3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Fan/No Fan of the 3 PM

Poll runs till Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:11 pm

3 PM HS Games should be banished from existence, 7:30 is KING!!
7
28%
I am a big fan of 3 PM HS game
7
28%
I ride the fence, don't care
11
44%
 
Total votes: 25

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:11 pm

I checked the Rapidly Declining schedule today to see they have(/had) 7 total 3 PM home games and play on the road for one 2:15 PM game (whaaaat) in Warroad.
What is this nonsense? Do not coaches and AD's know that hockey here in Minny is PRIME TIME 7:30 PM?!! #-o #-o [-X [-X
3 PM is a total buzz kill start for HS hockey games. 2:15 PM Warroad start time is still hang over central, that dog don't hunt!
Matinee HS hockey is for sissies and fanny packers. Regular season is PRIME TIME 7:30 PM just the way God and Gump Worsley intended it to be.
Enough with this 3 o'clock malarkey
Enter ye in and convince me I am wrongheaded and must be shipped to re-education camp.

"The only job worse is a javelin catcher at a track - and - field meet." The Gumper

elliott70
Posts: 13231
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by elliott70 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:17 pm

You’re wrong.

InThePipes
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by InThePipes » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:22 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:17 pm
You’re wrong.
Agree, with some of the travel distances involved in the Northern part of the state in particular, they can't have the players on buses getting home at 2:00 am to accommodate a "prime time" game.

norcon
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 am

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by norcon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 pm

I like the matinee games. It’s nice to get home by a decent time, especially on those below zero days or go to your favorite establishment afterwards and enjoy a cold beverage & something to eat.

blueblood
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Tonka

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by blueblood » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 pm

NWO:

Saturday afternoon games are common between teams from the 612 and the 218 as it allows the visiting team to get home that same day, thus keeping costs down.

You're off to re-education camp in my book
Play Like a Champion Today

Sparlimb
Posts: 1524
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:17 pm

I've had the 3 pm Matinee of the HM girls vs WBL followed by the 7 PM HM boys vs WBL. Had a little stop at the watering hole between games. It all worked out...

So they can be okay...

TTpuckster
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by TTpuckster » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Did you say Malarkey? :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?

goldy313
Posts: 3272
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by goldy313 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:21 pm

As a fan it stinks.

As a parent, my kid getting back to school at 1am then a 25 minute drive on 2 lane highways was a bigger worry.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:55 am

TTpuckster wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm
Did you say Malarkey? :mrgreen:
Bad timing to use that phrase i'd agree :lol:

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:56 am

goldy313 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:21 pm
As a fan it stinks.

As a parent, my kid getting back to school at 1am then a 25 minute drive on 2 lane highways was a bigger worry.
goldy has it figured correct. BOOM!!!

Goose21
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 am

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by Goose21 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:55 am

For those teams that often travel 2,3, 4 or more hours one way there has to be a sacrifice. For the student-athlete it is either missing school to travel or getting home late (sometimes both). Missing school can be really tough for those on a block schedule where missing one class is like really missing two.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

elliott70
Posts: 13231
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:03 am

At my advanced age playing a matinee is great.
It lets me get home by 4:30 for dinner and get to bed by 7:30.

GoldenBear
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:38 am

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:10 am

Kids can't miss school to play sports! Games should start at 7:ish. I'm in Old-timers pocket on this one. GB

TTpuckster
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:26 am
Location: State of Hockey

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by TTpuckster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:17 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:55 am
TTpuckster wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm
Did you say Malarkey? :mrgreen:
Bad timing to use that phrase i'd agree :lol:
Heh, nothing to do with politics.
Everything to do with our age. =P~
What is a Green Wave anyway?

Slap Shot
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:37 am

Get off my lawn!!

InThePipes
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by InThePipes » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:48 am

GoldenBear wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:10 am
Kids can't miss school to play sports! Games should start at 7:ish. I'm in Old-timers pocket on this one. GB
Aren't we talking about Saturdays for the most part?

elliott70
Posts: 13231
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 am

InThePipes wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:48 am
GoldenBear wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:10 am
Kids can't miss school to play sports! Games should start at 7:ish. I'm in Old-timers pocket on this one. GB
Aren't we talking about Saturdays for the most part?
Yes
other than the state tournament

GoldenBear
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:38 am

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 am


InThePipes wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:48 am



GoldenBear wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:10 am
Kids can't miss school to play sports! Games should start at 7:ish. I'm in Old-timers pocket on this one. GB Aren't we talking about Saturdays for the most part? Yes
other than the state tournament

My bad. Old-timer no longer with you. Unless the matinee start conflicts with a good lassy rerun. GB

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:42 am

blueblood wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 pm
NWO:

Saturday afternoon games are common between teams from the 612 and the 218 as it allows the visiting team to get home that same day, thus keeping costs down.

You're off to re-education camp in my book
Saturday 3 PM start + no band = L-A-M-E :lol:

elliott70
Posts: 13231
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:42 am
blueblood wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 pm
NWO:

Saturday afternoon games are common between teams from the 612 and the 218 as it allows the visiting team to get home that same day, thus keeping costs down.

You're off to re-education camp in my book
Saturday 3 PM start + no band = L-A-M-E :lol:
Who in the frick n fac cares about the gall darn band.

Since they no longer have a DIRTY DOZEN - there is no longer a pep band worth listening to in Minnesota.
Geez you are as bad as that Grand Rapids kid that used to play music interludes at the Grand Rapids game.
We are there for the hockey regardless of the time of day.
Just keep getting your old ass off the couch and to the games while you still can.

east hockey
Site Admin
Posts: 6861
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:33 pm
Location: Proctor, MN
Contact:

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by east hockey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:01 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:03 am
At my advanced age playing a matinee is great.
It lets me get home by 4:30 for dinner and get to bed by 7:30.
True, but doesn't that interrupt your 2 p.m. nap?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

elliott70
Posts: 13231
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm

east hockey wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:01 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:03 am
At my advanced age playing a matinee is great.
It lets me get home by 4:30 for dinner and get to bed by 7:30.
True, but doesn't that interrupt your 2 p.m. nap?

Lee
I can sleep through the cheers and whistles, its the dang band that interrupts my naps.
I am good as long as my nurse keeps the blanket on my legs so I don't get chilled.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:37 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:42 am
blueblood wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 pm
NWO:

Saturday afternoon games are common between teams from the 612 and the 218 as it allows the visiting team to get home that same day, thus keeping costs down.

You're off to re-education camp in my book
Saturday 3 PM start + no band = L-A-M-E :lol:
Who in the frick n fac cares about the gall darn band.

Since they no longer have a DIRTY DOZEN - there is no longer a pep band worth listening to in Minnesota.
Got that right!!

Geez you are as bad as that Grand Rapids kid that used to play music interludes at the Grand Rapids game.
LOL must be something in the water :wink:

We are there for the hockey regardless of the time of day.
Just keep getting your old ass off the couch and to the games while you still can.

elliott70
Posts: 13231
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:16 pm

:lol:

Green and White Fan
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:51 pm

Re: 3 PM Matinee Games - BLAH!!

Post by Green and White Fan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:04 pm

With travel distances for a lot of teams, I understand the earlier start times. It is better for the kids, but worse for the fans and the hockey atmosphere. I even see an attendance drop when home games in Roseau start at 6:00. A lot of people still come, but many miss the start or the first period. Times have changed.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

Post Reply