2020 Ms. Hockey discussion

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

2020 Ms. Hockey discussion

Post by j4241 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:23 am

All just my opinions - and please add names I’ve omitted!

Candidates?

Gopher recruits seem to have a leg up for this award (rightly or wrongly), which this year are:

Nicholson (Tonka)
Burton (Blake)
Wethington (Blake)
Jungels (Edina)

Other exceptional seniors:
Delianedis from Blake (Cornell)
Mobley from Breck (Quinnipiac)
Langseth from EP (Mankato)
Bourgerie from NWC - (St. Cloud)
Skelton from NWC (corrrect?) - (Vermont)
Corneliusen from Warroad (Merrimack)
Davis from Edina (UMD)

This is 11 - no doubt more will be candidates for the final 10 - but I would give long odds the winner comes from this list.

My prediction:
Delianedis - best forward on what will be a top 3 team (at least). Was 5th in the state in scoring last year, with Bourgerie the only other players on the list playing AA (and NWC had a much weaker schedule). Delianedis combines elite skill, elite mental and physical quickness, a great vision, a non-stop motor and off-the-charts compete level. Lights up the elite league like a Christmas tree. Biggest challenge will be how strong the surrounding team is, and the odds against them going Blake back-to-back. Burton and Wethington are also both elite seniors, and will no doubt make strong claims of their own for the award. Wethington also benefits from the USA hockey endorsement, playing for the U18 team for the second year.

Couple observations:
Regarding the U18 endorsement - this would seem to favor Nicholson, playing this year for the third time. I think Nicholson is a fantastic D, but she’s no Maddie Wethington, and it’s tough for a D to win an MVP award unless they’re putting up video game points, and I don’t think that’s her game. She also has another D on her team who will look every bit as good as her, which will make it tougher to fight the uphill battle of a D winning.

Mobley will be the best player by a lot on what will nevertheless be a very good Breck team - she would be my runner-up. Although not playing elite league? Not sure why.

The two Edina seniors above are both very good, but I don’t think either is the best player in Minnesota, even if their team ends up being the best.

It’s weird not having a player from the team that might be a pre-season favorite to win state (Andover), but next year they’ll have several candidates.

Langseth will carry the EP team, so will benefit from the spotlight, along with likely very good performance.

Similarly with Corneliusen - she will put up video game points, albeit against a weak schedule.

NWC might just shock the world - and they have two great players.

Obviously a long season, surprises happen, some kids keep getting better, some stop working hard - but thought I’d kick off a discussion.

jg2112

Re: 2020 Ms. Hockey discussion

Post by jg2112 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:56 pm

I'll add one player to the conversation - Steigauf at H-M. She will score a lot of points.

Okay, another - Nelson from Andover will score a ton.

Who would be considered the #2 defender in the 2020 class? Little (Andover)? Robinson (Brainerd)? Ziegler (CDH)? Schuster (Stillwater)?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Hey wait a minute. What is this Davis - UMD business?

j4241

Post by j4241 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Apparently she decommitted from Harvard over the summer, during u18 tryouts, and committed to UMD.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:49 pm

Wow.
Vindication for someone on this Board who brought this up last month.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:15 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:49 pm
Wow.
Vindication for someone on this Board who brought this up last month.
Vindication? No one questioned whether the player withdrew a verbal commitment to Harvard and committed to UMD - that was/is common knowledge.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 pm

I don’t think it was common knowledge when it was posted to this board. Maybe common knowledge is different for us.

Not a big deal. Just giving the guy credit who brought it to the board.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:23 am

jg2112 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 pm
I don’t think it was common knowledge when it was posted to this board. Maybe common knowledge is different for us.

Not a big deal. Just giving the guy credit who brought it to the board.
Must be.

And

I agree, not a big deal.