHC is where it's at these days for the best all around conference.

As for expectations of the Gophers, they should be very high with the type of players they pull from around the state into their program. I say "nothing to show for it" because of the conference they play in. It's not impressive in itself to win the B10. Now if they were winning that consistently and making it to the frozen four there would be something to show for it, but to continually get knocked out in the first round says something about them and the level of play in other conferences.
East High Rah Rah Rah....

elliott70
Posts: 11954
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:It use to be a "big deal" to be chosen to play for the Blades or the Machine. I don't think that's the case anymore. Tons of great options closer to home that can now offer similar (and some may argue) better options.

Tier 1 isn't going away. It's just getting started. This fall so many kids will have to decide. Do I go Minnesota HP Tier 1 or do I join one of these many other options (Blades, Army, etc etc). Do I need to spend all that money for the out of state tournaments or can I find good fall hockey right here in Minnesota

You've heard this over and over. Minnesota kids do not have to travel to get discovered. Anyone telling you they do is simply reaching in your pocket and taking money from you. Is it fun, sure... but it's definitely not necessary.

I just hope Minnesota hockey limits the Tier 1 options in the winter. I doubt they can and I fear the day when all these top kids are playing on some Tier 1 team versus their hometown high school team. I see girls hockey going to this way sooner than later. I cringe thinking boys hockey could be heading that way as well

Thoughts? Elliott ? any insight?
NO
TOO BUSY WORKING
remind me when I get back from Mexico.

Slap Shot
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:00 pm

O-townClown wrote:What you'll find is that Minnesota has had very few forwards that become big scorers in the NHL. The ones that do generally come from "lesser" programs where they grew up shouldering the scoring load. Jamie Langenbrunner, Brock Nelson, Trent Klatt (one 20 goal season, does that count) are guys that didn't grow up on three-lines-deep travel teams with multiple Division I players. A scorer's mindset seems to come from being a huge fish in a average sized pond.
For what it's worth there's a pretty healthy list of additional players with varying degrees of success including Wheeler, Okposo, Bjugstad, Parise, Stepan, Lee and Oshie, as well as Guentzel and Boeser that are just getting started but showing potential. I probably missed a few as well.

keepyourheadup
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:34 pm

So we’ve made it from Mason Nevers to the NACHO is the best conference, that’s a hell of a journey. As for strength of conferences it might surprise people to know just how close they all are! The computer spit out 4 of 6 ...if not for an amazing run of dominos it would have been 5...into the tournament from the big 10 so it’s pretty hard to beat them up as inferior. There are just so many good young players spread across the entire NCAA landscape that in a one game format anything can happen. Look no further than Air Force this year. Time to put to rest the argument on conference strength, in any given year it’s now a crapshoot to predict which will ARGUABLY be better. Yes the big 10 was knocked out in the end but most NACHO fans didn’t see SCSU losing to AF or Denver getting clobbered by OSU.

O-townClown
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Post by O-townClown » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 am

Houndhockey wrote:I'm sure most here are very impressed with the Gophs winning the B10 the last few years playing some tough talent!!! The reason the Natty Champs '"backed in" to the tourney this year is because of the talent they play on a weekly basis. I guess if the Dogs would have just been swept in the first round of the playoffs (like another MN team) it would have been better for them! It can't be denied that the NCHC is where it's at these days for the best all around conference.

As for expectations of the Gophers, they should be very high with the type of players they pull from around the state into their program. I say "nothing to show for it" because of the conference they play in. It's not impressive in itself to win the B10. Now if they were winning that consistently and making it to the frozen four there would be something to show for it, but to continually get knocked out in the first round says something about them and the level of play in other conferences.
So the problem with winning the B1G conference four years in a row is that it isn't any good, then you measure a season by whether or not teams reach the Frozen Four.

Which had 3 of the 4 this season. That's three times as many as Hockey East, WCHA, ECAC, and NCHC combined.

So which is it? Is the conference no good? If that's your argument you'll have to find a new way to measure a season's success.

Seems like you don't like the University of Minnesota because whatever the heck your are saying seems to contradict what you've already said.

Finally, the NCHC is a hockey conference. Pretty sure that excludes it from any discussion of "best all around" anything. Certainly a GREAT hockey league, but it can't be best all around.
Be kind. Rewind.

GopherHockey
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Post by GopherHockey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:04 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:So we’ve made it from Mason Nevers to the NACHO is the best conference, that’s a hell of a journey. As for strength of conferences it might surprise people to know just how close they all are! The computer spit out 4 of 6 ...if not for an amazing run of dominos it would have been 5...into the tournament from the big 10 so it’s pretty hard to beat them up as inferior. There are just so many good young players spread across the entire NCAA landscape that in a one game format anything can happen. Look no further than Air Force this year. Time to put to rest the argument on conference strength, in any given year it’s now a crapshoot to predict which will ARGUABLY be better. Yes the big 10 was knocked out in the end but most NACHO fans didn’t see SCSU losing to AF or Denver getting clobbered by OSU.
Fawker fans could never let that go, just like them gloating about their NCAA titles count and how many fans they have. It’s literally all they have in Grand Forks. :lol:

7TIMECHAMPS
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:58 am

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:18 am

GopherHockey wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:So we’ve made it from Mason Nevers to the NACHO is the best conference, that’s a hell of a journey. As for strength of conferences it might surprise people to know just how close they all are! The computer spit out 4 of 6 ...if not for an amazing run of dominos it would have been 5...into the tournament from the big 10 so it’s pretty hard to beat them up as inferior. There are just so many good young players spread across the entire NCAA landscape that in a one game format anything can happen. Look no further than Air Force this year. Time to put to rest the argument on conference strength, in any given year it’s now a crapshoot to predict which will ARGUABLY be better. Yes the big 10 was knocked out in the end but most NACHO fans didn’t see SCSU losing to AF or Denver getting clobbered by OSU.
Fawker fans could never let that go, just like them gloating about their NCAA titles count and how many fans they have. It’s literally all they have in Grand Forks. :lol:
Comparing a city of 50,000 to a metro area like the twin cities with millions? Nice comparison. Actually on second thought it is because it just makes the aforementioned 8 titles and 12,000 fans that much more impressive relative to size. Especially when the U struggles to get half of that.

And for all the talk about how great the BIG 10 is after having 3 of the 4 teams in the frozen 4 I say it was more of a fluke than anything. If I counted correctly the Big 10 had 1 appearance since inception in 2014 prior to this year. Let’s see if they can sustain any success before saying they’re on par with the NCHC.

keepyourheadup
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Post by keepyourheadup » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 pm

Hilarious! It’s just more of the same BS! If I’m not mistaken the U was league champ the last time they were in what is now the NACHO. UND is a storied program that ranks at or near the top of all college programs....so Is Denver....but so is Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Is there some sort of inferiority complex here? Both leagues have great teams every year. Then you have hockey east which also has outstanding programs. Let it go! The BIG ain’t going away and will be highly competitive for a very long time, same for the NCHC and Hockey east.

I think the supportive fan base in GF is a great thing and they should be super proud of Sioux hockey but gosh darn it’s like packer fans, in the solar system of college hockey they seem to think they are the sun! It isn’t always about you!

7TIMECHAMPS
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:58 am

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:51 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Hilarious! It’s just more of the same BS! If I’m not mistaken the U was league champ the last time they were in what is now the NACHO. UND is a storied program that ranks at or near the top of all college programs....so Is Denver....but so is Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Is there some sort of inferiority complex here? Both leagues have great teams every year. Then you have hockey east which also has outstanding programs. Let it go! The BIG ain’t going away and will be highly competitive for a very long time, same for the NCHC and Hockey east.

I think the supportive fan base in GF is a great thing and they should be super proud of Sioux hockey but gosh darn it’s like packer fans, in the solar system of college hockey they seem to think they are the sun! It isn’t always about you!
That seems like the pot calling the kettle black. Have you ever listened to a gopher fan talk about how the gophers get their choice of players in MN and every kid in MN grows up wanting to be a gopher etc? I have read it several times on this board. Most Gopher fans are beside themselves if a top prospect chooses another school over the gophers. They ask each other what went wrong in the recruitment of player X and how could they choose school Y when the almighty gophers came knocking?

GopherHockey decided he needed to take an unprovoked shot at UND and the Grand Forks community. That user brought up UND not anyone else. Maybe they did it because they have a little bit of a jealousy issue. I'm not sure.

And just for clarity's sake the last time I see the Gophers winning the WCHA was 06-07.

Schotzy
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Post by Schotzy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:00 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:I think the supportive fan base in GF is a great thing and they should be super proud of Sioux hockey but gosh darn it’s like packer fans, in the solar system of college hockey they seem to think they are the sun! It isn’t always about you!
This part is so true. Thanks for that. I am a UMD fan, grew up a Gopher fan, went to SCSU. Been watching the Fighting Hawks (purposeful) fans be complete tools all my life. Not all of them, but most. I will say they have an amazing tradition, they have proven they can be successful, and their fanbase travels incredibly well.....but what else do they have to do? Just like Packer fans. Be proud of your program, but you don't have to be a d**k about it.

In truth, all of this is great news for NCAA Hockey. I live in a hockey bubble, so I can not speak with any certainty, but I think the power of the conferences out East, plus the established strength of the NCHA, plus the emergence of what I see as a very strong B1G conference, equals nothing but a larger and more engaged fan base. This is great news!

There was no way the B1G was going to stay down for long. It took a couple of years, but the B1G has shown they are going to be contenders. There is WAY too much money among those schools. The Schools, The Facilities, The Boosters, The Coaches, all of these things contribute to their future success.

Post Reply