HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BULLDOGS!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> College Hockey Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jdh



Joined: 03 Mar 2015
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: BULLDOGS! Reply with quote

How about how them Bulldogs!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ILTG



Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the Big 10 is going to have to wait another year to claim that they are the best conference in the country. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gopherpuck516



Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Posts: 179

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the Bulldogs! They played a great 200í game tonight. Never took their foot off the gas, and played with a ton of heart. What an amazing story, making the tournament by the slimmest margin imaginable and absolutely making the most of it. Itís great as a HS hockey fan to see so many former MN HS players with the opportunity to play for, and win, the college hockey national championship!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grindiangrad-80



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Congrats to the Bulldogs! They played a great 200í game tonight. Never took their foot off the gas, and played with a ton of heart. What an amazing story, making the tournament by the slimmest margin imaginable and absolutely making the most of it. Itís great as a HS hockey fan to see so many former MN HS players with the opportunity to play for, and win, the college hockey national championship!


Agree. That was fun watching them in the tournament. They sure made the most of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grindiangrad-80



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILTG wrote:
Guess the Big 10 is going to have to wait another year to claim that they are the best conference in the country. Very Happy


You may have to wait longer than that to claim you are a relevant poster. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hockey59



Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 851

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Congrats to the Bulldogs! They played a great 200í game tonight. Never took their foot off the gas, and played with a ton of heart. What an amazing story, making the tournament by the slimmest margin imaginable and absolutely making the most of it. Itís great as a HS hockey fan to see so many former MN HS players with the opportunity to play for, and win, the college hockey national championship!
His teammates carried Kobe Roth on to the ice after the final horn! Kobe was checked into the boards sacrificing his body to clear the zone midway threw the 1st period & broke his ankle. # WARRIORS # National Champions! 👍
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
northwoods oldtimer



Joined: 21 Dec 2006
Posts: 2106

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the Dogs what a program. Not only make it back to the Frozen Four but win it with 1 sophomore, 5 rookie defense and a new starting goalie. Unbelievable!
Minnesota proud.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldy313



Joined: 05 Mar 2002
Posts: 2923

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
ILTG wrote:
Guess the Big 10 is going to have to wait another year to claim that they are the best conference in the country. Very Happy


You may have to wait longer than that to claim you are a relevant poster. Very Happy


Again, dumber by the post. 😆
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grindiangrad-80



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 2254

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldy313 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
ILTG wrote:
Guess the Big 10 is going to have to wait another year to claim that they are the best conference in the country. Very Happy


You may have to wait longer than that to claim you are a relevant poster. Very Happy


Again, dumber by the post. 😆


Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rainier2



Joined: 09 Nov 2017
Posts: 123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the four Bulldogs that made the all-tourney team were from Cloquet, Hermantown, GR, and Hibbing. #218
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestMetro



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 1666

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuhlman an Iron Man. Very deserving MVP!

Shepard an underrated goalie nationally, except for us Minnesotans that watched him in HS. Just look at playoff performance stats!

Underrated Nick Swaney, who should have had a spot on last years championship game roster rather than spending a second year in Waterloo, came back after injuries early in season to have great second half. He had at least 8 sogs last night to help soften up the Domers goalie

Entire D corp was super, Samberg and Wolff in particular.

ND just couldnt get puck out of the zone. Malmquist was bottled up the whole game.

Most of all, 60 minutes of consistent 200' play, tremendous forecheck, back check, and corner work. Sticks always on the ice. Shot blocking.

Very few mistakes. At times, I wish some of the bigger Dawgs would have gotten a little more physical with #20 to settle him down a bit, but I guess better that they stayed disciplined.

Congrats! So much fun to see all these MSHSL kids win national titles.
Barry Melrose says Minnesota kids are the best, and UMD has the best program in the state. (That comment must have stung Motzko a little after the year the Huskies had!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
northwoods oldtimer



Joined: 21 Dec 2006
Posts: 2106

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:
Kuhlman an Iron Man. Very deserving MVP!

Shepard an underrated goalie nationally, except for us Minnesotans that watched him in HS. Just look at playoff performance stats!

Underrated Nick Swaney, who should have had a spot on last years championship game roster rather than spending a second year in Waterloo, came back after injuries early in season to have great second half. He had at least 8 sogs last night to help soften up the Domers goalie

Entire D corp was super, Samberg and Wolff in particular.

ND just couldnt get puck out of the zone. Malmquist was bottled up the whole game.

Most of all, 60 minutes of consistent 200' play, tremendous forecheck, back check, and corner work. Sticks always on the ice. Shot blocking.

Very few mistakes. At times, I wish some of the bigger Dawgs would have gotten a little more physical with #20 to settle him down a bit, but I guess better that they stayed disciplined.

Congrats! So much fun to see all these MSHSL kids win national titles.
Barry Melrose says Minnesota kids are the best, and UMD has the best program in the state. (That comment must have stung Motzko a little after the year the Huskies had!)


Westy,
Great comments on the players mentioned. Swaney was a force last night. Wolf and Samberg are the big bodied defense that log such big time minutes to finish out games. If you are a MN HS Hockey fan you got to love the recruit mix that the Dogs have been able to bring in to play in the port city. Kudos to the UMD staff who log all the tough mileage in search of the right mix of players. The work is a relentless schedule that paid off Saturday night.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestMetro



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 1666

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point NWOT!!

Sandelin and staff ALWAYS have a great MIX .

Seems like the two main recruit characteristics :
óó60 Minute Hard Workers
óóNo Drama personality !

(218 Never Hurts! )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stang5280



Joined: 28 Jun 2017
Posts: 337

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, Perunovich was a real revelation to watch during the tournament. I knew that he had put up some prolific stats at Hibbing, but had never actually seen him play. His USHL performance was nothing special, albeit with a terrible Cedar Rapids team, and Iím not sure even the UMD staff knew what kind of weapon they had on their hands coming into the season. He is lightning quick and has such amazing instinctual ice vision. A buddy of mine who is a UMD alumnus and attended all four games had an interesting observation: Perunovich would frequently let opposing forwards float behind him, trying to bait a long pass he could jump and confident that he could chase down any mistakes with his speed. Iím not sure how his small stature would translate to the pro level, but Perunovich is certainly a unique talent.

One of the major perks to UMDís success over recent years is that they have been able to recruit more talented players from Minnesota and not have to rely so much on the Canadian junior ranks as they did historically. Twenty years ago, UMD would have no shot at landing players like Tufte or the Anderson brothers (and possibly Samberg, though he was local). And they look to have a nice pipeline of talent coming in over the next several years, including the Cates brothers next season. Gone are the days when the Gophers could simply waltz into the living rooms of the best Minnesota prospects and assume that they were going to be playing in Mariucci in a few years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestMetro



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 1666

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peruni is great! Big two way talent, great stick handler and outlet passing vision. Reminds me somewhat of Jack Achan, only better. Watched Peruni in Elite League at New Hope several times. And Bulldog NCHC TV.


Last time I looked , he was rated low 100s by CSS for this years draft. People that Ive talked to think his stock has moved up considerably since then. I think most were surprised how well he did as freshman at UMD in NCHC ,after mediocre year at Cedar Rapids

Thought his regional games and semi FF game were better for him than his championship game was. He had that one obvious interference penalty that led to the ND goal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseyDave



Joined: 27 Feb 2018
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article from before the championship game about freshman D Louie Roehl, who scored the first goal in the semis:
"Roehl not following in father's footsteps: UMD defensemanís dad persuaded him not to be a goalie"
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4428422-roehl-not-following-fathers-footsteps-umd-defensemans-dad-persuaded-him-not-be-goalie

Louie's father Dale Roehl was a Minnetonka goalie in the '80s. He was drafted by the Flyers in '87 but played football at UMD. He was in net in the epic 4OT loss to Jefferson at state in '85. He is the first Tonka player introduced at state here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_n1EM01YXE

The other Minnetonka goalie on that '85 team was Lance Madson, who went on to tend net at ND and was later named to the all-decade team there.
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/011911aai.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zamboniexhaustinhaler



Joined: 19 Feb 2016
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hockey59 wrote:
gopherpuck516 wrote:
Congrats to the Bulldogs! They played a great 200í game tonight. Never took their foot off the gas, and played with a ton of heart. What an amazing story, making the tournament by the slimmest margin imaginable and absolutely making the most of it. Itís great as a HS hockey fan to see so many former MN HS players with the opportunity to play for, and win, the college hockey national championship!
His teammates carried Kobe Roth on to the ice after the final horn! Kobe was checked into the boards sacrificing his body to clear the zone midway threw the 1st period & broke his ankle. # WARRIORS # National Champions! 👍


Ouch. Think he broke an ankle in high school too. Congrats UMD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WarmUpTheBus



Joined: 31 Dec 2009
Posts: 495

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:
Peruni is great! Big two way talent, great stick handler and outlet passing vision. Reminds me somewhat of Jack Achan, only better. Watched Peruni in Elite League at New Hope several times. And Bulldog NCHC TV.


Last time I looked , he was rated low 100s by CSS for this years draft. People that Ive talked to think his stock has moved up considerably since then. I think most were surprised how well he did as freshman at UMD in NCHC ,after mediocre year at Cedar Rapids

Thought his regional games and semi FF game were better for him than his championship game was. He had that one obvious interference penalty that led to the ND goal.
It was nice to see Perunovich get a lot of praise from the television announcing crew. Barry Melrose said on Thursday that Perunovich not getting drafted last year was a huge mistake. I'll go back a little further for a comparison. He reminds me of Mike Crowley.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slap Shot



Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 539

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseyDave wrote:
Here's an article from before the championship game about freshman D Louie Roehl, who scored the first goal in the semis:
"Roehl not following in father's footsteps: UMD defensemanís dad persuaded him not to be a goalie"
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4428422-roehl-not-following-fathers-footsteps-umd-defensemans-dad-persuaded-him-not-be-goalie

Louie's father Dale Roehl was a Minnetonka goalie in the '80s. He was drafted by the Flyers in '87 but played football at UMD. He was in net in the epic 4OT loss to Jefferson at state in '85. He is the first Tonka player introduced at state here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_n1EM01YXE

The other Minnetonka goalie on that '85 team was Lance Madson, who went on to tend net at ND and was later named to the all-decade team there.
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/011911aai.html


Every goal against BJ went through his pads that night/morning. Really didn't like that Lance didn't get the start that night either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stang5280



Joined: 28 Jun 2017
Posts: 337

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Peruni is great! Big two way talent, great stick handler and outlet passing vision. Reminds me somewhat of Jack Achan, only better. Watched Peruni in Elite League at New Hope several times. And Bulldog NCHC TV.


Last time I looked , he was rated low 100s by CSS for this years draft. People that Ive talked to think his stock has moved up considerably since then. I think most were surprised how well he did as freshman at UMD in NCHC ,after mediocre year at Cedar Rapids

Thought his regional games and semi FF game were better for him than his championship game was. He had that one obvious interference penalty that led to the ND goal.
It was nice to see Perunovich get a lot of praise from the television announcing crew. Barry Melrose said on Thursday that Perunovich not getting drafted last year was a huge mistake. I'll go back a little further for a comparison. He reminds me of Mike Crowley.

I usually try to tune out the FF commentary, particularly Mulletrose since he spends about five minuets preparing for the tournament, but I did catch that portion and thought it was worthy praise from an NHL guy.

Crowley is a good comp, and I was thinking even further back to Larry Olimb. Unfortunately those guys played back in the dark ages when smaller, puck moving defensemen were not really viewed as assets in the pro game. A more recent comp might be Shayne Gostisbehere, who was dominant for Union in their run to the 2014 title. He has turned into a fantastic player for the Flyers. The NHL is more free-flowing now and it seems like there is more opportunity for a player like Perunovich.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestMetro



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 1666

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on Crowley similarities , but not sure Peruni can get ever to that level.

In todayís era, in addition to Achan, Mike Koster comes to mind with somewhat similar style
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hockey59



Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 851

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:
Agree on Crowley similarities , but not sure Peruni can get ever to that level.

In todayís era, in addition to Achan, Mike Koster comes to mind with somewhat similar style
Iím old enough to clearly remember when Crowley play for the Gophers & he was an awesome player👍 but Iím not so sure Scott Perunovich hasnít already reached that level? College Hockey Rookie of the Year on a National Championship team & itís Leading Scorer. 1st Team (West) All American. What sets him apart is his unbelievable agility & quickness. Along with terrific vision & passing ability. And heís a solid defender. But two other Bulldog D who were very impressive, especially in the NCAA TOURNEY were Dylan Samberg & Mikey Anderson. Will be surprised if Samberg is still at UMD after next season (being a 2nd round Winnipeg draft pick)...heís that good already & has a tremendously high ceiling. And Mikey Anderson is the Bulldogs version of Ryan Lindgren, minus the penalties. 😉 Wonít be surprised if all 3 of these D...eventually play a regular shift in the NHL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mite-dad



Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 965

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were up at a Bantam Tournament in Hibbing several years ago. I was watching Hibbing play and a Hibbing fan was standing next to me. He said watch this little D man. So I did. He was small but made unreal passes and had his head up making great plays. He was amazing. It was this Perunovich kid. Later I got to watch him play with my son on the HP 15 camp team. Again, small but unreal in games. Then I got to watch him totally and literally demolish my kid's high school team. Faceoff draw back to Scotty, pass off the boards to a streaking forward behind our (pretty dang decent D men), goal. Twice! Our kids tried to hit him, forecheck him, etc. No success. The harder we tried to force him, the more he would exploit us. LOL. He was (and is) fun to watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestMetro



Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 1666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad- right on ! the first time you saw the kid, you had to look 2 or 3 times!

59- I recall Crowley went somewhere in lower 100s like where Peruni was last projected, although Peruni could/should move up a bit before all is said and done. Either way, I certainly respect your younger and better looking opinion! I trust all is well in Anoka in the off season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mulefarm



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 1668

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Perunovoch wasnít drafted in his first 2 yrs of being draft eligible, could he be a free agent and sign with any team? I would think he would have more leverage and would be able to pick a team that needs his skill.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> College Hockey Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Forum Rules/Reporting Offensive Posts (Updated 3/16/05)

National HS Hockey Rankings

State by State HS Hockey Profiles

USHighSchoolHockey.com

MidgetAAAHockey.com

Statewide High School Hockey Links (By State)

High School Hockey Team Links (By State)

Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by team) Minnesota High School Hockey Scores (by date)

Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (USHSHO) Minnesota High School Hockey Rankings (MinnHock)

Nationwide HS Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey Scores

Midget AAA Hockey National Rankings

NCAA D1 Men's Hockey Rankings

New England Prep School Hockey Rankings

Prep School Hockey Links

Friends of USHSHO and the Forums:

MinnHock

WisconsinPrepHockey.Net

Sponsored Links:

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group