Greatest Games That Never Were

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
karl(east)
Posts: 6240
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by karl(east) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:38 pm

This seems like a fitting topic given our lack of sports right now. Which games do you wish would have happened, but never did?

For example, Lakeville North vs. Edina in 2015: two-time defending state champ versus the undefeated #1. I realize they did play in the regular season, but that would've been a final for the ages...but Duluth East had other ideas.

Or perhaps it could be matchup of great teams from different years, like that Lakeville North team vs. 93 Jefferson. Who else would you want to see play?

jdh
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:10 am

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by jdh » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:47 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:38 pm
This seems like a fitting topic given our lack of sports right now. Which games do you wish would have happened, but never did?

For example, Lakeville North vs. Edina in 2015: two-time defending state champ versus the undefeated #1. I realize they did play in the regular season, but that would've been a final for the ages...but Duluth East had other ideas.

Or perhaps it could be matchup of great teams from different years, like that Lakeville North team vs. 93 Jefferson. Who else would you want to see play?
1966 International Falls vs 1993 Jefferson. The I Falls teams of the 60s were awesome. Would have been a barn burner.

WestMetro
Posts: 2895
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by WestMetro » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:56 pm

How about semis and championship between the last 4 undefeated teams:

74 Edina
83 Hill
93 Jags
15 LVN

Hunters1993
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by Hunters1993 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:18 pm

This is a lay up question. I wish I could have seen Hermantown playing in the class AA tourney from 2012 to present. Watch those great players play against the teams that they have beaten during the season. To see the Hermantown faithful fill the X on a Friday night playing a metro power and keeping up with them step by step. Watching a northern power make a serious run at a class AA title! But alas we never did.
How many c-chip games will it take Hawks?

Wise Old Man
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by Wise Old Man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:02 am

From a Duluth area perspective, I'd offer that any of the times East could've played either Hermantown or Marshall over the last 15 years. And, I know I'm not the only one who feels that way... :mrgreen:

BodyShots
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by BodyShots » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:50 am

Dave Spehar against the Centennial team that didn't give up a goal throughout the whole tournament. Could he have scored against them?

WestMetro
Posts: 2895
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by WestMetro » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am

Good one Body Shots!

chester1991
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by chester1991 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:40 am

Here are a few could of been State Championship games from the 1980's

1982 Edina vs Hibbing with Pat Micheletti

1984 Edina vs St Paul Johnson

1986 Hibbing vs Burnsville

1987 Kennedy vs Warroad with Larry Olimb

1988 Hill Murray vs Warroad with Larry Olimb

mnmouth
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by mnmouth » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am

1979 - Grand Rapids vs Edina East - This game would have occurred in the semifinals, but Rapids lost to Roseau in the quarters. Many say this was Grand Rapids' best team in their 1972-81 run of greatness.

1982 - Hibbing vs Edina. Hibbing looked like a free wheeling, well oiled machine in the quarterfinals, but looked completely out of sync in their loss against Mariner in the State semifinals. No doubt Mariner had an excellent team that year, but the Bluejackets were loaded with D1 prospects. And their top line of Pat Micheletti and the Hooper twins was incomparable. The Hibbing players I've talked to over the years insist that a team-wide bout of food poisoning derailed them that day.

1982 - Cloquet, if they'd had a healthy Corey Millen, vs any team.

1986 - Hibbing vs Burnsville - Hibbing's last great team in the 80s. Derailed by Hill Murray for the 2nd year in a row.

1993 - Cloquet vs Jefferson - When Rick Mrozik went end to end to give Cloquet a 5-4 lead over Moorhead in their quarterfinal matchup, many envisioned a date with Hill Murray in the semis that would become a Jefferson-Cloquet final. Not to be. Moorhead had a great team that year with Matt Cullen, Josh Arnold, Ryan Kraft, Jeremy Gregoire, et al, but it would have been fun to see Cloquet's top line of Novak-Langenbrunner-Petrov matched up against the undefeated Jaguars.

1996 - Duluth East vs Edina - The 5 OT loss to Apple Valley deprived the Greyhounds of thumping Edina in the final.

2001 - Greenway vs Elk River - Not sure any team (aside from Hastings maybe) would have beaten Elk River that year, but this may have been Greenway's best team since 1970 (with apologies to the '87 club that was damn good), A Raiders-Elks final would have been fun.

DubCHAGuy
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by DubCHAGuy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:12 pm

If the one class tourney still existed-

2005 section 8 final between Warroad and Moorhead. They tied during the regular season and both went into state tournament ranked #1 in their class. They were far and away thought of as #1 & 2 overall throughout the regular season.

Doc Holliday
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: SW Suburbs

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by Doc Holliday » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:13 pm

-1986: Edina vs. anybody (probably Edina's best team ever to not make state)
-1991: Darby & Richfield vs. Hill-Murray
-1993: Jefferson vs. a collection of the best from Moorhead/Hill-Murray/Cloquet.
-1995: A best of 7 between Duluth East & Jefferson:This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I still believe Jefferson was the better team....it just wasn't their night.
-2000: Section final between Elk River & Blaine
-2009: Edina (with a healthy Budish) vs. Eden Prairie.
-2012: Duluth East vs Benilde
-2015: Lakeville North vs. Edina (with a healthy Malmquist). I still believe Lakeville North would have triumphed; better overall defense & big edge goaltending.
-2018: Minnetonka vs. Edina (would have loved to see Tonka have to win the title over their biggest al-time nemesis. They couldn't get it done in 2010 & would have loved to see if they could have in 2018).

mnmouth
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by mnmouth » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:13 pm

-1995: A best of 7 between Duluth East & Jefferson:This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I still believe Jefferson was the better team....it just wasn't their night.
An interesting take. Jefferson missed on 2-3 golden opportunities that likely would have led to a different game, certainly not a 5-0 blowout. But East, with Spehar and Locker raising the level of play of an already talented roster, was the better team. Still, would have been a must-see best of 7

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by defense » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:46 pm

I know many don't care, but would've been interesting to have Fergus Falls v Red Wing 2002 state A championship instead of RW v T-G. This was in the era that private schools were taking over, would have been a great game for two similar programs at the time.

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:06 pm

1991 State Final HM vs. Anoka

In 1991, Hill & Anoka were in the same conference, the Twin Cities Federation, one of the greatest hockey conferences this state has seen. They met on a Saturday night in the old arena in Anoka for the final regular season game for both teams. I don't recall what either was ranked at the time.

Steve Magnuson was the top player for the Tornadoes. He went on to play for the Golden Rats, leaving before his senior year under less than honorable circumstances. I think this might have been the best Anoka team ever.

This is when state tournament bracket were determined by a set 7 year rotation. These two teams would be in opposite brackets. I had them penciled in for the final

The last regular season game was one of the best games I've ever seen. The house was packed. It was a very even game, with rushed up & down the ice. Every shift was a battle. Every loose puck was fiercely fought over. Not a single player could take a shift off. The crowd hung on every play, the atmosphere was as intense as I've seen at any game.

Bot teams had an apparent goal overturned, both times without a hint of controversy. The Anoka goal that was overturned happened on a breakaway. Off sides was whistled, but no one could hear the whistle, not with the noise that crowd was making.

Play was like that for 2 1/2 periods. Both teams playing their best hockey. The pace was hot & fast from the first face-off & it didn't let up in the 3rd period.

Then Anoka finally scored. The building erupted. Then the game changed dramatically.

For the last half period, Hill pressed the attack, wave after wave. It was all Anoka could do to hold on. But they did. It was the most exciting 1-0 game I've ever been to. Even though Hill lost, I didn't mind a bit. We were playing great at the right time of year, and I fully expected to see a re-match in 3 weeks, at 7th & Kellogg.

I wish I could give more detail on the game, but that was a long time ago, & I've seen a lot of hockey since then. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Anoka was in the old Section 2, formed after the entry of the privates in 1975. It had the Duluth schools, Cloquet, the St. Cloud Schools, and most of the northern suburbs. The Tornadoes met a good but not great Cloquet in the section semifinal at the Coliseum. I didn't see the game, and only recall reading about the Lumberjack's upset in the PiPress. The sports writer noted that, after the game, on the chalk board in the Cloquet dressing room were the words:

They will take us lightly
We will end their season


Karl's Hounds beat the Lumberjacks in the section final, surprising many when they finished runner-up to Hill, after giving up two 2 goal leads.

chester1991
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by chester1991 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 am

East Side Pioneer Guy:

Steve Magnuson of Anoka played his senior of 1991 at Anoka. He did not leave for juniors. He played his freshmen year for the Gophers in 1991-92. Just an FYI

bardown27
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by bardown27 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 am

chester1991 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 am
East Side Pioneer Guy:

Steve Magnuson of Anoka played his senior of 1991 at Anoka. He did not leave for juniors. He played his freshmen year for the Gophers in 1991-92. Just an FYI
I'm guessing he meant he left the Gophers after his junior year

gitter
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by gitter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 am

What a fun read East Side!

O-townClown
Posts: 3994
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:16 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:06 pm
They will take us lightly
We will end their season
This is awesome!
Be kind. Rewind.

karl(east)
Posts: 6240
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by karl(east) » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 pm

Fun story, ESPG. Anoka was the top seed in the metro bracket of Region 2 that year, and they did beat East by a goal in their regular season meeting, so they were almost certainly the favorites there. Interestingly enough, I was a resident of Anoka at that time, though I was also one, so I think I can be forgiven for not remembering much about that Tornado squad.

defense
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by defense » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:19 am

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:06 pm
1991 State Final HM vs. Anoka

In 1991, Hill & Anoka were in the same conference, the Twin Cities Federation, one of the greatest hockey conferences this state has seen. They met on a Saturday night in the old arena in Anoka for the final regular season game for both teams. I don't recall what either was ranked at the time.

Steve Magnuson was the top player for the Tornadoes. He went on to play for the Golden Rats, leaving before his senior year under less than honorable circumstances. I think this might have been the best Anoka team ever.

This is when state tournament bracket were determined by a set 7 year rotation. These two teams would be in opposite brackets. I had them penciled in for the final

The last regular season game was one of the best games I've ever seen. The house was packed. It was a very even game, with rushed up & down the ice. Every shift was a battle. Every loose puck was fiercely fought over. Not a single player could take a shift off. The crowd hung on every play, the atmosphere was as intense as I've seen at any game.

Bot teams had an apparent goal overturned, both times without a hint of controversy. The Anoka goal that was overturned happened on a breakaway. Off sides was whistled, but no one could hear the whistle, not with the noise that crowd was making.

Play was like that for 2 1/2 periods. Both teams playing their best hockey. The pace was hot & fast from the first face-off & it didn't let up in the 3rd period.

Then Anoka finally scored. The building erupted. Then the game changed dramatically.

For the last half period, Hill pressed the attack, wave after wave. It was all Anoka could do to hold on. But they did. It was the most exciting 1-0 game I've ever been to. Even though Hill lost, I didn't mind a bit. We were playing great at the right time of year, and I fully expected to see a re-match in 3 weeks, at 7th & Kellogg.

I wish I could give more detail on the game, but that was a long time ago, & I've seen a lot of hockey since then. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Anoka was in the old Section 2, formed after the entry of the privates in 1975. It had the Duluth schools, Cloquet, the St. Cloud Schools, and most of the northern suburbs. The Tornadoes met a good but not great Cloquet in the section semifinal at the Coliseum. I didn't see the game, and only recall reading about the Lumberjack's upset in the PiPress. The sports writer noted that, after the game, on the chalk board in the Cloquet dressing room were the words:

They will take us lightly
We will end their season


Karl's Hounds beat the Lumberjacks in the section final, surprising many when they finished runner-up to Hill, after giving up two 2 goal leads.
Thank you for a great rundown. Very entertaining. Keep it up

chester1991
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by chester1991 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am

karl(east) wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 pm
Fun story, ESPG. Anoka was the top seed in the metro bracket of Region 2 that year, and they did beat East by a goal in their regular season meeting, so they were almost certainly the favorites there. Interestingly enough, I was a resident of Anoka at that time, though I was also one, so I think I can be forgiven for not remembering much about that Tornado squad.

The 1990-91 Anoka team was the Star Tribune pre season #1 team in the State. They also had two guys get drafted in the 1991 NHL draft, Reimann and Magnusson. One of their top forwards Dan McAlister was injured in football and did not play that hockey season. The fall of 1990, the Anoka football team won the big school football championship with 7 or 8 hockey guys on the team. Very special group of multi sport atheletes.

Doc Holliday
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: SW Suburbs

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by Doc Holliday » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 am

chester1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am
The 1990-91 Anoka team was the Star Tribune pre season #1 team in the State. They also had two guys get drafted in the 1991 NHL draft, Reimann and Magnusson. One of their top forwards Dan McAlister was injured in football and did not play that hockey season. The fall of 1990, the Anoka football team won the big school football championship with 7 or 8 hockey guys on the team. Very special group of multi sport atheletes.
Wasn't their #1 goalie injured for the playoffs too? Returning goalie who was on the '90 tournament team that lost to Grand Rapids in OT in the semis.

chester1991
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by chester1991 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 am
chester1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am
The 1990-91 Anoka team was the Star Tribune pre season #1 team in the State. They also had two guys get drafted in the 1991 NHL draft, Reimann and Magnusson. One of their top forwards Dan McAlister was injured in football and did not play that hockey season. The fall of 1990, the Anoka football team won the big school football championship with 7 or 8 hockey guys on the team. Very special group of multi sport atheletes.
Wasn't their #1 goalie injured for the playoffs too? Returning goalie who was on the '90 tournament team that lost to Grand Rapids in OT in the semis.

I believe Adam Flint was in nets. Not 100% sure.

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 pm

chester1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am
karl(east) wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 pm
Fun story, ESPG. Anoka was the top seed in the metro bracket of Region 2 that year, and they did beat East by a goal in their regular season meeting, so they were almost certainly the favorites there. Interestingly enough, I was a resident of Anoka at that time, though I was also one, so I think I can be forgiven for not remembering much about that Tornado squad.

The 1990-91 Anoka team was the Star Tribune pre season #1 team in the State. They also had two guys get drafted in the 1991 NHL draft, Reimann and Magnusson. One of their top forwards Dan McAlister was injured in football and did not play that hockey season. The fall of 1990, the Anoka football team won the big school football championship with 7 or 8 hockey guys on the team. Very special group of multi sport atheletes.
That was not at all uncommon in that era, for a big suburban school to win the AA football championship with several hockey players on the rooster then have a great hockey season too. Typically they'd have a slow start to the hockey season. I think that happened with Burnsville in the mid 80's, and some other schools too.

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Greatest Games That Never Were

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 am
chester1991 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 am
East Side Pioneer Guy:

Steve Magnuson of Anoka played his senior of 1991 at Anoka. He did not leave for juniors. He played his freshmen year for the Gophers in 1991-92. Just an FYI
I'm guessing he meant he left the Gophers after his junior year
Yeah, it was still pretty uncommon for high school players to leave early for juniors then. I think Trent Klatt was one of the first. He played juniors before & after his senior season at Osseo in the late 80's. He regretted it, saying he was hockeyed-out after playing so much. He ended up being drafted later than anticipated before is senior year.

I recall Woog being vague about why Magnusson left the program.

Post Reply