Canadian Teams

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

tourneytickssince59

Canadian Teams

Post by tourneytickssince59 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:50 pm

How do Canadian Bantam AA, A teams compare with Minnesota Bantam AA, A teams? Are the better Canadian players playing at a Junior level so their association teams are not as good as Minnesota teams? Just curious if anyone has any insight.

Dog

Re: Canadian Teams

Post by Dog » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:30 pm

Like anything, it depends (area/city, association, # kids, etc). Winnepeg and Thunder Bay have very strong top end teams. Canada classifies everything with "A" so the are no B or C teams.
Most times when Canadian teams come down to tourneys in MN, from what I've seen, they're overly fair in where they categorize the team and they get beat up a bit as they probably could play a class down. From my perspective, they re as lize it and don't seem to care ("play the best" type of thought)
Long story, short.... it's Canada.... their top end teams are good... and their kids are typically pretty solid at every level.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am

Interesting, as I've experienced exactly the opposite. One of my kids was a C level player all through youth hockey. Every time we were in a tournament in Minnesota that had Canadian teams in it, they typically looked like B1 level teams. And when we would check their youth club site, it was not their bottom level teams that they were sending down to play in Minnesota C tournaments. At a hotel in Duluth I ended up chatting with a parent (from Neebing if I recall correctly) about why they enter C tournaments instead of B and the response was pretty honest, "Yea, we're not going to travel all the way down here to lose."

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Another thing to keep in mind is that Canadian teams are organized by birthyear. For example, an '05 team would play at the bantam level as would an '06 team. Obviously, you'd expect the '05 AA team to fair much better than the '06 AA team.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:02 pm

tourneytickssince59 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:50 pm
How do Canadian Bantam AA, A teams compare with Minnesota Bantam AA, A teams? Are the better Canadian players playing at a Junior level so their association teams are not as good as Minnesota teams? Just curious if anyone has any insight.

Go to
Bemidji Youth Hockey webpage
They have a rule of thumb conversion chart.